It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, e

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:A New 52. :wink:
I know, there are 52 Earths in DC. But if we're standing on #1, and there are 52 breaches to other places, that is a New 53.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

#53 could be the Multiversal Nexus.
Moliere

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote:
Odin wrote:I couldn't find a thread dedicated just to The Flash, but I figured this would do.
I started watching this series over the weekend. After 2 episodes of this Smallville remake I realized I could watch the first and last minute of each episode to get the story arc. Everything in the middle was Flash battling someone else in town exposed to a piece of the Kryptonite meteor.
The last few episodes of the season got better when they stopped doing Villain of the Week. Time travel paradoxes aside, I will check out season 2 when it's released.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jag

Post by Jag »

Flash was amazing last night. Easily best episode of the show. Dick Dr. Wells is best Wells.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Legends of Tomorrow, new trailer, now set for January 21st.

Wantsa.
razgon

Post by razgon »

Odin wrote:Okay, I've answered the one about the prisoners. In the penultimate season 1 episode, they tried to relocate them to an ARGUS facility with Snart (Capt. Cold)'s help, but he betrayed them and released all the meta-humans. So that makes sense now.

I still think they writers just forgot about Gideon.
We saw Gideon was removed explicitly in the episode where reverse flash was revealed.
Gone...
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I wouldn't say I'm excited for LoT but will give it a shot. I'm more happy that when it starts Arrow and Flash can focus on their stories rather than setup LoT.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Blackhawk wrote:Legends of Tomorrow, new trailer, now set for January 21st.

Wantsa.
That's a pretty kickass trailer.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wantsa.
That was pretty awesome. I read that there is going to be a two episode Flash/Arrow cross over setting this up the beginning of Dec.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Looks like its going to be fun series. I like how The CW is fully embracing the super hero genre with such unabashed glee.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was listening to Kevin Smith talk about The Flash earlier. He said that there are great shows based on comic books out there, but nowhere has there ever been another show or movie that did a better job of actually feeling like a comic book brought to life than The Flash.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Saw an interesting rumor on Syfy today. Ever since the series Constantine was cancelled by NBC it seems like the CW has been trying to find a way to keep Matt Ryan's portrayal of Constantine alive. He did an episode of The Arrow that was the highest rated ep so far this season. Now theres noise that they want to find a way to add Constantine to the cast of Legends of Tomorrow. So far its just a rumor but I would like to see it happen. I think Ryan did a very good job in the role and wouldnt mind seeing him carry on with it.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

After they stopped trying to revise him for a PC portrayal, Ryan was fantastic as John Constantine. He captured the character far better than I expected from a tv show.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Supergirl has been awarded a full order for season 1.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Odin wrote:Supergirl has been awarded a full order for season 1.
Actually its been given a "shortened" order for the back season episodes. It will run 20 episodes.

From SyFy:
CBS has announced Supergirl will receive a back-seven episode order (which is two short of the traditional “back-nine” order), pulling the first season’s total up to 20 episodes.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Grifman wrote:

Wantsa.
That was pretty awesome. I read that there is going to be a two episode Flash/Arrow cross over setting this up the beginning of Dec.
Tonight!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Good episode last night introducing
Spoiler:
Savage and the Hawk people
. Very dark, but always fun when the entire gang is together. But both secret bases really need to get their locks changed.
Odin

Post by Odin »

A substantial part of both Arrow and Flash this season is devoted to paving the way for Legends of Tomorrow. I can't decide how I feel about that. On the one hand, I like the shared universe and I'm looking forward to LoT. On the other hand, it seems to be a distraction from the primary storylines. I'm enjoying Flash a lot this season. Arrow's getting a bit 'meh' on me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really don't remember a substantial portion of the Flash's second season being dedicated to setting up Legends of Tomorrow. :?
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It has been, but I haven't minded it too much, as it doesn't feel too tacked on (well, maybe Hawk Girl.) Mostly because they aren't introducing many new characters for this. Most of them have been around in the other series for years, some since the beginning, so they're actually fleshed out characters rather than 'guest hero of the week.'
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What have been the story lines dedicated to setting up Legends of Tomorrow? Maybe I just don't know what Legends is going to be about.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote:What have been the story lines dedicated to setting up Legends of Tomorrow? Maybe I just don't know what Legends is going to be about.

Characters, mostly. White Canary, Atom, Captain Cold, Heatwave, Hawk Girl (the new woman Cisco has been dating), and Firestorm are the major players in Legends. Whole episodes have been devoted to getting some of these characters back into action. Rip Hunter, who hasn't been introduced yet (I haven't seen last night's episode.) It will likely all tie in to Barry's time travel stuff, as the impact of changing events (he erased an entire episode's worth of events) has been a staple in Flash comics, and may be what drew the attention of Hunter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

New Batman V Superman trailer.

Well, that... complicates things. Now at least we know how the fight ends. Trailer spoiler:
Spoiler:
Doomsday!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That trailer lowered my expectations quite a bit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

McNutt wrote:That trailer lowered my expectations quite a bit.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm glad it looks so bad. If I go in expecting trash then I might be pleasantly surprised.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Remember when I said Jesse Eisenberg was an inspired choice for Lex Luther?

I was wrong.

Lex Luther is not a prancing fool. He's a calculated genius who doesn't act like a cross between Mark Zuckerberg and Ace Ventura.
He won. Period.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Im not sure a few seconds of Lex playing the fool is definitive of what the character is actually going to be, at least I hope not. Other than that, I thought the trailer was decent. I still dont think this is going to measure up to the best of what Marvel has done but I think it will be entertaining and worth seeing.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote:Lex Luther is not a prancing fool. He's a calculated genius who doesn't act like a cross between Mark Zuckerberg and Ace Ventura.
I don't know a thing about the comics, but I've always thought of Luthor as a serious person and your description of Eisenberg's take on him was spot on. At least from what I can tell.

This movie looks like it will suffer from too many characters. I know DC wants spin offs in a bad way and feel they need to shoehorn in characters just to get a Marvel-esque movie universe started. This looks like a bad way to do it.

I'm not a fan of the humor and the action shots have me worried that Snyder didn't learn his lesson from the last movie and will again bore me with fight scenes that are an hour longer than necessary.

Less is more sometimes. The previous trailers gave me hope that this was their new approach. I guess not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

rshetts2 wrote:Im not sure a few seconds of Lex playing the fool is definitive of what the character is actually going to be, at least I hope not.
Even a few seconds of that performance is enough to taint the character for me. Luther is not comical. At all. It would be like having a giant POW sign appear above a punch thrown by Batman. Even if it only happens once, it sets the tone for any other scene involving that character.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

How do you feel about the Gene Hackman portrayal? I loved that one. Funny, but not goofy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hackman wasn't even that silly. Of course, Ned Beatty was added to the mix in order to appeal to the kiddies with silliness. And that was also a different time in comic book films. Before Frank Miller and Alan Moore showed us that the genre could be more adult (although I'm sure there's quite a few others who tried, those two names spring to mind immediately).

I'm being a bit unfair, I'm sure. I know there was a golden age comics version of Luther that was silly. But my idea of what a Lex Luther should be like comes from the excellent animated DC series of shows and films, as well as the portrayals of the character from the last two or three decades.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

OTISBURG?!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

McNutt wrote:That trailer lowered my expectations quite a bit.
Mine were already pretty low, but I got zero chills or thrills watching it. I'm totally stoked for the new Captain America and I'm cautiously optimistically excited about the new Star Wars. I'm totally meh about this movie. And yeah, I already hate the portrayal of Lex Luthor.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I really liked that last scene with WW showing up.

The rest of it was... fine? I'm glad they showed some actual dialogue, since the script has always been the weak point of Zack Snyder films. On the other hand, the dialogue they showed didn't exactly blow me away. On the other other hand, you can't really judge the quality of a script based on a few out-of-context snippets from a trailer. So I guess what I'm saying is that I have no idea what I think and I should probably just wait for some actual reviews to come out next year.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Supergirl has actually been getting a good bit better. They revealed a major DC hero in the most recent episode, which was pretty cool (although the CGI wasn't great.)
Spoiler:
A major character was revealed to be J'onn J'onzz (aka Martian Manhunter) in disguise the whole time.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Damn, but I love Wentworth Miller as Snart.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah he's excellent. Overall, though, I gotta say I'm getting really tired of the "oh I've got a secret and I'm so sorry I've kept it from you!" plots in The Flash. And that episode needed way more Mark Hamill as Trickster. He was much better in his last appearance.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

cheeba wrote:Yeah he's excellent. Overall, though, I gotta say I'm getting really tired of the "oh I've got a secret and I'm so sorry I've kept it from you!" plots in The Flash.
Well, that's kind of what you buy into when you watch a CW drama. Nobody telling anybody anything.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire