Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by Zaxxon »

My experience with Netflix series(es) has been that they tend to start slow. Without the constraint of fitting a 'complete' story into each episode so as not to lose people week to week, they tend to focus less on in-episode arcs and more on the overall season arc. They tend to have a slow, season-long build. This has been the case with JJ, Daredevil, House of Cards, Bloodline, Hemlock Grove, etc.

It takes an adjustment of mindset, but I can't say it's a problem, at least for me.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

AWS260 wrote:
TheMix wrote:Exactly my thoughts. I have to periodically stop when I find myself empathizing with him and remind myself that he really is a monster. He has done a stellar job portraying the "tortured" aspect. My favorite L&O:CI episodes are the ones where he portrays the same "barely controlled emotional struggles". He seems better than most at pulling that off.
D'Onofrio's guest appearance on Homicide is required viewing for anyone who likes his work. It's stellar television.

Looks like the whole thing is up on YouTube.
That is the only Homicide episode that I remember. Saw it many years ago. I actually found it more than a little unsettling. I didn't realize that he was the victim. </shudder>

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Zaxxon wrote:My experience with Netflix series(es) has been that they tend to start slow. Without the constraint of fitting a 'complete' story into each episode so as not to lose people week to week, they tend to focus less on in-episode arcs and more on the overall season arc. They tend to have a slow, season-long build. This has been the case with JJ, Daredevil, House of Cards, Bloodline, Hemlock Grove, etc.

It takes an adjustment of mindset, but I can't say it's a problem, at least for me.
Yeah I watched the first episode and it is definitely a slow start. But Ive never had a problem with the first few episodes of a show taking time to develop the characters and the general atmosphere of the show. When dealing with a character like Kilgrave, its very important to set the tone and delve into the mental aspects of the human psyche. I think is this case, the slow burn pace is going to really pay off, once the feces finally hit the windmill.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm only through 8, but it's definitely building.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hello, everyone. Meet Loras 'Iron Fist' Tyrell!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He looks the part, I must say.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

can't wait for my galaxy s7 promo to come through so I can catch up on this here newfangled netflix thing!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

:D

Marvel's Netflix series are killing it. Just finished Daredevil S2 - there's a magic combination here of really skillful cinematography, deft direction, smart writing and nuanced acting that makes these shows sing. Can't wait for Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DD2 was fantastic. Love the LC trailer, and Iron Fist is filming this summer so I expect we'll see next spring. Word is that both Punisher and Elektra may be getting their own series based upon Bernthal and Yung's performances. Also, we may be getting a Defenders series sooner rather than later. Apparently the contract with Marvel requires that this series air by a certain date so we may see the team up before we even see DD3.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just beat me to it. Nice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not a fan of the Punisher character, but I am a fan of what Bernthal did with the role. Bring it on!
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The Punisher is a tough character to pull off, but they did such an amazing job in DD, they have earned the benefit of the doubt.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Hamlet3145 wrote:Punisher spin-off confirmed.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/29/pu ... el-netflix
I had initially thought this was a done deal. Then I found out it wasn't and I was sad. But now it is and I'm happy again.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

While Bernthal certainly did a tremendous job as Punishmer, after seeing Thomas Jane's Punisher fan film, I can't help feeling he was robbed. Given his obvious appreciation of the character, he would've been for Punisher what Ryan Reynolds was for Deadpool. For anyone that hasn't yet watched it, check out The Punisher: Dirty Laundry on Youtube (it even stars Ron Pearlman, so it's a distinct cut above the typical hokey fan film).

Still, it's great to hear Punisher now gets his own Netflix series, as he was the highlight of Daredevil S2.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:While Bernthal certainly did a tremendous job as Punishmer, after seeing Thomas Jane's Punisher fan film, I can't help feeling he was robbed. Given his obvious appreciation of the character, he would've been for Punisher what Ryan Reynolds was for Deadpool. For anyone that hasn't yet watched it, check out The Punisher: Dirty Laundry on Youtube (it even stars Ron Pearlman, so it's a distinct cut above the typical hokey fan film).

Still, it's great to hear Punisher now gets his own Netflix series, as he was the highlight of Daredevil S2.
Thanks, that was pretty good. While I think he could do an excellent job I don't know that I'd say he got robbed. Bernthal was great as the Punisher.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Netflix has allegedly acquired the rights to Moon Knight, Blade and Ghost Rider.

:think:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

MOON KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was one of the characters I suggested for that thread about which hero you wanted to get a movie.

When I was young, my granddad bought a 30-gallon garbage bag full of comic books from a yard sale, and there were a ton of Moon Knight books in there. I read those things until they were falling apart. I loved all the classic heroes like Spider-Man, Batman, etc. but I had a special affinity for Moon Knight because nobody else really knew who he was. He didn't have cartoons and TV shows, etc. so he felt like he was "mine."

P.S. I haven't read all of them yet, but the fairly recent Moon Knight comic book was extraordinarily well-received. The first few issues that I did read were phenomenal. I need to pick up the trade paperbacks.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed May 18, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moon Knight? Yes, please. My familiarity with the character is limited to the Pinball FX table, but I like what I've seen.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Moon Knight could be interesting just because he is so...unknown outside Marvel-dom. IMO though they should aim to minimize the elements that he has in common with a certain DC character and focus on the mental illness/and his merc background more.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was an unabashed Ghost Rider fan as a kid. I remember devouring those comics each month. Then reading any other books he made an appearance in. I hope they stick with Johnny Blaze though.

I was also a big Moon Knight fan when he hit the scene. I loved the whole back story for him.

Blade I can take or leave.
YellowKing wrote:MOON KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I haven't read all of them yet, but the fairly recent Moon Knight comic book was extraordinarily well-received. The first few issues that I did read were phenomenal. I need to pick up the trade paperbacks.
They're all available with a marvel unlimited subscription. I was just checking them out recently. I wish DC would offer a similar digital subscription service.
Covfefe!
Odin

Post by Odin »

Blade's a cool character and I liked the first Wesley Snipe movie very much (as I recall, I liked the TV series, too, though it was short-lived and poorly-received). It's a bit problematic as part of the MCU, however - it presupposes that on top of "enhanced individuals" like Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and the Agents of SHIELD's Inhumans, mystics like Doctor Strange and his enemies, aliens like the Skrull, and on and on, you ALSO have an entire underworld of vampires running around. It just makes the world seem rather... crowded with non-humans. Probably not an insurmountable problem, though. I certainly welcome another high-quality Marvel Netflix series.

I confess I know nothing about Moon Knight. I was fond of ROM: Space Knight, but that's as close as I ever got. As above, however, I trust Marvel and Netflix at this point to give me quality entertainment.

I know I read a few comics that either starred or featured Ghost Rider back in the day, but I don't remember much in the way of details. I've seen bits and pieces of the movies, but they didn't do much for me. I'll give it a look-see, however.

With all of this investment in new shows by Netflix, what I'd most like to see is a Dredd series on Netflix. I loved the most recent Dredd movie with Karl Urban and I think a series on Netflix would be a perfect platform for it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Comic Con releases trailers for Luke Cage, The Defenders (more of a teaser), and Iron Fist.

You know, in case you were thinking of dropping your subscription over a lil' price hike. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The value I get out of my Netflix subscription versus the price I pay (even with a hike) boggles my mind sometimes.
Smoove_B wrote:Comic Con releases trailers for Luke Cage,
Sugar Bates is in it!
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And Season 2 of Narcos.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Same. They're easily on par with HBO, and at half the price. And that's not a knock on HBO.
Odin

Post by Odin »

If they would just make a Judge Dredd show with Karl Urban, I think I'd have convulsions and pass out. But even without that, I'm pretty stoked for more Marvel goodness.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:Comic Con releases trailers for Luke Cage, The Defenders (more of a teaser), and Iron Fist.

You know, in case you were thinking of dropping your subscription over a lil' price hike. :wink:
Looking forward to them all. Marvel's Netflix series have fantastic!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Odin wrote:If they would just make a Judge Dredd show with Karl Urban, I think I'd have convulsions and pass out. But even without that, I'm pretty stoked for more Marvel goodness.
I think they announced they're doing a sequel to the movie. Yep, here it is. Karl Urban confirmed at Denver Comic Con (around June 20) that Dredd 2 is in development.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Smoove_B wrote:Comic Con releases trailers for Luke Cage
That trailer had more action than what was in all of Jessica Jones.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If Jessica Jones was an action-based story, that would be a valid complaint, sure. You're likely first in line to complain that there aren't enough zombies in The Walking Dead, aren't you? :wink:
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Smoove_B wrote:If Jessica Jones was an action-based story, that would be a valid complaint, sure. You're likely first in line to complain that there aren't enough zombies in The Walking Dead, aren't you? :wink:
Silly me for wanting a "superhero" to do more than occasionally break a lock :P.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like we watched a different series. The whole point of Jessica Jones is that she's a super hero that doesn't want to have the power she possesses. That's what makes her story interesting. Not because she can take a punch or throw people around like rag dolls.

It's fine that you didn't like it, but expecting it to be something it never was is strange.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Personally, having watched only DD S1 and half of JJ, I'm enjoying JJ much more. Though I'm not sure I can articulate exactly why. DD kind of felt flat to me. Though the ending of S1 was outstanding. So I have higher hopes for S2. I'm finding JJ to mesmerizing. I'm not sure how I'd feel about more manifestation of her powers. It's clear that she doesn't want to use them; presumably due to guilt. So far, what I've seen of S1 feels like a drawn out origin story. Until she comes to terms with her demons, she won't be able to be the superhero that she could be. I don't expect her to stay this way. But the journey is fascinating.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If they've got moon Knight, hopefully there will be some werewolf by night soon...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Smoove_B wrote:I feel like we watched a different series. The whole point of Jessica Jones is that she's a super hero that doesn't want to have the power she possesses. That's what makes her story interesting. Not because she can take a punch or throw people around like rag dolls.

It's fine that you didn't like it, but expecting it to be something it never was is strange.
I didn't expect it to be something it was not. I expected some superhero shit, which I think is valid considering the main character is a Marvel superhero. But that's just one fault in a show that had many, which I think I've already gone over before.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn, finally watched both trailers. I was most looking forward to Iron Fist, but that Luke Cage trailer made me change my priorities. That was insanely good.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

cheeba wrote: I didn't expect it to be something it was not. I expected some superhero shit, which I think is valid considering the main character is a Marvel superhero. But that's just one fault in a show that had many, which I think I've already gone over before.
Did you? I don't follow your blog so I guess I missed it.

It's a "superhero" story because it's about the PTSD suffered by someone with superpowers that was manipulated by someone else with superpowers into doing things against her will. She's a really messed up person that just happens to be really strong. Again, I totally understand not liking it if you were expecting lasers and Lycra. But in terms of telling a story, the series delivered.

I half expect you to criticize Luke Cage because he's not swinging from a web or flying around and shooting heat beams from his eyes....like a superhero.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

cheeba wrote:I didn't expect it to be something it was not. I expected some superhero shit.
If you think you didn't get superhero shit, you are confused.