Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by Hrothgar »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:20 pm Just finished Luke Cage. Liked it much better than season 1. The villains were more interesting and the last episode really sets up the next season (assuming there is one). I agree that the actor playing Shades is pretty bad in this role. Mariah has grown on me, though; I think the actress is intentionally playing her super campy.

One thing I must have missed though:
Spoiler:
what happens to Bushmaster at the end? He just seemed to disappear. I think there was a scene that alluded to it, but I was playing Scrabble on my phone... either way, seems a bit odd how he just wasn’t there or mentioned anymore.
It was spelled out, but it was a short scene.
Spoiler:
He got what he wanted. Mariah disgraced and dead. He took a ship back to Jamaica where he could get a constant supply of nightshade to slowly detox before it killed him.
My concern was different. I thought Tilda
Spoiler:
was totally willing to die to kill her mother and end the Stokes line. Then it seemed like the writers just chickened out. We didn't even get a Game of Thrones lip wiping and antidote swigging scene.
I know people thought poorly of Iron Fist, but I loved his whole cameo especially wearing the Sweet Xmas hoodie.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Spoiler:
Seems weird that Bushmaster didn’t even appear in the scene talking about why he was leaving. Was the actor suddenly unavailable or something?

I had no problems with what happened with Tilda. As soon as I saw the kiss, I guessed what was coming. Nice combination of Game of Thrones and The Godfather (those allusions became outright imitations later in the episode).
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

As I mentioned, I was only half right on what was coming.
Spoiler:
He was in both scenes, the herb shop and the van departure though he can barely walk in both scenes. In the first, he gave Tilda the charge to kill (burn) Mariah after drinking the draught to help his memory. It was clear that the super nightshade shot had a heavy price. In the departure, he just nods as his brother (childhood friend?) reflects on the cost of vengeance and calls Tilda a good woman. Then the van leaves to go to the ship in Delaware.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Caught the first one, missed the second. I really need to stop playing on my phone when watching tv...
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

I think I'm burnt out on these and haven't watch any of the season 2 stuff. I blame Iron Fist that I forced my way through for the Defenders. Hoping Daredevil or more Punisher can pull me back in.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm late to the show, but started watching Agents of SHIELD a couple weeks ago. I'm up to Season 1 Episode 18, and am really enjoying it. I like how it syncs in with the movies.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 am I'm late to the show, but started watching Agents of SHIELD a couple weeks ago. I'm up to Season 1 Episode 18, and am really enjoying it. I like how it syncs in with the movies.
I hated the early part of the season, but after the Winter Soldier tie in it became my favorite show on TV.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I am REALLY behind on the last season. I watched like the first 3 or so episodes and got distracted by some other shiny thing...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 am
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 am I'm late to the show, but started watching Agents of SHIELD a couple weeks ago. I'm up to Season 1 Episode 18, and am really enjoying it. I like how it syncs in with the movies.
I hated the early part of the season, but after the Winter Soldier tie in it became my favorite show on TV.
It isn't my favorite show, but it certainly got leagues better after a slow start in season 1. This last season was pure comic book fun.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Just finished Luke Cage season 2. There's some great stuff in this season.

Random thoughts:
Spoiler:
Is it wrong that I felt bad for Shades at the end?

Bushmaster was a great villain. He was brutal and seemed worse than anything Luke had faced yet, but then they do a great job of humanizing him in the 2nd half of the season. And the fights with him teaming up with Luke Cage were a lot of fun.

The Iron Fist episode was solid.

I really like the kid who sells the Luke Cage gear stepping up and kicking him out of the barbershop at the end. That got to me.

For most of the series it felt like Mariah wasn't nearly as evil as Misty and Luke described her as. She came across as mostly incompetent to me. So it was nice to see her go full evil there at the end.

Tilda's actions at the end don't make sense to me. As mentioned earlier, I thought she was going to die from the same poison that killed her mother. But she survives, and then gets all bent out of shape when Luke gets the club instead of her. Her reaction surprised me.

I must have missed something at the end. The lawyer asked Luke if he even wanted the club, and I thought Luke said to burn it to the ground. Then the next shot, the place is up and running and he is in full on crime boss mode.
Some speculation for upcoming seasons.
Spoiler:
Shadowland!!!

That was my main thought through the last couple of minutes of Luke Cage. In the comics, Daredevil takes over the Hand. He tries to keep them on the straight and narrow, but gets corrupted by the power and turns evil. The rest of the heroes have to team up to take him out. I could see that being brought up in either Luke Cage season 3 or a Defenders season 2.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am
Spoiler:
I must have missed something at the end. The lawyer asked Luke if he even wanted the club, and I thought Luke said to burn it to the ground. Then the next shot, the place is up and running and he is in full on crime boss mode.
Spoiler:
You didn't miss anything. I think Luke Cage's initial reaction was to burn it down; if this had been the first season with the straight and narrow Cage, he likely would have followed through with that decision. But then the trappings of having the club and the power that would come from running Harlem was too tempting.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You didn't miss anything. I think Luke Cage's initial reaction was to burn it down; if this had been the first season with the straight and narrow Cage, he likely would have followed through with that decision. But then the trappings of having the club and the power that would come from running Harlem was too tempting.
Spoiler:
I guess I just needed to see that thought process played out on screen. As it was, the quick cut from “no, burn it down” to “yes, I’m the King” was jarring and distracting.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Iron Fist Season 2 starts 9/7/18.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I might be the only one here excited for that.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

msteelers wrote:I might be the only one here excited for that.
I'm watching the Luke Cage episode with Danny Rand in it and he's not bad. So I'll be a hopeful optimist about season 2.

As for Luke Cage, I'm enjoying that too but as much as I like the actress that plays Claire and the way her character was written in Season 1 Daredevil my enjoyment of the season started when she left.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can't stand Claire. She's the Dale of the Netflix Marvel universe.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Cloak and Dagger finally referenced the MCU, specifically Misty Knight and the Defenders. It was also renewed for season 2. I have enjoyed the first season so far. I am biased. I remember reading Cloak and Dagger back when I was the character's ages. I might have even run a Marvel RPG campaign featuring them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:37 pm I can't stand Claire. She's the Dale of the Netflix Marvel universe.
Dale had the decency to die though.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One can hope.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 pm Cloak and Dagger finally referenced the MCU, specifically Misty Knight and the Defenders. It was also renewed for season 2. I have enjoyed the first season so far. I am biased. I remember reading Cloak and Dagger back when I was the character's ages. I might have even run a Marvel RPG campaign featuring them.
Hmmm... I'm current on the season, just watched the most recent episode last night and I must have missed this. Can you spoiler me some specifics about this, please?
-mf
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:53 am
Hrothgar wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 pm Cloak and Dagger finally referenced the MCU, specifically Misty Knight and the Defenders. It was also renewed for season 2. I have enjoyed the first season so far. I am biased. I remember reading Cloak and Dagger back when I was the character's ages. I might have even run a Marvel RPG campaign featuring them.
Hmmm... I'm current on the season, just watched the most recent episode last night and I must have missed this. Can you spoiler me some specifics about this, please?
Sure.
Spoiler:
After Cloak 'haunts' Connors, Officer Pancakes asks Detective O'Reilly about Cloak's powers. He seems amazed that someone could do that. O'Reilly just laughs, reminds him she's from New York and to ask her about her friend Misty sometime. The clear implication is that she's seen powered people firsthand.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:23 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:53 am
Sure.
Spoiler:
After Cloak 'haunts' Connors, Officer Pancakes asks Detective O'Reilly about Cloak's powers. He seems amazed that someone could do that. O'Reilly just laughs, reminds him she's from New York and to ask her about her friend Misty sometime. The clear implication is that she's seen powered people firsthand.
Ah, okay, thanks! I remember that conversation, it just didn't mean anything to me not being aware of the character nor having watched The Defenders or Luke Cage, which both came up when I googled Misty Knight.
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Comic Book.com
[W]e've known for some time that Iron Fist Season 2 is on the way this fall.
Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos .... confirm[ed] that new episodes of Daredevil will hit the streaming service before the year is out.
So each member of the Defenders will have new episodes of their solo series on Netflix at some point in 2018. The only Marvel/Netflix show that hasn't been confirmed for a release this year is The Punisher, starring Jon Bernthal. A second season of the series has been ordered, and is currently being filmed in New York, but no release date has been announced. Those new episodes, along with the third season of Jessica Jones, will probably debut in 2019.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just received a promotional email from Netflix telling me that Iron Fist season 2 is coming September 7th.

...why is Netflix threatening me? :?
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

:pop:
Last edited by Drazzil on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:38 pm I just received a promotional email from Netflix telling me that Iron Fist season 2 is coming September 7th.

Hah!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I just received a promotional email from Netflix telling me that Iron Fist season 2 is coming September 7th.

And just for you... More appearances from the Night Nurse!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JCC

Post by JCC »

Couldn't disagree more. I just re-watched Iron Fist season 1 since my wife wanted to see it after his episode in Luke Cage. I would say it's in my top 3 or 4 favorite Netflix Marvel seasons. I just don't get the vitriol this show gets. Faramir Meechum is just awesomely itentionally and unintentionally hilarious (in an awesome way). And I love the masterful double-turn they pull in the final episode. And, I really liked the fight scenes and don't really get the hatred for them. (Shrugs.) Like every non-Defenders Marvel show the season is too long, but I felt way less bored in this than just about all the other 13 episode Marvel seasons except Jessica Jones season 1.

I am pretty excited for season 2. AND it's only 10 episodes! I hope all the Marvel shows get shorter seasons.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:58 pm And just for you... More appearances from the Night Nurse!
She'll fly in on the jetpack they gave her so she can quickly get in and out of the other Marvel shows. They want her to efficiently ruin their shows.
JCC wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:34 pm And, I really liked the fight scenes and don't really get the hatred for them. (Shrugs.)
It's like watching Macaulay Culkin play the Bruce Willis role in Die Hard.

...and I'm talking Home Alone era Macaulay.
Covfefe!
morlac

Post by morlac »

I just heard they got a new fight choreographer for this season. Dude is ultra talented and a certified BA. He even started his own MA style. Rex Kwon Do. Daredevil watch out!

If you squint it actually looks just like Ironfist wearing glasses. Concave chest and all!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Iron Fist season 2 is out today. Who's going to take one for the team?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Moliere wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:07 pm Iron Fist season 2 is out today. Who's going to take one for the team?
I’ve seen 1.7 episodes. It has good moments. I like that they’re dealing with down to earth crime problems with an impending Triad war due to a power vacuum caused by the destruction of the Hand. (Hope Madame Gao makes an appearance though to kick some ass).

The motivations of Joy Meechum though are a bit underwhelming along with wet towel Davos. Colleen does brighten the screen with her presence and I’m looking forward to an appearance by Misty. I’m intrigued by Mary...
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m still stuck in Punisher, so I’m a bit behind.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I just binged on Iron Fist, Season 2 and IMHO, it's great, much much much improved over Season 1. It was slow to get going but at about episode 5 it really picked up and sustained that throughout the rest of the episodes.
Spoiler:
It was great the way they had to break Danny down, and have him even renouncing the Iron Fist. In a sense they played off the weaknesses of Season 1 (and very well, I think) where Danny appeared very stupid and entitled, because, after all he was the IRON FIST and everyone should recognize it. This season he admits his attitude towards the Fist was all consuming and flawed, so much that in the end, he felt was not worthy to have it, renouncing it so that Colleen instead (of most of us liked much more!) got it. So they played against the weaknesses of the Season 1 (Danny's attitude) and into it's strengths (Colleen). It was a great idea and well done.
Lastly, the ending two scenes rocked!!! I am very interested in where they go next season, which is not something I would have said last year. I highly recommend this season and hope people give it a chance.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm up to episode 4. While much better than season 1, it still hasn't given me any reason to look forward to season 3. But I'll watch episode 5 tonight as you mentioned it gets even better after that.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Newcastle wrote:So at 7 episodes in on Luke Cage, and I am enjoying it. I really like the stakes that Cage is going up against and they feel well tailored to Cage(its a micro scale and not a MEGA the world is gonna go BOOM that seems the norm with all the marvel movies nowadays; fyi i am sick and tired of the marvel movies right now) . I like the storylines overall. The villains seems appropriate and to scale. They do have some drop ins of characters from the Defenders universe which feel welcome and not a distraction. I also like the feel and vibe of the show; ie its drapped in Luke's yello hued colors; the intersplicing of musicians is still pretty cool: the blues dude in episode 3 (i think) is awesome. He's the chubby guy; awesome musician though.

Also - quick spoiler with a more serious spoiler at the bottom
Spoiler:
-claire disappears after episode 3, so that's good (she's overused right now)

- i am having a hard time w/ Shades. the character seems interesting, but the actor (Juice from Sons of anarchy) seems miscast. The character seems as if they should be oozing a type of charisma, but Rossi cant seem to hit those notes. There are times when he almost captures the character but most often I think its a miss. His rendering makes Shades a lot more wooden than I think he should be. I mean with a name like Shades, you should be oozing cool right? I have no experience with the comics, just my interpretation. I like the actor, but the character seems a bit wooden at times. I also really dont buy the love affair between Shades & Alfre Woodward (Mariah i think). I just dont buy into it.

-am enjoying Misty's evolution as a character.

- I felt the show really hit its groove when Cage rescues Piranha at the night club and they go on the run.

For reference I rank the shows the following

SOLID & MUST SEE
- Daredevil
-Luke Cage

Can do without
-jesssica Jones & Iron Fist
Jessica Jones s1 was great. S2 was good for the first 3-4 episodes and then went downhill. Last 2 episodes were ok. In between was way too much soap opera and not enough super hero.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I finished Iron First season 2. I really hope that all the other Marvel shows get shortened. 10 episodes is much better (though 8 would be ideal). I really liked the season. I also am seemingly one of the only ones who actually enjoyed the first season. I think most people will enjoy this more. The ending is pretty cool. I think many will be surprised. I didn't read any of the comics for any of the Netflix heroes (I was really only a casual Spiderman comic fan as a kid) so I don't come at these shows with any pre-conceived notions or feelings about these heroes.

Anyway, thumbs up for me. I was the guy who liked the fight scenes in season 1, but I think it's safe to say these are more aggresive/intense.

I really hope Daredevil season 3 is also only 10 eps (or less). Looking forward to it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bye bye, Defenders:
Today Netflix announced the upcoming launch of "NX" which (as you can see in the video above) is the streaming services' new geek-friendly division of genre content, from superheroes to sci-fi, anime, and everything in between. Well, in launching "NX" across all of its relevant platforms and social media pages, Netflix made a quiet, yet significant, change:

What you see above is a pretty big indicator that Netflix is done with The Defenders as one of its original series. These kind of Facebook page changes aren't done lightly - especially if a show is planning to release a new season of content anytime in the foreseeable future. The implication is that The Defenders IP is no longer something that Netflix is pursuing - and that could be a decision that was born of several good reasons.

For one thing, The Defenders was a mini-series event that was never treated as a full series, so there was never a prerequisite for season 2 to happen. Ironically enough, The Defenders also had the lowest premiere viewership of any Marvel Netflix series, despite bringing the characters of four popular series together for a big Marvel Cinematic Universe event. Finally, there's no really mandate to continue the Defenders franchise - not when Marvel Studios could launch a different property with a much different stigma attached to it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NX
It’s been widely reported that Netflix plans to spend a staggering $8 billion on its content this year, with the company’s chief content officer, Ted Sarandos, saying that a full 85 percent of that spend will be on original offerings. Today, Netflix announced the existence of NX, a new social channel that will promote the service’s science fiction and fantasy titles. In design, NX appears to be like @strongblacklead, a Twitter account that highlights diversity across the subscription service’s television shows and films — it’s a kind of sub-channel, breaking out specific types of Netflix content for a splintered audience with specific preferences.

The NX announcement coincided with the reveal of Netflix’s specific plans for titles involving or adapting comic book writer Mark Millar. Netflix bought the rights to Millar’s publishing house Millarworld in 2017, and published an initial comic book in June. Today’s announcement provided new details about Netflix’s Millarworld-related content.
For TV, that includes Jupiter’s Legacy, which appears to be about millennial superheroes living in the shadow of their superpowered elders, based on Millar’s comic books of the same name. American Jesus, another comic book adaptation, follows a 12-year-old boy who realizes he’s been reincarnated as Jesus Christ. Millar is also involved in three planned Netflix original films: Empress, Huck, and Sharkey The Bounty Hunter. (Those are about a queen on the run through space, a boy named Huck who uses his special abilities to do good, and a space bounty hunter named... Sharkey.)