[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jag

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Jag »

Doc now thinks my 19 year old has it after a second video consult today. Had a max of 101.6 fever but mostly in the mid 100s. Day 3 of fever. Congestion. Coughing and today chest pain when he coughs. Hoping symptoms stabilize and go down, but still terrified and really starting to lose it.

Of course my wife and I were all over him before we knew and we are both in our 50s. We've got him mostly isolated to his room or the backyard. Did a mobile test yesterday, 1 week for results.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ugh, best of luck, Jag.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 am
disarm wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 pmI'm grateful that my hospital has acquired them because they're the best protection we can have. As long as our PAPRs don't break down, I know that I can do most of my job safely, even once we run out of N95 masks.
In the days and months to come, I genuinely believe we're collectively going to come to realize just how much medical front-line workers shouldered during all of this.

Enlarge Image

Stay safe.
A lot of low-pay jobs hopefully will get a lot more respect coming out of this. Grocery store workers are so overworked right now, and putting themselves in high risk of infection. They’ve gone from being ordinary workers making a living to front line fighters.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Four cases at the State School in my county. That’s <2 miles up the road from me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

wonderpug wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:30 pmA lot of low-pay jobs hopefully will get a lot more respect coming out of this. Grocery store workers are so overworked right now, and putting themselves in high risk of infection. They’ve gone from being ordinary workers making a living to front line fighters.
Also very true. Anyone in logistics right now - truck drivers, delivery, stocking, retail -- we're collectively riding on their shoulders. If we're no longer able to get food/supplies to people in the coming months, we are in real trouble.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If we're no longer able to get food/supplies to people in the coming months, we are in real trouble.
Been that way a week for me. I went 3 times and didn't find what I needed. Empty shelves.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jag, hoping for the best. Statistically you're in good shape but I'm sure that's little consolation. Also of probably little consolation is the fact that many of us will be joining you shortly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:56 am US has had nearly 300 deaths. We have almost as many cases as Germany but about 8 times the deaths or more.
I've been puzzled by Germany's low death total (even in comparison to other European countries that have similar number of cases), and I've heard that Germany only counts deaths that are solely attributable to Coronavirus and not in combination with something else (or aren't doing testing to see if those people had coronavirus) which could explain why.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Hope he gets well soon, Jag.
mori

Post by mori »

Hope you all well Jag.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who live in Florida or who might be interest in a very detailed breakdown of the kind of Covid-19 data collected, here is today's 10am report from the Florida Department of Health. It is a 22 page PDF with all sorts of statistics. It comes from this web page.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:31 pm For those who live in Florida or who might be interest in a very detailed breakdown of the kind of Covid-19 data collected, here is today's 10am report from the Florida Department of Health. It is a 22 page PDF with all sorts of statistics. It comes from this web page.
Almost a 60/40 split for men/women. Interesting. I've been hearing that it is more likely for men to get it that women. There's some data for you.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive heard A blood types gets it more or easier. I dont see how but its a rumor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm just hoping we escape this. With Ethan having Cystic Fibrosis this scares the shit out of us

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am
US is reporting 30+% gains in new cases due to wider testing. 3355 new cases as of 3/19. CDC numbers as of yesterday is 15219... and they don't update during the weekend. Would NOT be surprised to see numbers hit 25000 by Monday or Tuesday.
Yesterday we had 5,594 new cases. We're sitting at 19,956 total right now. We'll be at 25,000 before dinner.
Right on schedule as you predicted. :(
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

With China looking like an amazing worldwide leader in controlling Coronavirus, some theorize that they've probably cremated thousands of bodies based on satellite analysis of emissions, and one exiled billionaire claims they've had in excess of 50,000 fatalities - which is more believable than "Everything here is fine"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Would like to see some facts.

How many test kits does each state have today? How many were used? Out of the used ,how many were tested and how many were positive of the ones tested? Also those that were positive how many needed hospitalization with ventilators?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If only there was some type federal-level disease control agency that could be receiving that information from all the states, collating into daily reports and then preparing informative reports to issue back to the states, public health professionals and the general public.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some expert doc on CNN said this will be like the Spanish Flu and probably 1 or 2 million will die.
mori

Post by mori »

As the Chinese famine, do not believe a word coming from that regime.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Or Tienanmen.

On another note, restaurants are dropping like flies in my area. On Grubhub alone 30% of the restaurants have closed in my area over the last 2-3 days. Maybe its a hiatus but it is dramatic nonetheless. I thought maybe they just dropped off Grubhub so I dialed at least 3 direct. One had a sad message about closing down. :(
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been saying the entire time I dont believe anything China says for one moment.

Also why do they continue to play commercials that make no sense now? Churches saying "Come on down and join us!" and Travel sites and resorts showing their great beaches and little huts and such.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm If only there was some type federal-level disease control agency that could be receiving that information from all the states, collating into daily reports and then preparing informative reports to issue back to the states, public health professionals and the general public.
Hush, Citizen. You know that information is classified to protect the consumers from unnecessary distractions.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

My government agency decided to announce mandatory telework starting Monday about an hour ago, so you can tell how well the government is managing this mess.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Toilet paper calculator.

https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:11 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:56 am US has had nearly 300 deaths. We have almost as many cases as Germany but about 8 times the deaths or more.
What that really means is we didn't test enough, and our actual case numbers are 8x of Germany's.
Probably something in the middle but yeah way more than we know.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Debi Mazar has it

Scary thing is she says she had all the same symptoms a month ago just not as bad and it cleared up. Now its back and worse and it tested as coronavirus this time...no test the first go. Says even now some days is ok the next is bad . Weird stuff.
About a month ago my entire home(husband and two teen daughters) got an odd bug-
Low grade fever,headaches,sore throat,body aches,ears ringing and a dry cough.It cleared up quickly.Seasonal I thought?but it felt unusual/different...
Two weeks later,March 15th,I woke up with all those same symptoms but super intense body aches,and 102.4 fever.I
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jolor wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:49 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm If only there was some type federal-level disease control agency that could be receiving that information from all the states, collating into daily reports and then preparing informative reports to issue back to the states, public health professionals and the general public.
Hush, Citizen. You know that information is classified to protect the consumers from unnecessary distractions.
I just finished watching the first episode of Chernobyl.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm Debi Mazar has it

Scary thing is she says she had all the same symptoms a month ago just not as bad and it cleared up. Now its back and worse and it tested as coronavirus this time...no test the first go. Says even now some days is ok the next is bad . Weird stuff.
About a month ago my entire home(husband and two teen daughters) got an odd bug-
Low grade fever,headaches,sore throat,body aches,ears ringing and a dry cough.It cleared up quickly.Seasonal I thought?but it felt unusual/different...
Two weeks later,March 15th,I woke up with all those same symptoms but super intense body aches,and 102.4 fever.I
Refused a test by her friend/doctor since she didn't meet the criteria. Heard about a CityMD that was giving tests. Went there, got one.

CityMDs site says:
Patients experiencing mild cold/flu symptoms who are seeking to rule out coronavirus for peace of mind cannot be tested at this time. While you may have a compelling personal reason to ask for a test, our providers are administering tests based on strict clinical criteria.
Strict criteria? Semi-famous actor or higher?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

naednek wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:03 pm I'm just hoping we escape this. With Ethan having Cystic Fibrosis this scares the shit out of us

We're there with you. I've mentioned it before, but my son has ended up intubated and in an induced coma because of a cold that spiraled out of control in the past. We have more stuff to protect him now (multiple hospitalizations for pneumonia finally convinced insurance that they should approve things like a vest, cough assist, and bipap), but we're still scared about what happens if/when he gets this.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

A couple of days ago my wife was telling me that she was reading of people putting up Christmas lights to try and spread a little cheer.

Tonight we looked out our back porch and saw that our neighbors had Christmas lights up.

Anyone else seeing this?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:58 pm CityMDs site says:
Patients experiencing mild cold/flu symptoms who are seeking to rule out coronavirus for peace of mind cannot be tested at this time. While you may have a compelling personal reason to ask for a test, our providers are administering tests based on strict clinical criteria.
Strict criteria? Semi-famous actor or higher?
I think there was actually some benefit to giving celebrities more testing initially. Just like a celebrity death hits the public more than the death of a random person you don't know, a celebrity diagnosis makes this more real to a lot of people. Tom Hanks and Kevin Durant getting publicity for testing positive makes this more real for a lot of people, so it may get them to take the warnings more seriously.

Now, whether a B list celeb at this point in the pandemic has any real value is questionable, and whether the cost of testing half of the NBA made sense is certainly questionable. Initially, though, celebs being testing may have had some benefit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Testing celebs when there's testing hesitancy is great. Testing celebrities when there's a test shortage just screams preferential treatment.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:01 pm Testing celebs when there's testing hesitancy is great. Testing celebrities when there's a test shortage just screams preferential treatment.
Right. What I said.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If I was an authority figure, I'd want a wide range of the public tested, so I'd know what I'm dealing with. From the perspective of a member of the public, what good is getting tested? If you're sick, you're sick. You don't want to be in the hospital right now unless you have no choice.

So...if you have this virus and can tough it out at home, that's what you do. If you're sick enough to need hospital care, you go to the hospital. Knowing you tested positive for this virus, or tested negative, does not change that. That's why I don't have a problem with them turning down requests for tests. Other than satisfying someone's curiosity, what difference does it make?

They should still be testing a random sample of the public, both in demographics and location. Rather than testing an entire basketball team I would have tested more civilians. If I was on a team with a player who tested positive I'd consider myself infected and act accordingly. No need to waste a test on me.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

msteelers wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:51 pm A couple of days ago my wife was telling me that she was reading of people putting up Christmas lights to try and spread a little cheer.

Tonight we looked out our back porch and saw that our neighbors had Christmas lights up.

Anyone else seeing this?
I'm seeing the idea passed around a lot locally, but haven't seen it yet. Then again, I'm never out and about at night anymore so I don't really have much of a sample size.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:44 pm
naednek wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:03 pm I'm just hoping we escape this. With Ethan having Cystic Fibrosis this scares the shit out of us

We're there with you. I've mentioned it before, but my son has ended up intubated and in an induced coma because of a cold that spiraled out of control in the past. We have more stuff to protect him now (multiple hospitalizations for pneumonia finally convinced insurance that they should approve things like a vest, cough assist, and bipap), but we're still scared about what happens if/when he gets this.

Last night my wife said she had same drainage going on in the back of her throat. Woke up feeling the same but had no fever. No cough. Until tonight. She has a low grade fever. Could be anything, but still scary.

Does your vest connect to a machine that has air pockets and shakes you? Ethan did the cough assist when he was in the hospital last. That was his first time. Kinda weird.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

People were supposed to take them down? What for?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I was an authority figure, I'd want a wide range of the public tested, so I'd know what I'm dealing with.
Also what if there are people resistant to this and either dont get it or dont get very sick. Carriers too. How would we ever know without thorough testing?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

msteelers wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:51 pm A couple of days ago my wife was telling me that she was reading of people putting up Christmas lights to try and spread a little cheer.

Anyone else seeing this?
I like the idea, but I'd probably skip Christmas-specific lights. Bright colors, though, would be nice. Perhaps if I had one of those laser dot projectors I'd put it out.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)