[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by em2nought »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:41 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 am
gameoverman wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 am The fatalist remark was in the context of wearing a mask in a park. I walk, on the sidewalk, around my neighborhood for exercise. At no time am I within I'd say around 10 feet of anyone, most times not even that close. The closest I might be are people in a car driving by as I'm walking. Even if they had their window open, they are passing by at around 30 mph at least, and I'm on the sidewalk. I'm not infecting them just because I have no mask on. UNLESS this virus does in fact drift around constantly. In that case they are getting infected anyways, whether I wear a mask or not. Their car window is open, the virus is drifting in, it's not like I'm the only person in town.
I went for a run on Tuesday and took a fairly quiet side street along the Metra tracks. There were a ton of people out, walking with kids, dogs, running, etc and even with running in the middle of the street, I was breathing heavy, as you do, and I could just imagine the expanding vapor trail behind me. I ended up cutting into the alleys and running my route that way.
I wonder if there are gonna be more cases of covid-19 in short people? Maybe the guy wearing a scuba mask and snorkel had the best idea. Get some of that "high" air above the germs. :think:
two months
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 am
gameoverman wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 am The fatalist remark was in the context of wearing a mask in a park. I walk, on the sidewalk, around my neighborhood for exercise. At no time am I within I'd say around 10 feet of anyone, most times not even that close. The closest I might be are people in a car driving by as I'm walking. Even if they had their window open, they are passing by at around 30 mph at least, and I'm on the sidewalk. I'm not infecting them just because I have no mask on. UNLESS this virus does in fact drift around constantly. In that case they are getting infected anyways, whether I wear a mask or not. Their car window is open, the virus is drifting in, it's not like I'm the only person in town.
I went for a run on Tuesday and took a fairly quiet side street along the Metra tracks. There were a ton of people out, walking with kids, dogs, running, etc and even with running in the middle of the street, I was breathing heavy, as you do, and I could just imagine the expanding vapor trail behind me. I ended up cutting into the alleys and running my route that way.
That's exactly how I felt. Both giving and receiving, so I took the alleys which were empty.

The current advice is to assume you are contagious and act accordingly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I run at least every other night and I've just taken to crossing to the other side of the road to avoid passing directly by anyone. We have some new construction back behind us which resulted in a 1/3 mile loop of empty lots. That's been a great place to go to run loops and not bother anyone.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

We really should stop relying on Medium articles and badly researched/non-peer reviewed information regarding the Coronavirus.
Hodor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm We really should stop relying on Medium articles and badly researched/non-peer reviewed information regarding the Coronavirus.
But not non-peer reviewed Vice articles?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:04 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm We really should stop relying on Medium articles and badly researched/non-peer reviewed information regarding the Coronavirus.
That Vice article wasn't publishing its own scientific research.
Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Years from now, the analysis of the infodemic will still be going on. Too much information. Too few filters for unreliable/non-credible information.

There will not be enough MMQB rolling eyes emojis to do it justice.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:20 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:04 pm
That Vice article wasn't publishing its own scientific research.
You're right.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm pretty proud of Texas. Despite being the 2nd most populous state with 3 urban areas over 1 million in population (granted, the population density is low), we are currently ranked 11th in overall infection count.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
Texas more than doubled the number of tests it reported last week but still only reported 55,764 results. That’s a rate of 192 tests per 100,000 people, compared to a rate of nearly 1,400 per 100,000 in New York state.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:57 pm USA Today
Texas more than doubled the number of tests it reported last week but still only reported 55,764 results. That’s a rate of 192 tests per 100,000 people, compared to a rate of nearly 1,400 per 100,000 in New York state.
This image from that article is very helpful to see where your state is in testing
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Where I walk there's basically no one on the street. It's the foothills area so there's the occasional car driving by, there are four lanes so the car often will be in the left lane even farther from the sidewalk. There are no other pedestrians, at least not when I walk. There are occasionally people walking out to their car, but the driveways are long so I never get near them as I walk by on the sidewalk. This is not a neighborhood where people walk around a lot. You get in your car and leave, or you drive home and go inside once you park. I see coyotes more than I see people.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There's more traffic on the sidewalks and footpaths out on the fringe of civilization than I recall seeing before.

Regarding tests, not surprised IL is so far behind the norm. My wife's coworker finally got her (thankfully negative) results 10 days after being tested. It's not like she works someplace where an outbreak could kill a bunch of old and sick people...oh, wait.

That she's had a 10-day fever in this time has not yet been explained.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:50 pm There's more traffic on the sidewalks and footpaths out on the fringe of civilization than I recall seeing before.
Michelle works at a state park. The cabins, nature center, campgrounds and pools are closed, but she says that the paths and trails are busier than she's ever seen them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The state parks here are officially closed. There's one not far from my house, haven't tried going there. Trail markers are a bit inconsistent and last time we spend 3 hours wandering aimlessly before finding our car again.

When I go to and from work, I pass by a long stretch of the Fox River trail. Lots of people there...like mid-summer numbers on marginal (and cold) spring days.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:50 pm There's more traffic on the sidewalks and footpaths out on the fringe of civilization than I recall seeing before.
Michelle works at a state park. The cabins, nature center, campgrounds and pools are closed, but she says that the paths and trails are busier than she's ever seen them.
Y'all know that I walk a lot, and have been pounding the same turf for 15 years now. I'm used to seeing a few dog walkers and joggers and baby pushers over my 3-mile route every morning. For a little while it was like a freaking promenade, but in the past week people have started cowering in fear again.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Call your auto insurance company and ask for a partial refund due to reduced traffic during covid-19
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/some- ... =home-page
two months
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:16 pm Call your auto insurance company and ask for a partial refund due to reduced traffic during covid-19
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/some- ... =home-page
Good tip. IDK if it will apply to me; Geico already gives us the low-mileage, not-a-commuter discount, and $800/year for full collision coverage on two cars is already a good rate. Still, can't hurt to ask. They have been entirely cooperative every time I've contacted them before.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Progressive is auto applying 20% discount to April and May.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Geico is taking 15% off for renewals and new policies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

two months
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think that one of the the US is the epicenter of the coronavirus is that we are the third most populated country in the world and we had so many people out there traveling abroad. Tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. A lot of those got back before we started taking precautions. So it spread all over the country in no time. Yes, I do put a lot of the blame on them. I'd like to yell at them but of course they didn't know.
Another reason is that I believe we test and report more than most other countries. Other governments seem to want to cover their asses (like our president) more than fixing the problem.
Also the virus is just now getting to Africa where they have no equipment or education either.
In the long run when these things are all tallied the US won't look so bad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Went to the post office today with this picture in mind, watched the foot traffic pattern, checked the wind, plotted my path, took a gulp of air before running in and checking the P.O.Box, ran back out, zagged into a clear path that no one had walked, breathed. :doh:
two months
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:04 pm Progressive is auto applying 20% discount to April and May.
USAA is doing the same.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I have to wonder if this might have happened anyway in a world with no virus, but Covid-19 appears to have claimed its first sports league casualty, as the XFL is firing everyone and has no plans to return in 2021.
Hodor.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I would guess the XFL might be an example of a business which might otherwise have been saved instead being put to death by the ripple effects of the virus.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A group of friends and I just had a virtual happy hour over Zoom where everybody brought a beer. It was a ton of fun just getting to hang out and chat for a couple of hours. We're really fortunate we have the technology to still be able to socialize in an environment where we shouldn't be able to socialize.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YellowKing wrote:A group of friends and I just had a virtual happy hour over Zoom where everybody brought a beer. It was a ton of fun just getting to hang out and chat for a couple of hours. We're really fortunate we have the technology to still be able to socialize in an environment where we shouldn't be able to socialize.
It really does help. My extended family and my workplace are both also using Zoom for happy hours.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife Skyped her brother this morning. He said something in gobbledebgook, but he didn't understand my response as he speaks no English.

Another friend as supposed to stop by today and pick up some N95 masks my wife just got from China. Turns out his wife had some episode last night where her arms went rigid and numb. He asked my wife's opinion, and she said it could be a blood clot and that she ought to see a doctor immediately. He then spent about 2 hours trying to convince me it was probably something benign, like split ends or a hang nail. I kept repeating sure, it could be something minor, but it could be a blood clot and the result is lights out if it hits arterial plaque at the wrong angle. When she woke up she insisted it was probably chapped lips and nothing to worry about. I suggested he remind her that only immediate family is allowed at funerals right now but he declined to pass that along. He never did come to get he masks, I was all set to have a socially distant beer with him out on the patio.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 pm
YellowKing wrote:A group of friends and I just had a virtual happy hour over Zoom where everybody brought a beer. It was a ton of fun just getting to hang out and chat for a couple of hours. We're really fortunate we have the technology to still be able to socialize in an environment where we shouldn't be able to socialize.
It really does help. My extended family and my workplace are both also using Zoom for happy hours.
I tried this but the bartender was a dick.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States topped 500,000 on Friday as health officials reported the highest number of death in a single day.
The peak use of resources -- like hospital beds and ventilators -- will be on or around Saturday as suggested earlier this week, according to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington in Seattle.

States like New York and New Jersey may have already passed their peaks this week, but Florida and Texas could see the worst by the end of the month, according to the IHME model.

Dr. Chris Murray, director at the IHME, said that even if the country sees a decrease in the number of deaths, ending mitigation efforts -- like stay-at-home orders or social distancing -- could have a negative effect by the summer.

"If we were to stop at the national level by May 1, we are seeing (in models) a return to almost where we are now sometime in July," Murray said on CNN's AC360.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:19 am CNN
Dr. Chris Murray, director at the IHME, said that even if the country sees a decrease in the number of deaths, ending mitigation efforts -- like stay-at-home orders or social distancing -- could have a negative effect by the summer.

"If we were to stop at the national level by May 1, we are seeing (in models) a return to almost where we are now sometime in July," Murray said on CNN's AC360.
I wonder if that takes into account all the new counter measures being implemented by businesses and consumers that we didn't bother doing before?
two months
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've not gone out of my way to be any more social than normal on social media, but others it seems are getting desperate for contact. I left a "good job" comment on a picture an acquaintance posted about a 7-mile run. This girl was a friend of a former favorite bartender who I hired to work for me at the hospital, and I met her the night before going on my first trip to the Philippines. She's a lizard lady, which I get a kick out of, but correspondence has never exceeded several one-liners in a year.

Today we chatted via FB Messenger for 90 minutes, which is more than the sum of all conversation we've had, real and virtual, in the 10 years I've known her.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

em2nought wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:03 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:19 am CNN

I wonder if that takes into account all the new counter measures being implemented by businesses and consumers that we didn't bother doing before?
If what I've seen is standard, most of them are implemented in such a way that they have little if any impact. They're feel-good theater, but they do keep people aware. Those that do have an impact are like setting out two sandbags to hold back a flood compared to the benefits of what we're (theoretically) doing now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Los Angeles county is at 8400/244. I have to admit the numbers both in this county and in the country as a whole are far lower than I thought they'd be at this point in time. We're almost at mid April and when I look around at people I don't get the feeling that the situation is that much worse, if worse at all, than what the numbers suggest. I haven't heard from any family or friends about them getting sick OR them even hearing about someone they know getting sick. That doesn't prove anything, I know that, but honestly by now I thought things would be bad enough that I'd feel personally threatened by this virus and I don't. I feel kind of optimistic, like if I keep my distance I might actually be able to skate by without getting sick.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Being here in the N.Y. metro area, things are different. I expect that a lot of people around here have either lost someone, or know someone that has.

Thankfully I haven’t lost anyone (my MIL is in a nursing home that has begun to have infected residents, so there’s some worry there). However a close work friend of mine lost his dad on Monday. Another work friend lost his dad a few days before. I know a few people that are in an ICU, and a couple of people that have recovered.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
mori

Post by mori »

I think the rest of North America can relax. The most highly dense populated places were going to get the hardest hit and we are seeing that. We are mostly spread out on this continent so I think 80% of us will never be affected by this virus. So if people are sensible, wash their hands, and keep social distancing rules, we can reopen society in May.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

mori wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 pm I think the rest of North America can relax. The most highly dense populated places were going to get the hardest hit and we are seeing that. We are mostly spread out on this continent so I think 80% of us will never be affected by this virus. So if people are sensible, wash their hands, and keep social distancing rules, we can reopen society in May.

That's the time to relax?
mori

Post by mori »

In a country of 330 million, sure.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And most of those 330 million live in....highly populated urban areas.