The Data Breach Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smutly

Re: The Data Breach Thread

Post by Smutly »

Freyland wrote:Is them selling their stock really an issue? I do note in the article the three cover themselves by saying they didn't know about the beach (uh huh). Regardless, be gentle, I'm ignorant about these rules.
A huge issue. If they're selling stock then someone else is buying it. If they have inside information which says the stock will go down (which is certainly has), then they sold someone a security that they knew wasn't worth what they sold it. It's called 'insider trading'.

Apparently I *may* have been affected (i.e. I have been affected). I guess I'll sign up for their complimentary identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services. Great.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It stinks to high heaven of insider trading, given that all three dumped stock 3 days after the breach was discovered.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Smutly wrote:
Freyland wrote:Is them selling their stock really an issue? I do note in the article the three cover themselves by saying they didn't know about the beach (uh huh). Regardless, be gentle, I'm ignorant about these rules.
A huge issue. If they're selling stock then someone else is buying it. If they have inside information which says the stock will go down (which is certainly has), then they sold someone a security that they knew wasn't worth what they sold it. It's called 'insider trading'.

Apparently I *may* have been affected (i.e. I have been affected). I guess I'll sign up for their complimentary identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services. Great.
Then they should be toast. Who makes them into toast, again?

Sorry about your situation. I had best check myself.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Freyland wrote:Who makes them into toast, again?
The SEC (Securities Exchange Commission). The gub'mint.
Black Lives Matter*

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I "may be impacted". Thanx Equifax.

I am OK with a credit freeze. I'm not sure I'm OK with paying for one.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:If you go through their website they set up, you can enter your last name and last 6 of your Soc # to see if you have been impacted. Based on mine and wife's - they do not believe either of us has been impacted, but we can still sign up for 1 year of their free credit monitoring.

So... if they don't think you're in the 1/2 of the country that has been impacted, do you sign up for free credit monitoring from someone who just got hacked? :think:
Heh. I wouldn't put much faith in their automated website's ability to accurately determine or predict the risk of identity theft with any degree of accuracy. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," particularly in terms of identity theft. I'd also steer clear of any 'credit monitoring' services, as they're little more than futile security theatre anyway.

A credit freeze remains the best way to protect yourself from identity theft, period and amen. Because it simply adds dual-factor authentication to the notion of establishing any new credit in your name. Think of it as adding a 'Blizzard Authenticator' to secure your identity and credit, rather than a Battle.net account.
In related news...

If you want help from Equifax, there are strings attached
CNN.com wrote: Equifax is offering help for people whose personal information was hacked -- but there are big strings attached.

The credit reporting agency announced Thursday that the personal information of as many as 143 million people was compromised in a data breach between May and July. The stolen data includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver's license numbers.

If your information was exposed, Equifax is offering free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services. But the offer comes with some conditions that may make you think twice.

You can't get help right away. When people enter their last name and part of their Social Security number on the site to see whether they were affected, some are being told: "Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident."

But even in that case, Equifax is not offering the credit monitoring service until next week at the earliest. Monday is the first day you can sign up.

You give up your right to sue Equifax. If you get the credit monitoring service, you must agree to submit any complaints against Equifax to arbitration. You can't sue on your own behalf, and you can't join a class-action case or benefit from any class-action settlement that Equifax agrees to.

The federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau recently rolled out rules against these kinds of arbitration requirements by banks and credit card issuers, but not credit monitoring agencies. Republicans in Congress have introduced legislation that would roll back those rules.

Equifax isn't promising help fixing your credit: Equifax will agree only to monitor your credit, not help you fix any problems arising from the hack. "We do not offer, provide, or furnish any products, or any advice, counseling, or assistance, for the express or implied purpose of improving your credit record, credit history, or credit rating," the company in its 7,200-word terms and conditions. "By this we mean that we do not claim we can 'clean up' or 'improve' your credit record, credit history, or credit rating."

Equifax did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.
Again, the best option by far -- regardless of this particular hack -- is simply a credit freeze. Bear in mind, freezing your credit deprives credit rating agencies of their primary business, which is why they instead prefer to foist their bullshit securitiy theatre 'monitoring services' upon unsuspecting customers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote:I "may be impacted". Thanx Equifax.

I am OK with a credit freeze. I'm not sure I'm OK with paying for one.
The fees are waived if and when you become a victim of identity theft. Of course, waiting for that to occur would just be shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. So even if it costs you a full $30 to freeze your credit with all three agencies, it's undeniably money well-spent.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yep credit freeze is easily the best solution and $30 is a drop in the bucket at this point. I am affected but won't be taking them up on their kind offer to monitor my credit via their own company. And then not be responsible for helping me when that monitoring detects I have had my identity stolen. On top I am solidly sure that in a year they will be billing me for this service and it'll be a complete pain in the ass to cancel.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm thinking about it. $30 one time is nothing. I just hate the idea of spending $60 every time I need to open a new line of credit, ie, open an account with pretty much anyone anywhere or decide to buy a car, even if I don't take a loan.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

So I decided to go with the credit freeze. I was able to do Equifax and Experian, but apparently TransUnion is having issues right now. Equifax was free (I assume because of the BS going on), but Experian was $10. I expect TransUnion to be another $10. So, should be able to get it done for $20.
Black Lives Matter*

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:I'm thinking about it. $30 one time is nothing. I just hate the idea of spending $60 every time I need to open a new line of credit, ie, open an account with pretty much anyone anywhere or decide to buy a car, even if I don't take a loan.
You can request temporary lifts for either a date range or a particular party. Michigan says it's $10 for either for Equifax, probably the same for the others. If you need a temp lift, you can probably get by with just lifting it for whomever they use rather than all three.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Thanks for pointing this out. I was going to sign up, but not now. Frankly, I'm seriously considering paying for my own credit monitoring, billing them, and then filing in small claims court to be reimbursed. There's no way I'm giving up my rights against them if things go south on me.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hah, Equifax has bowed to the pressure:
After public pressure, Equifax added an opt-out provision on Friday. Customers can get out of the arbitration requirement by notifying Equifax in writing within 30 days of accepting the monitoring service.

And Alex Southwell, a privacy lawyer at Gibson Dunn and a former federal prosecutor in New York, said the original rules still left room for people to sue Equifax over the original hack, even if they can't sue over the credit monitoring.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/08/technol ... index.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Freyland wrote:
Max Peck wrote:Equifax says hack potentially exposed details of 143 million consumers
Equifax Inc (EFX.N), a provider of consumer credit scores, said on Thursday a hack exposed the personal details of potentially 143 million U.S. consumers between mid-May and July.

The company’s shares were down 5.4 percent in after-market trading

The company said criminals had accessed details including names, social security numbers, and, in some cases, driver’s license numbers.

In addition, credit card numbers of around 209,000 U.S. consumers and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information of around 182,000 U.S. consumers were accessed, the company said.

Equifax also said personal information of certain UK and Canadian residents were also hacked.

The Atlanta-based company it would work with UK and Canadian regulators to determine the next steps.

Equifax, which discovered the unauthorized access on July 29, said it had hired a cybersecurity firm to investigate the breach.

The company said there was no evidence of a breach into its core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases.
Three Equifax Managers Sold Stock Before Cyber Hack Was Revealed
Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach that may have compromised information on about 143 million U.S. consumers.

The credit-reporting service said late Thursday in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 pre-scheduled trading plans.

Equifax said in the statement that intruders accessed names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver’s-license numbers, as well as credit-card numbers for about 209,000 consumers. The incident ranks among the largest cybersecurity breaches in history.

Equifax shares tumbled 6.2 percent to $133.90 in extended trading at 5:50 p.m. in New York. Marisa Salcines, a spokeswoman for the Atlanta-based company, didn’t immediately return a call for comment.
Good to see that they had their priorities straight when it came to managing the incident.
Is them selling their stock really an issue? I do note in the article the three cover themselves by saying they didn't know about the beach (uh huh). Regardless, be gentle, I'm ignorant about these rules.
It's an issue if they act on information that is not publicly available. That's insider trading.

The SEC should be investigating soon. How the CFO wasn't aware of the breach, as equfax contends, is beyond me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Smutly wrote:So I decided to go with the credit freeze. I was able to do Equifax and Experian, but apparently TransUnion is having issues right now. Equifax was free (I assume because of the BS going on), but Experian was $10. I expect TransUnion to be another $10. So, should be able to get it done for $20.
If their site is down, you can also contact the credit bureau(s) by phone to get the ball rolling:
  • Equifax: dial 888-298-0045 and ask to freeze your report.
  • TransUnion: dial 800-916-8800 and ask to freeze your report.
  • Experian: dial 714-830-7000 and ask to freeze your report.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Poor Innovis. Always forgotten behind the other three.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Isgrimnur wrote:Poor Innovis. Always forgotten behind the other three.
And ChexSystems...
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone have stats on how often/likely it is that someone opens a credit line in your name? Just curious if even worth the credit freeze unless it's relatively common.
Anonymous Bosch

FWIW, you can freeze Innovis here, or by phone at 800-540-2505. And you can freeze ChexSystems here, or by phone at 800-887-7652.

Krebs on Security also has an excellent Q&A on the subject of credit security freezes here. Speaking of which, Krebs suggests the following regarding ChexSystems:
KrebsOnSecurity.com wrote:Q: Okay, I’ve got a security freeze on my file, what else should I do?

A: It’s also a good idea to notify a company called ChexSystems to keep an eye out for fraud committed in your name. Thousands of banks rely on ChexSystems to verify customers that are requesting new checking and savings accounts, and ChexSystems lets consumers place a security alert on their credit data to make it more difficult for ID thieves to fraudulently obtain checking and savings accounts. For more information on doing that with ChexSystems, see this link.
Unlike freezing, placing the security alert with ChexSystems is free, though it's only good for 90-days at a time.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Anyone have stats on how often/likely it is that someone opens a credit line in your name? Just curious if even worth the credit freeze unless it's relatively common.
Only credit card companies would know that for sure, but unless you like giant credit charges and mortgages taken out from shaky mortgage companies you should probably do it.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thank you for the wealth of info AB. I will be engaging this stuff the weekend. I've had a long standing paranoia over ID theft, to the point that I literally check my financial accounts every day, and this could go a good way toward abating some of the paranoia about the things I can't see.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:If their site is down
It's back up. Got it done with the big 3.
Black Lives Matter*

Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote:Thank you for the wealth of info AB. I will be engaging this stuff the weekend. I've had a long standing paranoia over ID theft, to the point that I literally check my financial accounts every day, and this could go a good way toward abating some of the paranoia about the things I can't see.
Glad to help.

Considering the wealth of personal information that was compromised in this latest Equifax hack (e.g. social security numbers, credit cards, driver's license numbers, etc), I'd say your 'paranoid' behaviour now seems only prudent.

As Intel boffin Andy Grove famously put it, "Only the Paranoid Survive."
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: (quoted from cnn)
The federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau recently rolled out rules against these kinds of arbitration requirements by banks and credit card issuers, but not credit monitoring agencies. Republicans in Congress have introduced legislation that would roll back those rules.
Thank you, Republicans, for looking out for us. Oh wait, once again you're not.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Bad Demographic wrote:Thank you, Republicans, for looking out for us. Oh wait, once again you're not.
Not necessary here. There is a forum dedicated to Republican bashing. Please take it there. Thanks.
Black Lives Matter*

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Thank you for the wealth of info AB. I will be engaging this stuff the weekend. I've had a long standing paranoia over ID theft, to the point that I literally check my financial accounts every day, and this could go a good way toward abating some of the paranoia about the things I can't see.
Glad to help.

Considering the wealth of personal information that was compromised in this latest Equifax hack (e.g. social security numbers, credit cards, driver's license numbers, etc), I'd say your 'paranoid' behaviour now seems only prudent.

As Intel boffin Andy Grove famously put it, "Only the Paranoid Survive."
I did Equifax over the Internet for my $10 (harumph). Neither Experian nor Transunion worked for me. I'll try calling on Monday, though I suspect their phone lines are swamped. I have no urge to go by certified mail, though I suppose I will if I have to. Do you think Innovis and... the other one... are necessary as well?

Just annoying...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smutly wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:Thank you, Republicans, for looking out for us. Oh wait, once again you're not.
Not necessary here. There is a forum dedicated to Republican bashing. Please take it there. Thanks.
R&P is for political discussions, true, but that doesn't mean that on-topic mentions of politics are forbidden everywhere else. If someone questioned her on it and she answered such that it turned into a discussion, sure - take it to R&P.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Blackhawk wrote:
Smutly wrote:
R&P is for political discussions, true, but that doesn't mean that on-topic mentions of politics are forbidden everywhere else. If someone questioned her on it and she answered such that it turned into a discussion, sure - take it to R&P.
I question why the need to bash Republicans on the EBG forum?
Black Lives Matter*

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's calling out a specific action -- in this case, the GOP's attempt to eviscerate consumer protections for financial transactions and banking regulations.

It's relevant given the negligence in maintaining confidentiality of financial data by a company in the business of securely maintaining a clearinghouse private financial data. This isn't Target screwing up cash registers, it's one of the leading companies failing in its core business. Equifax's attempt to sneak in a liability waiver and forced arbitration clause into their attempts to CYA is pretty appalling. Legislation that would let businesses get away with it should be bashed.

I didn't choose to do business with Equifax, but this could become a nightmare for me. I'm in the middle of changing jobs (requiring a background check) and buying a new car. Freezing my credit isn't an option.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

And with that, I will remove myself from Octopus Overlords. I'll dutifully complete the Fantasy Football season, guys, so don't worry about that. Have a good one, people.
Black Lives Matter*

Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Sorry - didn't mean to cause problems. I'll try not to do this again.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bad Demographic wrote:Sorry - didn't mean to cause problems. I'll try not to do this again.
You didn't cause problems. You made a reasonable statement. People had extreme reactions to that statement. That's not on you.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

:grund:

Post by The Meal »

Just giving an opinion. Couldn't be wrong. In your face.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's not you, Bad Demographic. It's the internet where people disagree all the time. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote:I did Equifax over the Internet for my $10 (harumph). Neither Experian nor Transunion worked for me. I'll try calling on Monday, though I suspect their phone lines are swamped. I have no urge to go by certified mail, though I suppose I will if I have to. Do you think Innovis and... the other one... are necessary as well?

Just annoying...
I'd suggest following the security freeze advice from renowned InfoSec journalist, Brian Krebs.

Krebs advises freezing Innovis, but offers the following suggestion for ChexSystems, which involves no additional cost:
KrebsOnSecurity.com wrote:Q: Okay, I’ve got a security freeze on my file, what else should I do?

A:
It’s also a good idea to notify a company called ChexSystems to keep an eye out for fraud committed in your name. Thousands of banks rely on ChexSystems to verify customers that are requesting new checking and savings accounts, and ChexSystems lets consumers place a security alert on their credit data to make it more difficult for ID thieves to fraudulently obtain checking and savings accounts. For more information on doing that with ChexSystems, see this link.
Placing the security alert with ChexSystems is free, though it's only good for 90 days at a time (but can then be reinitiated).
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Bad Demographic wrote:
I'm no Republican, but I feel moved to point out that the largest, gravest data breaches in US history -- the NSA spills, and especially the OPM hack-- happened under non-Republican "oversight". Both relevant parties are terrible about this, and most corporations are unimaginably sloppy. Consumer protections are, at best, a flimsy bandage with weak adhesive when what's needed is reconstructive surgery, casts, traction, and replacement parts custom fabricated on an industrial lathe. And a time machine.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:
I'm no Republican, but I feel moved to point out that the largest, gravest data breaches in US history -- the NSA spills, and especially the OPM hack-- happened under non-Republican "oversight". Both relevant parties are terrible about this, and most corporations are unimaginably sloppy. Consumer protections are, at best, a flimsy bandage with weak adhesive when what's needed is reconstructive surgery, casts, traction, and replacement parts custom fabricated on an industrial lathe. And a time machine.
This. It's not a visible problem until something happens. And then Congress will hold hearings and nothing will change. Maybe something will happen this time because this fucks up the banking and insurance industries and they don't like that.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

What BH said earlier is correct. That said, let's move back in the EBG direction. In EBG, it's fine to point out that republicans are repealing a law. Adding in the, Thanks, Obama type of stuff is not. It can be difficult to know where the line is but I'd say, it's not what you say but how you say it. Now, I'm off to find out just how screwed I am by this latest mess.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Mr. Robot has struck the first blow. More to come.

:ninja:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Mr. Robot has struck the first blow. More to come.

:ninja:
Or Fight Club.

Only I don't feel much like laughing about it. :( Maybe I'd feel different if this weren't going to change my lifestyle.

Edit the Innovis freeze was painless so far... No charge. They will send me mail. *shrug*

That's done. I'm $30 lighter and now have to remember PINs.