[AMC] Better Call Saul

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: [AMC] Better Call Saul

Post by McNutt »

RunningMn9 wrote:
McNutt wrote:I see Chuck as having tried to be a mentor for Jimmy.
Are you crazy? Chuck played his roll in creating Jimmy. Yes, Chuck got Jimmy the job in the mail room. But Chuck is also the one that kept Jimmy in the mail room, because he couldn't accept that he and Jimmy were both attorneys. Jimmy tried (oh my god, did he try, he tried all the time...). Had Chuck actually been mentoring Jimmy, he had a chance to alter the course of things. Show Jimmy how to do it right. Show him how to use the reputation of HHM to his advantage. Instead, Jimmy was cast out and left to his own devices - and in that world, Jimmy can only succeed by being Jimmy.

Chuck is an insufferable asshole.
This is insanity. Why would HHM hire an amoral con artist with a correspondence law degree??? Because it's Chuck's brother? Chuck knows better than to hire Jimmy and everything on this show has proven that to be a wise decision.

Saying Chuck kept Jimmy in the mail room is like saying IBM is keeping you at Subway because they didn't hire you. Chuck should not hire Jimmy as a lawyer. I can't believe that anyone who watches the show would think otherwise. That's like being pissed at the family member who doesn't give the deadbeat gambling addict a loan.

What exactly is Chuck supposed to do to show Jimmy, a grown man, how to do it right other that lead by example? Jimmy has let Chuck down his entire life and for some reason that I will never understand, it's not Slippin' Jimmy who is the asshole, it's Chuck. WTF?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote: I think we're essentially agreeing on Mike. I just find him to fall a little more to the right of the good line, while you see him standing a bit more to the left.

But as I said, he'll eventually make that walk back to the other side of the line.
I think Mike, if dropped off in a different location with a different start in life, would be a good person and would not harm a soul. He's unfortunately lying in the bed he made.
Jimmy, on the other hand, given the same new start, would still look to con people because that's his nature.

Now Jimmy would never kill anyone like Mike would, but he would go so far as to propose killing someone as a solution. He did that in Breaking Bad.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt...you know they had a whole episode about how Chuck went out of his way to overrule Howard with regard to Jimmy, right. Jimmy was doing all the right things in Howard's eyes, and Howard wanted him. It was Chuck that stood in they way - because he was offended that Jimmy thought he could be an attorney. And being the coward that Chuck was, he put that on Howard as well (as he always does).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Howard doesn't know Jimmy the way Chuck does. Howard sees a guy from the mail room who busts his ass and passes the bar and thinks "this guy, who is related to Chuck, a lawyer I totally respect, must be of the same cloth." Chuck knows better and refuses to hire Jimmy because Chuck is not a fool. Do you honestly believe that if Chuck had made Jimmy an associate Jimmy would have stopped being Slippin' Jimmy? He had the same opportunity at Davis and Maine and couldn't do it. Why would it be any different at HHM?

Chuck is not offended that Jimmy thinks he can be an attorney. Chuck knows that there are amoral lawyers out there. He is offended that someone who has such disregard for the law thinks he can be Chuck's peer. He knows Jimmy will bring shame upon the McGill name.

I totally agree that Chuck is a coward for not telling Jimmy himself and pushing that on Howard. I've said that all along.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I don't understand why this is so complicated. Are we watching the same show? I'm not hypothesizing that Chuck is offended that Jimmy thinks he can be an attorney. THAT WAS DIALOG FROM THE SHOW.

Chuck specifically tells Jimmy that when Jimmy finds out that it was Chuck that kept HHM from letting him be a lawyer there. It's his own words.

Regardless, your comment that Chuck was mentoring Jimmy is absolute nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make up bags of change
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

McNutt wrote:
McNutt wrote:Plus the consequences of Jimmy's actions led to Chuck being subjected to what he considers extreme torture. That ER scene was brutal.
We still don't know what caused the hypersensitivity to electricity, but I see this scene as Jimmy standing by Chuck once again to no commit him and do the bare minimum of getting the medical tests completed. If it was the other way around, Chuck would have Jimmy insta-committed.
Maybe. Jimmy does have his good qualities and his ability to care for Chuck is one of them. I have no idea what Chuck would do about Jimmy's health.
I'm pretty sure the doctor implied that he could have serious brain damage from the fall.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

People, people, people...can we at least agree that Ernesto deserves his own spin off series?

He won. Period.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

hepcat wrote:People, people, people...can we at least agree that Ernesto deserves his own spin off series?

He at least admitted he'd rather be back in the mail room after being Chuck's handler for so long.
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:Jimmy tried (oh my god, did he try, he tried all the time...).
18-1™ & 2-0
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

RunningMn9 wrote:

Regardless, your comment that Chuck was mentoring Jimmy is absolute nonsense.
As much as he could, considering Jimmy was studying in secret. Maybe more of a role model then mentor.

But are you honestly saying that you would have hired Jimmy? Because you're blasting Chuck for not doing so.
RunningMn9

[AMC] Better Call Saul

Post by RunningMn9 »

I'm blasting Chuck for secretly preventing Howard from doing what Howard wanted to do (hire Jimmy) in a cowardly fashion.

I am noT willing to say that Jimmy would have screwed that up because much of what Jimmy does, Jimmy has to do to. He may not have to do those things at HHM.
Make up bags of change
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
mori

Post by mori »

Odd that we have to wait until April until awesome TV starts again with Better Call Saul and Fargo both coming this month.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

mori wrote:Odd that we have to wait until April until awesome TV starts again with Better Call Saul and Fargo both coming this month.
The Leftovers Season 3 starts up this month too.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I guess the days when Fall season premiers used to be the big thing must have given way to the half-season model (or something). Archer starts tomorrow night, too.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Tonight, bitches.

Gilligan has said another "fan favorite" from BB is joining the show this season, besides Gus. My money is on Huell.

As to the tape Chuck made, I think I can guess how that plays out (not spoilering this because it's strictly speculation): Chuck agrees to keep the tape and not turn Jimmy in, only as long as Jimmy no longer sullies the family name, forcing the change to Goodman.

How DOES the Bar Assn feel about lawyers changing their names, anyway?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Better Call Mike!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So Chuck's plan all along was for Jimmy to break into Chuck's house to steal the tape that really wasn't that useful. The big question is now what does Chuck do? I'm guessing he presses charges and gets Jimmy in from of the state bar. I don't think he wants Jimmy in jail, just not to be a lawyer.

Also, Jimmy really sucks at being inconspicuous.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I still say that Jimmy & Chuck will reach an agreement where Jimmy can still be a lawyer, as long as he doesn't use the family name.
mori

Post by mori »

I am interested in how the Mike and Gus relationship develops. I hope it is more than just Gus threating Mike's family to get him to be a henchman.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

tgb wrote:I still say that Jimmy & Chuck will reach an agreement where Jimmy can still be a lawyer, as long as he doesn't use the family name.
I doubt it. Chuck doesn't want anybody like Jimmy practicing law. I'm guessing he gets disbarred and since they live in the same town, Chuck is probably not going to live between Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.
tgb

Post by tgb »

McNutt wrote:
tgb wrote:I still say that Jimmy & Chuck will reach an agreement where Jimmy can still be a lawyer, as long as he doesn't use the family name.
I doubt it. Chuck doesn't want anybody like Jimmy practicing law. I'm guessing he gets disbarred and since they live in the same town, Chuck is probably not going to live between Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.
Someone without a Bar card isn't going to run the high-profile ads that Saul does.
naednek

Post by naednek »

This show is great. It's a show you can't be multi-tasking, because there's so many things that happen without a word being spoken. The facial expressions, the emotions the actors portray do more than dialogue in this show. The directing is solid all the way through. Yes, it's slow, but there's so much that goes on if you pay attention.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I also notice how they show some Cinnabon Saul clips - laying the groundwork for life after Breaking Bad...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Jaymann wrote:I also notice how they show some Cinnabon Saul clips - laying the groundwork for life after Breaking Bad...
I'm curious about this. Obviously, there's a limit how much story can be told between now and the time of Breaking Bad, so either the writers string this limited time period out as long as they can, just commit to Better Call Saul only being a few seasons long, or at some point begin telling the story of Jimmy's post-Breaking Bad life. I really hope they go for the third option. I love Better Call Saul-- it's probably my favorite show on the air right now-- but the only downside is that we already know how it ends.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Mike is a very clever man and the kind you don't want to have on your bad side.

So how does everyone feel about Chuck now? Is he out to have Jimmy's law license revoked because he sees Jimmy as an affront to what Chuck holds dear, or is this just a lifelong jealousy of Jimmy's ability to charm people and Chuck wants to have him put in his place again?
tgb

Post by tgb »

A bit of both, I think.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think you're right.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tgb wrote:A bit of both, I think.
Yeah, Chuck is not the kind of character that can be defined by one thing. I truly believe he loves his brother, but I also think he hates his brother. He's certainly jealous of his brother, yet pities him too.

His relationship with Jimmy can't be defined, is what I guess I'm trying to say. :wink:

But Gus and Mike? I can sum them up in two words: pure awesome.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote:
tgb wrote:A bit of both, I think.
Yeah, Chuck is not the kind of character that can be defined by one thing. I truly believe he loves his brother, but I also think he hates his brother. He's certainly jealous of his brother, yet pities him too.
Chuck is by-the-book Law & Order above all else. Jimmy operates under that cover and just barely manages to walk the line, usually. Nothing could gall Chuck more than that. Chuck would have no problems with Jimmy if he worked at, say, Cinnabun.

I presume that Chuck is dead in Saul's Cinnabun future, but I can't tell you why I presume that.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

He's dead because that's the only way I could see Jimmy changing his name to Saul Goodman and practicing law in the same city.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Jaymann wrote:I also notice how they show some Cinnabon Saul clips - laying the groundwork for life after Breaking Bad...
If anyone ever wants to understand how brilliant this show is, just watch the opening Cinnabon clip of this season. Without a word, and only a stylistic choice of black and white, they convey the absolute soul-crushing bleakness of anyone who has ever found themselves stuck doing something they don't want to do. I haven't worked a minimum wage job in 25 years, but that one short clip brought back every emotion I had working through high school summers.

It's also a testament to Bob Odenkirk that we've seen his character lie, cheat, and steal - wreck lives and just be a complete and utter sleazeball, and yet I still feel absolute pity for him. It's really an incredible piece of acting.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

McNutt wrote:So how does everyone feel about Chuck now? Is he out to have Jimmy's law license revoked because he sees Jimmy as an affront to what Chuck holds dear, or is this just a lifelong jealousy of Jimmy's ability to charm people and Chuck wants to have him put in his place again?
Enlarge Image

My money is on both. They've gone to great pains to show the lifetime of little incidents between Chuck and Jimmy (their mother's dying words come to mind).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Better call Kim.

I love how Chuck and Howard underestimate her.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote:Better call Kim.

I love how Chuck and Howard underestimate her.
They really do.

Also, I wonder if this is the year Hector winds up in a wheelchair with a bell. And who is directly responsible. The signs point to Mike at Gus's asking, but I'm very curious to see how they get there.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Gus explaining to his employees the reason for Hector's appearance at the restaurant was great. I have to wonder if he came prepared with that statement, or if he just made it up on the spot. The reason I lean towards the latter is that he seemed to be caught off guard when his cashier asked him who those men were. Then he haltingly started his story...only to find his footing and continue on with a completely believable tale.
He won. Period.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

The writing for the character has him as very smart with a clear long run game plan. I'm sure the speech was prepared and seemed to be partly truthful too. I want to believe the character knows who he wants working for him. From the restaurant to the drug trade, Gus appears to be keen on his employees. I felt the scene with Lyle asking about the men made Gus proud, happy to share some of his personal life with his civilians. When they all started clapping after Gus's story, he gained more respect from the workers. Smart fella that Gus!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:Gus explaining to his employees the reason for Hector's appearance at the restaurant was great. I have to wonder if he came prepared with that statement, or if he just made it up on the spot. The reason I lean towards the latter is that he seemed to be caught off guard when his cashier asked him who those men were. Then he haltingly started his story...only to find his footing and continue on with a completely believable tale.
Yeah, it appeared to me that Gus was winging it, but he's smooth enough to pull it off. I'm assuming the purpose of Mike's photos is to make Chuck look unstable before the bar, but they still have Jimmy's confession. Speaking of which, I loved his "apology".
KKBlue wrote: From the restaurant to the drug trade, Gus appears to be keen on his employees.
Not always so much.
Spoiler:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got a big grin when Mike showed up to fix Chuck's door. Not sure what all those photos are for -- documenting Chuck's insanity, maybe? -- but delighted to know that Jimmy and Kimmy have a scheme going.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Gus wasn't winging it. He knew he was going to have to make that a speech and he's too smart to not be prepared. If Gus is anything, he's prepared.

I had assumed Hector had a stroke. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

They have the pics that Mike took and those would not be admissible in court due to how they were obtained (I'm guessing). But Kim knows that so I'm also guessing she knows damn well that Bar hearings are much looser with evidence admissibility.

So Chuck has admitted that the destroyed tape was a copy. Maybe Mike's pictures will somehow paint the picture that Chuck was baiting Jimmy into breaking the law.