The Data Breach Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: The Data Breach Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thankfully for me, that was one of the ones I used LastPass to generate a random password for.

Although at this point, it just feels like spitting in the ocean. I'm just about to give up on any kind of silly security measures when seemingly everybody gets hacked eventually.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

DISQUS:

https://blog.disqus.com/security-alert-user-info-breach

Security Alert: User Info Breach
Posted by Jason Yan on October 06, 2017

Yesterday, on October 5th, we were alerted to a security breach that impacted a database from 2012. While we are still investigating the incident, we believe that it is best to share what we know now. We know that a snapshot of our user database from 2012, including information dating back to 2007, was exposed. The snapshot includes email addresses, Disqus user names, sign-up dates, and last login dates in plain text for 17.5mm users. Additionally, passwords (hashed using SHA1 with a salt; not in plain text) for about one-third of users are included.

We sincerely apologize to all of our users who were affected by this breach. Our intention is to be as transparent as possible about what happened, when we found out, what the potential consequences may be, and what we are doing about it.

2012 and just now finding out about it?! Wow.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I wish everyone would move to authenticators and call it a day.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Equifax website borked again, this time to redirect to fake Flash update
For several hours on Wednesday, and again early Thursday morning, the site was maliciously manipulated again, this time to deliver fraudulent Adobe Flash updates, which when clicked, infected visitors' computers with adware that was detected by only three of 65 antivirus providers.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

Reading the whole article, it looks like a 3rd party adserver was the source, rather than a direct hack of Equifax.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stessier wrote:Reading the whole article, it looks like a 3rd party adserver was the source, rather than a direct hack of Equifax.
Yeah, those are fairly common since the website owners will contract with an ad-aggregator who may or may not be vetting their ad providers properly. Now, while I'm not surprised when Wowhead or Buzzfeed do it, but I'd think that any company at the level of Equifax will be a little more discerning when slapping an ad-spinning blackbox on their page.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

After Wannacry, my company has been diligently scanning our network for vulnerabilities. The vast majority of them have been vendor-owned devices that are not being patched by the vendors. Some of these had to be removed entirely when the vendor was unwilling or unable to comply.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote:Reading the whole article, it looks like a 3rd party adserver was the source, rather than a direct hack of Equifax.
Again, this is the reason why even if I trust your website, I will not whitelist you in my ad blocker.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:
Again, this is the reason why even if I trust your website, I will not whitelist you in my ad blocker.
Indeed. The fact that sites disclaim responsibility for content served to their visitors is... not cool.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"WPA2 security flaw puts almost every Wi-Fi device at risk of hijack, eavesdropping"

Yeesh.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wpa2-secur ... fi-device/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wpa2-secur ... fi-device/

Hey, lookey there, we don't need tags when posting links anymore! Woot
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Microsoft:
The company did not disclose the extent of the attack to the public or its customers after its discovery in 2013, but the five former employees described it to Reuters in separate interviews. Microsoft declined to discuss the incident.

The database contained descriptions of critical and unfixed vulnerabilities in some of the most widely used software in the world, including the Windows operating system. Spies for governments around the globe and other hackers covet such information because it shows them how to create tools for electronic break-ins.

The Microsoft flaws were fixed likely within months of the hack, according to the former employees. Yet speaking out for the first time, these former employees as well as U.S. officials informed of the breach by Reuters said it alarmed them because the hackers could have used the data at the time to mount attacks elsewhere, spreading their reach into government and corporate networks.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

All your basic utilities are belong to us!
The Department of Homeland Security and Federal Bureau of Investigation warned in a report distributed via email late on Friday that the nuclear, energy, aviation, water and critical manufacturing industries have been targeted along with government entities in attacks dating back to at least May.

The agencies warned that hackers had succeeded in compromising some targeted networks, but did not identify specific victims or describe any cases of sabotage.

The objective of the attackers is to compromise organizational networks with malicious emails and tainted websites to obtain credentials for accessing computer networks of their targets, the report said.

U.S. authorities have been monitoring the activity for months, which they initially detailed in a confidential June report first reported by Reuters. That document, which was privately distributed to firms at risk of attacks, described a narrower set of activity focusing on the nuclear, energy and critical manufacturing sectors.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Intel chips
SECURITY RESEARCHERS HAVE raised the alarm for years about the Intel remote administration feature known as the Management Engine. The platform has a lot of useful features for IT managers, but it requires deep system access that offers a tempting target for attackers; compromising the Management Engine could lead to full control of a given computer. Now, after several research groups have uncovered ME bugs, Intel has confirmed that those worst-case fears may be possible.

On Monday, the chipmaker released a security advisory that lists new vulnerabilities in ME, as well as bugs in the remote server management tool Server Platform Services, and Intel’s hardware authentication tool Trusted Execution Engine. Intel found the vulnerabilities after conducting a security audit spurred by recent research. It has also published a Detection Tool so Windows and Linux administrators can check their systems to see if they're exposed.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Whew. For reasons I can't explain, perhaps paranoia, Trusted Execution Engine., looked like TPM, as in the Trusted Platform Module behind chip level encryption and I thought I was truly fubar.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TPM was last month.

No, really.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:05 pm TPM was last month.

No, really.
https://thehackernews.com/2017/10/rsa-e ... -keys.html

Thanx... Sigh...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Uber.

"Uber Discloses Data Breach, Kept Secret for a Year, Affecting 57 Million Accounts"

NYT if you have access...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Inexcusable.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Uber did something shady? Excuse me while I fetch the fainting couch and pearls.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heh
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is sort of breachesque...

“Suspicious” event routes traffic for big-name sites through Russia
Traffic sent to and from Google, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft was briefly routed through a previously unknown Russian Internet provider Wednesday under circumstances researchers said was suspicious and intentional.

The unexplained incident involving the Internet's Border Gateway Protocol is the latest to raise troubling questions about the trust and reliability of communications sent over the global network. BGP routes large-scale amounts of traffic among Internet backbones, ISPs, and other large networks. But despite the sensitivity and amount of data it controls, BGP's security is often based on trust and word of mouth. Wednesday's event comes eight months after large chunks of network traffic belonging to MasterCard, Visa, and more than two dozen other financial services were briefly routed through a Russian government-controlled telecom, also under suspicious circumstances.

According to a blog post published Wednesday by Internet monitoring service BGPMon, the hijack lasted a total of six minutes and affected 80 separate address blocks. It started at 4:43 UTC and continued for three minutes. A second hijacking occurred at 7:07 UTC and also lasted three minutes. Meanwhile, a second monitoring service, Qrator Labs, said the event lasted for two hours, although the number of hijacked address blocks varied from 40 to 80 during that time.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Today's CPU vulnerability: what you need to know
Last year, Google’s Project Zero team discovered serious security flaws caused by “speculative execution,” a technique used by most modern processors (CPUs) to optimize performance.

The Project Zero researcher, Jann Horn, demonstrated that malicious actors could take advantage of speculative execution to read system memory that should have been inaccessible. For example, an unauthorized party may read sensitive information in the system’s memory such as passwords, encryption keys, or sensitive information open in applications. Testing also showed that an attack running on one virtual machine was able to access the physical memory of the host machine, and through that, gain read-access to the memory of a different virtual machine on the same host.

These vulnerabilities affect many CPUs, including those from AMD, ARM, and Intel, as well as the devices and operating systems running on them.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

This one (well, these two) is really ridiculously bad. I read the paper they put out for one of them.
In a nutshell, they've demonstrated reading arbitrary memory from the host browser process from Javascript. This means that a random website you visit can get your passwords for other sites, for example.

One of the exploits (Meltdown) seemingly only affects Intel processors so far, but the other one (Spectre) affects everything.

Keep everything updated. OS, browser, applications, everything. On every device you own. There'll be patches for every computing device you own in the next few days or weeks and you should get them. Or better still, throw it all in a ditch, light it on fire, salt it and bury it, and wait about 3 years for completely new CPU designs to buy any new ones.
Twitter: joerumz
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

On Reddit they said MS has already updated Win 10.
Black Lives Matter
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Yes and no. They have patched it. Linux kernels have been patched as well. But these are mitigations, not fixes. It’s not yet clear that it’s even possible to completely fix Spectre in software. It may need whole new CPU architectures, which will take years.

It’s not just the OS you need to worry about! Chrome is vulnerable to malicious websites stealing data and has not been patched yet. I don’t believe Firefox or any other browser is immune, but if you want to be extra careful, you should use the least popular browser you can find.
Twitter: joerumz
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Indeed--you'll need the Windows patches, plus app patches, plus Intel/AMD firmware updates, plus in some cases Windows registry changes.

This one is a big pile o dung.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm fairly computer literate, and I barely know where to start. I can't imagine Joe User is going to have a shot in hell.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tiny ogre wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 amI don’t believe Firefox or any other browser is immune, but if you want to be extra careful, you should use the least popular browser you can find.
I knew all those AOL CD's I've been storing for years would come in handy one day. It's back to the stone age of computing, bitches! :P
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

tiny ogre wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am Yes and no. They have patched it. Linux kernels have been patched as well. But these are mitigations, not fixes. It’s not yet clear that it’s even possible to completely fix Spectre in software. It may need whole new CPU architectures, which will take years.

It’s not just the OS you need to worry about! Chrome is vulnerable to malicious websites stealing data and has not been patched yet. I don’t believe Firefox or any other browser is immune, but if you want to be extra careful, you should use the least popular browser you can find.
Which is the least popular? Vivaldi? Maxthon? UC Browser?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:39 pm
tiny ogre wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am Yes and no. They have patched it. Linux kernels have been patched as well. But these are mitigations, not fixes. It’s not yet clear that it’s even possible to completely fix Spectre in software. It may need whole new CPU architectures, which will take years.

Which is the least popular? Vivaldi? Maxthon? UC Browser?
Implement Chrome's site isolation.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 pm Implement Chrome's site isolation.
Ooof!
"Site isolation will increase Chrome's memory use by approximately 10–20%"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 pm
Ooof!
Security ain't free.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 pm
Ooof!
Security ain't free.
Yeah, or convenient, usually. I think that point is being driven home to mainstream users these past couple of years, more and more, with 2 factor authent. etc being implemented more and more commonly (suggested/required by many vendors).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am now logged in with QupZIlla, about the most obscure browser I could find, and uninstalled google chrome.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Disable javascript in addition to running an adblocker. Every proof of concept I've seen uses javascript, so at least use a toggle.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hover text:
New zero-day vulnerability: In addition to rowhammer, it turns out lots of servers are vulnerable to regular hammers, too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter