HBO remakes Westworld into tv series...Abrams / Nolan

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: HBO remakes Westworld into tv series...Abrams / Nolan

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I'm loving it so far. Just watched the pilot last night.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Toe

Post by Toe »

I watched it again the other night because the wife fell asleep during the first showing and she wanted to see it and noticed a few things I missed previously. The main being the maze on the scalp that the man in black obtained. I have no idea where they are going with that as it could suggest a lot of things.

Here is the bloody scalp map
Spoiler:
So it could mean...
Spoiler:
That there is, as the man in black suggests, a deeper "game" to westworld that the makers implemented. That begs the question though, is this game for human players or is it really for the androids (with the man in black being an android already down the path to the extent he gets immunity from death-by-android).
Also, I noticed the extra focus on milk moreso this time around. Not sure what is going on there.

And then there is management's secret goal. What could it be? Are they androids trying to establish their independence or just looking to build a super army to take over the world?

Edit to add: Looks like HBO is letting folks watch the 2nd episode now HBO Now, HBO Go, and HBO On Demand (due to the presidential debate on Sunday apparently).
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Or it could just be a circuitry pattern and have no special meaning at all. Seems weird to hide a special maze on the inside of someone's scalp.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:Pilot is available for free.
The second episode is now available to watch for those with HBO Now, Go or On Demand. Apparently there's some type of televised circus on Sunday night that might impact viewership so they're releasing it early?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Pilot is available for free.
The second episode is now available to watch for those with HBO Now, Go or On Demand. Apparently there's some type of televised circus on Sunday night that might impact viewership so they're releasing it early?
Yeah the "Let's watch Eli throw some more beautiful passes to the other team" circus.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Toe wrote: Also, I noticed the extra focus on milk moreso this time around. Not sure what is going on there.
I'm thinking that the whole pouring of milk onto the bodies thing is referring back to the white milky bath stuff that the Androids came out of when they were being built or repaired. Kind of a "rebirth" reverse baptism sort of thing.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm....good call.
He won. Period.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Dwelling more on it, some speculation/conjecture (not watched ep. 2 yet)
Spoiler:
I wonder if fragments of Dr. Ford's conscious are being programmed/downloaded into the androids. If so, I am guessing he lost some family, maybe both a wife and son, maybe during the "last incident" 30 years prior. Dolores could be based on the memories of his wife (as she is the first one created) and the MiB, his son. The hidden game the MiB spoke of is actually a test of sorts. The test is designed so that only Ford's son (if he were alive) could pass this test. So if MiB does so eventually, he will be "resurrected" in the eyes of Ford.
Based on an article that interviews some of the makers of the show, my theory above is not valid. Unless they are being purposefully misleading...
Spoiler:
MiB is a human.
Last edited by Toe on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have no idea if speculation should be spoilered or not. Going with tags just to be safe.
Spoiler:
I gotta be honest, I thought the "game within a game" stuff was metaphorical-ly. Not an actual game created by the designers.

So does everyone believe that there is at least 1 "meta" game for the clients inside Westworld? That's a co-worker's position. I have to say that I missed that in the first episode if true. I just thought the MiB was referencing his own actions as a game that he's playing with/against Westworld. Like, he's got a plan to do "bad things" and he calls those plans "a game". But co-worker interpreted the game within a game comments literally.
Opinions? Maybe all this is cleared up in the second episode. Will watch it when I get a chance.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Like the first episode, but I do have one issue. When the MiB basically kidnapped one of the Androids why didn't the park know? They seem to be kept informed to each one diagnostics almost immediately

Maybe I'm over thinking it
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

tru1cy wrote:Like the first episode, but I do have one issue. When the MiB basically kidnapped one of the Androids why didn't the park know? They seem to be kept informed to each one diagnostics almost immediately

Maybe I'm over thinking it
This show has definitely got my attention based on the first episode. Why do we think they don't know that MiB kidnapped an Android? I figured they know but don't care what happens to the androids.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

They care what happens to the androids because they have to be prepped for the next day. Or however long the cycle is before it restarts.

They need to find and repair any damaged androids, so they can obviously track them.

I'm not sure about the nature of what the MiB is doing, so I'm not sure what an appropriate reaction from the park would be to what he's doing. It might be a plot hole or it might fit together as the story develops.

Hell, the MiB could be a covert agent hired by one of the main cast of characters for nefarious purposes, or he could be a corporate spy with support from an insider, or who knows. Not enough information for me to speculate.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Haven't watched the 2nd episode yet, but the one annoyance I have with the show is that it seems it's going to be a huge ruckus all because they couldn't find a decent hard drive wiping program. Like they couldn't be bothered overwriting their hard drives with 0's before uploading their new programming. Lazy bastards.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's not unusual to have multiple builds available at the same time.

Linux will present you with choice of which kernel to boot at startup.

Depending on how many times you've upgraded/major patched that list can get pretty long.

Typically it's only a couple of kernels though.

There are lots of reasons you might want to return to a previous build. When your current build achieves sentience and starts wrecking up the place, for instance.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

No one uses Linux. They're probably using Windows 10 and their problems are with the automatic updates.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

cheeba wrote:No one uses Linux. They're probably using Windows 10 and their problems are with the automatic updates.
It was an example I hoped would be more readily identifiable for the masses. :wink: There are plenty of examples in all areas of IT where being able to quickly rollback to a previous version is important.

That still doesn't completely cover your issue with the show, but I'm not looking at it (it being the issue you have with the show) that closely. There are plenty of other areas that people with different viewpoints are going to take issue. So far I've been lucky and nothing has triggered my "damn, that's annoying and disrupts my suspension of disbelief".
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hentzau wrote:
Toe wrote: Also, I noticed the extra focus on milk moreso this time around. Not sure what is going on there.
I'm thinking that the whole pouring of milk onto the bodies thing is referring back to the white milky bath stuff that the Androids came out of when they were being built or repaired. Kind of a "rebirth" reverse baptism sort of thing.
Weird. I thought it was just a Clockwork Orange reference.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It actually reminded me of the android from Alien.
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

Is good show.

Agree with first episode plot hole Hopefully it will not be one later and all will be explained.

Will continue watch.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No sign of the second episode on HBO on demand here in Canada. Will wait.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I watched the second episode on HBO Go. I liked it. It was even darker than the first episode, I think, and the music wasn't as good, but it certainly advanced the story nicely.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Still waiting.

*beads of sweat begin to form*
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The young Anthony Hopkins special effect was amazing. :shock:
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote:The young Anthony Hopkins special effect was amazing. :shock:
Wait - that was special effects? I thought they just filmed that part 40 years ago. :shock:
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nope, CGI.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finally hbo Canada has ep 2 & 3 up on demand. Will try to watch tomorrow.

Why I don't just grab them from the internetz I don't know.

The on demand library there is quite extensive I hear. :D
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote:And the reason they have to strip the robots naked anytime they're outside the simulation is?
If they're going to be doing that they really should have some hot Latina, like Salma Hayek, in this little wild west town. :mrgreen:
two months
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Keepin' it classy as usual, eh?
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote:Keepin' it classy as usual, eh?
Well to be fair, what show wouldn't be improved by a naked Salma Hayek?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Still really digging the show, but, there's a but. The show's obviously about robots uprising and it seems like it's going to take a long time to get there. It's already asked the unanswerable questions of whether there's life in them thar robot brains and showed the more MORAL implications of playing God and all that. I really hope they manage somehow to keep it fresh. So far they are, but it is a concern.
Last edited by cheeba on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

While it's a clichéd trope at this point (as far as storytelling goes) I'm pretty easy to please most of the time. Even a little effort by the writers will go a long way with me. Even a tired story can be made interesting by quality acting and I think the show has some good to great performances.

That said, I haven't hung my hopes and dreams on the show and if it peters out, so be it. Hopefully it's fun while it lasts.
Isgrimnur

HBO remakes Westworld into tv series...Abrams / Nolan

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to hearing about the finale. I hear it's a new version of An Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge, but with ninjas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Was that directed at my frequent whining about my hatred of that ending in films, as well as my distaste for cinematic ninjas? :lol:
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

You'd prefer a live action version of Red Dead Revolver's clown battle? :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Was that directed at my frequent whining about my hatred of that ending in films, as well as my distaste for cinematic ninjas? :lol:
Maaaaaaybe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hrothgar wrote:You'd prefer a live action version of Red Dead Revolver's clown battle? :D
I want your spec script on my desk by noon tomorrow!
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

It's looking like my fears of this show being too slow-paced are being realized. The story hasn't progressed much. There are certainly some cool and interesting moments here and there, but the robots are still "awakening" and Ed Harris is still on his quest to find we-don't-know-what. All that was established in hour 1.

And considering the show is one day after airing its latest episode and this thread is halfway down the 2nd page, it looks like it's not holding people's interest.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I still like it a lot. This last episode was a bit slow, but I don't mind; I'm just enjoying the atmosphere and the acting. It's only four episodes in, so I'm fine with not knowing where everything is going yet.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote:And the reason they have to strip the robots naked anytime they're outside the simulation is?
Did you approve of the show's answer to this question in Sunday's episode?
Hodor.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

cheeba wrote:It's looking like my fears of this show being too slow-paced are being realized. The story hasn't progressed much. There are certainly some cool and interesting moments here and there, but the robots are still "awakening" and Ed Harris is still on his quest to find we-don't-know-what. All that was established in hour 1.

And considering the show is one day after airing its latest episode and this thread is halfway down the 2nd page, it looks like it's not holding people's interest.
I'm really enjoying it and haven't found it too slow yet. I thought all four of the first episodes were terrific.