[AMC] Better Call Saul

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stimpy

Re: [AMC] Better Call Saul

Post by stimpy »

Spoiler:
I initially thought that, but then thought why would Gus want Mike to NOT kill Hector?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stimpy wrote:
Spoiler:
I initially thought that, but then thought why would Gus want Mike to NOT kill Hector?
Who knows? The man is an evil genius! We can only guess at the complex and nefarious machinations of his devious mind.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't get a
Spoiler:
Gus
vibe from that note, does not seem an organic development. It was a brilliant way to save Hector, but they definitely have me stumped.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Spoiler:
https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul ... an_theyre/

I think that may indicate its definitely Gus.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

Wow, this show, man, this show... Everyone's an asshole and everyone does good.
It would probably be awesome to watch BCS before BB, but it's too late for us.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stimpy wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Jaymann wrote:So Chuck uses Jimmy's concern for his brother to out grift him. They deserve each other.
Pretty obvious who must have left that note for Mike on his windshield. Can't wait for him to reappear in season 3!

Also, I would've thought Jimmy would be more savvy than that. It was obvious from the get go that Chuck was going to trap him into a confession.

I think Jimmy knew. Especially by the last thing he said to Chuck.
I think he believes that Chuck just wanted the confession, not that he will do anything with it. Thats yet to be determined.
This show made me yell at the TV: "Don't do it, Jimmy. It's a trap!" If it was obvious to me, it must've been obvious to Jimmy. Chuck got the drop on him with the tape recorder, though. So what's it going to be, Chuck? Revenge or blackmail?
Nightwish wrote:Wow, this show, man, this show... Everyone's an asshole and everyone does good.
Jimmy genuinely cares about Chuck. I don't think the reverse is true.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Kraken wrote:
Nightwish wrote:Wow, this show, man, this show... Everyone's an asshole and everyone does good.
Yeah, I haven't seen Chuck do anything that doesn't benefit Chuck. He hasn't done a single "good" thing in the show as far as I'm concerned...
tgb

Post by tgb »

Drop the McGill and I bury the tape.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

tgb wrote:Drop the McGill and I bury the tape.
Yep, I'm pretty sure Jimmy becomes Saul Goodman in Season 3. It's about time.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doomboy wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Yeah, I haven't seen Chuck do anything that doesn't benefit Chuck. He hasn't done a single "good" thing in the show as far as I'm concerned...
He:

1) Got Jimmy out of numerous legal binds over the years (they mention it in the show more than once).
2) Got Jimmy out of the biggest one which would have seen him labelled as a sex offender, among other charges, even though Chuck was reluctant to do what it took. After which he issued an ultimatum that Jimmy had to change his ways.
3) Had Jimmy come live in Albuquerque and got him a steady job.

I think Chuck hates the things that Jimmy does. I think he resents him for what he's done to the innocent people he comes across. But I do think he genuinely loves him. Any other human being on Earth, and Chuck's unfailing adherence to the letter of the law would've forced him to cut ties with him (or probably prosecute him) decades ago.

But Jimmy has gone too far, I believe. At least in Chuck's eyes. And like a father who turns his son in for murder for the greater good, I think that's the decision that Chuck is making now.

I can't help but dread the moment we find out what caused Chuck's belief that he has electrical hypersensitivity. I think that his wife, who has never been shown outside of a distant flashback, will be a big part of that story. I also fear we're going to find out yet another awful thing about Jimmy's past in the process.

...sigh...this show is gonna end up breakin' my heart, isn't it?
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jimmy doesn't turn into Saul because everything keeps coming up roses...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote:I think Chuck hates the things that Jimmy does. I think he resents him for what he's done to the innocent people he comes across. But I do think he genuinely loves him. Any other human being on Earth, and Chuck's unfailing adherence to the letter of the law would've forced him to cut ties with him (or probably prosecute him) decades ago.
It's more than that, though.

Think about the scene with their dying mother's last words. That was all about Jimmy's enduring status as the 'favoured son,' in spite of all his misconduct, and Chuck's efforts to excel academically and professionally. No matter how hard Chuck worked, he's always had to play second fiddle to Slippin' Jimmy. So that's clearly a major factor of his resentment, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Doomboy wrote:
Kraken wrote:
He did leave a $5 bill when he swiped the neighbor's newspaper. That's kinda good.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ernesto's haggard look and muttered line "Man, I miss the mail room" made me laugh out loud, by the way. That poor guy is the unsung hero of the show.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm glad you clarified that - I couldn't hear the line well, and thought he said something like "that's a call I'll be missing" or something to that effect.

As for Chuck, I just don't see him as a sympathetic character at all, and if there was any doubt, the dying mom scene certainly clarified my instincts.

Chuck resents Jimmy for sliding through life, and STILL having people like and love him, including his parents. He thinks he's the only one that sees Jimmy's flaws (he's not), and it drives him nuts since he thinks people's reactions should be disgust and anger.

Chuck was always the straight arrow, doing everything right, following the rules, being a good little boy, yet for all that, his mother's dying words called for her fuck up son! Inconceivable! What more would it take for people that were important to him, to love and respect him? He did everything right, and Jimmy did everything wrong, but somehow people just seemed to like Jimmy more, and that's not fair (in his mind).

The problem is that people like Chuck, who have never colored outside the lines in their entire lives, and insist that no one else should either, are boring and usually tiresome to others, often pretentious as well. Successful? Yes, usually. Respected for their work, by peers? Yep. Likable? Not so much.
Toe

Post by Toe »

stimpy wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Jaymann wrote:So Chuck uses Jimmy's concern for his brother to out grift him. They deserve each other.
Pretty obvious who must have left that note for Mike on his windshield. Can't wait for him to reappear in season 3!

Also, I would've thought Jimmy would be more savvy than that. It was obvious from the get go that Chuck was going to trap him into a confession.

I think Jimmy knew. Especially by the last thing he said to Chuck.
I think he believes that Chuck just wanted the confession, not that he will do anything with it. Thats yet to be determined.
Yeah, I was thinking the temporary power of attorney (or whatever it was called) is still in effect, so Jimmy was playing him the whole time. If Chuck tries to blackmail he will be like, "Oh? Off to the mental institution with you then."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think Jimmy was playing him (or planning on playing him) at all when he signed that legal document. He genuinely loves Chuck. He's a bit of a blind spot for Jimmy (hence running into the copier store the second he saw Chuck in danger).
He won. Period.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

hepcat wrote: I can't help but dread the moment we find out what caused Chuck's belief that he has electrical hypersensitivity. I think that his wife, who has never been shown outside of a distant flashback, will be a big part of that story. I also fear we're going to find out yet another awful thing about Jimmy's past in the process.
It might just be my imagination playing tricks on me, but I've been noticing Chuck gets worse when Jimmy does something wrong. Of course, that doesn't tell us what triggered it initially...

I don't think of Chuck as a bad person, he's been damaged by Jimmy multiple times, as was pointed out in the thread. He has good reasons to be an ass, but whether the behavior is acceptable anyway depends on whatever personal philosophy you believe in.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

No, Chuck is not a bad person. He's a little self righteous and a whole lot resentful, but the only person in the world that he is ever going to not be nice to is Jimmy and he definitely has reason for that. Chuck loves Jimmy because he has to. Jimmy is his brother and Jimmy worships Chuck. But if Jimmy were not family Chuck would not want to be in the same room with that kind of person.

This week's episode totally summed up Jimmy and Chuck's relationship. Jimmy essentially broke chuck. He dealt him a major career blow and made him question his own abilities so much that he was going to retire in shame. Plus the consequences of Jimmy's actions led to Chuck being subjected to what he considers extreme torture. That ER scene was brutal. When Jimmy admits to causing that, plus committing several felonies, Jimmy essentially says, "It was just a prank, bro." Man, screw anybody who is so damn cavalier about that. Chuck is 100% in the right here and the only reason anybody here is thinking that Chuck is a jerk about this is because Jimmy is the star of the show.

I have no idea how far Chuck will go with this tape though. I imagine he's going to push for disbarment and he'll later settle for having Jimmy abandon the McGill name.

As for Mike, I'm not good at figuring out who's behind this stuff. Mainly because I can't remember how Mike was introduced in Breaking Bad. Was he working for Gus?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, Mike was Gus' go to guy.
He won. Period.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

McNutt wrote:No, Chuck is not a bad person. He's a little self righteous and a whole lot resentful, but the only person in the world that he is ever going to not be nice to is Jimmy and he definitely has reason for that. Chuck loves Jimmy because he has to. Jimmy is his brother and Jimmy worships Chuck. But if Jimmy were not family Chuck would not want to be in the same room with that kind of person.

This week's episode totally summed up Jimmy and Chuck's relationship. Jimmy essentially broke chuck. He dealt him a major career blow and made him question his own abilities so much that he was going to retire in shame. Plus the consequences of Jimmy's actions led to Chuck being subjected to what he considers extreme torture. That ER scene was brutal. When Jimmy admits to causing that, plus committing several felonies, Jimmy essentially says, "It was just a prank, bro." Man, screw anybody who is so damn cavalier about that. Chuck is 100% in the right here and the only reason anybody here is thinking that Chuck is a jerk about this is because Jimmy is the star of the show.

I have no idea how far Chuck will go with this tape though. I imagine he's going to push for disbarment and he'll later settle for having Jimmy abandon the McGill name.

As for Mike, I'm not good at figuring out who's behind this stuff. Mainly because I can't remember how Mike was introduced in Breaking Bad. Was he working for Gus?
And Chuck has caused all sorts of problems for Jimmy, including trying to derail his law career (and lying about why). That's what I love about this show. Nobody is completely in the right. Everyone is a little wrong. And as observers, we all have different opinions framed from our own backgrounds.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's interesting that you guys think the hospital scene with their mother is an example of Chuck being bad. I took it as a mercy towards Jimmy that he didn't tell him what exactly happened as it would have likely made Jimmy feel guilty about leaving. It didn't change anything - it was literally her dying breath - so why torment Jimmy with the knowledge that he wasn't there?

Chuck is an idealist; He follows the rules to the letter. Jimmy loves to bend the rules and isn't above breaking the law (clearly) under the right conditions. The fact that he didn't think about how the letter switch-a-roo would impact Chuck's mental state because he was so focused on Kim is a perfect example. Felony? Who cares. Mentally unstable brother? Meh. It was about making "right" a perceived wrong by giving Kim what he felt she deserved. Jimmy has his own code.
McNutt wrote: Mainly because I can't remember how Mike was introduced in Breaking Bad. Was he working for Gus?
Yes, but that's not how we first met him. He was contacted through Saul to help "clean up" Jessie's girlfriend problem. What I think is absolutely fascinating about Better Call Saul is that you can see how Jimmy and Mike know each other but other than that, it's like there are two parallel stories happening where you know eventually something will happen that brings them together in a much more formal way. It's awesome.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When did Chuck try to derail Jimmy's law career? Not offering him a job at HHM, a job for which Jimmy was certainly not qualified, is not derailing his career. Chuck would have to be insane to have hired Jimmy as a lawyer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Side note: the opening camera shot from this last episode that shows Jimmy....theeennnn slowly pans over to Chuck sitting next to him before revealing it's a flashback was absolutely genius. The last shot we saw from the episode before that was Chuck falling and hitting his head, so it was made to look like Jimmy was at Chuck's bedside initially.
He won. Period.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:It's interesting that you guys think the hospital scene with their mother is an example of Chuck being bad. I took it as a mercy towards Jimmy that he didn't tell him what exactly happened as it would have likely made Jimmy feel guilty about leaving. It didn't change anything - it was literally her dying breath - so why torment Jimmy with the knowledge that he wasn't there?
Wow, I didn't interpret that scene that way at all. The resentment that Chuck had when their mother called out for Jimmy was palpable. To me, Chuck didn't tell Jimmy what she said because of how much it bothered him that she called out for Jimmy when Chuck was the one that stayed with her. He wasn't protecting Jimmy at all, quite the opposite (IMO).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I could see he was resentful and it pained him, but I never took Chuck to be a vindictive person...well, right up until the episode ended. :wink:

But even that --is Chuck simply acting out of a sense of right and wrong or is he trying to prove to everyone else he isn't crazy and that he didn't make a mistake? I don't know. What's more important to him - his reputation or blackmailing Jimmy into leaving the profession? That's what's great about this show - I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

McNutt wrote:He dealt him a major career blow and made him question his own abilities so much that he was going to retire in shame.
I disagree. It was all a ploy from Chuck as a last ditch effort to get Jimmy to admit what he did, as evidenced by the tape recorder already planted. It was a "long con" from Chuck with writing the resignation letter, anticipating Howard reaching out to Jimmy and then Jimmy rushing over to reconcile with Chuck. Perhaps Chuck is an even better con man than Jimmy.
McNutt wrote:Plus the consequences of Jimmy's actions led to Chuck being subjected to what he considers extreme torture. That ER scene was brutal.
We still don't know what caused the hypersensitivity to electricity, but I see this scene as Jimmy standing by Chuck once again to no commit him and do the bare minimum of getting the medical tests completed. If it was the other way around, Chuck would have Jimmy insta-committed.
McNutt wrote:When Jimmy admits to causing that, plus committing several felonies, Jimmy essentially says, "It was just a prank, bro." Man, screw anybody who is so damn cavalier about that. Chuck is 100% in the right here and the only reason anybody here is thinking that Chuck is a jerk about this is because Jimmy is the star of the show.
I think Chuck is a jerk because of how he dismisses all the good Jimmy has done for him over the years and only focuses on the bad, which exacerbates the situation. When Jimmy admits to doing it, Chuck immediately thinks it was all an elaborate scheme to humiliate him and ruin his career. However, it's not about Chuck. It's about Kim. Chuck's problem is that he thinks the entire universe revolves around him, especially in all things related to Jimmy. In this case, it's not about him. He was collateral damage and doesn't understand that it didn't have to be this way if he had an ounce of caring for Jimmy on a personal level. Chuck was always the one just "doing his duty" in helping Jimmy out as a family member from his numerous predicaments. Jimmy was always the one that truly cared for Chuck as a brother.
McNutt wrote:I have no idea how far Chuck will go with this tape though. I imagine he's going to push for disbarment and he'll later settle for having Jimmy abandon the McGill name.
Chuck will absolutely use this to the maximum extent to ruin Jimmy and, in the process, ruin Kim. He only cares about what is right in his mind, nothing at all about those around him and the consequences.

This season finale solidified my dislike for Chuck as the #1 dick on the show. Each character has their flaws, but Chuck is the worst (IMHO).
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:It's interesting that you guys think the hospital scene with their mother is an example of Chuck being bad. I took it as a mercy towards Jimmy that he didn't tell him what exactly happened as it would have likely made Jimmy feel guilty about leaving. It didn't change anything - it was literally her dying breath - so why torment Jimmy with the knowledge that he wasn't there?
Wow, I didn't interpret that scene that way at all. The resentment that Chuck had when their mother called out for Jimmy was palpable. To me, Chuck didn't tell Jimmy what she said because of how much it bothered him that she called out for Jimmy when Chuck was the one that stayed with her. He wasn't protecting Jimmy at all, quite the opposite (IMO).
Chuck absolutely was an ass hole in the scene with their mother dying.

F Chuck.
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Kraken wrote:Jimmy genuinely cares about Chuck. I don't think the reverse is true.
Yup.
18-1™ & 2-0
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The first half (or more) of season 1 gave us a Chuck who showed genuine affection for Jimmy. I can't view Chuck as truly bad in light of that.

And he seemed genuinely sorry to hear about Kim getting shut out by Howard as punishment for siding with Jimmy in that late night office scene between the two of them, and even offered to talk with Howard on her behalf. He also noted to Howard that Kim was to be lauded for getting the bank client when he was informed of the new business.

I also can't call Chuck's lying to Jimmy in the hospital after their mother's death as being born of any real malice. It was a dick move, yes. But his own mother had just cried out for a son who had hurt the family on more than one occasion, while ignoring the existence of the son who had always been loyal and dependable (as far as we know).

I believe he loves (or at least loved, in light of Jimmy's recent transgression that I'm guessing Chuck won't be able to forgive) Jimmy, but now it's become Van Helsing versus Dracula...and the bodies are going to drop during this showdown.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I didn't realize that was the season finale. I am very sad now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Malificent wrote:
And Chuck has caused all sorts of problems for Jimmy, including trying to derail his law career (and lying about why). That's what I love about this show. Nobody is completely in the right. Everyone is a little wrong. And as observers, we all have different opinions framed from our own backgrounds.
Someone somewhere said that this show could've been called Breaking Good. True dat.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Trent Steel wrote:
McNutt wrote:He dealt him a major career blow and made him question his own abilities so much that he was going to retire in shame.
I disagree. It was all a ploy from Chuck as a last ditch effort to get Jimmy to admit what he did, as evidenced by the tape recorder already planted. It was a "long con" from Chuck with writing the resignation letter, anticipating Howard reaching out to Jimmy and then Jimmy rushing over to reconcile with Chuck. Perhaps Chuck is an even better con man than Jimmy.
Possibly. I think it was more of hope from Chuck. Hope that he wasn't as washed up as he had thought he was.
McNutt wrote:Plus the consequences of Jimmy's actions led to Chuck being subjected to what he considers extreme torture. That ER scene was brutal.
We still don't know what caused the hypersensitivity to electricity, but I see this scene as Jimmy standing by Chuck once again to no commit him and do the bare minimum of getting the medical tests completed. If it was the other way around, Chuck would have Jimmy insta-committed.
Maybe. Jimmy does have his good qualities and his ability to care for Chuck is one of them. I have no idea what Chuck would do about Jimmy's health.
McNutt wrote:When Jimmy admits to causing that, plus committing several felonies, Jimmy essentially says, "It was just a prank, bro." Man, screw anybody who is so damn cavalier about that. Chuck is 100% in the right here and the only reason anybody here is thinking that Chuck is a jerk about this is because Jimmy is the star of the show.
I think Chuck is a jerk because of how he dismisses all the good Jimmy has done for him over the years and only focuses on the bad, which exacerbates the situation. When Jimmy admits to doing it, Chuck immediately thinks it was all an elaborate scheme to humiliate him and ruin his career. However, it's not about Chuck. It's about Kim. Chuck's problem is that he thinks the entire universe revolves around him, especially in all things related to Jimmy. In this case, it's not about him. He was collateral damage and doesn't understand that it didn't have to be this way if he had an ounce of caring for Jimmy on a personal level. Chuck was always the one just "doing his duty" in helping Jimmy out as a family member from his numerous predicaments. Jimmy was always the one that truly cared for Chuck as a brother.
You've fallen under Jimmy's spell too. Yes, it was about Kim, but Jimmy doesn't spend one second thinking about the massive fallout other people will have to endure because of it. It wasn't about Chuck, but you can certainly see why Chuck might think it was. Jimmy has a guilty conscience with Chuck. He knows he's let him down time and time again and wants to be loved by Chuck. That does not excuse Jimmy or make him some good guy. Jimmy is a horrible person and Chuck is fed up with it. Showing love and being Chuck's nurse does not mean Jimmy gets to keep being Jimmy without repercussions. Jimmy can't keep trampling on the law, something Chuck holds sacred, and expect Chuck to just turn the other cheek. He's out of control and now he's directly harming Chuck to boot without a care in the world. How could Chuck possibly feel any other way?
McNutt wrote:I have no idea how far Chuck will go with this tape though. I imagine he's going to push for disbarment and he'll later settle for having Jimmy abandon the McGill name.
Chuck will absolutely use this to the maximum extent to ruin Jimmy and, in the process, ruin Kim. He only cares about what is right in his mind, nothing at all about those around him and the consequences.

This season finale solidified my dislike for Chuck as the #1 dick on the show. Each character has their flaws, but Chuck is the worst (IMHO).
I think Chuck will only try to ruin Kim if she refuses to do the right thing once presented with evidence that she is profiting from a felony. She's going to have to make a choice really soon.

Seriously, you think Chuck is a worse person than Jimmy? How do you think you would feel if a scumbag like Jimmy was your brother and you were always cleaning up after him while everybody though he was such a great guy? I'd want to beat his ass repeatedly.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

McNutt wrote:I think Chuck will only try to ruin Kim if she refuses to do the right thing once presented with evidence that she is profiting from a felony. She's going to have to make a choice really soon.
I don't think Chuck will try to ruin Kim, but he won't care what happens to her in his hell-bent crusade against Jimmy. The fake speech that Kim gave Chuck did have a lining of truth to it.
McNutt wrote:Seriously, you think Chuck is a worse person than Jimmy? How do you think you would feel if a scumbag like Jimmy was your brother and you were always cleaning up after him while everybody though he was such a great guy? I'd want to beat his ass repeatedly.
I do because Chuck is cold and clinical. He does what is right like he's a programmed automaton. Yes, Jimmy is a fuck up, but Chuck gives him zero leeway, zero flexibility, zero tolerance. Chuck's clean-ups of Jimmy's messes was only him doing his duty so to speak. Whereas if Chuck gave just a *little bit* in the genuine caring department, it would make things overall a lot easier between them. A perfect example of this is the dinner that Chuck and his wife had with Jimmy. Chuck was mortified that Jimmy would embarrass him in front of his wife and was totally uncomfortable during the whole night, but Chuck's wife had a great time and enjoyed Jimmy's company. There's a reason that their mother cried out for Jimmy and not Chuck.

18-1™ & 2-0
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trent Steel wrote:
I do because Chuck is cold and clinical.
The flashback scenes with his wife makes me think that that might have been exacerbated by whatever caused his perceived hypersensitivity to electricity. Methinks we're missing a crucial piece of the puzzle that will help us to fully understand Chuck.

...and I still believe it would be for the best to buy kleenex in bulk before that happens as I doubt there will be a dry eye in the house.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Trent Steel wrote: Yes, Jimmy is a fuck up, but Chuck gives him zero leeway, zero flexibility, zero tolerance. Chuck's clean-ups of Jimmy's messes was only him doing his duty so to speak. Whereas if Chuck gave just a *little bit* in the genuine caring department, it would make things overall a lot easier between them.
How can you say that? Chuck has forgiven Jimmy time and time again. You can see that it takes every bit of willpower Chuck has to keep Jimmy in his life instead of kicking his scumbag ass out for good. He's given and Jimmy just keeps on taking. No matter what happens, and this is the theme of the entire show, Jimmy is going to just keep on taking. You're not asking Chuck to give just a little bit. You're asking Chuck to roll over and not mind that Jimmy does truly terrible stuff. Wanting to punish Jimmy for what he just did does not make Chuck bad. It makes him human.

I just can't understand anybody siding with Jimmy. He's a con artist, people!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jimmy is a con artist, sure. But he's shown himself to be a compassionate con artist at times. It's tough to hate the lovable rogue.

He ruins lives, sure. But I think he feels genuinely bad about it (albeit only for a short time).

But I think we're going to see him lose (most of) that humanity over the course of the series. His descent seems to mirror Mike's in a way.

Honestly, I can't think of one person outside the cartel members in this show that's truly bad.

side note number two: the evil twins were back for the season finale!
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

If you mean incapable of being good, then I agree. I'm not going to put Jimmy and Mike on par with the bald cousins, but they are not good people. We want to like them just like we want to like Tony Soprano and Al Swearengen. But they are bad people. Sure, the needle swings further for Soprano and Swearengen. But it's still swinging far for Mike and is well beyond not so good for Jimmy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: I'm not going to put Jimmy and Mike on par with the bald cousins
I wouldn't put Satan on par with the bald cousins.

I will never get the image of one of the death twins crawling, wordlessly, on his broken and severed limbs from a hospital bed in an attempt to exact revenge on Walt.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The underlying thread with Jimmy is that as much as you want to hate his guts the dude went from working in a mail room to getting a license to practice law. The fact that everyone still looks at him as mail-room Jimmy (except Kim) likely helps him get to to the point where he needs to engage in sketchy behaviors. Because he couldn't "out perform" the kiss-ass fear mongering nonsense that Chuck and Howard pulled with Mesa Verde, Jimmy resorts to underhanded tricks to make them look foolish. Again, he's not thinking about the fact that it's a felony or how it will impact Chuck - it's all about righting the wrong for Kim. That's Jimmy's angle - he's looking out for the little guy that's always taken advantage of or out-classed by the suits. F those guys. Who's with me???