RIP, Robin Williams

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

RIP, Robin Williams

Post by pr0ner »

Robin Williams has died in what appears to be an apparent suicide at the age of 63.

:(
Hodor.
Captain Caveman

Re: RIP, Robin Williams

Post by Captain Caveman »

Jeebus. Depression is a motherfucker.
naednek

Post by naednek »

That sucks. One of my favorites.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Wow. That is just awful.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Awww. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I did like some of his work.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Shazbot.

:(
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well... crap.

Words escape me. I've always been a fan. Sad.

:cry:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

When I saw the thread I was hoping it was some kind of joke. I have always been a big fan of Robin Williams. Damn this truly makes me sad.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
tgb

Post by tgb »

WTF?????

I wasn't a huge fan, and his shtick got a little old sometimes, but the man was talented. Jeebus, this is totally out of the blue.

RIP
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haven't posted in a couple weeks but felt I needed to here. I was born 1969 so I grew up on Robin's humor. The best comedian of my lifetime Id wager. We've loved everything in our family from Mork and Mindy , The World According to Garp, Good Morning Vietnam, and Mrs. Doubtfire to many other things. Its kinda like he lived his life faster than others and used it up faster.

I've always wondered about his manic type personality. I am VERY sad that he went like this and didn't live a full happy life. Part of my past again gone. I wish his family well in these times and will miss him too :( RIP Robin.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I know some people didnt like his acting but his stand up was amazingly funny. I was lucky enough to see him live once a very long time ago and he had me in tears I laughed so hard. I will miss him.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Dead Poet's Society, Good Will Hunting....2 of my all-time favorites of Williams.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

That's terribly sad.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
tgb

Post by tgb »

When I was living in the Bay Area I attended some event - either Macworld or the West Coast Computer Faire, and he was there at the same time (he was an avid gamer and a Mac fanatic) playing some game and doing a running commentary. I couldn't get close enough to hear all of it, but what I did hear was hilarious.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

RIP. Very sad. :(
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Damn. RIP.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In the last words uttered on the silver screen by Philip Seymour Hoffman:
Spoiler:
Awwww fuck!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I remember vividly having my mom come in and ask me what I was laughing so hard at on TV. It was Robin on Happy Days doing Mork.

Thanks for the wonderful Gator Growl and all of the laughs Robin. RIP.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow, this is the first one of these where I actually said "Noooooooo." So very sad. RIP.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Very sad indeed. Depression is a tricky, tricky thing. I know he was super great friends with Christopher Reeve as well as John Belushi. Don't think it's been an easy life for the man.

I have this link from Variety if someone wanted an easy click with other information as of current.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Nothing to say but damn :(.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Total shock.
One of the funniest things I ever saw was Robin and Jonathan Winters adlibbing a routine for a show like "60 Minutes", maybe 20 or 30 years ago. The pair of them could always crack me up (as if one of them wasn't enough).
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

He used to stay in my folks neighborhood when he came to Hawaii (before they moved back here). He would always smile and return waves to folks when he was running. Seemed like a genuinely nice man on top of being one of my favorite actors.
RIP Captain.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Odin

Post by Odin »

I don't remember a celebrity death ever bringing a tear to my eye before, but this one got me. I literally grew up with this guy, starting with Mork from Ork when I was a kid. Then Garp, Adrian Cronauer, Mrs. Doubtfire, the guy in Jumanji, Patch Adams, and Teddy Roosevelt - he's been making me laugh until it hurt since I was a little kid. I really figured he'd be around for another 15-20 years, easy. This caught me completely off-guard.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Robin Williams always had an incredible emotional depth. He was hilarious and full of joy, but at the same time he could show despair so effectively that you really believed it. You don't get that from an easy life.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I shall remember him as Mork, the coked-out maniac with the special on HBO, and the mostly well-rounded actor he turned out to be in the end. Always intense, though. He was never "off", even when he supposedly was. In every movie or interview I saw him in you could see that he was waiting to be "on" at any moment. He had to actively choose to be calm. That's not the same thing as being calm.

RIP Mr. Williams
There is no hug button. Sad!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Whoa. This one hits me incredibly hard. He was one of my absolute favourites, even when some of his movies weren't that great. There was something about him that was genuine, as he always seemed to put all his heart into things. Such a great body of work too. He had an incredible range, as he could effectively play a comedic role and a serious one, which I feel is getting rarer and rarer to find.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He was one of us - named his daughter after a video game character when he became completely enthralled with the Legend of Zelda in the late 1980s.

I also know opinions vary on his talents, but I've always enjoyed him. RIP. What a terrible end. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

JSHAW wrote:Dead Poet's Society, Good Will Hunting....2 of my all-time favorites of Williams.
He was definitely more talented than his zany drug fueled 80's hijinks might lead someone to believe if they weren't paying attention. Fisher King is an early dramatic role I recall so it wasn't just his later stuff.

IMDB lists him as acting talent in over 100 works.

(edit: playing attention and roll)
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Very sad. Amazing talent. So sorry to see him go.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Very sad.

Nanu nanu . . . . . :cry:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote:Wow, this is the first one of these where I actually said "Noooooooo." So very sad. RIP.
Me too. His "Reality, What a concept" was the first comedy album I owned. I loved just about everything he did. Such a talent. Even my son who's only 15 was a bit shaken by this as he loves a lot of his stand up improve humor.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

My uncle Don looks and acts like Robin Williams. I always felt I had a special connection. One of my favorite comedians. First watched him in Mork and Mindy. I know it's not a comedy, but I loved watching him in Patch Adams.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:When I was living in the Bay Area I attended some event - either Macworld or the West Coast Computer Faire, and he was there at the same time (he was an avid gamer and a Mac fanatic) playing some game and doing a running commentary. I couldn't get close enough to hear all of it, but what I did hear was hilarious.
One year at E3, I took a piss in the urinal next to him.

What sad news, he was always one of my favorites. :cry:
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Man, I'm still shook up by this. Very saddened and it's certainly cast a gloom over the evening. :(
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Enough

Post by Enough »

msduncan wrote:Man, I'm still shook up by this. Very saddened and it's certainly cast a gloom over the evening. :(
Hit me really hard too, RIP Robin.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Everyone remembers Williams' "big" roles...Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Will Hunting, Aladdin, etc. While I loved those, my favorites were two of his lesser known performances. The Fisher King is still one of my all-time favorite films. Partly because of the story, but mainly because Williams gives an absolutely remarkable performance as Perry. If you want to see "creepy psychotic stalker" done to perfection, go watch One Hour Photo. He was amazing.

RIP, funny man. You will be remembered fondly.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

msduncan wrote:Man, I'm still shook up by this. Very saddened and it's certainly cast a gloom over the evening. :(
You and me both. I had a hard time having fun at my trivia game tonight, and celebrity deaths never affect me. I genuinely loved Robin Williams as an actor and as a comedian and the news that not only did he die, but that it's an apparent suicide, hit me really hard.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yep. My son summed it up best when we got into the car after a good first soccer practice and we saw it on our phones. He said, "Well. this day just turned sucky."
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter