[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by em2nought »

Maybe buy a teardrop camper for the trip that way you can stay conveniently on property and not in a room multiple other people have been breathing in. You'll have some more room for treasure, and can sell the camper when you're done.
Stop funding for NPR
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm This post got no action in R&P, so I'm trying it here. Talk me out of it, cheer me on, give me ideas, whatever. There's this thing we need to do and don't want to do.

since you asked... it sounds like you gotta do it, and i know you know you gotta do it, so get it done, get there however you need to, but take your time to close this estate out right. should make an interesting story, i would think
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:05 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm This post got no action in R&P, so I'm trying it here. Talk me out of it, cheer me on, give me ideas, whatever. There's this thing we need to do and don't want to do.

since you asked... it sounds like you gotta do it, and i know you know you gotta do it, so get it done, get there however you need to, but take your time to close this estate out right. should make an interesting story, i would think
Thanks. I was kinda hoping to get talked out of it, but....

As far as the lawyer is concerned, the estate's closed except for the house. I filled out his last tax returns this week and am just waiting on one more bit of data before I mail those off. Meanwhile, the city rightfully revoked their homestead discount on property taxes since it's not owner-occupied, so the August tax bill is going to be a big one. We'd hoped to sell it before that, but....

I have big buts and I cannot lie.

Much will depend on what's happening with virus outbreaks in the next 6 or 8 weeks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know the area but once up there is there no way to take advantage of trains between the BIL house and your sister?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:04 amMuch will depend on what's happening with virus outbreaks in the next 6 or 8 weeks.
That's really my issue with so much planning right now. Planning 6-8 weeks in your own house, after gauging what's happening locally? Difficult but at the end of the day you can control what you're doing at home. Planning 6-8 weeks out that involves interstate travel? I don't know how. The list of variables is off the charts. The nature of travel might very well change again in July (with more states mandating voluntary travel advisories) and you could be leaving a "safe" state and going into a hot zone) as things explode nationwide.

I wish I could give you some specific, helpful advice. I'm not exactly sure what I'd do in your situation other than trying to resolve things sooner than later. So much of that is out of your control (I know) and you need to physically be there to get stuff done.

I guess I'd be staying on top of all the states we'd be traveling through and try to get a sense of what hotels are looking like along with any travel restrictions they are considering or guidance they are providing to people coming from out of state.

I can certainly keep a broad eye on things and I'll send you a PM if I hear or see something. Sorry man. :|
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Make sure your car is checked well. In the old days when we'd have to travel out of state my wife would rent a car just for that trip because she didn't trust our car at the time. Once had a nice little Mustang.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:04 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:05 am

Thanks. I was kinda hoping to get talked out of it, but....
If it makes you feel better I won't meet you for a beer at Founder's since I'm too scared to do so. Which sucks because I'm smoking weed again now so we could have done some proper hanging out.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm Our friends in Brighton would love to put us up, but that's an additional 90 minutes in the wrong direction.[/qtuote]

Brighton to Muskegon while trying to deal with all that on daily basis. No thank you. I'd do but wouldn't enjoy Brighton to Lansing. I would see that adding daily stress to an already stressful and physically demanding situation.

On the plus side, both NY and MI are in the Good States category...so far.
East Lansing, which is dominated by early 20 somethings is becoming a concern. What that means in August? :confusion-shrug:
Wife has to be on board, too, and her attitude is mostly the same as mine, except insofar as the Lansing house is concerned. I'd burn it to the ground.
Can you arrange to do the must takes and then consign everything else? Action, Yoder Bros, and Braun and Helmer used to be the big players. Maybe consult before you set a date to go and then put your battle plan together?

https://www.estatesale.com/states/viewA ... Sales.html
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm Our friends in Brighton would love to put us up, but that's an additional 90 minutes in the wrong direction.[/qtuote]

Brighton to Muskegon while trying to deal with all that on daily basis. No thank you. I'd do but wouldn't enjoy Brighton to Lansing. I would see that adding daily stress to an already stressful and physically demanding situation.

On the plus side, both NY and MI are in the Good States category...so far.
East Lansing, which is dominated by early 20 somethings is becoming a concern. What that means in August? :confusion-shrug:
Wife has to be on board, too, and her attitude is mostly the same as mine, except insofar as the Lansing house is concerned. I'd burn it to the ground.
Can you arrange to do the must takes and then consign everything else? Action, Yoder Bros, and Braun and Helmer used to be the big players. Maybe consult before you set a date to go and then put your battle plan together?

https://www.estatesale.com/states/viewA ... Sales.html
I don't think there's much of value. The tentative plan is to rent a dumpster and hire a crew to trash everything that we don't rescue. I'll mention the estate sale idea, but I think it was already considered and rejected. There's an outside chance that somebody we know will buy the house as-is and take care of the cleanout...we'd offer them a very good price for that (and for saving us realtor fees).

The Brighton drive is unappealing, but we'd be able to stay for free and avoid interacting with strangers. Probably won't do it, though, due to the distance. I'm going to keep up gentle pressure to stay in the Lansing house. I'm sure we could clear enough floor space for a couple of air mattresses. Probably won't be able to budge Wife on that point, though.

We'll surely want to go into East Lansing if it's not a raging hot spot. El Azteco and Dagwood's are always the highlights of any trip to MI, as is the Beltline Bar in GR.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A few days ago I started getting a sore throat and had some feverish dreams. So I signed up for a free screening test:

You have a NEGATIVE Covid-19 Test Result.

Woohoo, live to tell the tale!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Cross posted from the Covid thread in P&R:

Just got the news that one of the doctors at the veterinary clinic my wife works at has tested positive for Covid.
They are shutting the clinic down for two weeks.

Wife was given the option of using two weeks worth of PTO or the company (Banfield Pet Hospital) will pay for her to be tested and then, if clear, she can return to work at a different clinic until hers reopens.
She will be getting tested on Monday or possibly Tuesday so we've got about a week before knowing for sure.

This on top of my losing my job about a week and a half ago.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Oof. Sorry to hear that, Brian.

Found out yesterday that I coworker may have been exposed (she was in close contact with someone whose roommate tested positive). I interacted with her briefly on Monday, but we were both outside, wearing masks, and at least 10’ apart. So I should be ok, but if her tests comes back positive I’ll be required to quarantine and get tested as would a couple of other coworkers.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ouch, Brian. I told you to stay away from 2020, and now you're chin deep in it!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:35 pm Ouch, Brian. I told you to stay away from 2020, and now you're chin deep in it!
Phrasing seems familiar :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image

Well, not quite I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFm8Zm-ytFU
Stop funding for NPR
Brian

Post by Brian »

Been ages since I've see TGoN so I can't recall any lines similar.

Edit: Ah, well, there ya go.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Update: The wife's exposure time (close contact) to the doctor that just tested positive is in the neighborhood of 60 hours over the last two weeks.

Exposure times were a mix of masked and non-masked so we will both be getting tested on Monday.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Brian wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:03 pm This on top of my losing my job about a week and a half ago.
Welcome to the club. Too bad it's a crowded club making social distancing impossible.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Other than moving out what can you do when a spouse comes down positive?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Something that occurred to me:

Syracuse and East Lansing are both college towns, so you should definitely look into AirBnB rather than hotels. There are bound to be faculty members away for research or just off-term vacations.

An AirBnB is more likely to be a bed/bath/kitchen that hasn't been slept in for days or weeks rather than a hotel that turns rooms over every morning. This seems safer from a Covid perspective.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm Other than moving out what can you do when a spouse comes down positive?
Isolate. Assuming the home is large enough (with enough distinct rooms).
Sterilize. Door handles, bathrooms, places where both parties might come into contact.
Use masks. Limit exposure times.

There may be more. I think MHS and TheMeal may have hands-on experience/advice.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MHS

Post by MHS »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:34 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm Other than moving out what can you do when a spouse comes down positive?
Sterilize. Door handles, bathrooms, places where both parties might come into contact.

Neither of us were tested positive, but we did work toward isolating me for two weeks after I was hospitalized for 5 days in late May/early June because of an antibiotic-resistant kidney infection. Being in the hospital during a pandemic was super eerie and I definitely didn't want to risk bringing anything home and passing it along.

I stayed in the guest bedroom with attached guest bathroom and Meal didn't come into those rooms. We were fortunate enough to have a group of friends do a meal train where they individually packaged servings of food in disposable containers for almost the whole two weeks, because we didn't want to have to have me using kitchen space or dishes. So Neal would microwave things and I'd go down and get them, Clorox wipe anything I touched along the way, and then go back to my room. He did have to be in limited contact with me once a day to administer my IV drugs because the picc line was in my right arm and I'm right handed so I couldn't do it myself, but we masked and gloved up for that. I cleaned everything in those rooms thoroughly once the two weeks was up. It was tough but doable, but would have been MUCH tougher without the prepped food. We had discussed moving a dorm fridge into the guest bedroom and stocking it with meal shakes and other disposable foods, which would have probably worked ok.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:46 pm
Something that occurred to me:

Syracuse and East Lansing are both college towns, so you should definitely look into AirBnB rather than hotels. There are bound to be faculty members away for research or just off-term vacations.

An AirBnB is more likely to be a bed/bath/kitchen that hasn't been slept in for days or weeks rather than a hotel that turns rooms over every morning. This seems safer from a Covid perspective.
Toward the end of the Before Time, AirBnB became our first choice thanks to a couple of good experiences. It will surely be on the table. East Lansing is MI's hot spot right now, but I hope they'll get past it.

Talk about this trip got tabled when Warren was diagnosed, though. We can't leave him, and we don't know how much longer he has. We will have a better idea about that in a couple of weeks.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Weather permitting, open windows and air circulation so the virus load doesn't just ever increasingly build up in the sick person's room.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My friend basically lived in his basement. His wife would leave food for him and text him that it was there, and he would come up and get it. It seems to have worked (or the rest of his family was asymptomatic).

I don't know what we'd do in our house. We don't really have a good place to isolate anyone.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hear the basement is nice this time of year. Bring the shower shoes and snorkel.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:59 pm
My friend basically lived in his basement. His wife would leave food for him and text him that it was there, and he would come up and get it. It seems to have worked (or the rest of his family was asymptomatic).

I don't know what we'd do in our house. We don't really have a good place to isolate anyone.
A couple of times my wife suggested I setup a tent in the yard for her, but she'd need to traipse through the house to get to the shower and there is almost no chance the kids would stay away. But I suppose it could work for some.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Makes me wonder about my home. We could technically manage a quarantine by sticking someone in the living room downstairs and setting up a schedule of showers/food where they didn't interact with anyone. Lots of shared surfaces, though, from the bathroom to the kitchen. It'd take lots of regular cleaning.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If any of us get sick, we're all sick. There just isn't room for isolation here, at least not meaningful isolation.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is it just me or is a byproduct of most work being WFH eating grilled cheese and lunchmeat sandwiches like I'm 12? All I need is for them to be 1/2 sandwiches and have cup of cream of mushroom soup to go with it and the transformation would be complete.
Brian

Post by Brian »

We weren't able to schedule our tests until Wednesday so we should have news by the end of the week, hopefully.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had to go to a couple stores today. 1 in 50 had a mask. I was one. Seemed to be elderly that had them. No one else.

EDIT: I take that back...the Tractor Supply employees all wore masks.
MHS

Post by MHS »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am Is it just me or is a byproduct of most work being WFH eating grilled cheese and lunchmeat sandwiches like I'm 12? All I need is for them to be 1/2 sandwiches and have cup of cream of mushroom soup to go with it and the transformation would be complete.
I sent a picture to a coworker not too long ago of the homemade mac and cheese and chocolate chip cookies we were having for lunch and said I was reverting back to age 12. So it's not just you. But sometimes I find you to be an uncomfortably similar male version of me, minus the differences in our grammar, spelling, and punctuation. :P
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MHS wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:45 pm I sent a picture to a coworker not too long ago of the homemade mac and cheese and chocolate chip cookies we were having for lunch and said I was reverting back to age 12. So it's not just you. But sometimes I find you to be an uncomfortably similar male version of me, minus the differences in our grammar, spelling, and punctuation. :P
LOL, I've been actively working on not doing the sorts of things that would see me eating a Mac and Cheese chocochip cookie sandwich (which sounds strangely compelling). It's hard to walk past the snack aisle but I'm finding I absolutely have to when I am sitting at home alone 4-6 days a week and my at work time still seeing me isolated to my one Milton room.

Man, now I really want to try a mac and cheese and chocolate chip cookie. I want to know what sugar and savory and chocolate and cheese melt taste like.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been eating almost nothing. I eat one main thing around this time of night then a snack late. During the day I graze though which sucks. Today Ill have a chili dog. Tonight maybe a toasted cheese bread slice. Ive been buying canned veggies and things that are 30-40 calories per serving with 3.5 servings per can. Sometimes I eat the entire can like green bean and have about 100 cal in me. Ive done this for nearly a week and a half. Sometimes I feel like Im weak or starving but I usually press through. Sometimes I fail and eat more. But today when I put my pants on and they were more loose I smiled. I feel better overall.
MHS

Post by MHS »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:56 pm
MHS wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:45 pm I sent a picture to a coworker not too long ago of the homemade mac and cheese and chocolate chip cookies we were having for lunch and said I was reverting back to age 12. So it's not just you. But sometimes I find you to be an uncomfortably similar male version of me, minus the differences in our grammar, spelling, and punctuation. :P
LOL, I've been actively working on not doing the sorts of things that would see me eating a Mac and Cheese chocochip cookie sandwich (which sounds strangely compelling). It's hard to walk past the snack aisle but I'm finding I absolutely have to when I am sitting at home alone 4-6 days a week and my at work time still seeing me isolated to my one Milton room.

Man, now I really want to try a mac and cheese and chocolate chip cookie. I want to know what sugar and savory and chocolate and cheese melt taste like.
And then there's the other times, when I am reminded that we are very, very different people.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its dbt and kraken that are merging into the same person.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I get the top part!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Why aren't governments mailing out free masks and distributing them in public buildings? I mean, other than how wasteful that would practically be. But... if the science is sound, it's still far too hard to acquire quality masks. You'd think they'd be sold in the corner of every market and convenience store by this point. Some people won't wear them no matter what, but the rest need to be hit over the head with them.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 pm Why aren't governments mailing out free masks and distributing them in public buildings? I mean, other than how wasteful that would practically be. But... if the science is sound, it's still far too hard to acquire quality masks. You'd think they'd be sold in the corner of every market and convenience store by this point. Some people won't wear them no matter what, but the rest need to be hit over the head with them.
WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM??
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Sudy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 pm Why aren't governments mailing out free masks and distributing them in public buildings? I mean, other than how wasteful that would practically be. But... if the science is sound, it's still far too hard to acquire quality masks. You'd think they'd be sold in the corner of every market and convenience store by this point. Some people won't wear them no matter what, but the rest need to be hit over the head with them.
I'm not even sure what a quality mask is? More than a surgical mask? I thought we were supposed to leave the quality masks for the professionals otherwise they wouldn't have enough?
Stop funding for NPR