[Movie] Captain Marvel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: [Movie] Captain Marvel

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm MCU movies. I think Blank Panther is #1 and is probably the only legitimately great MCU movie. Well, I'd put Guardians of the Galaxy 1 as a great movie as well, and that would probably be #2. After that, Captain Marvel is in the next tier of "very good".
Interesting. I thought Iron Man, Avengers, and GoG were the great ones because not only were they well done for what they were, they brought more to the table than others of their time. IM truly launched the franchise, Avengers truly brought the franchise together beyond nods to each other, and GoG completely stepped outside the mold that had been laid down for them. Cap America, Black Panther, and Cap Marvel, think did the most within the existing frameworks, feeling like they had more going on than adding another variant of the same story line. Cap America may fade back a bit, as barring the infinity stone, it was was adding another of the same story lines. It was just the first of the formula to follow IM, so it stands out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm MCU movies. I think Blank Panther is #1 and is probably the only legitimately great MCU movie. Well, I'd put Guardians of the Galaxy 1 as a great movie as well, and that would probably be #2. After that, Captain Marvel is in the next tier of "very good".
Interesting. I thought Iron Man, Avengers, and GoG were the great ones because not only were they well done for what they were, they brought more to the table than others of their time. IM truly launched the franchise, Avengers truly brought the franchise together beyond nods to each other, and GoG completely stepped outside the mold that had been laid down for them. Cap America, Black Panther, and Cap Marvel, think did the most within the existing frameworks, feeling like they had more going on than adding another variant of the same story line. Cap America may fade back a bit, as barring the infinity stone, it was was adding another of the same story lines. It was just the first of the formula to follow IM, so it stands out.
I suppose there's a question of whether you give a movie credit for being a pioneer in its area. I don't really in terms of comparing which ones are the best, although I think it's fair to argue that Iron Man 1 is one of the most *important* movies in the MCU, since as you say it established the franchise (if that bombed, that would at a minimum have greatly altered MCU plans). With the caveat that I haven't watched Iron Man 1 in years, I recall it being a good movie but not something that I remember as blowing me away.

Most of the Marvel movies are comparable in my mind in terms of being good, reasonably well acted, entertaining, but often lacking super compelling villains or narrative or suspense. Black Panther was especially great because it had an *amazing* villain (and you get to see his perspective, which is ruthless but not totally crazy or evil from its perspective), and it had interesting themes in terms of tradition and loyalty (with characters responding in different and interesting ways to the rise of Killmonger and what it means for their traditions and oaths).

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 was uniquely great because it's easily the funniest of the MCU movies. Thor Ragnarok wound up being a comedy too, and a pretty good one, but just not GotG great.

Captain Marvel had some interesting characters and themes to put it towards the front of the "very good" MCU pack, but not anything compelling enough to put it in the very top "great" tier.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 amalthough I think it's fair to argue that Iron Man 1 is one of the most *important* movies in the MCU, since as you say it established the franchise (if that bombed, that would at a minimum have greatly altered MCU plans).
I think the Marvel team has said that if Iron Man bombed, then they wouldn't have been able to make any more movies. Marvel Studios was brand new, and put all of their resources into making Iron Man and Incredible Hulk basically simultaneously. If Iron Man was a dud, the MCU would have gone the way of Universal's Dark Universe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I considered GoG to be uniquely good because it didn't ask me to suspend disbelief. It asked me leave my reality at the door and enjoy the story.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
Marvel’s latest superhero flick, Captain Marvel, just crossed a big milestone: it’s earned more than $1 billion at the global box office, according to Variety. The film is the seventh in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to hit that mark, joining the likes of Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 am
I suppose there's a question of whether you give a movie credit for being a pioneer in its area. I don't really in terms of comparing which ones are the best, although I think it's fair to argue that Iron Man 1 is one of the most *important* movies in the MCU, since as you say it established the franchise (if that bombed, that would at a minimum have greatly altered MCU plans). With the caveat that I haven't watched Iron Man 1 in years, I recall it being a good movie but not something that I remember as blowing me away.

Most of the Marvel movies are comparable in my mind in terms of being good, reasonably well acted, entertaining, but often lacking super compelling villains or narrative or suspense. Black Panther was especially great because it had an *amazing* villain (and you get to see his perspective, which is ruthless but not totally crazy or evil from its perspective), and it had interesting themes in terms of tradition and loyalty (with characters responding in different and interesting ways to the rise of Killmonger and what it means for their traditions and oaths).

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 was uniquely great because it's easily the funniest of the MCU movies. Thor Ragnarok wound up being a comedy too, and a pretty good one, but just not GotG great.

Captain Marvel had some interesting characters and themes to put it towards the front of the "very good" MCU pack, but not anything compelling enough to put it in the very top "great" tier.
Winter Soldier is right up there, IMHO. Captain America and the surveillance state run by
Spoiler:
Hydra
was really good.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

To me, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Ant Man, and Ragnarok are the five best MCU movies. But I honestly feel that the first one, Iron Man, is still the best of all. It's actually my all time favorite super hero movie. Whether one agrees or disagrees with that, I believe we can all agree that when the chips were down and the entire future was dependent on the success of a single movie, Marvel stepped up to the plate and hit a grand slam. As a huge Marvel comics fan in the late 70's early 80's, I am intensely proud of what Marvel has managed to accomplish with the MCU.

That being said, I though Captain Marvel was very routine for an MCU movie, much like Dr Strange or Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Not bad and certainly entertaining, but it was very forgettable. Of the four movies I watched that weekend (Captain Marvel, Game Night, Lady Bird and The Bourne Identity), it was easily the weakest.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Not being a comic book reader, Iron Man the character meant nothing to me. As in zero, as in 'this is a new story about someone who might as well have been invented yesterday'. I saw it only because I was familiar with Superman, Batman, etc from tv and previous movies so why not give it a chance?

Marvel indeed hit a grand slam with that movie. Not only did I love the movie, but I immediately bought in to their MCU thing, it was that good. Thor Ragnarok is probably my favorite, the look and tone of that movie is exactly my cup of tea, but Iron Man is tops in terms of achievement in my opinion. It made everything else possible.
JCC

Post by JCC »

My take on the baseball analogy is that Iron Man was a World Series winning double. It was certainly the most *important* successful MCU movie - as they would have been financially devastated and have given up the movie rights to pretty much all of the characters in the MCU had it failed. I still think Iron Man falls into the "good" tier of the Marvel movies. (My tiers are poor, good, great.) But, yes, it was absolutely critical in creating the MCU we all know and love so its relative importance is unquestionably #1. Still doesn't make it even close to the best in my rankings - but it was certainly very good.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

JCC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:29 am My take on the baseball analogy is that Iron Man was a World Series winning double. It was certainly the most *important* successful MCU movie - as they would have been financially devastated and have given up the movie rights to pretty much all of the characters in the MCU had it failed. I still think Iron Man falls into the "good" tier of the Marvel movies. (My tiers are poor, good, great.) But, yes, it was absolutely critical in creating the MCU we all know and love so its relative importance is unquestionably #1. Still doesn't make it even close to the best in my rankings - but it was certainly very good.
Hmmm, a cogent analysis.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If Iron Man is a .300-batting #3 hitter, GotG is the injury-prone, Andro-abusing cleanup guy who manages a .900+ OPS despite hitting .247. Captain Marvel is a LOOGY and Dr. Strange is the infield fly rule. Captain America 2 has a high fielding percentage but its defensive win shares are surprisingly weak during home turf day games.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

During my comic book days Marvel comics didn't mean too much. I hate no interest in someone called Ironman. Altho I did like Spiderman and the Silver Surfer.
No I went with DC comics.
In my early years it was Disney and "comic type comics", no super heroes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
JCC

Post by JCC »

Sudy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:27 pm If Iron Man is a .300-batting #3 hitter, GotG is the injury-prone, Andro-abusing cleanup guy who manages a .900+ OPS despite hitting .247. Captain Marvel is a LOOGY and Dr. Strange is the infield fly rule. Captain America 2 has a high fielding percentage but its defensive win shares are surprisingly weak during home turf day games.
LOL! You win the baseball metaphor!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:28 pm During my comic book days Marvel comics didn't mean too much. I hate no interest in someone called Ironman.
Ironman was a 1940s throwback to when iron was badass and punching Nazis was the whole point (much like Capt America). I never liked the comics because WWII was already fading when I was a tyke. I was really skeptical that they could update either of those dudes for the 21st century.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:03 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:28 pm During my comic book days Marvel comics didn't mean too much. I hate no interest in someone called Ironman.
Ironman was a 1940s throwback to when iron was badass and punching Nazis was the whole point (much like Capt America). I never liked the comics because WWII was already fading when I was a tyke. I was really skeptical that they could update either of those dudes for the 21st century.
Maybe I misunderstood the point you were making, but Iron Man didn't come along until 1963 and has no ties whatsoever to WWII.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:
Iron Man was perfect for the 21st century because of technology.

Captain America, because of how America has changed.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:03 pm
JCC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:29 am My take on the baseball analogy is that Iron Man was a World Series winning double. It was certainly the most *important* successful MCU movie - as they would have been financially devastated and have given up the movie rights to pretty much all of the characters in the MCU had it failed. I still think Iron Man falls into the "good" tier of the Marvel movies. (My tiers are poor, good, great.) But, yes, it was absolutely critical in creating the MCU we all know and love so its relative importance is unquestionably #1. Still doesn't make it even close to the best in my rankings - but it was certainly very good.
Hmmm, a cogent analysis.
I also approve of this analysis.

Although thinking about it more - isn't it more the game-winning double that clinches a playoff spot? I.e. important in a "essential to future success" way?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apollo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:10 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:03 pm
Maybe I misunderstood the point you were making, but Iron Man didn't come along until 1963 and has no ties whatsoever to WWII.
My mistake, then. When I was a kid I lumped him in with Capt America as a has-been -- he was everything we hated about our parents' generation. In reading up on it I see that that was Stan Lee's intention:

"I think I gave myself a dare. It was the height of the Cold War. The readers, the young readers, if there was one thing they hated, it was war, it was the military ... So I got a hero who represented that to the hundredth degree. He was a weapons manufacturer, he was providing weapons for the Army, he was rich, he was an industrialist ... I thought it would be fun to take the kind of character that nobody would like, none of our readers would like, and shove him down their throats and make them like him ... And he became very popular." (Wiki)

I was one of those children of the '60s and Lee succeeded all too well. Iron Man was a throwback and I wanted nothing to do with him.
Liam9654

Post by Liam9654 »

It is curious what the path of the films will be next in marvel. Science fiction and comics are all obvious, I’m talking about the genre, it seems to me that everything will soon be in dark colors like in DS, although in this matter the age limit of the pictures plays no small role. What do you think? :tjg:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »