Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Post Reply
User avatar
dbt1949
Posts: 22265
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:34 am
Location: Hogeye Arkansas

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by dbt1949 »

Bandholz
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7799
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had a ducktail (woo hoo) but i removed it last week
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 50282
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

I dont see what I had in 2008. It was a goatee but then I had short mutton chops that weren't really mutton chops. They came down to a point a razors width from my goatee.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 12932
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:04 pmBandholz
Same.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 37497
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:51 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:04 pmBandholz
Same.
Winter Bandholz (or Neckbeard, as I say) and summer Full Beard.
User avatar
mori
Posts: 4466
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:53 pm
Location: Edge of Darkness

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by mori »

I see MN locking down again after the election. I suspect WI would have already if it not been for the election.
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 37497
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Kraken »

MA is making noise about shutting down indoor dining, just as it's gotten too cold for outdoor. We're not one of the Holy Shit states yet, but we're definitely an Uh-Oh state.
User avatar
Paingod
Posts: 12500
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Paingod »

The COVID hit close over the weekend.

Where I work we all got notices on Sunday saying someone in the clinic downstairs tested positive for COVID. They didn't say if it was an employee or a patient, just that it happened and anyone who was potentially exposed has been asked to quarantine for 14 days. The office is closed today, but re-opening tomorrow.

I wasn't notified that I may have been exposed, but I did spend time down there last week doing odds and ends (away from patients). It made my wife a little nervous to hear that it hit so close. With Maine's case counts climbing, she's considering yanking the kids from going to school two days a week and putting them on 100% homeschool programs.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
User avatar
Sudy
Posts: 5748
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:11 am
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Sudy »

The Canadian federal government is now recommending tri-layer masks, or inserting a filter into dual-layer masks. I'm going to go broke buying masks. You'd think by now there'd be some kind of certification process in the works. I get that science takes time, and creating regulations can take even longer. But there's still so much confusion on this subject.

I continue to be annoyed by the rampant use of "Canada's/Ontario's/Toronto's etc. top doctor" by the media. It sounds like a frigging reality show. Just call them what they are. "Canada's chief public health officer", etc. This isn't a tweet. You're only saving two words. There are other ways to shorten it.
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”
User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 26913
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by YellowKing »

Paingod wrote:The COVID hit close over the weekend.
COVID hitting close has been a nearly weekly occurrence for me.

My son's school has had at least 3 cases, and my daughter's school just reported a case. Since my wife and kids are at school daily, I figure it's only a matter of time (if they haven't caught it already and were asymptomatic).
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 50282
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

The Canadian federal government is now recommending tri-layer masks,
Ahh the old recommended but not enforced approach. Im sure this virus thing will clear up in no time. Just like in the US.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7799
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by hitbyambulance »

Cognitive impairments were found in 81% of inpatient rehabilitation patients (mean age 65 years) who were recovering from severe COVID-19:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20221887v1
User avatar
Paingod
Posts: 12500
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Paingod »

Our clinic downstairs was just designated an "Outbreak" spot as our third employee tested positive. I passed through there a few times last week without lingering to chat with anyone for very long. Crossing my fingers and hoping that means I'm in a low risk category. My managers (including two doctors) haven't seemed concerned with my interactions with anyone when I gave them a timeline of who I talked with, how long, or where I went.

There's a bit of COVID panic rippling through other staff at other sites, though. Only two of us (me and the Director of Operations) regularly move between sites, and the Director spends a LOT more time than I do at each one and in more personal contact with staff. She's getting tested, results pending. If she comes back positive, that means she may have carried it to our Corporate office where no one's been wearing masks as we all sit 15 feet apart (and I have my own office).

I do 98% of my job from my desk, only hitting the floors when I can't handle something via remote tools. Even if someone sits 20' away from me, I remote into their computer now.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 68795
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Everything is bigger in Texas.

Reuters
Texas became the first state to surpass a million coronavirus cases in the United States on Saturday, as the country battled a third wave of new infections and recorded over 100,000 infections three times in less than a week.

Texas became the first state to surpass a million coronavirus cases in the United States on Saturday, as the country battled a third wave of new infections and recorded over 100,000 infections three times in less than a week.

If Texas were a country, it would be the tenth most affected in the world for total COVID-19 cases. The state added about 8,000 new cases a day in the past week on average, based on a Reuters tally.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by AWS260 »

The test positivity rate in NYC is up to 2.3%. If it reaches 3%, the schools go all-remote again.

I really hope we don't have to do that. I'm pretty sure that two days of in-person school each week is playing an important role in keep my son (and his parents) sane.
User avatar
stessier
Posts: 26650
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by stessier »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:59 am The test positivity rate in NYC is up to 2.3%. If it reaches 3%, the schools go all-remote again.

I really hope we don't have to do that. I'm pretty sure that two days of in-person school each week is playing an important role in keep my son (and his parents) sane.
:D My county (in South Carolina) is at 13.5% for a two week average and they are finalizing plans to bring all middle schoolers back after having brought back the lower grades over the last 4 weeks. The lowest we ever got was high 9% range. The rest of the country won't have to deal with the South for much longer at this rate.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
User avatar
Anonymous Bosch
Posts: 8738
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Northern California [originally from the UK]

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:59 am The test positivity rate in NYC is up to 2.3%. If it reaches 3%, the schools go all-remote again.

I really hope we don't have to do that. I'm pretty sure that two days of in-person school each week is playing an important role in keep my son (and his parents) sane.
It ought to tell you something when even nations like France -- where far stricter lockdown measures are in place than any in the US -- specifically are not closing schools and preventing children from being educated:
Euronews.com wrote:What are key takeaways from France's new lockdown?
  • The new lockdown runs from first thing on Friday until December 1, nationwide.
  • Social gatherings are completely banned.
  • Residents in France will be required to fill out a form if they go outside their homes.
  • The only acceptable justification for going outside their domiciles will be for essential work purposes, medical appointments, to help vulnerable individuals, exercise for one hour within a 1km radius of their homes and to do grocery shopping.
  • People must work remotely wherever possible.
  • Non-essential businesses, including restaurants and bars, will close, as well as cultural or entertainment spaces like cinemas, theatres, libraries and theme parks.
  • DIY shops will remain open for everyone.
  • Work must be carried out remotely wherever possible.
  • University classes will mostly be carried out online.
  • Schools and creches, as well as factories, farms and construction sites, will remain open.
  • Travel between regions is banned.
  • France's international borders will remain mostly closed and mandatory, rapid COVID-19 tests will be given to arrivals.
  • EU borders will stay open and French citizens can come back into the country.
  • Visits to care homes will be permitted.
  • Funerals and weddings will be allowed to go ahead with limits on the number of people who can attend.
  • Most public services will stay open, as will banks and post offices.
  • The new restrictions will be reassessed every two weeks.
  • Masks will be mandatory for anyone over the age of six.
  • Parks and beaches will remain open.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7799
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by hitbyambulance »

Euronews.com wrote:What are key takeaways from France's new lockdown?
  • DIY shops will remain open for everyone.
"DIY shops"?

EDIT: ahhh, hardware stores
Jeff V
Posts: 33559
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Jeff V »

We're getting daily notices of positive cases as my son's school for the past couple of weeks. The crossing guard (who I had twice daily contact) is out sick, but has not reported she has Covid. I noticed this morning that they usual crowds of kids and parents were absent...even the drop off line seemed light.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 12932
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:40 pm It ought to tell you something when even nations like France -- where far stricter lockdown measures are in place than any in the US -- specifically are not closing schools and preventing children from being educated:
Does it tell you that countries with far stricter lockdown measures are able to minimize risk enough that they can keep schools open? So we should implement far stricter lockdown measures in line with what France has implemented so that we can send our kids to school?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 30725
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:40 pmIt ought to tell you something when even nations like France -- where far stricter lockdown measures are in place than any in the US -- specifically are not closing schools and preventing children from being educated:
You list the divergent factor right there.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Anonymous Bosch
Posts: 8738
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Northern California [originally from the UK]

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:28 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:40 pm It ought to tell you something when even nations like France -- where far stricter lockdown measures are in place than any in the US -- specifically are not closing schools and preventing children from being educated:
Does it tell you that countries with far stricter lockdown measures are able to minimize risk enough that they can keep schools open? So we should implement far stricter lockdown measures in line with what France has implemented so that we can send our kids to school?
I think it suggests an approach more akin to The Great Barrington Declaration, authored by several of the most learned infectious disease epidemiologists and signed by literally tens of thousands of medical practitioners and medical & public health scientists, is worthy of consideration.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 12932
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:38 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:28 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:40 pm It ought to tell you something when even nations like France -- where far stricter lockdown measures are in place than any in the US -- specifically are not closing schools and preventing children from being educated:
Does it tell you that countries with far stricter lockdown measures are able to minimize risk enough that they can keep schools open? So we should implement far stricter lockdown measures in line with what France has implemented so that we can send our kids to school?
I think it suggests an approach more akin to The Great Barrington Declaration, authored by several of the most learned infectious disease epidemiologists and signed by literally tens of thousands of medical practitioners and medical & public health scientists, is worthy of consideration.
That was already pretty thoroughly debunked in R&P. It's not worth revisiting from my perspective.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12453
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by $iljanus »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:40 pm It ought to tell you something when even nations like France -- where far stricter lockdown measures are in place than any in the US -- specifically are not closing schools and preventing children from being educated:
Does it tell you that countries with far stricter lockdown measures are able to minimize risk enough that they can keep schools open? So we should implement far stricter lockdown measures in line with what France has implemented so that we can send our kids to school?
And more effective testing and contact tracing protocols.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7799
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:38 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:28 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:40 pm It ought to tell you something when even nations like France -- where far stricter lockdown measures are in place than any in the US -- specifically are not closing schools and preventing children from being educated:
Does it tell you that countries with far stricter lockdown measures are able to minimize risk enough that they can keep schools open? So we should implement far stricter lockdown measures in line with what France has implemented so that we can send our kids to school?
I think it suggests an approach more akin to The Great Barrington Declaration, authored by several of the most learned infectious disease epidemiologists and signed by literally tens of thousands of medical practitioners and medical & public health scientists, is worthy of consideration.
that you're attempting to march this Koch Bros scheme out again - despite all the context raised as to why this is a bad idea here - isn't fooling anyone
User avatar
Anonymous Bosch
Posts: 8738
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Northern California [originally from the UK]

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:57 pm that you're attempting to march this Koch Bros scheme out again - despite all the context raised as to why this is a bad idea here - isn't fooling anyone
Perhaps, but I'm not trying to fool anyone here. There's no denying closing schools carries significant negative impacts and risks, particularly for the underprivileged likely to be the most disproportionately harmed and set back. And it's not as if closing schools is a panacea for preventing the spread of COVID-19 anyway. Other scientific reports back this up, like this report from researchers at Edinburgh University. In terms of the effect of school closures on mortality from COVID-19, the counter-intuitive outcome of their model suggests that "school closures and isolation of younger people would increase the total number of deaths, albeit postponed to a second and subsequent waves."
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 30725
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

Indiana continues to remain fully open while the cases skyrocket, and estimates say that we'll run out of ICU beds in six weeks. The governor continues to insist that he won't be shutting us down again, or even dialing things back, while at the same time the conservative legislature is trying to reduce his power because they say he has done too much.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
dbt1949
Posts: 22265
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:34 am
Location: Hogeye Arkansas

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by dbt1949 »

Arkansas and Oklahoma continue having record number of infections.
Trump supporters all.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
User avatar
disarm
Posts: 4223
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Hartford, CT
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by disarm »

Blackhawk wrote:Indiana continues to remain fully open while the cases skyrocket, and estimates say that we'll run out of ICU beds in six weeks. The governor continues to insist that he won't be shutting us down again, or even dialing things back, while at the same time the conservative legislature is trying to reduce his power because they say he has done too much.
Businesses may not be shutting down, but at least some school systems in the state are now. My sister teaches in Tippecanoe county, and they went online Monday. A friend in Elkhart county has started complaining that his kids are home now too. Unfortunately, evidence seems to suggest that schools aren't a big source of the problem, so it might not make much difference if everything else is open...
*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing - The Witcher 3
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 30725
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

disarm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:32 pm
Blackhawk wrote:Indiana continues to remain fully open while the cases skyrocket, and estimates say that we'll run out of ICU beds in six weeks. The governor continues to insist that he won't be shutting us down again, or even dialing things back, while at the same time the conservative legislature is trying to reduce his power because they say he has done too much.
Businesses may not be shutting down, but at least some school systems in the state are now. My sister teaches in Tippecanoe county, and they went online Monday. A friend in Elkhart county has started complaining that his kids are home now too. Unfortunately, evidence seems to suggest that schools aren't a big source of the problem, so it might not make much difference if everything else is open...
As far as state policy goes, five counties can be in-person, nine must be online-only, and the rest are hybrid. It's redetermined weekly on Wednesday, statewide. Of course, counties are free to do more, they just can't do less.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 50282
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

As crappy as they actually teach kids in public schools they should just auto pass them and let them out a year until COVID is better. No one would even notice the leaning difference. Schools have gone downhill and teach so little and such easy stuff now so kids can pass and the school can claim they did great with scores Im surprised they haven't tried that already. Kids pass and dont know a thing in some cases.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 12932
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:18 pm As crappy as they actually teach kids in public schools they should just auto pass them and let them out a year until COVID is better. No one would even notice the leaning difference. Schools have gone downhill and teach so little and such easy stuff now so kids can pass and the school can claim they did great with scores Im surprised they haven't tried that already. Kids pass and dont know a thing in some cases.
What's your source on any of this?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 30725
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:18 pm As crappy as they actually teach kids in public schools they should just auto pass them and let them out a year until COVID is better. No one would even notice the leaning difference. Schools have gone downhill and teach so little and such easy stuff now so kids can pass and the school can claim they did great with scores Im surprised they haven't tried that already. Kids pass and dont know a thing in some cases.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this would not work. The curriculum, more than when we were kids, is sequential. They teach one thing, then the next thing builds off of it. You're suggesting just skipping learning item #5 on the list, which would make #6-whatever impossible to teach.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
stessier
Posts: 26650
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:18 pm As crappy as they actually teach kids in public schools they should just auto pass them and let them out a year until COVID is better. No one would even notice the leaning difference. Schools have gone downhill and teach so little and such easy stuff now so kids can pass and the school can claim they did great with scores Im surprised they haven't tried that already. Kids pass and dont know a thing in some cases.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this would not work. The curriculum, more than when we were kids, is sequential. They teach one thing, then the next thing builds off of it. You're suggesting just skipping learning item #5 on the list, which would make #6-whatever impossible to teach.
Yeppers.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 37497
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:18 pm As crappy as they actually teach kids in public schools they should just auto pass them and let them out a year until COVID is better. No one would even notice the leaning difference. Schools have gone downhill and teach so little and such easy stuff now so kids can pass and the school can claim they did great with scores Im surprised they haven't tried that already. Kids pass and dont know a thing in some cases.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this would not work. The curriculum, more than when we were kids, is sequential. They teach one thing, then the next thing builds off of it. You're suggesting just skipping learning item #5 on the list, which would make #6-whatever impossible to teach.
Yeppers.
I've also read that some of the youngest ones are backsliding -- kids that were house trained are back in diapers, for example, and their language skills have stalled or deteriorated. They need socialization with peers at least as much as instruction.
User avatar
stessier
Posts: 26650
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:18 pm As crappy as they actually teach kids in public schools they should just auto pass them and let them out a year until COVID is better. No one would even notice the leaning difference. Schools have gone downhill and teach so little and such easy stuff now so kids can pass and the school can claim they did great with scores Im surprised they haven't tried that already. Kids pass and dont know a thing in some cases.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this would not work. The curriculum, more than when we were kids, is sequential. They teach one thing, then the next thing builds off of it. You're suggesting just skipping learning item #5 on the list, which would make #6-whatever impossible to teach.
Yeppers.
I've also read that some of the youngest ones are backsliding -- kids that were house trained are back in diapers, for example, and their language skills have stalled or deteriorated. They need socialization with peers at least as much as instruction.
Hey, I wear the diapers as a choice for efficiency. I don't see any reason to demean that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 50282
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:36 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:18 pm As crappy as they actually teach kids in public schools they should just auto pass them and let them out a year until COVID is better. No one would even notice the leaning difference. Schools have gone downhill and teach so little and such easy stuff now so kids can pass and the school can claim they did great with scores Im surprised they haven't tried that already. Kids pass and dont know a thing in some cases.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this would not work. The curriculum, more than when we were kids, is sequential. They teach one thing, then the next thing builds off of it. You're suggesting just skipping learning item #5 on the list, which would make #6-whatever impossible to teach.
Yeppers.
I've also read that some of the youngest ones are backsliding -- kids that were house trained are back in diapers, for example, and their language skills have stalled or deteriorated. They need socialization with peers at least as much as instruction.
Hey, I wear the diapers as a choice for efficiency. I don't see any reason to demean that.
Maybe it was your brand of diaper. Or perhaps the style or color. Does yours have the little colored building blocks? Wait...perhaps you're a retro old schooler that nothing other than cloth and safety pins will do.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 37497
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Kraken »

The Boston Globe's STAT team published a long, in-depth look at the companies vying to produce the first mRNA Covid vaccines, Moderna and Pfizer, and the technologies they're using. If you're interested in a deep dive into the science and business: Inside the quest for a COVID-19 vaccine. (It's probably paywalled, but I presume we all know how to get around that.)
This is a story of two firms with local ties, Pfizer and Moderna, leading the race for approval of a coronavirus vaccine, but it is also much more. It is also about dreams raised and dashed, of billions at risk and perhaps to be made, and an unproven genetic technology that just might save the world.
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 50282
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

With 2020 and Trump I expect any early vaccine to turn out like the cancer cure in I Am Legend :)
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 50429
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:59 pm The Boston Globe's STAT team published a long, in-depth look at the companies vying to produce the first mRNA Covid vaccines, Moderna and Pfizer, and the technologies they're using. If you're interested in a deep dive into the science and business: Inside the quest for a COVID-19 vaccine. (It's probably paywalled, but I presume we all know how to get around that.)
This is a story of two firms with local ties, Pfizer and Moderna, leading the race for approval of a coronavirus vaccine, but it is also much more. It is also about dreams raised and dashed, of billions at risk and perhaps to be made, and an unproven genetic technology that just might save the world.
Moot. Russia is 92% success. Is better waccine drug.


Russia’s sovereign wealth fund RDIF said early results from its phase three clinical trial of Russia’s coronavirus vaccine, called “Sputnik V,” showed its efficacy amounted to 92%.


The announcement came two days after U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech said their vaccine was more than 90% effective in phase three trials.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Post Reply