Ready Player One: The movie

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

Re: Ready Player One going into production

Post by Brian »

DD* wrote:And +1 for Rush - how have they not been used in movies up till now?!?!
Fan Boys
Limelight, Tom Sawyer

The Waterboy
Tom Sawyer

Trailer Park Boys
The Spirit of Radio

I Love You, Man
Limelight, Tom Sawyer

Goon
Working Man

Small Soldiers
Tom Sawyer

Probably more. Most of them are Tom Sawyer but others make it in there as well.

Edit: Updated a bit
Last edited by Brian on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I blame A.I. on Spielberg more than Kubrick, who batted damn near 1.000. Spielberg will occasionally pull out a Saving Private Ryan or Catch Me if You Can, but then he'll follow it up with Indiana Jones IV or Lincoln.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote:I blame A.I. on Spielberg more than Kubrick, who batted damn near 1.000.
Eyes Wide Shut.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

McNutt wrote:I blame A.I. on Spielberg more than Kubrick, who batted damn near 1.000. Spielberg will occasionally pull out a Saving Private Ryan or Catch Me if You Can, but then he'll follow it up with Indiana Jones IV or Lincoln.
It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of it was a Kubrick movie that Spielberg took over. That's like designing a movie for Jack Nicholson to play Jack Nicholson in and then once you get rolling just shooting with Tom Cruise instead.
Isgrimnur wrote:Eyes Wide Shut.
I wonder if I would like it better after all of these years. That movie disturbed me too much to really pay attention if it was good or not... or really what the point of it was... Kubrick is actually someone I would give another chance to and assume the problem with the movie was me. Especially when it comes to being disturbed. He's done a number of movies that disturbed me greatly but I still thought were wonderful. Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange never fail to make me cringe and yet I'd watch them again and again.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

LordMortis wrote:
McNutt wrote:I blame A.I. on Spielberg more than Kubrick, who batted damn near 1.000. Spielberg will occasionally pull out a Saving Private Ryan or Catch Me if You Can, but then he'll follow it up with Indiana Jones IV or Lincoln.
It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of it was a Kubrick movie that Spielberg took over. That's like designing a movie for Jack Nicholson to play Jack Nicholson in and then once you get rolling just shooting with Tom Cruise instead.
Maybe, but since I've liked everything I've seen by Kubrick I'm thinking that the Spielberg touch is a big reason I hated A.I.
Isgrimnur wrote:Eyes Wide Shut.
I completely loved Eyes Wide Shut. That movie was fascinating and it, as well as the shots of Kidman's ass, stuck with me for a long time.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I haven't read the book and maybe I should, but that trailer made it look very generic. Saw very little of the 80's influences talked about aside from the music. I can only hope a newer trailer comes along to give me a better impression.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rumpy wrote:I haven't read the book and maybe I should, but that trailer made it look very generic. Saw very little of the 80's influences talked about aside from the music. I can only hope a newer trailer comes along to give me a better impression.
The trailer does nothing to explain the plot of the book. It only provides a glimpse of the setting. You should read the book first. Or listen to Wil Wheaton read the audio version.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rumpy wrote:I haven't read the book and maybe I should
probably shouldn't, as it's not good. cringe-inducing, actually.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YMMV
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

hitbyambulance wrote:
[X]

Buzzzzzz, wrong answer.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

From my reading of the book, I figured that if you grew up in the 80s with videos games, you would likely love it. But the writing itself is not that good.

I loved it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's really divisive, and I don't know if it's a generational thing or what. I absolutely loved it, and really didn't notice any bad writing. But that may have been my love of the material overriding my critical eye.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Shinjin wrote:From my reading of the book, I figured that if you grew up in the 80s with videos games, you would likely love it. But the writing itself is not that good.

I loved it.
The writing in the book is not super great, but being from the 80s, I enjoyed my read of it, even while knowing as I read it that I was being shamelessly pandered to. I have no desire to read it again and I might see the movie or I might not, depending on the quality. This book == beach fiction for me, something that enjoyably passed the time but that I would certainly understand if other people didn't enjoy it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

It's not a great book. Its heavy handed in its characterizations and plotting and it's not particularly well written. What it is though, is a fun book. It's a literary popcorn movie. It's not meant to be anything else.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Popcorn movie. Yeah, see that's the impression I got from the trailer.

I'm currently reading a novel called The Impossible Fortress and the marketing for the book cites Ready Player One, but this book is set in the 80's and is about young computer programmer, and feels more like an ensemble comedy/drama making me think of the Goonies among other 80's movies with younger casts.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This article title made me laugh. I kinda agree with it.
'Ready Player One' is a terrible book and it will be a terrible movie
https://theoutline.com/post/2076/ready- ... -movie-bad
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

GreenGoo wrote:This article title made me laugh. I kinda agree with it.
'Ready Player One' is a terrible book and it will be a terrible movie
https://theoutline.com/post/2076/ready- ... -movie-bad
You guys are harsh. It's entirely possible that the movie will suck, but I don't understand the hate towards the book. It's not War and Peace, but I enjoyed it enough to listen through the audiobook twice inside of three years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The only thing I didn't like about the story was any death in the game was permadeath. This made no sense given you would also lose your academic records. Any online game like that would be totally dominated by early adapters who would grab all the uber gear and grief everyone who leaves the safe zone.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It was just poorly written. It "feels" amateurish. Like something a night creative writing class might produce after several drafts. "Hey remember when this happened in the 80's?" For 75% of the book does not make for great fiction.

And just to throw some gasoline on the fire, Wheaton's reading made it worse.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm the exact target audience. I came of age during the 80's and not only remember but actively participated in most of what he writes about. Tomb of Horrors was my favourite module, for example. But the excitement of a near constant nostalgia run wore thin after awhile, at which point it actually started to detract from the story telling.

Don't get me wrong, it's far better than anything I could do, but when you have so many great authors to choose from...this doesn't make the list.

All this is imo of course, but I feel my opinion is more valid than usual, as the book practically has my name in it, along with millions of other children of the 80's.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Counter argument. I am also the target demo and I loved it. Don't let GreenGoo scare you off. Based on it's popularity at the very least you will probably enjoy it. I am with gbasden.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Moat_Man wrote:Counter argument. I am also the target demo and I loved it. Don't let GreenGoo scare you off. Based on it's popularity at the very least you will probably enjoy it. I am with gbasden.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

PS, Wil's reading was fantastic! :tjg:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

gbasden wrote:
Moat_Man wrote:Counter argument. I am also the target demo and I loved it. Don't let GreenGoo scare you off. Based on it's popularity at the very least you will probably enjoy it. I am with gbasden.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

PS, Wil's reading was fantastic! :tjg:
Heh. I'm willing to accept that peoples' tastes run different, but Wheaton's reading was objectively crappy. :P In fact I wouldn't be surprised to find out part of why I found the book mediocre was because I had to listen to Wil at the time.

P.S. I like Wil, for the most part.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New trailer is out today.
Slated for release on March 30, 2018
So...many...references.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am I blame A.I. on Spielberg more than Kubrick, who batted damn near 1.000. Spielberg will occasionally pull out a Saving Private Ryan or Catch Me if You Can, but then he'll follow it up with Indiana Jones IV or Lincoln.
Irrefutable fact: Lincoln was better than Saving Private Ryan.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm
McNutt wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am I blame A.I. on Spielberg more than Kubrick, who batted damn near 1.000. Spielberg will occasionally pull out a Saving Private Ryan or Catch Me if You Can, but then he'll follow it up with Indiana Jones IV or Lincoln.
Irrefutable fact: Lincoln was better than Saving Private Ryan.
Well I did like the part where he killed vampires with his trusty axe.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Am I the only one that thinks of Mame Jump! whenever I hear Jump by Van Halen? Hell, that flash video is so full of 80's video game references they could have used it in Ready Player One.

Edit: YouTube link for those not flash inclined:
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm Irrefutable fact: Lincoln was better than Saving Private Ryan.
Seriously? I love history and Lincoln was WAY more boring than it should have been. When they finally voted, was it really necessary to have each member pause for 15 seconds before giving their vote? It's not building up tension when you do it twenty times AND we already know the outcome! Did we need to hear Lincoln's watch tick that loud just because the sound guys managed to record the ticking of Lincoln's actual watch?

Agh, don't get me started on Lincoln. Spielberg definitely has talent. He has wowed me on many occasions. But I can't stand at least half of his movies. And some of them I despise. He's a wait-for-video guy now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Trailer looks good. No sign of narration by Wheaton. Doubleplus good.

This might actually be better than the source material. It would be hard to be worse. :wink:

Just kidding, the worst criticism I have for the book is that it was mediocre.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You haven't looked hard enough then. ;) There's some pretty iffy stuff going on with the main female character mostly existing to be the love interest/prize for the protagonist, and the two Asian characters being paper thin and also just happen to dress up like samurai.

I remember kind of liking the book when I read it, but the more I've read and thought about it, the less I do. Which is really fueling my lack of interest in the movie. I'm fine with a movie that has a ton of references. Wreck-it Ralph pulled it off super well, but it only works if the plot and characters are the focus, and the references are there in the background. Ready Player One was entirely references, with the characters way in the background. I'm not convinced the movie adaptation pulls it off.

It also seems to star either Mr. Fantastic or Slenderman:

Enlarge Image
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Holman

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 am
Holman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm Irrefutable fact: Lincoln was better than Saving Private Ryan.
Seriously? I love history and Lincoln was WAY more boring than it should have been. When they finally voted, was it really necessary to have each member pause for 15 seconds before giving their vote? It's not building up tension when you do it twenty times AND we already know the outcome! Did we need to hear Lincoln's watch tick that loud just because the sound guys managed to record the ticking of Lincoln's actual watch?

Agh, don't get me started on Lincoln. Spielberg definitely has talent. He has wowed me on many occasions. But I can't stand at least half of his movies. And some of them I despise. He's a wait-for-video guy now.
I started it, but let's not fight really.

I think Day-Lewis is a great Lincoln and Spielberg's script and shooting are strong. There are far too few movies that make actual politics vital and compelling, and this is one of them.

SPR, on the other hand, is (after the beach scene) a cheap buddy-team war movie as bad as most. Everything WW2-realistic about the opening scene is equally unrealistic and comic-book afterwards.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chaz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 am You haven't looked hard enough then. ;) There's some pretty iffy stuff going on with the main female character mostly existing to be the love interest/prize for the protagonist, and the two Asian characters being paper thin and also just happen to dress up like samurai.
Shrug to both of those. If you're going to have samurai (and this is the kind of book that is going to have samurai, we're just lucky they weren't ninja samurai) it's completely fine that the samurai be Asian. I mean, it's not a caucasian thing. Sure it's cliched, but that's just part of the mediocrity.

Don't care much about the love interest. If there are no strong female characters, that's just a sin of our times. This and a billion other books have committed the same crime. Just look at the infinite supply of Romance novels Kasey is going through. Men exist to fight over the woman in those. I'm not saying the Romance novels are good, I'm saying this is normal for mediocre books.

The movie seems to be almost entirely special effects, and from the trailer, good ones. I'm ok with that. The other option is it's about 80's pop culture. I think they made the right choice. ;)

Complaining about promo images is just petty, at this point. :D I mean, I agree with you, but I simply don't care. I've watched a billion movies without ever seeing the cover art, so to speak.

I will say it looks like they really nailed the trailer towers. I guess they could be more densely packed, but the movie trailer does a good job of conveying poor, squalid living conditions.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:42 pm
DD* wrote:That looked pretty darn good - and this sort of film is right in Spielberg's wheelhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a love/hate relationship with Spielberg. For every good move he makes, and some of them are amazing, he makes one that is just awful. This gives me the A.I. vibe big time. That's not a good vibe BTW.
Huh. I, for one, loved A.I. One of the few films I bought (other than kid movies) on physical media. I've watched it maybe 3 or 4 times. Lots of flaws, to be sure, but the epic scope hides a lot of layers and philosophical complexity.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 am
I think Day-Lewis is a great Lincoln
On this we agree.
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 amI, for one, loved A.I. One of the few films I bought (other than kid movies) on physical media. I've watched it maybe 3 or 4 times. Lots of flaws, to be sure, but the epic scope hides a lot of layers and philosophical complexity.
I think the layers were too hidden. :) I felt that the movie tried to overcome its shortcomings with fancy CGI and I was never interested enough to care. Spielberg has a way of putting me off. He's very prolific, but unlike Scorcese, he is not consistent. For example, I have a strong dislike for all of these movies:
Twilight Zone (his story)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Empire of the Sun
Hook
Jurassic Park 2
A.I.
Indiana Jones IV
Lincoln

That doesn't mean that I enjoyed all of the rest. Some, like Minority Report and Bridge of Spies, were not that good, but I didn't consider them complete fails like the ones above. I'll still see most of his movies because when he's on fire we get great movies like Jaws, Saving Private Ryan (it had its faults, but it also redefined how war movies were filmed), Raiders of the Lost Ark and Schindler's List.

Ready Player One does not look that good to me. I'll give it a chance though because Catch Me if You Can didn't look that good either and Spielberg nailed it. Like I said, it's a Love/Hate relationship.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:08 pm
Really enjoyed that book. Not going to win any literary awards, but it was a very fun read. YMMV
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 am
McNutt wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:42 pm
DD* wrote:That looked pretty darn good - and this sort of film is right in Spielberg's wheelhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a love/hate relationship with Spielberg. For every good move he makes, and some of them are amazing, he makes one that is just awful. This gives me the A.I. vibe big time. That's not a good vibe BTW.
Huh. I, for one, loved A.I. One of the few films I bought (other than kid movies) on physical media. I've watched it maybe 3 or 4 times. Lots of flaws, to be sure, but the epic scope hides a lot of layers and philosophical complexity.
+1
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:08 pm
Amazon

Goodreads:

I'm not stating an opinion, as I have not read it (plan to), but when two different sources have that many reviews, with such high ratings...
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And Drumpf was elected president.

There's no accounting for taste.

I am slightly surprised at those ratings.

Twilight has the same rating with just shy of 9000 reviews.

50 shades of grey has slightly lower rating with nearly 50000 reviews.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

lol and of the many opinions I see here, it really varies greatly. Basically, books can be highly subjective, and this book really seems split on the opinions. Personally, I think I''ve heard more about the plot through various ongoing discussions to know it's not something I'd like.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

As a child growing up in the heyday of most of the references in this book, I absolutely dug it. Sure, it's a total nostalgia trip, but I felt that was part of the goal. The story is an interesting premise on why people in the future would embrace the 80s and the various uses of knowledge was put to good use for the "quest".

I have a friend who I thought would also love it, and his opinion was quite the opposite of mine. He felt the author was just throwing out 80s trivia for the sake of it and didn't enjoy the story at all.

My main concern is how they're going to handle all of the IP rights since the story was all over the place with references to so many different property owners of TV shows, games, movies, robots...it would be a legal/monetary mess to stick close to the source material.

From Zak Penn (Screenwriter):
"He was then asked about the process of using all these iconic games and pop culture references in the movie. Had the licenses already been cleared or how did that work?
That doesn’t happen until we’re actually making the movie. Put it this way, I took some huge liberties in the script. Not as many in the book. If you had to license the stuff in the book, it would cost a billion dollars. You write a script, you take your chances, you say, ‘This is what we’re going to do. This is where we’re going to take cars and scenes from these movies and these properties, and then you hope that you’ll get the rights to it, but we’re not at that point yet. I just finished the script. When you start getting into production and casting, that’s when you would start going through and saying, ‘Okay, can we get the rights to Donkey Kong?’ or what have you. It’s very different in a film like that than it is in a documentary where you can just declare fair use and do it.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Buatha wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm As a child growing up in the heyday of most of the references in this book, I absolutely dug it. Sure, it's a total nostalgia trip, but I felt that was part of the goal. The story is an interesting premise on why people in the future would embrace the 80s and the various uses of knowledge was put to good use for the "quest".

I have a friend who I thought would also love it, and his opinion was quite the opposite of mine. He felt the author was just throwing out 80s trivia for the sake of it and didn't enjoy the story at all.

My main concern is how they're going to handle all of the IP rights since the story was all over the place with references to so many different property owners of TV shows, games, movies, robots...it would be a legal/monetary mess to stick close to the source material.

From Zak Penn (Screenwriter):
"He was then asked about the process of using all these iconic games and pop culture references in the movie. Had the licenses already been cleared or how did that work?
That doesn’t happen until we’re actually making the movie. Put it this way, I took some huge liberties in the script. Not as many in the book. If you had to license the stuff in the book, it would cost a billion dollars. You write a script, you take your chances, you say, ‘This is what we’re going to do. This is where we’re going to take cars and scenes from these movies and these properties, and then you hope that you’ll get the rights to it, but we’re not at that point yet. I just finished the script. When you start getting into production and casting, that’s when you would start going through and saying, ‘Okay, can we get the rights to Donkey Kong?’ or what have you. It’s very different in a film like that than it is in a documentary where you can just declare fair use and do it.
The first part of your post is exactly how I experienced it. My sister passed it on to me, knowing I'd love it and I did. I mentioned it to a friend of mine (that used to post on here quite frequently), and his response was surprisingly meh. "Is that the one with all the 80's crap? Yeah, I got a couple of chapters into it but lost interest."

I was shocked, because he and I grew up gaming together back in the 80's and 90's. He's moved across country and we still talk shop about the games we're playing, and ironically he's become engrossed in VR stuff. It was a huge shock to me when it didn't scratch the same itch it did for me...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins