[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Sudy »

The videos I saw of the procedure made it look like a human blockhead act. "Oh, so that's how the ancient Egyptians extracted the brain for burial."

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My favorite local bar shut down last summer for business reasons. After some drama and passing of money it ultimately reopened under new ownership after the summer had gone, but exactly as it had been. Because it's a beer bar, Wife only likes it for its patio, so we never go during the winter. Point being that I didn't get to go there last year.

Thanks to coronavirus, it only recently reopened for outdoor dining, and it was mobbed most nights, so we didn't go. I finally decided tonight that it wouldn't be busy on the Monday after a holiday weekend. Even if the usual after-work crowd was there, indoor dining just opened, and the regulars like to sit inside and watch sportsball. So we went, after agreeing that we'd turn right around if there was any kind of party atmosphere going on.

The place was indeed deserted. We got a very pleasant outdoor table (they have a quiet woodsy patio) with nobody else around. The server wore a mask and interacted as minimally as he could. An old friend stopped by and visited from 6' away. I had my first proper draft pint since March. And my second, and third...like I said, it's a beer bar. There were 10 different IPAs I'd have liked to try.

It was totally worth making a saving throw vs. disease. Will go again.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:05 am I am having questions about the effiectiveness of the covid 19 test as administered by the ZoomCare clinic I went to tonight (one of those 'urgent care' kinda setups). i was brought into the exam room and handed what looked like a normal double-ended cotton swab (the kind that you [don't] clean your ears with) and was told I would be 'self-administering' the collection. at no point was I told to sanitize my hands for this procedure. i was told to insert the swab about an inch into each nostril and swirl it two or three times. i stuck it up my nose about that much and asked if that really was far enough (i have had nasal subsection surgery twice and the upper inside of my left nostril is very raw and sensitive to this day) and i was assured it was.

my question is, is this really effective? if so, why were the procurement of the longer (six inch) swabs such a big deal in the early days of the covid 19 pandemic? it was mentioned in many news outlets that normal sized cotton swabs would _not_ work.
Per FDA guidelines, this method is "acceptable" - but for symptomatic patients only. I believe the current theory still holds that for someone who's asymptomatic or presymptomatic, there may not be enough concentration of the virus in the nasal cavity to register on the PCR.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It was the method used in the drive-up testing I had a month ago. It was self-swabbing too...the national guard people tending to the cars only wanted the windows down an inch or so.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Was out in the field with a coworker who had Covid about a month and a half ago. He was really not very good at following the field protocols (e.g. stay 6'+ feet away, if closer wear masks, don't handle the same equipment, etc.). Hopefully a month a half is a long enough time for any virus particles he has/had to be gone/inert. :|
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We're off on a new adventure!

The kids came down with Covid (aka every cold you've ever seen) like symptoms. Sore throat, runny nose. Very low fever in one kid, none in the other. No coughing. Took them to the doctor, they tested negative for strep. That's a bad thing, because it means whole family now has to self-isolate for 10 days. No testing available for the younger kid. Oldest will be tested Friday.

It's not a big deal for me as I work from home anyway, but my wife is now having to try to figure out how she's going to manage it. She works for a school and most of the records and things she works with are not electronic and cannot be taken off campus. Ugh.

The good news is that other than some restless nights, the kids are shrugging it off. They've been laughing, playing, running around. So I'm not overly concerned just yet. Hopefully Friday's test will give us some peace of mind.

Update on dad: 10+ days since positive test, still no symptoms. So he was either a false positive or asymptomatic. He'll be tested again before his surgery next month, but so far so good.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Good luck! Hopefully it's just typical kid illness.

What's the protocol with their daycare? Have you notified them? Do they have to do any extra monitoring or deep cleaning?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

ImLawBoy wrote:What's the protocol with their daycare? Have you notified them? Do they have to do any extra monitoring or deep cleaning?
Kids are just not allowed if they have any symptoms of anything whatsoever. They were notified Monday that the kids have symptoms since we kept them home. I'm not sure if they take any extra measures, as they already do a lot of deep cleaning, etc. Parents are not allowed in the daycare at all these days - it's a drop off at the door with temp check. Obviously if the oldest tests positive we'll let them know immediately.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Good luck with everything YK!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap - just trying to catch up on this thread; I've been focused mainly on the COVID one in R&P. Sorry to hear about your family stuff YK. I have a friend in GA that is currently experiencing something similar with his kids. They sent them to summer camp and within a week the kids had mild symptoms of COVID-like illness but my friend and his wife are much sicker. They were tested, but I haven't heard the results. I strongly suspect that kids are probably spreading other things that haven't been circulating because of the closure of schools and daycare, but now that contact has resumed, more common viral diseases are spreading again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I strongly suspect that kids are probably spreading other things that haven't been circulating because of the closure of schools and daycare, but now that contact has resumed, more common viral diseases are spreading again.
I hate you. You don't need to feed my aversion to parents of young children at every turn. You're supposed to come here and tell YK I'm overly paranoid and herd immunity good or some such thing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:47 pmI hate you. You don't need to feed my aversion to parents of young children at every turn. You're supposed to come here and tell YK I'm overly paranoid and herd immunity good or some such thing.
The human body is just a way for a virus to make more viruses. Maybe we exist for them?

/bong hit
Maybe next year, maybe no go
MHS

Post by MHS »

The hard part is getting a cold and realizing that despite all your precautions, if you can catch a cold, it could just as easily have been COVID.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:21 pm The wife and I got our tests done today.
It was...unpleasant...but not particularly painful or anything.

For the test they basically rammed a swab so far up my nose that I saw stars. Wife was phased more than I was and said she'd prefer never having to do that again.

We should have our results by Friday.

Still no results as of this morning.
Assuming that, even though we got tested on Wednesday, the lab didn't get our samples until Thursday morning, and then allowing them the 3-5 business days (we were only told 3-5 days but we'll assume business days), we should get our results no later than tomorrow afternoon.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:51 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:47 pmI hate you. You don't need to feed my aversion to parents of young children at every turn. You're supposed to come here and tell YK I'm overly paranoid and herd immunity good or some such thing.
The human body is just a way for a virus to make more viruses. Maybe we exist for them?

/bong hit
I for one welcome our new viral overlords.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

MHS wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pmThe hard part is getting a cold and realizing that despite all your precautions, if you can catch a cold, it could just as easily have been COVID.
/shiver
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Word came down officially, we are remote work for the remainder of 2020. Not that we are going back in on 1/4/2021, just that a labor day return to the office is an emphatic no and the yes date is TBD.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MHS wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pm The hard part is getting a cold and realizing that despite all your precautions, if you can catch a cold, it could just as easily have been COVID.
Stop!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

MHS wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pm The hard part is getting a cold and realizing that despite all your precautions, if you can catch a cold, it could just as easily have been COVID.
Or maybe more easilier.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Has anyone verified if it's possible to have a cold and COVID-19 at the same time? Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:26 pm
Has anyone verified if it's possible to have a cold and COVID-19 at the same time? Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?
How would you ever know? Many symptoms overlap, and it's not like you can test for a cold.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hamilton county as of Friday will be full masks in public law. But they described gyms as you wear it inside and stuff but once you start lifting weights or exercising you can take it off. What flipping good is a mask law if thats the way it works?? You'd thing all that heavy breathing and stuff is the time you should wear the darn thing.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:10 pm once you start lifting weights or exorcising you can take it off.
Those must be some hellish gyms!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Priests only
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

went through the 'return to work' materials today - sounds like being in the office would be a real pain (e.g. only one working microwave and refrigerator, and they're on on a different floor) and given the choice, i'll keep working at home
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:07 am went through the 'return to work' materials today - sounds like being in the office would be a real pain (e.g. only one working microwave and refrigerator, and they're on on a different floor) and given the choice, i'll keep working at home
We've done the opposite, we put in a 2nd mircrowave even though almost no one is in office. No more than a total of six people can be in the kitchen and that capacity is reached if only if one person is starting prep, one is finishing prep, one actively prepping, and three are at their own table. People were discouraged from eating at their desks before. Now they are encouraged. I've never been in to work where we've had more than 7 people in at a time. We have a lot of rules now that are what they are and I like most of them, as I am high risk and paranoid, but I hate touch-less sinks.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 pm

For the test they basically rammed a swab so far up my nose that I saw stars. Wife was phased more than I was and said she'd prefer never having to do that again.

Assuming that, even though we got tested on Wednesday, the lab didn't get our samples until Thursday morning, and then allowing them the 3-5 business days (we were only told 3-5 days but we'll assume business days), we should get our results no later than tomorrow afternoon.
So the lab texted our results at 10:30pm. Negative.

Seriously though, ten freakin' thirty? I mean, thanks for the results and all but, WTF?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Brian wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:24 am

Seriously though, ten freakin' thirty? I mean, thanks for the results and all but, WTF?
Probably chugging 24 hours a day. I'm sure someone out there is going 3:00am? Really? WTF? :D
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gilraen wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:30 pm
How would you ever know? Many symptoms overlap, and it's not like you can test for a cold.
It's been COVID the whole time?!??!!!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:58 am
It's been COVID the whole time?!??!!!
The 'Rona is calling from inside the house!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Indeed, and (non-novel) human coronaviruses are known to be associated with the common cold:
Wikipedia.org wrote:Cause - Viruses

Enlarge Image
Coronaviruses are a group of viruses known for causing the common cold. They have a halo or crown-like (corona) appearance when viewed under an electron microscope.

The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes. Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%), influenza viruses (10–15%), adenoviruses (5%), human respiratory syncytial virus (orthopneumovirus), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus. Frequently more than one virus is present. In total, more than 200 viral types are associated with colds.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

5 additional Hand Sanitizers to avoid per the FDA
https://www.yahoo.com/news/avoid-9-hand ... 01521.html
Grupo Insoma's Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented, 70% alcohol)

Transliquid Technologies' Mystic Shield Protection Hand Sanitizer

Soluciones Cosmeticas' Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free and Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution Hand Sanitizer

Tropicosmeticos' Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70%
two months
stessier

Post by stessier »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:16 am 5 additional Hand Sanitizers to avoid per the FDA
https://www.yahoo.com/news/avoid-9-hand ... 01521.html
Grupo Insoma's Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented, 70% alcohol)

Transliquid Technologies' Mystic Shield Protection Hand Sanitizer

Soluciones Cosmeticas' Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free and Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution Hand Sanitizer

Tropicosmeticos' Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70%
It should be mentioned that these should be avoided because the contain methanol instead of ethanol. Those aren't interchangeable at all.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My idiot cousin and her equally idiotic husband decided to head to Florida this past weekend to visit friends. They also left their dog with my 84 year old father while gone. If they expect to come back from one of the hottest infectious zones on Earth right now and just waltz into my father's place to get their dog when they get back to Ohio this coming weekend, I will personally drive back to Ohio, hunt them down and then...well...administer a severe tongue lashing. Although I'd rather just beat them about the head and shoulders. :x

The worst part? Her husband is a paramedic. He should KNOW better...but obviously he's a very shitty paramedic.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The 2020 Ryder Cup is the latest big casualty of Covid-19, as it has been postponed to 2021.
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Brian wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:24 am

Mine game in 26 minutes ahead of yours. Your sister's came in at 5:40pm. (I was tested 4 minutes ahead of her, but our results were revealed almost 4.5 hours apart.) I'm guessing the labs are pretty heavily utilized.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ivy League just cancelled all fall sports.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:42 pm Ivy League just cancelled all fall sports.
They are just acting like they are smarter than the rest of the leagues.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
The Environmental Protection Agency has approved two Lysol Disinfectant Sprays that can effectively kill SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) in just two minutes, the government agency announced Monday.

Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist are the first two disinfectants to be approved for their ability to kill the virus. In May, the CDC recommended that people clean homes with common EPA-registered household disinfectants, which were expected to kill SARS-CoV-2, “harder to kill” viruses and other types of coronaviruses. However, the EPA’s new announcement names two products that are specifically effective against SARS-CoV-2.

“These products are distinct because of how they’ve been tested,” an EPA spokesperson tells Yahoo Life. “As SARS-CoV-2 is a new virus, it has only recently become available for laboratory testing. These two products are the first for which EPA has completed its review of laboratory testing data confirming that the products are effective against SARS-CoV-2 when used according to the label directions.” The spokesperson adds that users should allow the substance to remain wet on surfaces for two minutes before wiping clean.

RB - London Stock Exchange
It's almost as if people are the problem.