[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

morlac wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 pm LOL, there is no such thing as unofficial capacity when it come to HR.
I can see how you might think that, but you really don't have an understanding of the interpersonal dynamics of this office.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I see masks being sold on the streets of SF Chinatown. A buck each. Pretty sure they RETAIL for $20 in box of 100... before the Wuhan thing.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
morlac

Post by morlac »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:59 pm
morlac wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 pm LOL, there is no such thing as unofficial capacity when it come to HR.
I can see how you might think that, but you really don't have an understanding of the interpersonal dynamics of this office.
Sounds Kinky... :pop:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

morlac wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:57 pm
We've got (I think) 27 lawyers on this floor (plus 4 paralegals and 6 assistants). I am the youngest attorney here. I don't want to think too much about this floor getting kinky.
morlac

Post by morlac »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:00 pm
morlac wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:57 pm
We've got (I think) 27 lawyers on this floor (plus 4 paralegals and 6 assistants). I am the youngest attorney here......bachinkaboowoo!
I'm listening.... :pop:
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:36 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 amhile there was no coronavirus on the cruise, some of the people on my floor got together and asked him to work from home for the next two weeks.
My employer had to send out a message to everyone saying it is not appropriate to ask about travel or to randomly tell people to wear masks or not attend class based on their answers or refusal to answer. I checked, but it's still 2020 and not 1952.
This is an interesting real world dilemma. On one hand, you have potential envy and resentment. If I tell people I'm going on a cruise throughout Asia, some of those people might resent that I can do that. If some wacky thing like a pandemic was to occur during my cruise, those people might use that as a way of punishing me for enjoying life. So they complain when I get back and now I'm treated like a leopard.

On the other hand, I might actually be carrying a virus and I might actually pose a threat to their health. The chances might be one in a million, but it only takes dying one time to ruin your whole day. So I couldn't blame them for their concern.

The only reasonable solution is that everyone gets the next two weeks off as a paid vacation, so I don't feel ostracized and my co-workers don't feel endangered.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:05 pm This is an interesting real world dilemma. On one hand, you have potential envy and resentment. If I tell people I'm going on a cruise throughout Asia, some of those people might resent that I can do that. If some wacky thing like a pandemic was to occur during my cruise, those people might use that as a way of punishing me for enjoying life. So they complain when I get back and now I'm treated like a leopard.
Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:05 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:36 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 amhile there was no coronavirus on the cruise, some of the people on my floor got together and asked him to work from home for the next two weeks.
My employer had to send out a message to everyone saying it is not appropriate to ask about travel or to randomly tell people to wear masks or not attend class based on their answers or refusal to answer. I checked, but it's still 2020 and not 1952.
This is an interesting real world dilemma. On one hand, you have potential envy and resentment. If I tell people I'm going on a cruise throughout Asia, some of those people might resent that I can do that. If some wacky thing like a pandemic was to occur during my cruise, those people might use that as a way of punishing me for enjoying life. So they complain when I get back and now I'm treated like a leopard.
Let's face it, in my office the attorneys can pretty much all afford this (except for those of us who still have young kids, I suppose), and the paralegals and assistants don't have the pull to ask an attorney to stay home for two weeks (damn classist office).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NHK
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva on Monday that China has provided data on more than 44,000 confirmed cases.

He said the data show that two percent of the reported cases are fatal. That's lower than the mortality rate of about 9.6 percent for SARS
Tedros said more than 80 percent of patients infected with the new strain show only mild symptoms and will recover.

He added about 14 percent show severe symptoms such as pneumonia and shortness of breath, while about five percent have developed critical diseases including respiratory failure, septic shock and multi-organ failure.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Local news showed a local couple who took the plane ride back. They said they haven't even been tested for it and they only have their temp watched. Said they've asked to be tested and are worried because they flew back in a plane with those who did test positive for it. Said they feel like refugees too as they are guarded with patrols and not allowed out. They dont have ac in their rooms either because of risks of spreading it or something. They are kept in Texas.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:52 pm Local news showed a local couple who took the plane ride back. They said they haven't even been tested for it and they only have their temp watched. Said they've asked to be tested and are worried because they flew back in a plane with those who did test positive for it. Said they feel like refugees too as they are guarded with patrols and not allowed out. They dont have ac in their rooms either because of risks of spreading it or something. They are kept in Texas.
From what I understand, we're not really set up to properly quarantine many air passengers at all. In fact, it was only courtesy of Paul Allen's charitable endeavours that they were able to do so at all:

747s Carrying Americans Exposed To Coronavirus Used New Quarantine Box For Infected Flyers
A pair of Kalitta Air 747-400ERF freighters carrying hundreds of U.S. citizens home from Japan after weeks of being quarantined on-board the cruise ship Diamond Princess, where 454 passengers contracted the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, have arrived at two American military bases. Pictures from the operation show that at least one of the aircraft was carrying a specialized shipping container-sized bio-containment system to isolate individuals diagnosed with the virus from non-infected passengers and crew. The late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen helped develop this system after the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

It's not immediately clear if the State Department has access to more than two of these systems now. With each one only able to hold four patients, one or two of them would not have been enough to isolate all 14 of the U.S. citizens on the flights out of Japan who had tested positive for COVID-19. The CBCS may have simply been installed to provide an area to safely transport anyone who began experiencing especially severe symptoms in flight. The pictures from on-board the 747s show that the crew was wearing protective suits and it seems almost certain that other precautions were taken to prevent the spread of the virus.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:00 am
UsulofDoom wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:25 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:07 pm
UsulofDoom wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 pm Here is a good link to the John Hopkins reporting. Shows locations on a map. My closes is one case in Boston 150 miles a way.

Coronaviris Stats and map
Total Confirmed 17,491
Total Deaths 362
Total Recovered 536
BAM!
Todays Stats.

Total Confirmed 28149
Total Deaths 565
Total Recovered 1146
Hope to see bigger recovery in the next week.

I was hoping the recovered would be much more.
Still 12 in US up one
Also none in South America or Africa.
Todays Stats.

Total Confirmed 60329 big increase in two days from 45000
Total Deaths 1369
Total Recovered 5995

I was hoping the recovered would be much more.
14 in US up two

One in Boston still not recovered.
Also none in South America ,central America or Africa.

I was planning on doing some metal grinding and painting this spring , so I picked up the below while available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L ... UTF8&psc=1
Todays Stats.

Total Confirmed 75752
Total Deaths 2130
Total Recovered 16882 lot more showing recovery.

16 in US but was 29 yesterday.

One in Boston still not recovered.

Africa shows 1
Also none in South America ,central America
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Idiots here in Korea have managed to cause a ton of cases by refusing to be tested and continuing their normal lives which just happen to include lots of meanings in huge groups at their worship services.

Mostly over 200km away but possibly enough to overwhelm the local ability to respond.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did Japan simply let 2 ships full of infected simply walk away?
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

An interesting read. Certainly things have shifted a bit with South Korea and Iran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ya due to some weird church in SK theres hundreds of new cases and its spreading.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

My school has now shut down for a week due to COVID19. We'll do virtual learning through Google Hangouts, Google Classroom, and so on.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nothing official yet, but people I respect in the public health arena are starting to suggest we collectively change the message. Not to try and cause panic, but because it's fairly obvious this is bigger issue. Again, still no need to panic, but it might be time to start thinking through your planning elements, particularly if you're on medication.
Offering people a list of preparedness steps to choose among means that those who are worried and feeling helpless can better bear their worry, and those who are beyond worry and deep into denial can better face their worry.

Yet another benefit: The more people who are making preparedness efforts, the more connected to each other they feel. Pandemic preparedness should be a communitarian experience. When a colleague offers you an elbow bump instead of a handshake, your mind goes to those lists of preparedness recommendations you’ve been seeing, and you feel part of a community that’s getting ready together.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's rattling the markets today, that's for sure. And when markets get rattled, shit must have gotten real.

150 cases reported in Italy now, after 2 on Friday. Iran has 12 dead. I think seeing it spread widely outside of China and cruise ships is spooking everyone.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Wall Street taking a covid-19 beating today. Things are not looking good. A couple weeks ago, my wife and I were shaking our heads at her company’s decision to cancel a multi-million dollar event she was working on in Milan. That decision looks downright prescient today.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

11 towns on lockdown in Italy
Europe is suffering its first significant outbreak of the Covid-19 coronavirus, and markets are reeling.

The outbreak is in Italy, where the number of confirmed cases has shot up past the 200 mark—on Friday morning, there were only three. At the time of writing, five people have died from the coronavirus in the north of the country—the economic engine of Italy—all of them elderly.
[...]
Mido, the world’s largest eyewear show, was due to take place in Milan starting this weekend, but has now been postponed to late May at the earliest. Milan’s famed La Scala opera house has suspended performances. Schools are closed throughout Lombardy for a week, as are universities, museums and cinemas. High-profile soccer matches have been cancelled (sending club Juventus’s stock down by 9.6%) and churches have even cancelled Mass.

Over in Veneto, organizers of the Venice carnival cut the festivities short on Sunday—the carnival was only due to end Tuesday.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The kind of panic that is erupting in Italy is exactly what we should be working to minimize -right now- from happening here in the United States.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Also, this is just great: Russians spreading conspiracy theories that COVID-19 was manufactured in a U.S. lab:
Separately, State Department officials say that thousands of Russia-linked social media accounts are spreading disinformation about the coronavirus, including a conspiracy theory that the United States is behind the outbreak.

American monitors first identified the campaign in mid-January. Agence France-Presse reported the assessment on Saturday.

“Russia’s intent is to sow discord and undermine U.S. institutions and alliances from within, including through covert and coercive malign influence campaigns,” said Philip T. Reeker, the acting assistant secretary of state for Europe and Eurasia. “By spreading disinformation about coronavirus, Russian malign actors are once again choosing to threaten public safety by distracting from the global health response.”
God, I really hate the Russians these days.
Last edited by Kurth on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've seen four or five 'start stockpiling supplies' articles just in the past day or two, and I normally don't see anything like that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The panic is just that, panic. Death rate is less than SARS, IIRC if you can believe the numbers from China... WHO estimated SARS fatality rate at almost 15%. Right now, COVID-19 (that's the official name) is weighing in at about 3.2% inside China, and less than 1% fatality outside of China (so far).

(see official WHO daily reports here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... n-reports/ )

But it's getting pretty ridiculous. I'm seeing advertorials in Chinese newspapers touting that ginseng can boost your immune system and how hospital officials in Wuhan were recommending ginseng as part of treatment, and certain stores have plenty of supplies, no need to fear a shortage. :-P

P.S. Already several tech shows have been cancelled, that I recall. I think the telephone and mobile conference in Madrid, and some gaming related expo.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kurth wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 pm Also, this is just great: Russians spreading conspiracy theories that COVID-19 was manufactured in a U.S. lab:
Ah, the "funny" (not really) part is some Chinese believe that this is an Internal "accidental release" from a biolab in Wuhan itself.
A group of 27 prominent public health scientists from outside China is pushing back against a steady stream of stories and even a scientific paper suggesting a laboratory in Wuhan, China, may be the origin of the outbreak of COVID-19.
It just happens that there really is a Wuhan Institute of Virology, and they do have a level 4 facility that was studying bat coronavirus. (And they are not far from the meat market where it was rumored it all started...)

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02 ... oronavirus
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

With South Korea and now Italy. Still not time to panic?

So far Indonesia still no cases? Hope it'll not be like SK or Italy because with the much larger population of Indonesia, it'll be much worse than SK and Italy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's never time to panic. It's time to start paying attention (and I'm trying to decide if it is time to start taking precautions, just in case.)
morlac

Post by morlac »

People tend to unnecessarily panic not Governments. My question is if this is no big deal, less fatal than regular ole Influenza then why all the closures, quarantines, lock downs, etc. It really appears that multiple governments are in full panic mode...but why? Willing to tank your economy over something less deadly than the flu? Makes no sense to me especially if containment is pointless (which it seems to be).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There is no vaccine for COVID-19. Therefore there is no herd immunity. And no one trusts China to tell us the real numbers.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

morlac wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:01 pm People tend to unnecessarily panic not Governments. My question is if this is no big deal, less fatal than regular ole Influenza then why all the closures, quarantines, lock downs, etc. It really appears that multiple governments are in full panic mode...but why? Willing to tank your economy over something less deadly than the flu? Makes no sense to me especially if containment is pointless (which it seems to be).
It's considerably more deadly than the flu. Flu has around 0.1% mortality rate (this is a very generic number, averaged over a number of years). So far, COVID-19 has at least a 2% mortality rate
Formix

Post by Formix »

As far as preparedness goes, is it ever a bad idea to be prepared for an unforeseen problem in the supply lines? I know around here if you just say the word snow, milk and bread disappear like it's a magic trick. What's the line from MIB ? A person is smart, but people are dumb, panicky, scared animals? When I think of preparedness, I think about what the folks around me might do when they panic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Formix wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:01 pm As far as preparedness goes, is it ever a bad idea to be prepared for an unforeseen problem in the supply lines? I know around here if you just say the word snow, milk and bread disappear like it's a magic trick. What's the line from MIB ? A person is smart, but people are dumb, panicky, scared animals? When I think of preparedness, I think about what the folks around me might do when they panic.
It is when you have so little space that a week's worth of supplies for four people could only be stored in boxes in the middle of the floor. There just isn't any space for storage in my house, and laying in a week's worth of extra provisions is going to require that I take stuff I use regularly and put it into storage across town. And there's also the issue of the cost when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

It's never a bad idea, but it does come with some significant costs for some of us.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

3 or 4 kids died locally from the flu this time. I think across the US 105 kids have died. No idea on adults.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Blackhawk wrote:
Formix wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:01 pm As far as preparedness goes, is it ever a bad idea to be prepared for an unforeseen problem in the supply lines? I know around here if you just say the word snow, milk and bread disappear like it's a magic trick. What's the line from MIB ? A person is smart, but people are dumb, panicky, scared animals? When I think of preparedness, I think about what the folks around me might do when they panic.
It is when you have so little space that a week's worth of supplies for four people could only be stored in boxes in the middle of the floor. There just isn't any space for storage in my house, and laying in a week's worth of extra provisions is going to require that I take stuff I use regularly and put it into storage across town. And there's also the issue of the cost when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

It's never a bad idea, but it does come with some significant costs for some of us.
Y'all eat peanut butter anyway? Oats? Water is definitely tough. If I'm willing to eat crap and carbs I usually stock my small pantry with sustaining if not healthy foods for a week.
Ramen, PB, pasta, baking needs flour, salt, water yeast, sugar.
Speaking of I think I'm going to go ahead and get a 4th larger water jug. We got a cooler for my in-laws because they won't drink tap. But I will say having 15 gallons of drinking water on hand at all times is nice.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are a few things that are easy. Figuring things out that are cheap, non-perishable, don't take up space, and that won't result in an autistic kid starving to death are harder.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

This is fine.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh: