[tv] The Leftovers

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[tv] The Leftovers

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/27/ ... 4a06000042

Seems its about a town where people disappear never to return with no explanation.......some people lose no one while others lose their entire family. Totally random.
Advance Review: HBO's The Leftovers casts a gripping, morbid spell. Think of it as a unique entry in the "post-apocalyptic" genre. It's a dystopian future, but with all the amenities intact. It's the human psyche that's taken a beating, not the planet. Numbness, nihilism, anxiety, rage, violence, and mystery all play out on a canvass that resembles our exact world. But it's a world that, on both large and small scales, can't deal with unexplained loss.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gameoverman

Re: [tv] The Leftovers

Post by gameoverman »

I had high hopes for this show until I saw the special 'making of...' show about it. One of the guys behind LOST is in charge of this and he said he hopes people don't watch because they want to know why everyone disappeared, but instead to see how the characters deal with the disappearances.

So it's just like LOST then? The people making the show are in denial about why people are watching it. I'm still going to check it out but my expectations have been adjusted. It has an interesting cast though, so that might help.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

If I lived in a town where people constantly disappear, I'd just move.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Kelric wrote:If I lived in a town where people constantly disappear, I'd just move.
Which is probably all that happened to all the people who disappeared in the first place. They just moved.
Twitter: joerumz
tgb

Post by tgb »

It's not a town, it's the whole world. I want to give it a shot because it seems to have a pretty dark sense of humor (among the people name-checked who have disappeared are Anthony Bourdain and Gary Busey).
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm looking forward to this because I am hoping to be one of The Left Behind someday.

Imagine a world with only we evil people left! :dance:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

gameoverman wrote:I had high hopes for this show until I saw the special 'making of...' show about it. One of the guys behind LOST is in charge of this and he said he hopes people don't watch because they want to know why everyone disappeared, but instead to see how the characters deal with the disappearances.
So zombie flicks should always go out of their way to explain why and how the dead are coming back to eat human flesh?

Stories like these are usually at their highest when dealing with the character drama, and tend to fall apart when trying to explain whats going on.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

tgb wrote:It's not a town, it's the whole world.
Well, that is different then. Anarchy for everyone!
tgb

Post by tgb »

My concern is based on the hot mess that Lost eventually became. It felt like the writers were making it up as they went along, with almost no concern for continuity or consistent characterization. Not to mention how awful the finale was.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Since this show is based off of the Tom Perrotta book, Lindelof should have at least some idea where the show is going. That said, MINORISH SPOILER ABOUT WHY PEOPLE DISAPPEARED
Spoiler:
the book never explains the disappearances. So Lindelof is on his own for that one.
Black Lives Matter
Lnorigb

Post by Lnorigb »

The premise reminds of The Returned (on Netflix). I'll watch this new one.
Last edited by Lnorigb on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -anais nin

“Some people never go crazy; what truly horrible lives they must live.” - charles bukowski
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

msteelers wrote:
gameoverman wrote:I had high hopes for this show until I saw the special 'making of...' show about it. One of the guys behind LOST is in charge of this and he said he hopes people don't watch because they want to know why everyone disappeared, but instead to see how the characters deal with the disappearances.
So zombie flicks should always go out of their way to explain why and how the dead are coming back to eat human flesh?

Stories like these are usually at their highest when dealing with the character drama, and tend to fall apart when trying to explain whats going on.
There's a difference between material where the story is the key thing, and material where the characters are the key thing. Game of Thrones is a good example of a character oriented show. You can't sell that show on 'medieval fantasy with some supernatural stuff going on'. The concept of GOT is not enough to interest viewers, but the cast of characters can and has hooked viewers.

In LOST, I was not watching because I was dying to know what would become of Kate, or anyone else on that show. I was watching for the concept, this island with all this strange phenomenon going on, what's up with that?

In this Leftovers show, at first glance the concept is what grabs me. All these people disappear, what the hell? No one is getting on with their lives until this is settled. So I don't see how the show can string it along without answering that question. How do you go back to work and live the rest of your life when all those people have vanished and no one knows why? It doesn't sound reasonable. I could be wrong though, maybe they have a way of making this work.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

WOW, you guys are either really busy monday morning or you're really slacking off. I thought there would be a ton of comments about the show
even after it aired last night.

I gotta say this first, the pilot episode was one of the creepiest and slightly depressing shows I've ever seen on tv.

Second thing...I hope the chief of police learns what a razor and shaving cream is. I'm impressed he wasn't wearing wrinkled
uniforms to work.

Anyhoo, gotta get my kid ready for swim class today. Later!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Not much to say so far. The stuff that most fascinates me about a story like this, the details of what happened and how, is the part we don't get any information on.

I don't know what to make of that cult yet. They attract members because...? I don't see why anyone would join. I'm sure some future episode will spell out the appeal.

The one guy yelling to the crowd that it's not the rapture, well there were not a lot of people claiming it was. He should have been focused on whatever those cult people were doing, because that is obviously the religious challenge to the view he's promoting in town.
tgb

Post by tgb »

We haven't watched it yet - we still have to catch up with Penny Dreadful, Falling Skies, and the series finale of Californication, first.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I couldn't get into Lost, and I probably couldn't get into this - I don't care for needless mystery for the sake of mystery.

The disappearances, logically, it's got to be 1 of two things as a root with few variable paths. Refusing to actually explain it seems like "creative license" to follow no sensible plot line, and that's just a cop-out to me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I'll be the solitary vote for the guy who loved Lost for the way they handled characters.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

We watched. We liked it. For the love of God, anything is better than HBO True Blood! Gave it another chance and turned off the second episode half way through.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Toe

Post by Toe »

Watched it. Me and the wife thought it was rather lukewarm. Some of the cast was really weak in the acting skills department we thought. For some reason yet to be revealed, the cult (seen in the previews) smoke cigarettes all the time, which I really cant stand watching anymore (ex-smoker). Maybe that is what the writers were going for, but ugh, already sick of it.

I am slightly interested in plot line concerning the dogs/deer, so we are going to keep watching to see how it develops, wondering the whole time if it is going to become a we're-never-gonna-resolve type of plot.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Watched it and not sure I will continue with it. I need answers on why and I get the feeling this show will never give that answer
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Watched it last night. I'm not sold, but I am interested enough to watch it again this Sunday.

Full disclosure - I loved Lost, even after it started to get frustrating and go off the rails.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I like this show. Good setup and execution. I like the little details that kind of set the tone like that cult that gets off on watching the survivors of the departed, or how the federal government seems to be divided between militant secularists and militant born againers, slowly sliding into madness and civil war. Its interesting to watch all the various sides cooperate and compete.

Also episode five, holy shit
Spoiler:
Where that mob abducts one of the guilty remnant, duct tapes her to a tree and stones her to death. I have no real problem with violence in movies and that has to be one of the most horrifying acts of violence I have ever seen depicted on film. The way they graphically show every stone strike her head, and the wound it leaves. The way she begs for her life in the end, head deformed, voice slurred, blood leaking from every orifice. I was stunned and horrified.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm glad I stuck with this. It's taken a while to get going - or, maybe more accuately, for me to get into the rythm of the show. But now that I'm getting it, I'm really enjoying it. Or, enjoying it as much as you can enjoy a show as incredibly depressing as this. Last night's episode was a high point thus far.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I do not find "The Leftovers" depressing. I don't really connect with characters on television. I am more interested in the things that happen rather then the drama aspect. Now "The Mill", THERE is a depressing show.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nora is a hottie but man is she high on the hotness/craziness scale. :wink:
Black Lives Matter
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Watched every episode, I have no idea where this thing IS or where it's GOING.

Every episode it's a collection of weird happenings that I can't string together
to make sense.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Does anyone know what the plan is re: the book (which I haven't read)? Is this season supposed to cover the whole book and then any future seasons will be completely up to the writers? Or is the plan to take multiple seasons to get through the book? I have much more confidence in Tom Perrotta ability to tell a complete story than Damon Lindelof.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Is anyone still watching this show? I thought the second season was fantastic after a just ok first season. Season 3 (and the final season) has been pretty good so far as well. Of course, it's a David Lindelof show, so I fully expect to be disappointed in the conclusion/resolution of the show...
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Is anyone still watching this show? I thought the second season was fantastic after a just ok first season. Season 3 (and the final season) has been pretty good so far as well. Of course, it's a David Lindelof show, so I fully expect to be disappointed in the conclusion/resolution of the show...
I am watching it and loving it. I will say Lindelof has said many times that we won't find out what happened during the Departure, that he is fully focused on dealing with people's reactions to it. So hopefully, the conclusion will still be good.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This is the fourth season? I thought I was caught up but I swear I've only seem two seasons. Damn.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

msteelers wrote:This is the fourth season? I thought I was caught up but I swear I've only seem two seasons. Damn.
Right now it's the third and final season.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Thanks. I misunderstood then.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

msteelers wrote:Thanks. I misunderstood then.
Oops - probably didn't need the "and" in the parenthesis.
Malificent wrote: I am watching it and loving it. I will say Lindelof has said many times that we won't find out what happened during the Departure, that he is fully focused on dealing with people's reactions to it. So hopefully, the conclusion will still be good.
I thought I had read somewhere that he explicitly said they would explain what happened. But I don't really care to know why people departed or where they went, I just want a decent explanation of what's going on with Kevin. It better not be (LOST SPOILER UPCOMING) damn purgatory again.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Like every show out there it is on the TiVo and I'm looking forward to watching it.

I agree SE2 was SO MUCH better than SE1 and I liked SE1...
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So i watched the first two episodes of Season 1 yesterday. And i am "ok" with it. Kind of find the cult silly and lame actually. And I dont know if i have fully buy into the premise and setting yet. The acting is good so far, its just the story that i am ho-hum with so far. I watched it due to the Lost credentials which I found to be an awesome show.

I am not sure if i should continue with it or not. Any advice? I plan on watching a couple of episodes tonight to see if it hooks me...so far it hasn't.

So i guess...in a spoiler free way can ya recommend if i should stick with it? Cut bait? I am not really into it yet, and i guess I would like to...it just hasn't gripped me. Any advice on orienting on watching the show would be helpful.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It's a slow burn. I would try and get and finish season 1, and then decide if you want to move on to the rest.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Seasons 2 & 3 aren't quite as dark. The show took a while to grow on me, but I now think it's one of the most unique I've ever seen with some amazing acting. Carrie Coon as Nora is stunning.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As I've said above, I didn't think Season 1 was all that great and was hesitant to even bother with Season 2. But Season 2 was great and definitely worth watching Season 1 for. And so far Season 3 has been more like Season 2 than 1. So my advice would be to stick with it.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So got a few more episodes in. Still lukewarm to it, but interest slightly rising . It's a coin flip right now if i stay with it into season 2. Still having trouble buying into the premise overall so its hard to suspend my disbelief. Still find the cigarette smoking cult to be silly, lame and hard to understand their draw (i mean c'mon seriously, way to give yourself cancer...which paradoxically the thought struck perhaps that's what they want). Part of the hangup i guess is I cant for the life of me fathom why someone would want to join them. I think i am halfway through episode 5. So the cult & overall setting (the semi-rapture) is still a problem for me. I guess I dont understand what the cult is trying to do, and i dont understand the hatred toward them (yeah i get the absorbing of loved ones, pictures, and their stalking). I dont feel that's been well explained so far. Best I can do is supposition and guesses. It would be nice to have a clearer sense of the motivation for the cult. (i think from observation its this- they are trying to forget the past and move on and think everyone else should).

The positives so far is the acting is really good. I am starting to buy into the characters themselves....the cop, priest & hunter are intriguing; not so much the cop wife & liv tyler[ (though why she wants to join is beyond me) and their struggle to deal with this. I found episode 3 (priest & luck episode..trying to stay spoiler free) to be the best one so far by a mile and that actually goosed up my interest.

Right now I plan on finishing Season 1 will re-evaluate then; probably watch a couple episodes of Season 2 and see from there. I am also trying to only watch 2 episodes a night (read somewhere Lindeoff said his series shouldn't be binged). It could very well be that its not for me. Wanted to thank folks for the advice.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Your observations about the cult are 100% backwards.