Ready Player One: The movie

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Ready Player One: The movie

Post by rshetts2 »

It looks like a movie version of Ready Player One is finally moving forward. Warner Bros. has finally stepped it up:

http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-24/warner- ... player-one
Last edited by rshetts2 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Moliere

Re: Ready Player One going into production

Post by Moliere »

rshetts2 wrote:It looks like a movie version of Ready Player One is finally moving forward. Warner Bros. has finally stepped it up:

http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-24/warner- ... player-one
:pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

This thing is going to be a licensing nightmare.

I also hope someone goes through and completely eliminates every instance of the word "classic" from the screenplay.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's a product placement cornucopia. A way to bring nostalgic products back into cultural awareness beyond the Gen X target demographic. Toy Story paved the way.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I recall commenting on just how tired I got of the nostalgic callbacks, and I'm the target demographic.

I never did finish it, although I got close.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:This thing is going to be a licensing nightmare.

I also hope someone goes through and completely eliminates every instance of the word "classic" from the screenplay.
Classic post, Chaz.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I came across this book on my table the other day. I got it in a mystery box. Have not read it and have no idea what it is about unless its to do with gaming history.,.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote:I came across this book on my table the other day. I got it in a mystery box. Have not read it and have no idea what it is about unless its to do with gaming history.,.
There is a thread on the book here. Basically it is about gaming in a bleak future, with many retro references. IMO worth a read.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Jaymann wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I came across this book on my table the other day. I got it in a mystery box. Have not read it and have no idea what it is about unless its to do with gaming history.,.
There is a thread on the book here. Basically it is about gaming in a bleak future, with many retro references. IMO worth a read.
Yeah its no Pulitzer winner but its definitely a fun read especially if you grew up in the 70's/80's
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I'm actually reading this now, about halfway through. It's gimmicky but a decent light read.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I didn't get far into the book--something about it felt too much like fanfic. I could see the potential in the premise, though, and it might be the kind if thing Spielberg could make work.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

If you haven't read the book yet, or are on the fence, I suggest the following: Play Joust for about 24 hours (straight or not, it's up to you), and obtain yourself a copy of the AD&D module Tomb of Horrors from 1978. It's basically an endless series of traps designed to kill adventurers, but it's fun to read the module. It may be the original inspiration for the Grimtooth's Traps books. Basically it's a big FUCK YOU to the people who may take on that challenge.

Anyway... Find a copy of Tomb of Horrors and read up on all the insane BS inside, and play lots of Joust. It would also help if you were born between 1970 and 1986.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dude, I not only read Tomb of Horrors, I lost my favorite 1stEd halfling thief there.

[Weeps uncontrollably]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Ready Player One going into production

Post by Zarathud »

Gary Gygax drank of your tears.

I tried to send an alternative party through Tomb of Horrors -- and failed. We did the same with Castle Ravensloft and 2 of the 6 characters survived.

I will watch this nostalgia. Spielberg is the right choice.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Classic release date!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too bad it's been moved back to March.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Too bad it's been moved back to March.
2017? I missed it!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Next year. :P
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't find March 2017 on my next year's Calendar. Looks like I will have to see on Blockbuster's.

I'm tired and I want to go home.
DD*

Post by DD* »

No PC version though - OASIS only.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Isgrimnur wrote:Enlarge Image
Damn you. With this image after the Tomb of Horrors talk I thought someone produced a version of it for VR and was all ready to get a headset.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

DD* wrote:No PC version though - OASIS only.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Also, John Williams won't be writing the music for this movie due to scheduling conflicts. Alan Silvestri will be scoring it instead.
Hodor.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

killbot737 wrote:If you haven't read the book yet, or are on the fence, I suggest the following: Play Joust for about 24 hours (straight or not, it's up to you), and obtain yourself a copy of the AD&D module Tomb of Horrors from 1978. It's basically an endless series of traps designed to kill adventurers, but it's fun to read the module. It may be the original inspiration for the Grimtooth's Traps books. Basically it's a big FUCK YOU to the people who may take on that challenge.

Anyway... Find a copy of Tomb of Horrors and read up on all the insane BS inside, and play lots of Joust. It would also help if you were born between 1970 and 1986.
Tomb of Horrors has been re-released and updated for D&D 5E. It's in a classic adventure compilation called "Tales From the Yawning Portal". You're welcome.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And I just picked up Grimtooth's Ultimate Trap collection, published in 2016. Everything old is new again. I didn't know about the Tomb of Horror reprint - that really was a classic adventure. It's also probably why when I started Ready Player One it felt like I was in for an awesome ride. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote:Too bad it's been moved back to March.
That's probably a good idea otherwise it would most likely have been overshadowed by that indie film that comes out around that time..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Trailer is out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, The Stacks look exactly like I pictured them in my head. To the point of being a little eerie.

Not sure how I feel about the rest of the trailer, as I really don't remember all that much about the book. I remember I enjoyed it, but that's about it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote:Wow, The Stacks look exactly like I pictured them in my head. To the point of being a little eerie.
I had the same thought. Also, you can't really complain about the CGI, since the the online component is all CGI.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jaymann wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Wow, The Stacks look exactly like I pictured them in my head. To the point of being a little eerie.
I had the same thought. Also, you can't really complain about the CGI, since the the online component is all CGI.
I had somehow pictured them as more densely packed together. It seemed like there was lots of empty space, where space was the precious commodity.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Those wide open spaces are for parks and rec.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And for server double posts.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

That looked pretty darn good - and this sort of film is right in Spielberg's wheelhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD*

Post by DD* »

And +1 for Rush - how have they not been used in movies up till now?!?!

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

DD* wrote:That looked pretty darn good - and this sort of film is right in Spielberg's wheelhouse.

I have a love/hate relationship with Spielberg. For every good move he makes, and some of them are amazing, he makes one that is just awful. This gives me the A.I. vibe big time. That's not a good vibe BTW.
DD*

Post by DD* »

McNutt wrote:
DD* wrote:That looked pretty darn good - and this sort of film is right in Spielberg's wheelhouse.

I have a love/hate relationship with Spielberg. For every good move he makes, and some of them are amazing, he makes one that is just awful. This gives me the A.I. vibe big time. That's not a good vibe BTW.
I'm hoping he is due for a good one. My fear is that instead of realizing this is a light-hearted, popcorn movie moment, they might try for the OMG LET ME PREACH THE MESSAGE OF DOOM TO YOU CONSUMERIST HEATHEN. In which case it will undoubtedly blow donkey dick.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

DD* wrote:
McNutt wrote:

I'm hoping he is due for a good one. My fear is that instead of realizing this is a light-hearted, popcorn movie moment, they might try for the OMG LET ME PREACH THE MESSAGE OF DOOM TO YOU CONSUMERIST HEATHEN. In which case it will undoubtedly blow donkey dick.
With a touch of global warming doom thrown in.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

McNutt wrote:his gives me the A.I. vibe big time.

That's what I was thinking but then I tell myself AI started as Kubrick vehicle that was turned over to Spielberg. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, looking at his IMDB, the last thing I really liked by him was Catch Me If You Can in 2002 and me not bothering to see too many of his other films since then

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/?ref ... 1#director