[TV] Gotham (Spoilers)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Re: [TV] Gotham (Spoilers)

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:So, it looks like Morena Baccarin (Leslie Tompkins) and Ben McKenzie (Gordon) are The Pregnant and getting married.
I thought those love scenes were a bit too convincing! Oh and Ben McKenzie has a shitty job doesnt he? Director: "ok in this scene you and Morena are going to go at it like teenagers." Ben: "Yeah I think I can work with that"
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Wow, thinks went to pot fast.

Jim, is going to be on fire next week.

and HARVEY'S BACK!!!
Odin

Post by Odin »

Knock, Knock was an excellent episode. Really, really good stuff.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This show shouldn't work for me...but it does. :wub:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Great episode. It really puts the pieces in place for Batman. Gotham is certainly putting the puzzle together for Batman faster than Smallville did it for Superman.

A lot of people are speculating that our new villain and his sniper-whip assistant are representatives of
Spoiler:
The Court of Owls. RLY!
The thing that I still wonder at this point is why in the hell is future Gordon ever going to decide to name his daughter Barbara?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I did not see that coming. Wow.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:I did not see that coming. Wow.
Yea, I am a little heart broken.

My only small gripe about the episode is a lack of penguin. No idea where you would squeeze it in though. We need some two hour episodes.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Things are not always what they seem......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given what I've read, I'm pretty sure they are what they seem this time. They've basically said that the development of that character will be series long, rather like Batman's. We've seen an inspiration, not the real deal.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:Given what I've read, I'm pretty sure they are what they seem this time. They've basically said that the development of that character will be series long, rather like Batman's. We've seen an inspiration, not the real deal.
That is most certainly what the ending of the last episode implied. Whether it is true or not remains to be seen but unfortunately I believe youre right. We may have seen the last of Jerome.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

rshetts2 wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Given what I've read, I'm pretty sure they are what they seem this time. They've basically said that the development of that character will be series long, rather like Batman's. We've seen an inspiration, not the real deal.
That is most certainly what the ending of the last episode implied. Whether it is true or not remains to be seen but unfortunately I believe youre right. We may have seen the last of Jerome.

I did not like the implication
Spoiler:
that the Joker we know is a copycat of Jerome. :?
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Rip

Post by Rip »

GargoyleBoy wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:

I did not like the implication
Spoiler:
that the Joker we know is a copycat of Jerome. :?
Nor do I. Any Joker who is less than Jerome will seem like a letdown.

Doing better than Jerome seems like a long shot at this point.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wouldn't view it so literally.
Spoiler:
Jerome was the spirit of madness and chaos. He doesn't inspire copycats so much as infects the soul of the city. In essence, he IS the Joker still. I thought it was a fantastic way to throw a curveball that most folks didn't see coming...while remaining true to the Batman mythos AND giving us a glimpse into just how sick a city would need to be in order to create a Joker.
Covfefe!
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

But I am viewing it literally, because we are talking about the literal Joker. The physical human being with the big red grin. I'm not interested in a metaphysical Joker.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Rip

Post by Rip »

GargoyleBoy wrote:But I am viewing it literally, because we are talking about the literal Joker. The physical human being with the big red grin. I'm not interested in a metaphysical Joker.
This, you had a guy who played the character spot on and you killed him off with the hopes that you have someone in the bullpen who can act the role better.

I'm skeptical.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

GargoyleBoy wrote:But I am viewing it literally, because we are talking about the literal Joker. The physical human being with the big red grin. I'm not interested in a metaphysical Joker.
Like I said, I thought it was a fantastic twist. Having Jerome turn out to be who we thought he was would've been too cheap and easy. This is one of those rare shows on CW that doesn't seem entirely targeted at teenagers and the short attention span crowd. I really hope the quality of writing remains that high for the foreseeable future.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote:This is one of those rare shows on CW that doesn't seem entirely targeted at teenagers and the short attention span crowd. I really hope the quality of writing remains that high for the foreseeable future.
That's because it's on Fox, not CW.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoops, my mistake. For some reason I thought it was a sister show to Flash and Arrow. That does explain why it feels less "teeny" to me.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm about 1/2 through the first season now (thanks, Netflix) and I have to say I'm really impressed. I wrote this off when I saw it advertised last year as something that would likely be crap, but it really is quite enjoyable. The casting in particular is really great - I don't even mind Jada Pinkett Smith as a scene-chewing villain. Regardless, it really feels like they did their homework and are making smart story/writing choices for the various plot lines.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Odin

Post by Odin »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't even mind Jada Pinkett Smith as a scene-chewing villain. Regardless, it really feels like they did their homework and are making smart story/writing choices for the various plot lines.
She's the one thing about this show that I haven't enjoyed. Fish Mooney gets on my nerves no end.
Rip

Post by Rip »

She used to get on mine, but now she doesn't.

:ninja:
Odin

Post by Odin »

Hopefully Smoove is smart enough to stay out of this thread until he's caught up on the show.

Also, no body makes me nervous. She's nicknamed "Fish" after all. I'm pretty much expecting her to show up again at some point, more's the pity.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Odin wrote:Hopefully Smoove is smart enough to stay out of this thread until he's caught up on the show.

Also, no body makes me nervous. She's nicknamed "Fish" after all. I'm pretty much expecting her to show up again at some point, more's the pity.
Jada herself said that she was only meant to be on the show for one season and her role was basically to feed the Penguins rise to power. She was not and so far has not been contracted for any further work on Gotham. Of course there was no real finality in her alleged demise, for what its worth. Then again, they have given us Jerome on a slab and people are still convinced hes coming back so you never know.
Rip

Post by Rip »

rshetts2 wrote:
Odin wrote:Hopefully Smoove is smart enough to stay out of this thread until he's caught up on the show.

Jada herself said that she was only meant to be on the show for one season and her role was basically to feed the Penguins rise to power. She was not and so far has not been contracted for any further work on Gotham. Of course there was no real finality in her alleged demise, for what its worth. Then again, they have given us Jerome on a slab and people are still convinced hes coming back so you never know.

I can give her credit for that. Much like wrestling her heel work put me over for penguin.

For that purpose I can see it as an effective role and she performed it effectively.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Yeah, I'm not saying I expect her to be a regular on the show again, but if we never see that character return over the course of (what's likely to be) a fairly long run, I'll be surprised. The door is open and the temptation's going to be too strong.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Odin wrote:Yeah, I'm not saying I expect her to be a regular on the show again, but if we never see that character return over the course of (what's likely to be) a fairly long run, I'll be surprised. The door is open and the temptation's going to be too strong.
She is still an influence on the show, as the confrontation between Bullock and Penguin pointed out. I really wouldnt be surprised is she popped back up a season or two down the road and that may even be a cool thing to do but they would be smart to let her stay dead for a while. It would cheapen the impact if they did it any time soon.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Also have to give them credit, they've taken Barbara, a character I didn't care for in season 1, and seem to have made her a decent villain.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daveman wrote:Also have to give them credit, they've taken Barbara, a character I didn't care for in season 1, and seem to have made her a decent villain.
Extremely easy on the eyes, I might add
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Pee Wee Herman is coming to Gotham, basically reprising his role as Penguin's father.
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Pee Wee Herman is coming to Gotham, basically reprising his role as Penguin's father.
That seems like a good choice. Reuben's facial structure is a good match.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, that is inspired. Can't wait to see what he does with the role. I'm guessing it won't be pretty.

My only concern with Barbara is that I really hope they don't return yet again to the well with the whole "Oh, she's a Barbara, but not THAT Barbara!" shtick. They've done it twice before now. Time for a break.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Sounds like we will finally meet Capt. Nathaniel Barnes this week.

Really looking forward to it.
mori

Post by mori »

Xmann wrote:
Daveman wrote:Also have to give them credit, they've taken Barbara, a character I didn't care for in season 1, and seem to have made her a decent villain.
Extremely easy on the eyes, I might add
I find slutty Barbara extremely hot.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was, but I'd also assumed she wasn't going to survive the first season. I finished it over the weekend and now have to go through the last four (five?) weeks of season 2 which is waiting for me on the TiVo. I really, really liked the series - totally came out of nowhere for me. I would say that Batman is probably one of my favorite characters, so on paper this series just shouldn't work as it's not about him at all. But the casting is so well done that I can totally see everything coming together. I mean, I believe Penguin's story. I can appreciate (and understand) what is happening to the Riddler. The Selina Kyle relationship makes sense. The Scarecrow story was fantastic. Mr. Zsasz was different, but still awesome. There is a lot and I don't know how casual fans feel about it, but I'm definitely excited to see where this is all going for the second season.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Odin

Post by Odin »

So far, the second season (Rise of the Villains) is off to a pretty great start.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, they certainly don't shy away from the gore, do they?
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Nope! And it looks like things will continue to go downhill for awhile.
-mf
Rip

Post by Rip »

Much like Butch I didn't realize what Penguin was up to until it was too late.

:twisted:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't realize Butch was still under the influence of the conditioning. At least to that extent. For some reason I thought he was serving Penguin willingly. :?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, now I have a pretty good idea of who Galavan is now, or who he is paving the way for. They're really tying into the history of old Gotham here.