Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

cheeba

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by cheeba »

Smoove_B wrote:Did you? I don't follow your blog so I guess I missed it.
Yeah I think I spoke about it in the Jessica Jones thread. Basics:
Spoiler:
The pacing was painfully slow in the first couple-few episodes. The pacing was uneven throughout.
The focus on the blonde girl was weird and then she killed herself and all that shit didn't matter.
The worst part of the show was the upstair neighbor sister who goes to that support group and oddly convinces them all to suddenly hate/blame Jessica Jones. That whole arc was awful.
The way they handled the cop-turned-super-soldier was awful.
Trinity was cartoonishly evil lawyer.
The villain was great and fun and well played... and could have been defeated by any idiot with a gun and ear buds.
As I said, her super powers consisted of breaking locks, 1 bar fight with Luke Cage, and a couple awkward edited jump scenes where it just shows her landing from what must have been a huge jump, reminiscent of 1970's superhero shows. I get it, it's not a superhero show even though it has superheroes and supervillains. Still, they could have done something interesting. Daredevil has what some critics call the best fight scenes of any TV show or movie anywhere. Jessica Jones had... melodrama. If I only want melodrama I can watch any non-superhero show.
The get-the-lesbian-wife-to-sign-divorce-papers arc was not at all entertaining.
I half expect you to criticize Luke Cage because he's not swinging from a web or flying around and shooting heat beams from his eyes....like a superhero.
Me: I want to see more superhero shit than just breaking a couple locks here and there.
You: Oh I get it you want lycra and radioactive spiders and laser beams from eyes!

No. I literally just wanted more than a few broken locks and stupid jumps that are edited like George Reeves in the 1950's Superman tv show.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

cheeba wrote:No. I literally just wanted more than a few broken locks and stupid jumps that are edited like George Reeves in the 1950's Superman tv show.
Sorry, I missed this reply. I'm sure you've been anxiously awaiting my response. :D

I have no idea what your perspective on comics are. In other words, I don't know if you read them as a kid or a teen, read them now or have a particular era of comics that you gravitate towards. For example, on the whole, I really don't like the Golden or Silver age comics. I can tolerate some of the later Bronze age stuff (early 80s) but my formative comic book years are absolutely modern. As such, all the old Captain America, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc... nonsense is lost on me. I find it uninteresting because it's clearly inspired by the time period it was written in. Captain America punching Hitler. Superman being an allegory for immigrants in the United States. Those comics were rarely about the characters but instead about whatever political or global issue they were up against. As part of the modern era, now we get more introspective and start to break down the actual characters themselves. How did they get this way? What are their personal demons that shape and influence how they act? Tony Stark becoming an alcoholic wasn't s story arc in the 1960s because he was too busy fighting Communism.

Anyway, for me comics like Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns are what I'm drawn towards and the Jessica Jones comic (Alias) is in that vein because it's more focused on the character, not some type of external evil force that is threatening the world. I actually started my comic interest with the X-Men in the mid to late 1980s and reading them was like reading a soap opera with mutans. Yes, they were fighting external evil forces but they all had their own problems or personal demons that turned them into more believable characters - not one dimensional Hitler face-punching cliches.

Does that clear things up?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

On topic - Jessica Jones and Daredevil won't be back until 2018:
So far Marvel and Netflix have been sticking strictly to a two new seasons per year release schedule; We had Daredevil and Jessica Jones in 2015, and this year we've already gotten season 2 of Daredevil with Luke Cage to follow in just a couple months time. If that strategy continues then we could be waiting a while for the return of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' solo series - not to mention the first season of The Punisher - and Netflix boss Ted Sarandos confirmed as much during the TCA press tour when he noted that Marvel's 2017 slots will be occupied by Iron Fist and The Defenders.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Smoove_B wrote:Does that clear things up?
Well no. Now I'm confused at why you think things aren't clear in the first place :). I don't think there's anything here I'm misunderstanding or not getting - I just have a different view on the effectiveness of their choosing to go their different route instead of including (some) action. I'm all for more introspection. (My comic background is that I read a couple comics as a kid but didn't have any special attachment to them, btw.) I'm all for doing a superhero show differently. But if you're going to do it differently it better be good, else it's just running on a treadmill. Building a better mousetrap is pointless if your mousetrap is worse. Had the various story elements in Jessica Jones been stronger, I'm sure I would have minded the lack of action less.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Zaxxon wrote:The Full Luke Cage trailer is out.
Looking good. The fight between Luke and Cottonmouth should be awesome. Wonder if Jessica Jones will have a cameo
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

tru1cy wrote:
Looking good. The fight between Luke and Cottonmouth should be awesome. Wonder if Jessica Jones will have a cameo
I'm interested to see how Remy Danton fights, as well.
naednek

Post by naednek »

tru1cy wrote:

I thought we saw and heard her a few times in this trailer....
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Looks good, but how much tension can there be when the protagonist can't get hurt?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As with most other films, the pressure comes in the interpersonal relationships. He may be invulnerable, but the people around him are not.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looked like Rosario Dawson. IMDB says she's in one episode. A bit misleading to have her in the trailer, IMHO.

There was also a cop(?) that seemed to be working with him. Misty Knight?

I did not see Jessica.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I mean, they address the source of tension right in the trailer. Cage is invulnerable, but what about all the folks he's trying to save?
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Looks good, but how much tension can there be when the protagonist can't get hurt?
He CAN be hurt - which is pretty evident from Jessica Jones. Just not conventionally.
Spoiler:
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Streets trailer. I'm beginning to think this is going to be better than Daredevil.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What are the odds I finish this on the 30th?
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

When he said "You want some of this?", I answered "F@#$ yea!"

I just started DD S2. Now I'm going to have a decision to make. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Just finished the first two episodes and I think I like it better than Daredevil. Really enjoying the characters
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

The reviews for Luke Cage have been great so far. Will probably start binge watching this tonight
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

IceBear wrote:Just finished the first two episodes and I think I like it better than Daredevil. Really enjoying the characters
Ditto. Everything about this show just oozes cool. Colter is one of the best casting choices in the history of marvel tv.

And the actress playing Misty Knight? :wub:
He won. Period.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

2 episodes in and its pretty sweet. I really, really love the atmosphere. For some reason the intro credits are just so damn well put together and really set the mood for the show. I am not generally one to notice the art direction, but somehow the cinematographer really sets the mood for the show.

Really enjoying it so far. Love the line at the end of episode 1....minor spoilers. really doesnt give anything away.
Spoiler:
Near the end of episode 1....during the Chinese eatery scene and he's gone 4-4

Owner - we want to hire
luke - I'm not for hire
-dramatic pause
luke - but understand this....I got you!
Looking forward to watching more.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm up through episode 7 or 8, and I definitely like it. It may end up as my third favorite of the Marvel/Netflix shows, or possibly tied with Jessica Jones, but they set a high bar so that's not really a criticism. I thought the first DD season was the best - the character development (for both the heroes and the villain) was the best of any of the series to date, and the action was top-notch. DD2 comes in second primarily because of The Punisher, who was awesome. I didn't actually like Elektra all that much, and the overall storyline was a little muddled (I'd be hard-pressed to tell somebody what DD season 2 was about). Jessica Jones was solid, but got a little dull at times. There were better ways to handle the main villain instead of the convoluted route they took, made worse by the betrayals and counter-betrayals.

As of the end of Episode 7, Luke Cage is in the ballpark with Jessica Jones. There's been good origin story, but not a ton of character development, really. There's still time, of course, but nobody's really growing or changing much so far. I like Ali (Cottonmouth), and liked him way back when he was on The 4400, but Cottonmouth is no Wilson Fisk (though I liked his origin story quite a bit).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a testimony to the show's style when I actually look forward to the musical scenes at Cottonmouth's club. Raphael Saadiq, Method Man...all great...but good goddamn if 67 year old Funk singer Charles Bradley didn't make them all look like amateurs. I'm now searching for any and all music from this man. :shock:
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daredevil might have had more character development but other than Foggy I didn't really like any of the main characters.
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:It's a testimony to the show's style when I actually look forward to the musical scenes at Cottonmouth's club. Raphael Saadiq, Method Man...all great...but good goddamn if 67 year old Funk singer Charles Bradley didn't make them all look like amateurs. I'm now searching for any and all music from this man. :shock:
YES!! I had to go look up "Ain't it a Sin." That was terrific.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That bass line takes at least 48 hours to get out of your head. I just bought his last two albums from google music store.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The music in Luke Cage is like another character in the show and I look forward to scenes in the club solely for discovering new music. I hope Mr. Stokes will have enough ill-gotten gains to keep it running.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am almost done with season 2 of Daredevil. To me this is two shows. A middling to decent very violent show. In the episodes with Fisk it is a fantastic very violent show. He's awesome. One of my main issues with the show is I think the lead actor is at best mediocre. He's way too monotonal as if his shades are masking the fact that he's reading his lines as he is speaking them. I do enjoy the show, but find myself not caring anymore about the doofus partner or true blood chick as they are wearing on me.

I greatly preferred Jessica jones albeit it had built in good will from me with the tenth doctor and a breaking bad actor in it. I also liked the departure idea of a hero rejecting the superhero persona and instead being an alcoholic detective. My fear is how they will follow up the first season.

I really liked Luke Cage in JJ so I am excited to start his show, but I vowed to finish Daredevil first.

Not a comic guy at all. I read some Spider-Man/Batman as a kid, but was never a devotee. I have generally really enjoyed the Marvel movies and not really seen the DC ones (aside from Dark Knight stuff which was awesome) due to bad word of mouth on them. But I digress...]
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Luke Cage is a love letter to 70's black cinema and Harlem. The story is comic book light, but the style and atmosphere are the main attraction.
He won. Period.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

JCC wrote:I am almost done with season 2 of Daredevil. To me this is two shows. A middling to decent very violent show. In the episodes with Fisk it is a fantastic very violent show. He's awesome. One of my main issues with the show is I think the lead actor is at best mediocre. He's way too monotonal as if his shades are masking the fact that he's reading his lines as he is speaking them. I do enjoy the show, but find myself not caring anymore about the doofus partner or true blood chick as they are wearing on me.

I greatly preferred Jessica jones albeit it had built in good will from me with the tenth doctor and a breaking bad actor in it. I also liked the departure idea of a hero rejecting the superhero persona and instead being an alcoholic detective. My fear is how they will follow up the first season.

I really liked Luke Cage in JJ so I am excited to start his show, but I vowed to finish Daredevil first.

Not a comic guy at all. I read some Spider-Man/Batman as a kid, but was never a devotee. I have generally really enjoyed the Marvel movies and not really seen the DC ones (aside from Dark Knight stuff which was awesome) due to bad word of mouth on them. But I digress...]
I really disliked JJ, poor baddy in Tennant and far too maudlin imo. Not started Cage yet as I have more DD to watch but I don't think Dd s02 is as good as 1 either.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tennant was one of the best thing about Jessica Jones.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Tennant was one of the best thing about Jessica Jones.
Jessicaaaaaaa!

He was one scary dude with his ability to make you do :tjg: or :grund: or :wub:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I've watched through episode 10 and Luke Cage is easily my least favorite Marvel series so far. The first 3 episodes started out strong and then it was like the story hit a brick wall. Something is just off for me. It doesn't help that Cage is so ridiculously over powered compared to the main bad guy. He could literally take the big bad down in about 15 minutes if he wanted to.
Spoiler:
The bad guy complaint applies to both Cottonmouth and Diamondback, they're both really similar characters. I guess the biggest difference being that Diamondback has better weapons. But even with those Luke Cage still has the upper hand. They're no Wilson Fisk or the Purple Man.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's almost invulnerable (I think you're forgetting his hospital visit in Jessica Jones), but that's not the point of the show. The people he loves and cares about are not. Because of this (and his past), his (nigh) invulnerability has also isolated him from everyone around him. Making him into a sad, lonely figure. Luke Cage season one is all about his learning how to rejoin the human race again. Finding hope again. I'm guessing season two will be about his life as a superhero (for hire).

And Spiderman, Daredevil, Superman...they all fight criminal geniuses at times (Kingpin, Lex Luthor) that they could easily beat if they were to cut loose. But they can't because they're...well...heroes. The villains don't have that problem though, so they often pose a threat in ways you don't expect. Such is the case with the villains on Luke Cage.

And as mentioned earlier, the show really shines for me because of the atmosphere and style. The story is your average comic book fare...villain, bad guy, fight. But it's the setting in which this happens, the characters who we are introduced to as we go through the story, that makes it one of my favorite Marvel shows.

That it doesn't shy away from factoring in race (I love Cage's line in one episode when he's repeatedly called "Nigga" by a young mugger) is another aspect I think raises it above the standard Marvel fare. Cage is proud of his heritage, and he's bemused as to why others aren't. It's a strong message that feels organic to his character, and not like a contrivance intended to take advantage of headlining issues over the last few years.
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Finished it. Liked it. Loved the music and setting and most of the casting. Ultimately, though, I feel it suffered from "oh crap we need to fill 13 episodes" syndrome. At 8-9 episodes a la Stranger Things this probably would have been much tighter.

Also,
Spoiler:
replacing Cottonmouth with Diamondback halfway though felt like a downgrade. Yes, DB was a lot more powerful, but Cottonmouth was way more interesting to me as a character.
Further thoughts: I loved Misty Knight. I'd watch a show based on her with no superhero stuff in it at all.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I keep hearing that it's a 9 episode show that was given 13 episodes. I know I'll watch it but I'm not sure Mrs Tjg will enjoy it and it might sour her on future Marvel series. Do I attempt watching with her?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would say this and Jessica Jones would appeal to non-comic book fans more so than Daredevil.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So Danny Rand is being played by a pot?
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched the first two episodes of Luke Cage last night. Really enjoyed it.

Probably need to check out Jessica Jones one of these days.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.