Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Binktopia

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by Binktopia »

Luke Cage was fun!
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Finished watching Luke Cage last night, and I have mixed feelings.

Firstly - I loved, LOVED, the concept of this. The main hero, and 90% of the characters, are black, with no explanation offered or needed. Luke Cage was never a "mainstream" superhero, and this was not an attempt to make him one, so it was very true to the source material in that regard. I loved Mike Colter's continuation of this character, loved Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth, and loved Simone Missick as Misty Knight - all solid takes on those characters. Claire Temple continues to be great in her role as usual, and this series offered her a little more meat in the script, I think.
Spoiler:
I loved the little nods to the comics (even including the ridiculous yellow shirt, bracers, and tiara look he briefly sported). I loved the callouts to the other marvel Netflix series and to the greater MCU as well (I wish they'd work in some nods to S.H.I.E.L.D., but I know I can't get everything I want).

What didn't work for me was the heavy use of funk as a background music. Funk's just not for me, and, while I felt it added to the theme, I don't think it served the story much in terms of atmosphere (I don't think it was used properly when needed to heighten tension, to inform mood or tone, or to help tell the story). I could be wrong - I'm no connoisseur of Funk - but for me, movies like Guardians of the Galaxy have raised the bar on what I expect from a soundtrack. Ideally, it's almost another character in the story, and I just didn't feel like this was at that level. As a side note, I can point out one song that they used right - which was when Diamondback is in Cottonmouth's old office, and puts Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man" on the record player. Very nicely done.

More than that, though, I was disappointed in the season finale episode. The fight was anticlimactic - at one point, other characters are viewing the fight on TV, and one of them picks up the remote and turns it off to have a subdued conversation. Perhaps this was intentional? A commentary on the futility of violence, perhaps. Whatever the case, it diminished the tension, reduced the stakes, and destroyed the pacing for me. I also didn't like Diamondback as much as Cottonmouth, but I do understand they wanted a more physical villain for the final showdown. Though, Cottonmouth, armed with Judas Bullets, would have been a more impactful confrontation (why introduce Chekhov's gun and then not use it in the final act? They used it too soon, and then hand-wave it away.).
Overall, I felt it was a strong series with a couple weaknesses. Would I watch a season 2 of Luke Cage? Absolutely.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Almost every review I've read for Luke Cage has listed the soundtrack (which roams from funk to rap to soul...not just the first one) as one of the show's strengths. The songs all set the tone perfectly for almost every character and situation that they were used for. It also reflected the soul of the show in ways that words could not. I honestly can't fathom how anyone would find it to be a weakness. :shock:

I haven't watched the finale yet. I'm only about two/thirds of the way through. But if what someone said earlier is true, and it was planned as a 10 episode series that was made into 13 at the last minute, I'm prepared for some weak sauce.
He won. Period.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

hepcat wrote:Almost every review I've read for Luke Cage has listed the soundtrack (which roams from funk to rap to soul...not just the first one) as one of the show's strengths. The songs all set the tone perfectly for almost every character and situation that they were used for. It also reflected the soul of the show in ways that words could not. I honestly can't fathom how anyone would find it to be a weakness. :shock:
I don't like funk.

*shrug*

I have no complaints about the rap or soul.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That I can understand. No insult intended, I just disagreed with your assertion that the music was a weak point in the show. :wink:
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Episode 11 sums up why Luke Cage was my least favorite Marvel series:
Spoiler:
It's the one where they are in the Club almost the entire time. Diamondback is proven to be a really awful main bad guy. The episode starts out with the counsel woman doing a really great job of making Luke look like the bad guy, just like Diamondback, Shades, and Mariah planned. Everything is going great until Diamondback sees the detective and just throws the whole plan out the window by shooting her. As Shades keeps pointing out Diamondback has no real plan at that point. The worst part was the end when he escapes simply by walking out the side door. I mean the place was surrounded by cops, how in the hell did they not see him?
FTE
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Made it through Episode 3. Still enjoying it Heck, I even caught my wife watching it every once in a while.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If this show gets even one kid to read Langston Hughes, it will have been a success.

I love the conversations about African American authors and historical figures that he has with Pops and various other characters.
He won. Period.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

hepcat wrote:That I can understand. No insult intended, I just disagreed with your assertion that the music was a weak point in the show. :wink:
I feel insulted nonetheless. Where is my safe space?

But yeah, I don't pretend to be any kind of music expert. Well, except on Thursdays, when I'm Dr. Nigellus P. Flintwhistle - but let's not get into that.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I liked the series overall, but not as much as DareDevil, which I felt was just stronger overall in terms of story and character growth. I thought Diamondback was pretty bad and I didn't like him. The music was terrific. I liked that we had a black hero in an all-black neighborhood and it was no big thing. I liked Cottonmouth and Misty and Pops. The story was okay, overall. I'll definitely watch season 2, and Luke Cage was better than 85-90% of the other shows on TV, so I'm not exactly complaining.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Love Luke Cage. When I was younger, I used to not like movies with all black characters but I guess as I grew older, I became less "racist" than I used to. :)

From all the villains, I like Cottonmouth the most. I think the story of how he became a bad guy is interesting.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm indebted to the show for introducing me to the music of Raphael Saadiq. That cat is so smooth. :ugeek:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was probably my second favorite performance (after the aforementioned Charles Bradley).
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

$iljanus wrote:I'm indebted to the show for introducing me to the music of Raphael Saadiq. That cat is so smooth. :ugeek:
I highly recommend Lucy Pearl, the short-lived R&B group featuring Saadiq and members of En Vogue and Tribe Called Quest. They put out just one album, but it's a gem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote:
$iljanus wrote:I'm indebted to the show for introducing me to the music of Raphael Saadiq. That cat is so smooth. :ugeek:
I highly recommend Lucy Pearl, the short-lived R&B group featuring Saadiq and members of En Vogue and Tribe Called Quest. They put out just one album, but it's a gem.
Saadiq with some of En Vogue and Tribe Called Quest sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation!

The Charles Bradley stuff is pretty cool too. Can you dig it?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I'm 4 episodes in and so far I'm really digging it. However, I'm starting to think that Luke Cage himself might be a little boring. He's basically Superman without as many powers. The fights are like Godzilla trashing a city while ignoring bullets and tanks and shit. Luckily that's a minor thing so far, and I'm pretty much in love with Mahershala Ali's (real name Mahershalalhashbaz) Cottonmouth. His club is awesome, too! Good entertainment recruiting. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm beginning to think you're a cape chaser. :D

Iron Fist trailer from NY Comic Con - looks like it'll be out in March.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That looks fantastic. I suspect the fight scenes will easily rival Daredevil's.

Also, I'm almost finished with Luke Cage, and I agree with everyone that said
Spoiler:
Diamondback was a let down. What a crappy, 2 dimensional villain. They should have just put someone in a Snidley Whiplash costume. It would've been more compelling.

The Stokes family should have been the big bad...period.
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

10 episodes of Luke Cage down, will probably finish it tonight. It's a good series, but looks like it could have definitely used some tightening up. I think it was Episode 9 that seemed like filler. At this point it seems to have somewhat forgotten the Harlem, black-culture style that resonated so loudly throughout the first episodes.

Couple spoilery complaints:
Spoiler:
-Diamondback sure can't shoot worth shit. A low-gut shot from a perfect sniping position? Then a high shoulder shot from 20 yards? Dude. Hit the shooting range some.
-I don't like how they're handling Claire (Rosario Dawson). She's pretty much a superhero groupie here. Wanting to provide nursing care to people with special powers is an odd introduction.
That said, the show, so far, is much better than Jessica Jones.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I am four episodes into Luke Cage and like what I see. As has been mentioned, the musical acts are all top notch.

I know nothing about comic books, but is Luke Cage set in a world where all white people are really bad?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, and that's not the setting in the Netflix series either. What makes you think it is? :?
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Like I said, I've only seen four episodes, but which white character isn't?
Spoiler:
I can think of all the guards in prison and the dirty cop partnered with Misty. What other white characters are there?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a huge leap of logic to assume that every white person is supposed to be evil in this show based on the actions of the VERY small number of white people shown.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I didn't assume. I asked.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It just surprised me, that's all. I never once thought that while watching the show. Nor have I come across anyone else who brought that question up. I was trying to figure out how that question even came about.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

To me it was kind of obvious that every person that has my skin color is despicable. I'm not crying foul because the show is good and I seriously doubt that's going to be the angle of the show. But I've never seen a series where the only white characters were terrible people.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just don't get that. There are only about 3 or 4 white characters that are actually featured in the show to any real degree. And one of them turns out to be actually not that bad later on. At the point you're at in the show, the only Hispanic characters that have been shown are pretty awful. But I didn't question whether or not all Hispanics were supposed to be bad in Luke Cage's world.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, although it may seem that way. I know you enough to realize that's not even remotely true. It just struck me as an odd thing to question, that's all.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'll be honest, I haven't watched a show with a majority black cast since Sanford and Son. It's not that I don't like shows with a black cast by default, I just haven't wanted to watch any of the ones I've seen on TV - Family Matters, A Different World, Empire, Tyler Perry's X, etc. So now I'm getting into Luke Cage and didn't ever realize that the cast was almost all black until about three episodes in. It didn't matter. But when I noticed that it struck me as a little odd that the only white characters were pretty bad dudes. Mainly because the one redeeming white guy turns out to be a bad guy himself. When are we as white people going to get beyond these stereotypes? :D

I didn't feel that way about hispanics because the kid who they were protecting (can't remember his name), while he certainly was part of a crime, seemed to have a good heart.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

And one thing that I don't quite follow. Cottonmouth and Pops were about the same age right? Weren't they good friends as kids? It seems like Cottonmouth is about 30 years younger than Pops though. Am I missing something?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Luke Cage is actually a rather important show in one really great aspect: it's a primarily black cast that doesn't make race relations the central subject, yet doesn't shy away from it either.
McNutt wrote:And one thing that I don't quite follow. Cottonmouth and Pops were about the same age right? Weren't they good friends as kids? It seems like Cottonmouth is about 30 years younger than Pops though. Am I missing something?
Yeah, I found that odd as well.

I was also initially confused about the timeline of the show in relation to Jessica Jones. At first I thought it was taking place BEFORE JJ. But then I realized it takes place AFTER it.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think you're right about the issue of race in the show. Other shows I mentioned were "black shows" in that they seemed to be targeting a black audience. I don't feel that way at all about Luke Cage.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Oh yeah, one more question. i haven't seen any other Marvel show, but these are all in the same universe, right? There was a scene where someone saw Luke's power and asked if he was one of "them" or something. It was a little jarring for me because I wasn't thinking that the everyday people on the show are used to a world where there are Hulk, Thor and tons of mutants running around.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote:Oh yeah, one more question. i haven't seen any other Marvel show, but these are all in the same universe, right? There was a scene where someone saw Luke's power and asked if he was one of "them" or something. It was a little jarring for me because I wasn't thinking that the everyday people on the show are used to a world where there are Hulk, Thor and tons of mutants running around.
Yes, same universe. They even directly reference the destruction wrought in The Avengers movie in the first season of DareDevil.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Zaxxon wrote:
McNutt wrote:Oh yeah, one more question. i haven't seen any other Marvel show, but these are all in the same universe, right? There was a scene where someone saw Luke's power and asked if he was one of "them" or something. It was a little jarring for me because I wasn't thinking that the everyday people on the show are used to a world where there are Hulk, Thor and tons of mutants running around.
Yes, same universe. They even directly reference the destruction wrought in The Avengers movie in the first season of DareDevil.
Also has references to the conclusion of season 1 of Jessica Jones.
words
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They continually make references to "the incident" too, I believe. And I assume that's the alien invasion from Avengers 1.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

And are the X-Men mutants part of this universe too? I ask because I can't remember any mention of mutants in non-X-Men movies.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

McNutt wrote:And are the X-Men mutants part of this universe too? I ask because I can't remember any mention of mutants in non-X-Men movies.
Not... yet? Depends on whether Marvel Studios can cut a deal with Fox.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I believe Marvel executives would tell you that their lawyers advise them not to address that topic at this time. :naughty:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Ah, got it. I haven't followed that saga. In the comics do those two worlds interact? X-Men, Spider-Man, other hyphenated names. . .
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Frequently. But Marvel kept the licenses for print for all of those.
He won. Period.