It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by Blackhawk »

Green Arrow : This whole trip might just prove the kid shouldn't eat nachos before bed.

The Question : Peanut butter sandwiches.

Supergirl : How did... What, do you go through my trash?

The Question : Please. I go through everyone's trash.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Harley Quinn where have you been my whole life? Just started the series on HBO Max and it's just brilliant! I love their depiction of Bane and watching the friendship and banter between Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn. I hope it gets a third season.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I understand it's been a huge hit for them. It'll likely move to HBO Max.

Also, tomorrow is the DC Fandome, they're online convention. Expect all sorts of announcements and trailers.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Oh man, Harley Quinn has the best crew ever!

And emotionally broken Commissioner Gordon is hysterical!

Let the bingeing continue! (before the family comes back)

Queen of Fables is one scary character :shock:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s all about Dr. Psycho and Bane. I could listen to the former spew insults all day long, and watch the latter get bullied by the other super villains all night. :wub:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched the first episode of Harley Quinn tonight based on this thread, and nearly turned it off because of all the profanity. I'm certainly no prude, but when any show (or game, or whatever) has to drop four-letter words every 10 seconds just to show that they're "not made for kids" it just becomes distracting and annoying.

I'll give it a few more episodes because I like the characters.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’re EXACTLY where I was after the first episode. I hated it. I thought it was a bottom barrel Deadpool knockoff. But I gave it a second chance...and realized I was horribly wrong. In some ways, it’s even better than Deadpool. It’s far more subversive for the world of comic books. By the time they introduce Dr. Psycho in one of the most hilariously awkward intros I’ve ever seen for a supervillain, you’ll be hooked. Trust me.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

If it was just a bunch of f-bombs and gruesome cartoonish violence I would have been unimpressed but the comedic timing is on par with Archer and there's a surprising emotional depth to quite a few episodes...There's also an episode with pixilated crotches but that was an essential part of the episode.

I'm sure there's no shortage of things to watch, YK, but stick with a few more. Just not around the little ones...
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There will be lots of bits dropping today. I'm going to dump a few odds and ends in here rather than having a hundred threads.

The new Flash suit from the Ezra Miller film. They apparently listened to everybody saying that the red stealth tech armored Flash wasn't great.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Another piece of concept art for the new Miller Flash costume. Someone made an interesting observation about the Batman in the shot.

Spoiler:
That's not Affleck (who will be playing Batman in it), that's Keaton.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Season 7 teaser
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't worry. The DC convention will be over soon. ;)

A few more tidbits:

~Titans season 3 will move to Gotham, and will include Red Hood, Scarecrow, and Barbara Gordon. Barbara will be taking a page from Batman Beyond, and will be the police commissioner after having retired as Batgirl.

~Black Adam will include Atom Smasher, Doctor Fate, and Hawkman.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DC Universe going comics-only on January 21st.
After months of speculation, DC made the announcement official on Friday morning. All of the series such as Titans, Harley Quinn, Stargirl season 1, and so on will be moving to HBO Max as their new streaming home. All of the comics will continue to reside in their own app which will be rebranded as DC Universe Infinite on Jan. 21, 2021.

The new service will cost $7.99 a month or $74.99 for an annual membership. Those of you that are current members, if you stay on for the transition you will receive a voucher for credit in the DC store. $10 for monthly members and $25 for annual members. The vouchers will be delivered on Feb. 1, 2021.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't have time for all this comic TV goodness (and that's AFTER bailing on Arrowverse) -- there are just too many good video games to play. I need to hurry up and retire.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's the same price as the current service that includes videos. So that's kind of shitty, if you ask me. However, I'm happy that they're keeping the service alive for comic books. The 25 dollars off for annual subscribers is nice too.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Well, I guess come Feb I get to save some money by canceling.
I've only hit the comics a few times and not enough to pay for a subscription. I've been mostly using it for the video stuff. Even if they didn't create anything new I'd probably still stick around for a bit to watch the old shows
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:56 am That's the same price as the current service that includes videos.
That occurred to me, too. They're adding offline access, putting new stuff up earlier, and adding online-only titles (which isn't surprising given the heavy restructuring that's been going on in the comics arm), so at least they're adding some extra value.

What I really want to know is whether HBO Max will also be streaming all of the other, older DC series. I still want to finish the animated universe stuff (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, etc.)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm OK with paying $7.99 for comics only assuming they add those extra features. It's still cheaper than Marvel Unlimited.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe Marvel Unlimited is a little cheaper for the annual subscription. 69.99 it appears. Granted, that's only about 5 bucks less, and they offer a cheaper monthly sub than Marvel (which is odd pricing), but I had hoped they'd reduce the annual sub for the loss of all that video content.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:00 pm What I really want to know is whether HBO Max will also be streaming all of the other, older DC series. I still want to finish the animated universe stuff (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, etc.)
Ditto. I would love to finish my rewatch of the Legion of Superheroes series (an underrated and excellent show, by the way) and the Justice League.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I was about to come back and post that correction. I didn't think about it because I never do the annual sub because I'm so off and on with my comic reading. I'll go nuts over it for a couple of months then read nothing for a couple, rinse repeat.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know, the more that I think about it, the more I realize I'm being ridiculous. Back when I used to buy comics, I would routinely spend 20 to 30 bucks a month on comics without fail. 7.99 a month (or 6.50 or so for annual) is still a significant saving. I think the low pricing of digital media has skewed my sense of proportion.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Batwoman first look:
Leslie will lead Batwoman season two following the May exit of original star Ruby Rose. Season two will see Ryan Wilder initially don the suit worn by Kate Kane (Rose), but later she will redesign the suit for her own purposes.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In other news, they just announced yesterday that the next season of Black Lightning would be the last. It's a shame. The storytelling in BL was better than most of the Arrowverse shows has been lately.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:In other news, they just announced yesterday that the next season of Black Lightning would be the last. It's a shame. The storytelling in BL was better than most of the Arrowverse shows has been lately.
Oh no, that really sucks. Meanwhile The Flash figures out more ways for Barry to break the speed force...again.
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:33 am
Blackhawk wrote:In other news, they just announced yesterday that the next season of Black Lightning would be the last. It's a shame. The storytelling in BL was better than most of the Arrowverse shows has been lately.
Oh no, that really sucks. Meanwhile The Flash figures out more ways for Barry to break the speed force...again.
FWIW, pretty much all of the Flash cast contracts run out after this coming season. Grant Gustin has said he'd like to continue, but CW seems to be wanting to refresh their lineup (new Batwoman, just acquired Stargirl, the new Superman/Lois show coming up.)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:33 am
FWIW, pretty much all of the Flash cast contracts run out after this coming season. Grant Gustin has said he'd like to continue, but CW seems to be wanting to refresh their lineup (new Batwoman, just acquired Stargirl, the new Superman/Lois show coming up.)
I stopped watching The Flash maybe 1-2 seasons ago. I liked all the characters but it really has gone beyond its expiration date and the writing is kind of stale. The relevance of Black Lightning to the social issues of the day was one of the big draws. Episode 1 of the first season set the standard and let you know that it's not gonna be your regular superhero show and the incorporation of racial issues wasn't like watching an afterschool special.

Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't disagree. I still watch The Flash because I love the characters (well, some of the characters) and the DC universe, but the stories have absolutely gone nowhere lately. I love Black Lightning. Contrast it with Supergirl on how to address real-world social issues. Black Lightning writes good stories in which those issues play a central role. Supergirl offers up bland stories and then gives a motivational speech about the issue that makes me cringe even though I agree with the idea they're trying to present. Batwoman is absolutely set to be the next 'issues' show, with a black lesbian as the lead. Hopefully they go the Black Lightning route and not the Supergirl route.

With that said, I do hope they don't make every one of their shows into a social issues platform.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 am I don't disagree. I still watch The Flash because I love the characters (well, some of the characters) and the DC universe, but the stories have absolutely gone nowhere lately. I love Black Lightning. Contrast it with Supergirl on how to address real-world social issues. Black Lightning writes good stories in which those issues play a central role. Supergirl offers up bland stories and then gives a motivational speech about the issue that makes me cringe even though I agree with the idea they're trying to present. Batwoman is absolutely set to be the next 'issues' show, with a black lesbian as the lead. Hopefully they go the Black Lightning route and not the Supergirl route.

With that said, I do hope they don't make every one of their shows into a social issues platform.
Yeah, it wasn’t the social issues which turned me off of Supergirl. Lesbian and trans identity need more representation on popular media. But it’s the ham fisted way it’s presented.

I do enjoy when such issues crop up in Legends of Tomorrow. I think the Sarah/Ava relationship is a real joy to watch along with the Muslim characters who are fully realized characters vs just being one dimensional.
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know how I missed it, but while Black Lightning may be ending, they have announced a Painkiller spinoff. That makes me happy - I really liked Khalil's character, and it would give them a chance to carry on some of the Jeffereson kids' stories.

They've also announced a Wonder Girl series (apparently a different Wonder Girl from the one on Titans, a Brazilian Amazon that I don't know anything about), and a show based on Naomi, about which I know the following:
Spoiler:
There is a character named Naomi. I think.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DC Universe Infinite
DC Universe, which was once home to comics, movies and TV shows, will soon become a subscription-based comic book platform under the name 'DC Universe Infinite'
DC Comics' streaming platform 'DC Universe Infinite' will be launched on January 21, 2021. The monthly subscription for the comics-only digital platform will be $7.99 whereas the cost of its annual membership will be $74.99. There has been no change in the membership costs of DC Universe Infinite as it's the same as DC Universe. However, if one converts to an Infinite membership or subscribes to the upcoming platform during its pre-ordering window, they will receive a voucher that can be redeemed in any DC Shops for merchandise.
Join page
HE COUNTDOWN TO THE NEXT GREAT ERA OF DC UNIVERSE BEGINS...
DON'T MISS THE EVOLUTION INTO DC UNIVERSE INFINITE.

Immerse yourself in a comic universe of legendary proportions. Join today, and stay for the transition to DC Universe Infinite and become eligible for up to $25 in vouchers redeemable at the DC Shop after DC Universe Infinite launches.**
The promo code entitles the subscriber to a discount of up to $10.00 for monthly subscribers, or $25.00 for annual subscribers, towards their purchase at the DC Shop, subject to voucher terms.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I renewed my dc sub for the year...then got a marvel sub when they offered a discount for the holidays. Now I have an embarrassing amount of reading to catch up on. :oops:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ha! You fell for that sucker's trap too, hepcat?

I did the same exact thing. Now I'm struggling each night to figure out whether to read several hundred issues of Batman, several thousand issues of Marvel stuff, or my 50+ ebook backlog. :grund:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m about to dive into the new Swamp Thing. I’m a sucker for that character. I’m still trying to figure out what Marvel series aren’t so drastically altered at this point as to be totally unrecognizable by my old self.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Video games, TV, painting, board games, comic books, novels, non-fiction reading. There just isn't enough time for all the things I use to waste time!

Speaking of which, Michelle got me Batman 386 for Christmas! I've had my eye on it for a while.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Quick question... I've been watching season 1 of Batwoman and enjoying it. I just got the teaser for crisis on infinite earths. I don't give a damn about the crossover or any of the other CW DC shows. Can I safely skip the crisis episode and continue my Batwoman journey with the following episode or is there anything important to Kate's storyline in the crossover eps?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I honestly don't remember.

Although Crisis is probably the best run of episodes of any of the shows, even if you don't follow the connected stuff.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:48 pm I honestly don't remember.

Although Crisis is probably the best run of episodes of any of the shows, even if you don't follow the connected stuff.
Dammit BH, you were my one hope! Damn crossovers. OK I guess I am watching them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will say this: The events of Crisis resulted in changes to the universe itself. I don't remember how deeply those changes impacted this particular show, but some shows changed completely. I'll give the basic gist if you really want to skip Crisis:
Spoiler:
Kate became the there were infinite worlds, some of which represented different shows. Black Lightning, Supergirl, and Arrow/Flash/Batwoman/Legend were each on separate worlds (they also showed Batman '66 (sort of), Batman '89, Titans, Stargirl, and others.) After the events of the Crisis, those worlds were collapsed and a new multiverse was created (sort of, they're kind of vague there.) The point being that multiple alternate universes were merged, meaning that some characters might actually be a different universe's version of that character, or characters that died might be back with differences, or characters that were alive might be dead, or characters might have different memories.