Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just start calling her Night Nurse and be done with it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

tru1cy wrote:Also, Claire seems to show up in all there series and I guess she's Netflix version of Stan Lee in the MCU
More like Agent Coulston.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:Just start calling her Night Nurse and be done with it.
I think Marvel Studios is preventing them from doing that. Rachel McAdams character from Doctor Strange is technically the Night Nurse from the comics.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I'm mainly curious to see how many of the Defenders she can hook up with.
Well curious if the Luke & Jessica end up together like the comics.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tru1cy wrote:Iron Fist trailer.   Not sure I''m feeling this yet.
Watched the trailer last night. I can understand your trepidation, but I guess I'm just an Iron Fist fanboy. I have many a fond memory of bonding over Power Man and Iron Fist comics as a kid with my little brother. Heroes for Hire, Ghost Rider and Legion of Superheroes (on the DC side) were our favorites. We spent quite a few afternoons perched on the stools at a local drug store that sold comics AND had an old style root beer soda machine.

I doubt even the appearance of ninjas in the series will make me hate Iron Fist.

...although if it's a LOT of ninjas, I might.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I cruised through DD S1, JJ and DD S2, but I have been slowed to a crawl on Luke Cage. I think I am 4 or 5 episodes in after about three weeks. I really liked the character in Jessica Jones, but he doesn't do it for me on his own.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The real draw of Luke Cage is the environment he walks through. At least until Copperhead shows up.
Covfefe!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

coopasonic wrote:I cruised through DD S1, JJ and DD S2, but I have been slowed to a crawl on Luke Cage. I think I am 4 or 5 episodes in after about three weeks. I really liked the character in Jessica Jones, but he doesn't do it for me on his own.
Exactly how I felt. The push through to the end I think is worth it only because it sets up the rest of the shows. That being said, I like it better than Jessica Jones. He was the best part of that series, but oddly enough he wasn't as compelling in his own. Looking forward to seeing everyone link up in the future, however. It'll be interesting to see how Jessica Jones and Matt Murdock interact, as they seem to be opposite sides of the coin, so to speak.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote:The real draw of Luke Cage is the environment he walks through. At least until Copperhead shows up.
And the soundtrack. Good music.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
PLW

Post by PLW »

Hyena wrote:
hepcat wrote:The real draw of Luke Cage is the environment he walks through. At least until Copperhead shows up.
And the soundtrack. Good music.
Yes. This was the first show in a long time that I was sad when the musical interludes ended.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If they'd used Cottonmouth's club for 75 percent of the show, I would've been fine with that.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Defenders is out now and here is a useful link:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-the-import ... 1793445273
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

coopasonic wrote:The Defenders is out now and here is a useful link:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-the-import ... 1793445273
Enlarge Image
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

For being the Marvel Comics' "world's greatest martial artist", Danny Rand sure does get his ass beat like a drum. But hey, at least he's dumb as a box of hammers...

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm only three episodes in, but so far it's... not very good. The unintentional slo-mo whenever Sigourney has to do ninja things is cringe-worthy.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm through four episodes and it's started to pick up. The first few were a bit slow and heavy on the exposition, but I thought the third and fourth episodes were good. The fighting scenes haven't been as well orchestrated or directed as in Daredevil, but they're better than the few clips of Iron Fist I watched.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I'm through four episodes and it's started to pick up. The first few were a bit slow and heavy on the exposition, but I thought the third and fourth episodes were good. The fighting scenes haven't been as well orchestrated or directed as in Daredevil, but they're better than the few clips of Iron Fist I watched.
Good to hear that it's picking up. Ep 3 I did think was much better than 1-2.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Saying that a show is "picking up" in later episodes doesn't mean it is good. The Defenders is almost entirely cringeworthy crap. The extras (Foggy, Trish, and Karen) were thankfully locked in a room most of the time except for the occasional cameo. Daredevil is left quoting Luke Skywalker talking about how he sees the good in someone. The cops are little more than caricatures hardly worthy of even being called Keystone Cops. Danny has neither learned how to act nor fight since the Iron Fist series.
Spoiler:
Daredevil surviving a building falling on top of him is bullshit. Can't wait to see how they explain that in Season 2.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Moliere wrote:Saying that a show is "picking up" in later episodes doesn't mean it is good. The Defenders is almost entirely cringeworthy crap. The extras (Foggy, Trish, and Karen) were thankfully locked in a room most of the time except for the occasional cameo. Daredevil is left quoting Luke Skywalker talking about how he sees the good in someone. The cops are little more than caricatures hardly worthy of even being called Keystone Cops. Danny has neither learned how to act nor fight since the Iron Fist series.
Spoiler:
Daredevil surviving a building falling on top of him is bullshit. Can't wait to see how they explain that in Season 2.
Spoiler:
My biggest pet peeve is that Danny actually was baited into using his lite-brite fist, and as soon as she got near the wall, I thought, "You dumbass, she's going to redirect your...yup, there it goes." I'm sorry, but if you're going to present the role as the greatest and strongest of a warrior-caste of monks, one who KILLED A DRAGON, you better be able to back it up in a fight. "Iron Punching Bag" should be his title.

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Moliere wrote:Saying that a show is "picking up" in later episodes doesn't mean it is good. The Defenders is almost entirely cringeworthy crap. The extras (Foggy, Trish, and Karen) were thankfully locked in a room most of the time except for the occasional cameo. Daredevil is left quoting Luke Skywalker talking about how he sees the good in someone. The cops are little more than caricatures hardly worthy of even being called Keystone Cops. Danny has neither learned how to act nor fight since the Iron Fist series.
I can't argue against any of that but I'm really enjoying it (just finished episode 3).
JCC

Post by JCC »

I thought it was great. Jessica Jones is still my favorite Marvel show, but I enjoyed this a lot. I really think they should stick with eight episode lengths for all of the Marvel shows. Way less padding.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My only criticism through five episodes (other than the general presence of the Iron Fist) is that there seem to be way too many deus-ex-machina, guys being saved by people arrive just in time. I think I counted it happening three times in just one episodes.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

JCC wrote:I really think they should stick with eight episode lengths for all of the Marvel shows. Way less padding.
Crap, if I had known it was only 8 eps I would have finished it up yesterday. I made it through 5. I guess that explains why things seem to be progressing quickly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Hyena wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My biggest pet peeve is that Danny actually was baited into using his lite-brite fist, and as soon as she got near the wall, I thought, "You dumbass, she's going to redirect your...yup, there it goes." I'm sorry, but if you're going to present the role as the greatest and strongest of a warrior-caste of monks, one who KILLED A DRAGON, you better be able to back it up in a fight. "Iron Punching Bag" should be his title.
This bothered me more than anything else in the series. I was shouting "Are you really that fucking stupid?"
I have to say the actor who plays Rand gets a lot of flak but honestly the outrage should be reserved for the writers. They have done a terrible job of writing for that role. I almost feel sorry for Finn Jones because I don't know how you could possibly get anything buy a crap performance out of what he is given. My other problem with the series is that I thought that they would embrace their powers more as a group than they did. I was hoping for something a bit more epic but I do understand that they are trying to stay a bit more grounded. Finally, is their fight choreography so bad that they refuse to put a fight scene under some actual light? It seemed that, with a few minor exceptions, every important fight was in the dark or in shadow.
I thought Defenders was decent but I was hoping for better.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished it up yesterday and I found it completely underwhelming. I have very similar complaints to the others who finished it.

Iron Fist is by far the biggest disappointment.
Spoiler:
And I really didn't understand what the big deal was with "Black Sky". It seemed to me like any one of the heroes could have beat her in a fight, especially Luke Cage.

Overall the villains were the worst out of all of the Marvel TV shows. Sigourny Weaver mostly stood around and acted like she could be tough, but she never did much,
Black Sky was just Elektra sleep walking and even Madam Gau was underwhelming
FTE
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I thought The Defenders was an enjoyable, short series. I would have thought it would have been as long as the other Netflix Marvel series were, but I heard Marvel wanted this done in a hurry. The shortness of it was appealing to some as in the above comments, but since this was the result of the buildup of all the other series, they should have taken the time to develop the story a bit more.
Danny was far and away the worst of the characters, which is a shame because he was kind of the linchpin of the group and his presence was necessary for the story to develop at all.
Spoiler:
I just hope that Misty Knight gets an arm from Tony Stark (like she did in the comics) if they ever develop her story more. Also, what the hell? Not even a mention of The Punisher? Did they all just get short-term amnesia?
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One episode in and I'm already disappointed with Iron Fist. Everyone else is okay...just okay...but Iron Fist still remains the weakest link in the Netflix/Marvel chain. They should just replace the actor in the middle of season 2 of Iron Fist and see if anyone really cares...or even notices.
Covfefe!
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I finished the Iron Fist. Liked it better than Luke Cage. The first seven episodes were very good, and I was hopeful for a great second half. Ward and his father are really good. The Iron Fist guy is ok. Unfortunately, the second half was off the rails and turned me off. Not super bad, but not as good as the first half. Marvel/Netflix needs to step it up in story telling. They have the effects down of course, just need a darn good story from start to finish. I also think they should intertwine the series more. Need better writers and don't cut down on the number of episodes!

Last comment. The majority of the women in Luke Cage and the Iron Fist are too stale. Very boring when they are in the scenes.

Daredevil is by far the best series. Jessica Jones is second best. Now onto Defenders...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Moliere wrote:
Spoiler:
That one is easy to explain away, after all...
Spoiler:
...he died in a big pile of the powdered bones of an immortality dragon.
But yeah, it never really got great. And, like everyone else, I found Iron Fist a disappointment. Watching the 'great martial artist' next to Electra and Daredevil was like watching a drunken barroom brawler. Other than the occasional spinny backflip or pose, he did nothing that even reminded me of martial arts. I don't know how much is the writers, the choreographers, or the actor, or the schedule (which is the official explanation), but it needs to get fixed. Iron Fist season 2 needs to be bumped to the back of the line-up to give them time to figure out how make their kung fu master use kung fu.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do all the women in the Netflix Marvel shows shop at the same fingerless glove store?
Covfefe!
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So watched episode 1 of Defenders. Just an observation...i thought it was pretty cool how each of hte main characters when it was there story arc was done in the hue of their individual series. IE in Daredevil its kind of a mahogany red, and you see those colors in the backgrounds; luke cage's is kind of a sunny yellow and background colors reflect that..wallpaper & overhanging lights; while jessica jones was in a purplish hue. That was kind of cool i thought. The final scene of episode when the quake happens also has the a background of those colors shifting and melding together. Have to rewatch the scene. But it was kind of like...alright we're gonna shake things up here and brings these folks together.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Those color themes persist through the series. It was usually well done, but sometimes it was too obvious.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Every time they say Electric Nachos I giggle...
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/21/ ... -in-the-us
The Defenders Is Least-Watched Marvel Series Launch on Netflix in the US
In the United States, The Defenders garnered fewer viewers in its first 30 days than any of Netflix's other original Marvel series.

Based on benchmark analysis from marketing-analytics firm Jumpshot, The Defenders had 17 percent of the viewership that Season 2 of Daredevil (Netflix's most-viewed Marvel show) had in its first 30 days, Variety reports. It's worth noting the research was limited to Netflix subscribers in the US who watched at least one episode of each show.
The Defenders also suffered the largest week-over-week drop in viewers when compared to the other Netflix Marvel series. Its viewership dropped by 67 percent from its first to second week, 48 percent from its second to third, and 41 percent from its third to fourth.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote:Every time they say Electric Nachos I giggle...
_____ Nachos
&
Electric ______

are both prime starting points on their own... I can see how I could follow your giggle.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It doesn't help the Defenders that it had, by most reports, the weakest lead-in series.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We just finished the Iron Fist last week and I'd agree it was weak as hell - probably something they could have cut down to 6 or 8 episodes. Haven't watched the Defenders yet, but I do think there is some spandex fatigue going on. I'm a huge fan of all this comic book nonsense and even I'm feeling overwhelmed and disinterested at some of the stuff that's just starting out this month on the other channels.

That being said, I am excited for The Punisher, though I do wonder how he's going to play with casual fans. He's...not a nice guy. Then again, maybe because he's so different than what's currently available for entertainment, he might do well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm looking forward to it because Berenthal can act rings around most of the folks in the Netflix Marvel shows.

What's the over under on when Claire shows up to have sex with him, by the way?
Covfefe!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

hepcat wrote:One episode in and I'm already disappointed with Iron Fist. Everyone else is okay...just okay...but Iron Fist still remains the weakest link in the Netflix/Marvel chain. They should just replace the actor in the middle of season 2 of Iron Fist and see if anyone really cares...or even notices.
They can borrow the trick from this classic HK Kungfu series:

http://www.spcnet.tv/ATV-TV-Series/Rein ... -r145.html
Wan Fei Yeung enters the cocoon stage of "Tin Cham Sun Gong" for days. To make a really long story short, he comes out a new person--and I mean a Wan Fei Yeung played by a totally different person.
So have Iron Fist learn the silkworm martial arts.