tru1cy

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by tru1cy »

teaser for Daredevil season 2 looks like Elektra and Punisher might be featured
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

The early buzz on Jessica Jones is awfully good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, that's a lot of high praise. Can't wait!
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes. Still in.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Nice. And I'm digging Luke Cage too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Luke Cage and Iron Fist entries.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I try not judge a book TV show by its cover trailer, but that looks really good.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Luke Cage...entries.
Uhhh...have you read the Jessica Jones comic? Because if you did, I see what you did there. And if you didn't, well. I'll just back away slowly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually haven't read the Jessica Jones stuff, but I know it was in a "mature audiences only" line, so I can guess I made some inadvertent sexual joke there.

I used to read Heroes for Hire as a kid, so that's my exposure to the characters.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I have to admit, I'd never heard of Jessica Jones before this series was announced, and I still know nothing about her. I remember Luke Cage from being on the cover of comic books that I never bothered with (can't buy 'em all), but I don't really know anything about him, either. These next couple of series are going to be all new ground for me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:I actually haven't read the Jessica Jones stuff, but I know it was in a "mature audiences only" line, so I can guess I made some inadvertent sexual joke there.
I have the first half a dozen issues of Alias (the Jessica Jones comic) that (IIRC) came out in 2001. Either the first page or the first panel opens with Jessica and Nick Cage having...relations in an uncomfortable place (not the back of a Volkswagen). It was a hell of an opening to a story (certainly back in 2001) and if I'm also remembering correctly the first company Marvel hired to print the comics refused to do so because it depicted interracial sex. I never in a million years would have thought this comic would have been adapted for TV but given how much entertainment has matured in the last decade, now I can totally understand why it was created. Unless they screw up something fundamental, everything I've seen so far suggests it's going to be another great Netflix series.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:Either the first page or the first panel opens with Jessica and Nick Cage having...relations in an uncomfortable place (not the back of a Volkswagen).
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Odin

Post by Odin »

Hahah - I missed that completely when I read it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Damn. Need more coffee. I didn't read all the comics so it's still possible she has sex with Nick Cage. And Luke Cage. Possibly Johnny Cage. :oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:
I have the first half a dozen issues of Alias (the Jessica Jones comic) that (IIRC) came out in 2001. Either the first page or the first panel opens with Jessica and Nick Cage having...relations in an uncomfortable place (not the back of a Volkswagen).
A mini cooper?
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ability to wait... fading.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Dang, that looks good.

Daredevil season 2 was shooting near my office when I left work yesterday. Lots of lights and trailers along 17th St, but I didn't see any of the actors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will resist my natural urge to punch anyone wearing fingerless gloves and watch this when it debuts.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Purple Man made her do it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jessica Jones is the Complex (Super) Heroine We've Been Waiting For. (The Verge)
Kwame Opam wrote:Daredevil was great by Marvel standards. Jessica Jones is just great.

[T]he show’s greatest triumph is in exploring how women can be powerful, multi-faceted masters of their fate. Jessica Jones, while nowhere near as bloody as Daredevil, is psychologically brutal, and women largely bear the brunt of that violence. The series delves deeply into abuse, sexual assault, and rape from the outset. But no matter what trauma they experience, the women of Jessica Jones are all consistently portrayed as either having control of their lives or working hard to regain it. No Marvel Studios property — not even Agent Carter — has ever done that so effectively, and after months of seeing a character like Black Widow be sidelined by her male counterparts, this is a breath of fresh air.

Tonight!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, gamergate folks are gonna be piiiisssseeeedddd.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:Oh man, gamergate folks are gonna be piiiisssseeeedddd.
Why, is this show also covering ethics in superhero journalism?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just making a (poor) joke at the perception that strong female characters are anathema to the group.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:Just making a (poor) joke at the perception that strong female characters are anathema to the group.
I got it. Apparently my attempt at twisting the ethics in videogame journalism angle was even poorer. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We are life's winners, you and me. :)
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:We are life's winners, you and me. :)
Regardless, we get to feast on the new show in 14.5 hours. And for that, we win.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, if episode 1 is any indication... Good stuff.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If I only recently started DD, should I finish catching up with it first? Or dive right in?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finish DD, JJ ain't goin' anywhere.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:Finish DD, JJ ain't goin' anywhere.
Agreed. Not because you necessarily need to see DD first, but because it's also very good.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I just finished episode 8, Shadows in the Glass. It was fantastic.
Spoiler:
The one that ended with Fisk doing the press conference and coming out of the shadows. I never expected that kind of character development with the villain. I had to rewind and listen to the reporter's story/voice-over.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

TheMix wrote:I just finished episode 8, Shadows in the Glass. It was fantastic.
Spoiler:
The one that ended with Fisk doing the press conference and coming out of the shadows. I never expected that kind of character development with the villain. I had to rewind and listen to the reporter's story/voice-over.
Oh, if you think *that's* character development, just wait. It only gets better.

If JJ is half the show DD was, I will be a happy camper.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At first I wasn't sold on Denofrio's version of Fisk. But eventually I came to love his performance. He brings a new angle to the Kingpin I wasn't expecting. And it worked beautifully.
He won. Period.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hepcat wrote:At first I wasn't sold on Denofrio's version of Fisk. But eventually I came to love his performance. He brings a new angle to the Kingpin I wasn't expecting. And it worked beautifully.
No doubt Fisk was one of the best things about DD. He was a brutal, driven, compassionate and just a wee bit insane and the whole relationship bit humanized him just enough for you to forget just how much of a monster he really was. Vincent D'Onofrio really nailed that role.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

rshetts2 wrote:
hepcat wrote:At first I wasn't sold on Denofrio's version of Fisk. But eventually I came to love his performance. He brings a new angle to the Kingpin I wasn't expecting. And it worked beautifully.
No doubt Fisk was one of the best things about DD. He was a brutal, driven, compassionate and just a wee bit insane and the whole relationship bit humanized him just enough for you to forget just how much of a monster he really was. Vincent D'Onofrio really nailed that role.
All of this.

Every depiction I've seen of that character has been bland and 2-dimensional until I saw D'onofrio's. He breathed life into that role, and, I feel, redefined it in the way Heath Ledger redefined the Joker.

It helps that I'm a fan of D'onofrio in general, though (with the exception of some of his work on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, which seemed, in some cases, phoned in).
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

rshetts2 wrote:
Exactly my thoughts. I have to periodically stop when I find myself empathizing with him and remind myself that he really is a monster. He has done a stellar job portraying the "tortured" aspect. My favorite L&O:CI episodes are the ones where he portrays the same "barely controlled emotional struggles". He seems better than most at pulling that off.

Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

TheMix wrote:Exactly my thoughts. I have to periodically stop when I find myself empathizing with him and remind myself that he really is a monster. He has done a stellar job portraying the "tortured" aspect. My favorite L&O:CI episodes are the ones where he portrays the same "barely controlled emotional struggles". He seems better than most at pulling that off.
D'Onofrio's guest appearance on Homicide is required viewing for anyone who likes his work. It's stellar television.

Looks like the whole thing is up on YouTube.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

AWS260 wrote:D'Onofrio's guest appearance on The entirety of Homicide is required viewing for anyonewho likes his work. It's stellar television.
FTFY.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

1 episode of Jessica Jones down and... well, it's kinda slow. For the first 20 or so minutes I was a little bored. But it got better in the latter third and I'm looking forward to watching at least another couple of episodes tonight.