[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Kraken »

I'll bet SARS-CoV-2 is the most virulent ever at inspiring graphs.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:56 pm This tells me that it's not a situation where your first exposure is the first and last time to worry, it tells me each exposure is a risk.
You were using this idea to support the claim that each time you were exposed, you could be spreading it for two weeks. When you are exposed, you either get it (and may not have symptoms) and get over and are no longer susceptible, or you don't get it, in which case you aren't spreading it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:37 am
gameoverman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:56 pm This tells me that it's not a situation where your first exposure is the first and last time to worry, it tells me each exposure is a risk.
You were using this idea to support the claim that each time you were exposed, you could be spreading it for two weeks. When you are exposed, you either get it (and may not have symptoms) and get over and are no longer susceptible, or you don't get it, in which case you aren't spreading it.
I think you could still be spreading it via smear if you haven't become a religious hand cleanser as of yet.
two months
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:56 pm I'll bet SARS-CoV-2 is the most virulent ever at inspiring graphs.
Enlarge Image
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Every day that I wake up without symptoms is a good day.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Do we have so many extra Covid tests out there that we can afford to test cats and dogs now?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:57 pm Do we have so many extra Covid tests out there that we can afford to test cats and dogs now?
Only if they are living together.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:57 pm Do we have so many extra Covid tests out there that we can afford to test cats and dogs now?
I dunno, my wife's coworker is on day 10 of waiting for her results though...day 10 of fever, too. She only works at a nursing home though, so I guess results are not a priority?
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:36 am
I think you could still be spreading it via smear if you haven't become a religious hand cleanser as of yet.
For a short amount of time. Measured in hours.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

You're leaving out the context. If I was working with someone who tested positive, then found out his wife tested positive two weeks ago, am I getting mad he came to work this last week when he was sick because now I may be infected? No. I know that if he was going to pass it on at work that already happened as far as I'm concerned.

A person can be infected and spreading it for two weeks before showing symptoms. They can then take days to get sick enough to seek medical help. Only after all that are they tested. So if my co-worker's wife tested positive two weeks ago, I should assume it was anywhere from 14-24 days she was infected and passing it on BEFORE she tested positive. Since she's married it's a given that if she passed it to anyone it was her spouse. Am I saying her husband was carrying around the virus for every one of those days? No, I'm not saying that. What I AM saying is that since I don't know which specific days he was infected and spreading it, and which days he wasn't, from my perspective it's an irrelevant technicality to say he wasn't infected the entire time. For me to be infected by him it only required him to be infected on one of those days that we worked together before she tested positive. By the time he himself got sick I was exposed for so long to him and whatever he had been carrying around that it's too late to worry about it, what's done is done.
mori

Post by mori »

My work has scheduled a crew to come in and disinfect the entire complex as a preemptive measure. I guess they just spray chlorine dioxide solution in the air and all the surfaces. It will take them only a hour and half to do all our hundreds of thousands of square feet. They will do this at least monthly until the threat is over or we have an outbreak.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gameoverman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:26 pm You're leaving out the context. If I was working with someone who tested positive, then found out his wife tested positive two weeks ago, am I getting mad he came to work this last week when he was sick because now I may be infected? No. I know that if he was going to pass it on at work that already happened as far as I'm concerned.
It's this bit here-
Gameoverman wrote:If I get exposed to it, I can be a carrier and spreader even though I myself don't get sick from it. Then, two weeks later, I come into close proximity to someone who is infected and maybe they are sick(as in sneezing/coughing). This second time I'm exposed results in me getting sick two weeks later. So you can see how for four weeks I've been a carrier and spreading it, even though I myself have only been sick this past week or two.
If you got sick the second time, then you weren't sick the first time, and thus not spreading it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NJ
New Jersey officials vowed Saturday to speed up the processing of unemployment claims despite relying on a 40-year-old computer system that has been overwhelmed by the record number of requests due to the coronavirus crisis.
"There is nothing I want more than to put your hard-earned benefits into your family budget sooner," he said at Gov. Phil Murphy's daily coronavirus briefing.

Recently jobless New Jerseyans have experienced heavy lag times or issues while trying to collect unemployment insurance, partly due to a "clunky" 1980s computer system that the Department of Labor still depends upon to process claims and issue checks.
"There will be lots of postmortems and one of them on our list will be: how did we get here when we literally need COBOL programmers," Murphy said of the outdated computer language.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:47 pm
Worth pointing out that the first Dalek Invasion of Earth started with a world-wide plague. Terry Nation always did have a fascination with pandemics.

Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This may belong to R&P...

San Francisco Police issued its first misdemeanor citation for violating the shelter in place order. It was to an abortion protester camped outside a Planned Parenthood office complete with a lawn chair. He insists that it's a conspiracy to gag his constitutional rights.
In a phone call Friday evening, Konopaski said he was pacing back and forth in prayer when police cited him.

He had been at the clinic nearly every day since late February as part of a 40 Days for Life campaign to end abortion.

He confirmed that police admonished him a day before the citation, but argued that the order violated his constitutional right to free speech and religion.

“The people who are opposing my being there are just using this order as a tool to engage the police to do their dirty work to get rid of me,” Konopaski said.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

LA county is at 5325/119, which is not bad imo. Testing is still ramping up, only around 29,000 tested so far, so we'll see what happens. 28 deaths just added, 9 of them between 18-65 years old, 6 of those had underlying health conditions.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anyone else terrified by this development
A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday.

The 4-year-old Malayan tiger, and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill, are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said. The first animal started showing symptoms March 27, and all are expected to recover, said the zoo, which has been closed to the public since March 16.
If animals (I.e. household pets) can be vectors for this, that’s horrifying.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The CDC had previously declared that cats and dogs couldn't (or were not) getting infections with COVID-19.
I wonder if this will change that?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Dr.Fauci wrote:Unless we get this globally under control, there is a very good chance that it will assume a seasonal nature in the sense that if - and I hope it's not only if but when - we get it down to a point where it is really at a low level, we need to be prepared. Since it will be unlikely to be completely eradicated from the planet, as we get into next season, we may see the beginning of a resurgence. And that's why we're pushing so hard to get our preparedness much better than it was but, importantly, pushing on a vaccine and doing clinical trials for therapeutic interventions so that hopefully, if in fact we do see that resurgence, we will have interventions that we did not have in the beginning of the situation that we're in right now
also:
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson admitted to the hospital. “This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus,” Downing Street said
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Boston's cases are surging now, and the mayor has asked people to observe a 9 p.m. curfew. Also recommending masks whenever we leave our homes.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

There's a psychological toll at work that I'm having trouble getting my head around.

Each day is feeling like a week. Each week is feeling like a month. Time has slowed down and everything is magnified. It's like watching a train wreck happening in slow motion; helpless to stop it, unable to look away. I load the JHU Map several times a day and stare at it in dismay.

We're sheltering in place, mostly. It seems that every couple of days something is coming up that gets us out. Grocery shopping. Picking up an aggressive dog that my wife hopes can be salvaged and re-homed. Taking my wife in for stitches, courtesy of said dog. Planning to take said dog to the vet tomorrow to have it put down. More groceries and alcohol afterwards, I expect.

Comfort foods are increasingly appealing. Anxiety and alcohol consumption in our house are climbing. We're only on week one of my being unemployed.

If you're curious about the dog, we were told it was being aggressive with it's owner. He was trying to discipline it when it bit him, severing his pinky at the last joint. My wife had sold him the dog early last year as a 8-week old puppy and felt some level of responsibility for it. We've since discovered that it's hyper aggressive around it's kennel and head; and this was caused by very poor training using the "Alpha" (pinning) method. Extreme protection and aggression. Bared teeth, instant snapping. We should have never taken it in. My wife needed stitches because she neglected to put on the cut-proof chain gloves I have and interacted with the dog, accidentally (reflexively) reaching to stop it from chewing on an oily rag it grabbed in the basement.

It's been a LONG first week of unemployment. How many more to come before we normalize? It'll feel like years.
Last edited by Paingod on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paingod wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:47 pm Comfort foods are increasingly appealing. Anxiety and alcohol consumption in our house are climbing. We're only on week one of my being unemployed.
"COVID 19" is the new "Freshman 15"
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:55 pm
Paingod wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:47 pm Comfort foods are increasingly appealing. Anxiety and alcohol consumption in our house are climbing. We're only on week one of my being unemployed.
Yeah, I've been living on pasta and cheese and bread. I've pared my grocery runs down from once a week to every 10 days or so. As the numbers and hysteria build to a crescendo over the next few weeks, I might stop shopping entirely. We could live for at least a few weeks on what's in the pantry and freezer, and I've barely dented my Great Wall of Beer.
mori

Post by mori »

I am glad that I still go into work or otherwise I might be driving myself crazy to.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

due to the rationing, i'm down to my lowest weight in yeeeeeaaars

also experiencing a recurrence of GERD/acid-reflux. i've called my doctor to have the pantoprazole sodium Rx refilled. i s'pose i need a foam wedge to sleep on, now...
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:39 pm Anyone else terrified by this development
From that article:
For some, especially older adults and people, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and can be fatal.
Especially people? :|
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections was just updated, and WA state is now three days _past_ peak resource usage
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've actually lost about 5 pounds since I had to start mandatory teleworking 2 weeks ago.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:40 am
I've actually lost about 5 pounds since I had to start mandatory teleworking 2 weeks ago.
Eating better but can't go to the gym. I've put on 5 probably. Feels like 30.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defiant wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:39 pm Anyone else terrified by this development
From that article:
For some, especially older adults and people, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and can be fatal.
I’ve met older people that can be said not to act like adults.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've put on 4 pounds, despite running nearly every day. Problem is more sitting due to work at home, and a tendency to grab takeout vs using up limited groceries. It's ridiculous around here - even though our town has a tiny number of cases compared to the population, grocery stores are completely wiped out, and have been for weeks now. You still can't find toilet paper.

I'm in pretty good spirits though. I check the news once a day. Don't stare at that Covid map, you'll drive yourself crazy. I also am encouraged by the projection maps that show NC avoiding hitting hospital capacity by a good margin due to the shelter in place.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:04 am
Defiant wrote:
From that article:
I’ve met older people that can be said not to act like adults.
:P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've definitely gained some weight since being shut-in. I panickly bought an elliptical machine when I realized all the gyms were closing and I'm glad I did, but I'm still moving around a lot less than usual. I'm also eating a lot more pasta, which I had more or less cut out of my diet a few years back.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm eating better overall. Dinners are mostly the same, but breakfast and lunch is at home instead of grabbing take out (or a bagel in the morning). I'm moving a lot less, though, including missing my daily walks to and from the train.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

San Francisco Muni (public transit) is going "essential routes only" by Wednesday down to only 17 routes (from 80+). They already discontinued the light rail, replacing them with buses last week.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I went out to get some supplies from the local grocery store this morning. They seem to be well-stocked, and I was limited by how much I can carry in one trip rather than by what they have on the shelves. They were fairly busy, but not crowded, and everyone seemed to be mindful of maintaining physical separation. I only saw a couple of people wearing masks, one of whom had it pulled down off her face and under her chin.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Locally I see a lot of people wearing kerchiefs now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:17 pm Locally I see a lot of people wearing kerchiefs now.
Goats don't count.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles