RIP, Robin Williams

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: RIP, Robin Williams

Post by Paingod »

If you post it a third time, he'll appear... :P
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Saw this over at QT3 and had to bring it here

http://jezebel.com/trolls-bully-robin-w ... 1620658595
How can people be so unbelievable cruel?
Last edited by rshetts2 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Forgot the URL tags, link went poof.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

silverjon wrote:Forgot the URL tags, link went poof.
Thanks for the heads up. :doh:
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

rshetts2 wrote:Saw this over at QT3 and had to bring it here

http://jezebel.com/trolls-bully-robin-w ... 1620658595
How can people be so unbelievable cruel?

God, I hate people sometimes.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:
morlac wrote: " So last night I'm drunk and fucking your daughter and the condom broke." "It wasn't even good sex and I barely remember it" And then I laughed so loud the whole restaurant turned around. I'll never forget the look on her parents faces, it makes me giggle even now. :). I got up and left before I got punched by her Dad but funniest part was after that Jennifer could not get enough of me. That's fucked up!
:shock:

I don't think I would ever have the guts to do that.
I...probably couldn't. But it might have been possible when I was younger. It makes me giggle too, so good job morlac.

It reminds me of the xkcd comic about saying weird shit to the parents of your gf. "I licked your daughter's nipples" comes to mind.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unfortunately complete anonymity + kids with no sense of responsibility = recipe for disaster. I have read other stories in the past about people trolling car accident victims' families with actual photos. It's horrible.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's a great heartfelt letter written by Zelda.

Robin Williams's Daughter pens heartbreaking goodbye to her father
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tgb

Post by tgb »

YellowKing wrote:Unfortunately complete anonymity + kids with no sense of responsibility = recipe for disaster. I have read other stories in the past about people trolling car accident victims' families with actual photos. It's horrible.
It's not just kids.

Stay classy, Rush.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

tgb wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Unfortunately complete anonymity + kids with no sense of responsibility = recipe for disaster. I have read other stories in the past about people trolling car accident victims' families with actual photos. It's horrible.
It's not just kids.

Stay classy, Rush.

I...um...er...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
tgb wrote:
It's not just kids.

Stay classy, Rush.

I...um...er...
That has to be one of the worst reversals evar. he's not even trying. I'm surprised he doesn't just start communicating in sound bites. ...leftist druggery....unhappy...suicide...liberal media...out of context...

And to be honest, I didn't find his comments *particularly* offensive. I mean, he says way more hatefilled nonsense every day. Saying Williams killed himself because he was liberal and all liberals are unhappy is stupid as hell, but on the scale of offense, it's pretty low, at least for him.

He's a morAn and should be ignored as such. Well, he's a caricature, and should be ignored as such.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote:That has to be one of the worst reversals evar. he's not even trying. I'm surprised he doesn't just start communicating in sound bites. ...leftist druggery....unhappy...suicide...liberal media...out of context...
Like this?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zaxxon wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:That has to be one of the worst reversals evar. he's not even trying. I'm surprised he doesn't just start communicating in sound bites. ...leftist druggery....unhappy...suicide...liberal media...out of context...
Like this?
Bourbon. It's not just for breakfast any more.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Fans petitioned Blizzard to immortalize Robin Williams by making him an NPC in World of Warcraft. Blizzard listened!

http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-12/avid-ga ... -character
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

a day later and it still feels very surreal.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Report coming across the wire that he had the early stages of Parkinson's, per his wife.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote:Report coming across the wire that he had the early stages of Parkinson's, per his wife.
Now that makes a lot more sense. Can totally understand deciding not to live through that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote:He was one of us - named his daughter after a video game character when he became completely enthralled with the Legend of Zelda in the late 1980s.
Whoa. I never knew he was responsible for Sid Meier's name being featured on the games:
Stealey has a different take: “We were at dinner at a Software Publishers Association meeting, and [actor] Robin Williams was there. And he kept us in stitches for two hours. And he turns to me and says ‘Bill, you should put Sid's name on a couple of these boxes, and promote him as the star.’ And that's how Sid's name got on Pirates, and Civilization.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cool
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Robin Williams on Louie (Louie CK)

The quote at the end, Wow...very true.

http://vimeo.com/103207581
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This may have been posted already, but in case it hasn't, here's a great interview with Williams by Marc Maron.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Oh Captain! My Captian! :cry:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Rip wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Report coming across the wire that he had the early stages of Parkinson's, per his wife.
Now that makes a lot more sense. Can totally understand deciding not to live through that.
Imagine that you have a disease. Not Parkinson's, another disease.

Because of that disease you are suffering all of the time. It prevents you from being effective at what you do, ruins your relationships, hinders any enjoyment of life. It is at the front of your mind 95% of the day.

Imagine you become very convinced that you're not going to get any better -- that you're going to keep suffering, every day, until it's over.

Imagine that you become convinced your are a burden to your loved ones and make their life worse.

Can you imagine deciding not to live through that?

The disease is depression.
Popehat, a blog.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mr. Fed wrote:
Rip wrote:
Imagine that you have a disease. Not Parkinson's, another disease.

Because of that disease you are suffering all of the time. It prevents you from being effective at what you do, ruins your relationships, hinders any enjoyment of life. It is at the front of your mind 95% of the day.

Imagine you become very convinced that you're not going to get any better -- that you're going to keep suffering, every day, until it's over.

Imagine that you become convinced your are a burden to your loved ones and make their life worse.

Can you imagine deciding not to live through that?

The disease is depression.
The best part is that the thing that controls your willpower, your desire to live, to fight, to overcome adversity, to triumph, is the very thing that is diseased. And it keeps telling you to give up.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

JSHAW wrote:Robin Williams on Louie (Louie CK)

The quote at the end, Wow...very true.

http://vimeo.com/103207581
I was laughing so hard at the musical tribute.
Then of course crashed at the last 15 seconds of the clip.
Going down stairs to get another beer :cry:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Disney Channel ran Aladdin commercial free Saturday night. And at the end they had a splash card that said something like "In Memory of Robin Williams, Who Made Us Laugh."

It destroyed my 14 year old, who grew up with Aladdin.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
tgb

Post by tgb »

I can't find the link right now, but latest word from his wife is that he was taking a drug for Parkinson's that had a side effect of suicidal thoughts. That combined with the already existing depression could have pushed him over the edge.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

A lot of people jumped to conclusions and made asses out of themselves over Robin's suicide, and as more facts come in they look like even bigger assholes than they already did. Of course, they'll never admit it.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

tgb wrote:I can't find the link right now, but latest word from his wife is that he was taking a drug for Parkinson's that had a side effect of suicidal thoughts. That combined with the already existing depression could have pushed him over the edge.
Parkinson's can trigger depression or make existing depression worse, and some Parkinson's drugs can magnify that effect. Docs are supposed to be really careful easing Parkinson's patients onto drugs if they have any history of depression.

Source: my doc, who explained it to me today when he upgraded me from batshit crazy to bugshit crazy. (I hoped for fucking loco, but one step at a time).
Popehat, a blog.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Mr. Fed wrote:Source: my doc, who explained it to me today when he upgraded me from batshit crazy to bugshit crazy. (I hoped for fucking loco, but one step at a time).
Is that really a step up? I would expect the smaller animal to indicate progress in the opposite direction.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

RIP, Robin Williams

Post by Zarathud »

The crazy crowds out the animal. It's the same inverse relationship seen in tiny dogs who bark more loudly.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Henry Rollins pisses off some hollywood celebs with his statements on RW's suicide.

http://www.gossipcop.com/henry-rollins- ... s-suicide/

I understand his point of view, but I doubt he'll be making any new friends with
that viewpoint.

Robin was such a beloved man, I don't think he'll ever know just how many people's lives
he touched with his work. :cry:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Normally I like and respect Rollins (if you've never seen his show on H2 10 Things You Didn't Know About, you need to start watching it right now) but I read that yesterday and he really comes off looking like an ass.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I saw Rollins speak in 1994 or 1995 and it quite powerful. I am guessing his statements are coming from the the death of his best friend in 1991 - something that I don't think he'll ever get over. That was actually a large focal point of his speaking engagement when I saw him - how we should all appreciate life because there are so many people that don't have a choice because they are dead. I'm guessing his statements are coming from a place where he can't understand why someone would intentionally take their own life when his friend died for nothing.
In a 1992 Los Angeles Times interview Rollins revealed he kept a plastic container full of soil soaked with Cole's blood. Rollins said "I dug up all the earth where his head fell – he was shot in the face – and I've got all the dirt here, and so Joe Cole's in the house. I say good morning to him every day. I got his phone, too, so I got a direct line to him. So that feels good."[
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Deciding to kill yourself is not a "normal" decision. So to ask someone to make rational thoughts (I probably shouldn't do this since I have kids) about an irrational decision makes no sense. That's what Rollins seems to be failing to comprehend.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

YellowKing wrote:Deciding to kill yourself is not a "normal" decision. So to ask someone to make rational thoughts (I probably shouldn't do this since I have kids) about an irrational decision makes no sense. That's what Rollins seems to be failing to comprehend.
There are plenty of examples where suicide is a normal and rational decision. A woman in the early stages of dementia wrote
"I can live or vegetate for perhaps 10 years in hospital at Canada's expense, costing anywhere from $50,000 to $75,000 per year. That is only the beginning of the damage. Nurses, who thought they were embarked on a career that had great meaning, find themselves perpetually changing my diapers and reporting on the physical changes of an empty husk. It is ludicrous, wasteful and unfair.... Understand that I am giving up nothing that I want by committing suicide.
I feel the same way. If I know it's coming there is no way I won't take myself out before I get to that stage.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Also, his youngest child is 23 and a working director. It's not like he left behind school-age children that will need a change in their care and residence.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:Also, his youngest child is 23 and a working director. It's not like he left behind school-age children that will need a change in their care and residence.
This is still trying to apply logic to a decision that was made not as the result of logic but of the result of a disease. He's still leaving behind a huge burden of guilt and regret and a stigma that could affect generations. In terms of mischaracterizing the illness, to absolve him because his kids are adults is effectively no different than blaming him if his kids were younger.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Do you think he was in a rational state of mind in this instance, though? Maybe, maybe not, but the evidence is there (depression, possibly on Parkinson's drugs that are known to cause suicidal tendencies) that he was not. If there's evidence that he was not, then I think Rollins criticism is short-sighted.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Also, his youngest child is 23 and a working director. It's not like he left behind school-age children that will need a change in their care and residence.
This is still trying to apply logic to a decision that was made not as the result of logic but of the result of a disease. He's still leaving behind a huge burden of guilt and regret and a stigma that could affect generations. In terms of mischaracterizing the illness, to absolve him because his kids are adults is effectively no different than blaming him if his kids were younger.
I'm not attempting to absolve him of anything. It's the same misleading stuff we see in these racially-charged shooting thread. The use of the word "kid" puts people in a certain mindset. I have no doubt that his kids will have a long, tough road to deal with their father's choice. I don't minimize it all. But waving the "kid" flag is something that, more and more, as I investigate it, is just a flag to wave to support the speaker's narrative.