It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, e

Post by rshetts2 »

This "secret" for Iris wasnt bad as far as secrets go. I mean she only knew for a couple of weeks and she took a bit of time to process, before she came to the correct conclusion. Kind of like what people do in real life. The one that bothers me is the Barry/Patty dynamic. Just frikkin tell her and get it over with. There is absolutely zero reason to hide his identity from her and about 1000 good reasons to tell her. Hiding your identity from your girlfriend seems kind of stupid when half the city including selected villains know who you are.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

hentzau wrote:
cheeba wrote:Yeah he's excellent. Overall, though, I gotta say I'm getting really tired of the "oh I've got a secret and I'm so sorry I've kept it from you!" plots in The Flash.
Well, that's kind of what you buy into when you watch a CW drama. Nobody telling anybody anything.
WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT SOONER?!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting. They've confirmed that they're doing a crossover between Flash and Supergirl. The shows are made by the same folks, but are on different networks (CW and CBS.)

Storywise, I'm not sure how that could work. I'm going to guess that Supergirl would have to be one of the alternate Earths they're dealing with in The Flash, since one show has established that Superman has been around well over a decade and aliens are a regular thing, while the other had no super powers until the events leading up to The Flash.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DC/Warner may be listening. Warner has ordered reshoots of some scenes in Suicide Squad to add more of the humor that we saw in the trailers (which supposedly contained the majority of the film's jokes.)

While I can't say I like the idea of retroactively changing the tone of a film once it is finished (Peter Jackson, I'm looking at you and the way LotR got steadily more silly with each film), it does suggest that they're aware that BVS's success is a one-time gimme driven by loyalty, and that they'll have to earn the viewers for the rest of their franchise with better films that people want to see instead of just following one man's vision.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:Interesting. They've confirmed that they're doing a crossover between Flash and Supergirl. The shows are made by the same folks, but are on different networks (CW and CBS.)

Storywise, I'm not sure how that could work. I'm going to guess that Supergirl would have to be one of the alternate Earths they're dealing with in The Flash, since one show has established that Superman has been around well over a decade and aliens are a regular thing, while the other had no super powers until the events leading up to The Flash.
ding ding ding
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: (Peter Jackson, I'm looking at you and the way LotR got steadily more silly with each film)
I have never heard that complaint before. What got sillier?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: (Peter Jackson, I'm looking at you and the way LotR got steadily more silly with each film)
I have never heard that complaint before. What got sillier?
The standout was Super Legolas. Each one had him doing more and more ridiculous things. They shot most of the material for all three films, but from what I've read there was extra material shot between them, and post production on each was tweaked based on audience reaction for the prior films. People loved some of the cool moves he pulled off in Fellowship. That led to bits like Helm's Deep stair surfing Legolas in Towers, which led to elephant surfing Legolas in Return.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, those two scenes I do remember as being a bit silly, I will admit. However, I don't think Jackson added much more than that...although the friendship between Gimli and Legalos felt a little too Bob Hope and Bing Crosby at times. Still, I didn't think it was too ridiculous.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How about the taking the elf-dwarf love thing even further in The Hobbit, complete with even more Flying WaLegolas?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It still surprises me that the extended cut of the last one is rated R. To me, the Hobbit films were more of a family film than LotR. The badly animated, rabbit drawn sled; the forced romance, the seven dwarves based on the seven dwarves, etc..
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:How about the taking the elf-dwarf love thing even further in The Hobbit, complete with even more Flying WaLegolas?
Legolas!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I finally got caught up on Supergirl and Flash (I still am behind like 5 episodes of Legends of Tomorrow).

Man, that Supergirl/Flash crossover was just about perfect. It felt in almost every way like a Silver Age "Worlds Finest" comic book. It was outside of continuity for The Flash, which is fine, but I do hope they make some reference to it in an episode of the Flash in the future.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It feels like it was aired out of order. The very next day's episode of The Flash had him
Spoiler:
travelling back in time to get the tech behind the tachyon deal that Reverse Flash uses - and which Flash was wearing early in the Supergirl episode.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Regarding the last Arrow, Episode "Eleven-Fifty-Nine".
Spoiler:
Wow. Did not see that coming at all. Surprising since even the producers didn't know who was going to die until mid-season. They just wanted a major character death this season. Arrow fans are in an uproar since the character is so central to the Green Arrow mythos. I wasn't a huge fan, so it doesn't bother me as much.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I thought last night's episode was extraordinarily bland for an episode with a major character death.
Spoiler:
I wasn't a huge fan of the shows version of Canary either, her ability to suddenly learn how to fight like a vigilante over the course of a year really seemed unrealistic (I know it's a comic book show) and the way she posed when she did the Canary Cry always annoyed the shit out of me. To me she was easily the weakest member of team Arrow.

Add in the fact that this year's flashback sequence is boring and has been way too drawn out and you have an episode that made me wish Arrow would learn some things from Daredevil
Arrow has been going downhill since season 2 and I don't see any signs of it getting better. The Flash has out shined it by far and then comparing it to what Daredevil has been able to do is just night and day.
FTE
Jag

Post by Jag »

Scraper wrote:Arrow has been going downhill since season 2 and I don't see any signs of it getting better. The Flash has out shined it by far and then comparing it to what Daredevil has been able to do is just night and day.
I agree. The first 2 seasons were fantastic. Maybe this is a way to get back to their roots or maybe they have decided to just ship Olicity (can't believe I just said those last 2 words).

I have to admit the rage on twitter, reddit and other fan sites is amusing.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I laugh at all of the fan rage over that characters death on Arrow. They cure death on that show faster than the common cold and if they dont want to cure it they can just grab another version from Earth 2 or 3 or whatever Earth is convenient.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just do me a favor and spoiler details about who died. I can't actually sit down and watch that episode until next week when the kids are here.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Blackhawk wrote:Just do me a favor and spoiler details about who died. I can't actually sit down and watch that episode until next week when the kids are here.
Yeah I made sure to spoiler everything about the episode. Just stay far away from fansites and Reddit :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Without spoilers, is there anything at all linking this week's Flash with this week's Arrow, or can I watch them out of order?

/edit - nevermind, no Flash this week.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The trailer was released today for the R-rated animated Killing Joke film. It looks great, and is one of my favorite Batman stories.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

R? I can understand a pg 13, but an R? :?
It's gotta be due to violence. But even then it seems a bit extreme.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote:R? I can understand a pg 13, but an R? :?
It's gotta be due to violence. But even then it seems a bit extreme.
Its called Deadpooling.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing the Deadpool stuff will be coming from The Joker.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be fair, the Joker was pretty nasty in that comic. The kidnapping and torture, the photos they show the torture victim - they'd have to really prune the comic to get PG13 with some of that.

I mean, major spoilers, but:
Spoiler:
Joker gut-shot Barbara Gordon, stripped her, took decidedly lewd photos of her bleeding out on the ground naked, and then used those images to torment her father.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It sounds like they won't be tiptoeing around Supes in Supergirl anymore. They just announced that they are casting the role, which means a real, talking Superman.

It also makes me wonder if the shakeups in the film department have loosened the restrictions on characters in the shows. That could mean good things for the Arrowverse.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote: That could mean good things for the Arrowverse.
Thats good because there hasnt been good things in the Arrowverse for 2 years.

Its going to be interesting to see what they do with Superman on the show as I doubt that Cavill will be making an appearance. That makes me believe that they still plan on keeping the DC movie-verse and the DC tv-verse totally separate. I also feel like the movie division has no love at all for Arrow. The stars of the show keep taking shots at the movie verse and are acting petulant that DC feels they dont have the chops to be part of the movie scene. I doubt that their outspoken campaign has endeared them to the powers that be and to be honest I agree with the movie people. Amell is simply not a very good actor. He passable for TV and he has improved over the years but any scene where he has to show any range of emotion totally exposes him. Unfortunately his stigma has carried over to The Flash and I believe unlike Amell, Grant Gustin could do justice to the character in a movie.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Of all the things I object to in the DC-movieverse, keeping it separate from the DC-TVverse is not one.

Flash(TV) has already established multiverse and dopplegangers, so I don't get the "confusion" issue.
The Movieverse is so different from the TVverse in tone and direction, Amell and Gustin would have to play completely different characters with the same name. I'm not saying they couldn't, just that playing in the Movieverse with the same actors/characters/changed personalities would be more confusing to me than the whole Multiverse concept.

Aside.. I've blamed a lot of the Movieverse characterizations on what was happening in the comics with the New 52. Now that rebirth is planned to change some of the dourness, I hope it's reflected in the movies as well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

rshetts2 wrote:
I'd argue that The Flash has been a good thing in the Arrowverse.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
I'd argue that The Flash has been a good thing in the Arrowverse.
And I would argue that The Flash is part of the DC Tv-verse not the Arrowverse but I get what youre saying. If it wasnt for the early success of Arrow, The Flash would most likely never have happened.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

"Arrowverse" has become the accepted name for the universe that Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, even Constantine share.
Odin

Post by Odin »

msteelers wrote:"Arrowverse" has become the accepted name for the universe that Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, even Constantine share.
This is my understanding as well.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its a fan created name and not official but whatever, at this point we are just splitting hairs. I will amend my comment from "Arrowverse" to "Arrow" if that makes you all feel happy. Frikkin nerds. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is worth mentioning that, on Arrow, this is the first time since season 2 that they've been completely free to focus on telling their own stories instead of spending significant time launching spin-offs. Hell, half of last season was Legends of Tomorrow setups.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and I'm going to make a complete guess here about one of three characters the villain will be. Potentially spoilers if I'm right:
Spoiler:
Tommy Merlyn
Shado
Yao Fei
They all fit the criteria, although I think the last is the most likely (and would be the most interesting.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mild possible villain spoiler for Justice League and the solo Batman film:
Spoiler:
Deathstroke
is appearing in Justice League, and there are strong indications that he will be the villain in the Batman film.

I'm happy. He's an awesome villain.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Blackhawk wrote:Mild possible villain spoiler for Justice League and the solo Batman film:
Spoiler:
Deathstroke
is appearing in Justice League, and there are strong indications that he will be the villain in the Batman film.

I'm happy. He's an awesome villain.
Spoiler:
That's great. I'm quite partial to this scene from Identity Crisis:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Been a long time since I've read Identity Crisis. Why was Dibny wearing Plastic Man's costume?

And I've never equated the villain in the spoiler as a Batman villain. But, I'll take it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I ended up in the arrow subreddit the other day. The gnashing of teeth about the direction of the show starting at the halfway point of S3 was pretty entertaining.

Their two Top posts are a Daredevil series thread and a picture of the Agents of Shield cast.
It's almost as if people are the problem.