It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, e

Post by AWS260 »

hentzau wrote:Why was Dibny wearing Plastic Man's costume?
Because for many years Elongated Man's costume looked like a more-modest version of Plastic Man's.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

AWS260 wrote:
hentzau wrote:Why was Dibny wearing Plastic Man's costume?
Because for many years Elongated Man's costume looked like a more-modest version of Plastic Man's.
I just remember the purple one.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

So I'm watching the season premier of Legends and trying to reconcile time shifts between this show and Flash, especially with the ending reveal(s), Its all in the same universe, so what are the time bending rules?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unclarifiied. I get the confusion.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

What happened to Snart? I loved his character...I stopped watching the show about 7 episodes into the first season. Was disappointed to not see him on the show.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote:What happened to Snart? I loved his character...I stopped watching the show about 7 episodes into the first season. Was disappointed to not see him on the show.
Big spoilers...
Spoiler:
Became a hero, sacrificed himself for the greater good, and died a comic book death. Which means he'll be back sooner or later. Can't have a Flash without the Rogues!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure I can go back to Legends. I only find about 5 minutes out of each episode enjoyable. Flash at least has closer to 15.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have to admit, I really didn't enjoy the first episode of this season of LoT. But I'm trying to give it a chance. I'll watch at least a couple of them.

And I am disappointed that between this and the Flash, they don't seem to be following the same rules concerning Time Travel. But maybe they're doing this on purpose...the differences in time travel may be the impetus that brings everyone together for their big team up episode.

Flash is still my favorite, with Supergirl running a close second. I loved all of the callbacks to Superman: The Motion Picture in the season opener. Loved Kat Grant shouting out "Miss Teschmacher!!!" Caught me completely by surprise. My kids had no idea what I was laughing about.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: And I am disappointed that between this and the Flash, they don't seem to be following the same rules concerning Time Travel. But maybe they're doing this on purpose...the differences in time travel may be the impetus that brings everyone together for their big team up episode.
I have been expecting that since the first episode of each.

You have a guy who screwed around and broke time.

You have a group of guys whose job is to fix time.

How can they not intersect?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This season of the Flash has so far been a bit disappointing. It just has seemed more disjointed story-wise than before; I think all the different timelines has just made stuff confusing, at least to me. On the plus side, Alchemy seems pretty baller.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:On the plus side, Alchemy seems pretty baller.
Yeah, those Enclave guys are scary.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've also already figured out that the British CSI guy working with Barry is evil:
Spoiler:
He didn't wear gloves while conducting his DNA tests!
Black Lives Matter
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I forgot.about the big crossover, so maybe that IS where the time travel issues will be addressed.

About Supergirl: in just the season premier they managed to give.me the Superman character i can like.As i said in other threads, maybe the problem.with the movies is my vision of the character is not.relating to what the producers had in mind. I did enjoy all the 1978 movie call backs i caught.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont watch tv but I watch bits and pieces and clips online of stuff. I saw the one where sups and supsfemale join up and save the spaceship. I like that he seems sorta nerdish and totally humble. He goes to talk to the norms watching and stuff instead of simply flying away. Its like he is grateful to be among them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I forgot the main reason I wanted to start watching LoT again, was to see how they were going to handle the Justice Society. I'll need to try and watch that one this weekend now.

Man, I am so far behind on my TV right now...
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Legends of Tomorrow seems a convoluted mess right now. Then again, this season of The Flash kind of does as well.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I've also already figured out that the British CSI guy working with Barry is evil:
Spoiler:
You do know that's Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

sgoldj wrote:I forgot.about the big crossover, so maybe that IS where the time travel issues will be addressed.

About Supergirl: in just the season premier they managed to give.me the Superman character i can like.As i said in other threads, maybe the problem.with the movies is my vision of the character is not.relating to what the producers had in mind. I did enjoy all the 1978 movie call backs i caught.
I agree about Superman.. I liked the TV one much better than the movie one. In the movies he seems very standoffish/gritty and that is Batman's job... Doesn't really seem to be down to earth like Superman is supposed to be.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree. It is a longstanding concept that Bruce Wayne is Batman's disguise, while Superman is Clark Kent's disguise. Superman is always Clark Kent, not the other way around. Superman should be written and played as a Kansas farm boy, not as a troubled emo adult.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jag wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I've also already figured out that the British CSI guy working with Barry is evil:
Spoiler:
You do know that's Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter.
:o
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Im not really finding much in Arrow to like this season so far. They have pretty much deconstructed everything they have built over the last 2 or 3 seasons and are trying way too hard to get back to season one's feel. Its a hard reboot that is just not working. Like Diggle for example. He quits team Arrow because of family and his newly born child and promptly signs up for military duty and is now doing covert black ops in foreign countries, separating him from his family and putting him in even more danger. Oh and if I were the Arrow I would covertly destroy the statue of Laurel/Black Canary out of sheer respect for her memory, I mean that thing is seriously fugly. All I can say is Arrow, you have failed this network!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Newsarama reports that Young Justice is coming back for a third season 8-)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait...what???

The animated series?

<crosses fingers>

edit: Whoo hoo!
He won. Period.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hepcat wrote:Wait...what???

The animated series?

<crosses fingers>
Yes, yes! So excited. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How about a Green Lantern / Planet of the Apes crossover comic mini-series?

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote:I agree. It is a longstanding concept that Bruce Wayne is Batman's disguise, while Superman is Clark Kent's disguise. Superman is always Clark Kent, not the other way around. Superman should be written and played as a Kansas farm boy, not as a troubled emo adult.
Agreed, because of his parents, Superman is the most human of any alien/super hero. Of course, it didn't help that the movie made the Kents out to be bitter selfish people, more worried about what the world could do to their son, rather than what he could do for the world.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Grifman wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I agree. It is a longstanding concept that Bruce Wayne is Batman's disguise, while Superman is Clark Kent's disguise. Superman is always Clark Kent, not the other way around. Superman should be written and played as a Kansas farm boy, not as a troubled emo adult.
Agreed, because of his parents, Superman is the most human of any alien/super hero. Of course, it didn't help that the movie made the Kents out to be realists in a modern world, worried about what the world would likely, and in large part does to their son, while knowing what he could and probably would do for the world.
FTFY
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Kents have never been realists. Pragmatic idealists, maybe, but changing them (and thus Superman) just because its the way some modern people are is like making Batman an optimist, just because. It is a shift that alters the fundamental nature of the character.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Blackhawk wrote:The Kents have never been realists. Pragmatic idealists, maybe, but changing them (and thus Superman) just because its the way some modern people are is like making Batman an optimist, just because. It is a shift that alters the fundamental nature of the character.
Sure, but comics do that sometimes have done that. Batman did the reverse in the 90s.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:The Kents have never been realists. Pragmatic idealists, maybe, but changing them (and thus Superman) just because its the way some modern people are is like making Batman an optimist, just because. It is a shift that alters the fundamental nature of the character.
Sure, but comics do that sometimes have done that. Batman did the reverse in the 90s.
Of course they have. They have also made Superman a red communist, an evil god and a dictator. What people are talking about is the standard. The truth, justice and the american way, Superman. Thats the flagship Superman, the rest is just variation for fun. Batman OTOH has a very strange pedigree, one that is all over the map. They have seemed to settle into the dark brooding Batman as the standard but dont forget that in the 60's a very different Batman was very popular. Batman and Superman have followed very different paths, and while people have come to accept dark brooding Batman, emo Superman is just a bit too much for a lot of fans.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's true, but that (Batman '66) was right in the heart of the Comics Code era, when every character that stayed in ink was vastly different.

Still, I get your point.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

In the book "The Caped Crusade" Glenn Weldon makes the argument that Batman has followed a cyclical cycle over the decades of grim and gritty, downright murderous, and then goofy and campy. Says that it's happened at least 3 times in the run of the comic.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I would say that outside of red kryptonite stories, Batman does have the most variations of character, especially with the elseworlds books. There was a pretty clever rift on interpretations of the Batman character as being valid in a Bat-Mite episode of Brave and the Bold. The section I am thinking of took place at a comic convention and the audience was populated with as many variations of Batman as I could remember. As I recall, it was the writer (Dini, I think) addressing the internet about a goofier take and the OUTRAGE.

For me, the modern take on Batman really started before the end of the TV series, the books got a little less goofy then. Really took hold when O'Neil and Adams took the books, then led up to Miller a decade plus later.

Now to decide when to rewatch Young Justice so I am fresh for season 3
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote:a cyclical cycle
Someone get this man a thesaurus.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:
hentzau wrote:a cyclical cycle
Someone get this man a thesaurus.
And a proofreader.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Did it look to anyone else that the hanger used to train in the crossover looked very much like the "Hall of Justice"?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Absolutely. Laughed right outloud when I saw it.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

It was nearly a perfect replica of the Hall of Justice. That was the best part of both The Flash and Arrow this season.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't watch the other shows so I'm guessing I wasn't the target audience for the crossover Flash episode, but it was just bad. Even so, I decided to check out The Arrow for the first time in order to see the story through and that was even worse. There were just complete leaps of logic without explanation (just one example - they went from slightly recognizing that something was off with their perceived reality to immediately understanding that they were being fooled by the aliens) and the ultimate Deus ex machina ending. I don't know if that's how the writing normally is for The Arrow, but it certainly didn't make me want to check out the normal episodes. I didn't even bother watching the League of Legends finale to the arc.

I'm sure some people enjoyed it, but I'll be glad when the Flash returns to its normal episodes next week.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I don't watch the other shows so I'm guessing I wasn't the target audience for the crossover Flash episode, but it was just bad. Even so, I decided to check out The Arrow for the first time in order to see the story through and that was even worse. There were just complete leaps of logic without explanation (just one example - they went from slightly recognizing that something was off with their perceived reality to immediately understanding that they were being fooled by the aliens) and the ultimate Deus ex machina ending. I don't know if that's how the writing normally is for The Arrow, but it certainly didn't make me want to check out the normal episodes. I didn't even bother watching the League of Legends finale to the arc.

I'm sure some people enjoyed it, but I'll be glad when the Flash returns to its normal episodes next week.
It was fun for fans of all of the shows, just to see them all together but you are absolutely correct, it was a terrible story with horrible writing. I will say its was not representative of the individual shows and I think they felt that the fan geek-gasm over seeing all of the heroes together would obscure just how terrible the story actually was. I enjoyed it but it was hard to overlook just how bad the story was.
As far as the individual shows, The Arrow in particular had lost its way over the past few seasons. This season has been better although it has still had its problems. I really like the Flash. They have had some difficulties due to biting off a bit more than they can chew with the Flashpoint paradox but they have done a decent job with it. Supergirl is goofy but absolutely worth is for the cast and most especially for Melissa Benoist, who is perfect for the role. Legends is a show that you absolutely have to check your brain at the door and just enjoy it for what it is. Its far from perfect but it does have its moments.