[AMC] Preacher

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [AMC] Preacher

Post by hepcat »

...aaannnnddd kerplotz.

As an aside, I'm amused that the majority of people playing the main Texans in this film are British citizens.
He won. Period.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Lassr wrote:Just now read the Wikipedia for The Preacher characters and it now makes more sense. So hopefully it is explained further in the future episodes. There were some spoilers in the Wikipedia so I didn't read far into each characters bio.
There's no need to be reading character bios at this point. Preacher's story begins very much in medias res, and much of the later story is actually in the form of flashbacks explaining all the shit that led them to this point. You're not supposed to really know how these characters relate to each other and who they are yet. It'll be introduced slowly, probably over several seasons.

The comic is that way too. The first time Tulip and Jesse encounter each other in the comics (apart from a brief intro in the first pages), Tulip goes "Jesse? Jesse fucking Custer!!" And that's about as much as you get right there, but it's enough to realize that these two have a serious history, one that the reader isn't allowed to know until quite a bit later. This becomes the topic of the second graphic novel in the series, "Until the End of the World," which is one of the most awesome, disturbing stories I've ever read. We've already seen hints of it in this first episode, so it's pretty obvious that it's coming.

So just relax. The knowledge you crave will come in time, and if they follow the graphic novels, it will come in epic fashion.
Insert witty comment here.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:...aaannnnddd kerplotz.

As an aside, I'm amused that the majority of people playing the main Texans in this film are British citizens.
They're naturally born thespians carrying on the legacy of The Bard. Damien Lewis as an US infantry officer or LA detective. Charlie Hunnam as the leader of a biker gang. It's in their DNA I tell ya.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tgb

Post by tgb »

We tried to watch the pilot tonight and after 30 minutes of seemingly disjointed and unconnected WTF? moments, we just gave up. We may go back to it tomorrow to see if it redeems itself, but I remain skeptical.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's definitely not for everyone. The story is pretty satirical and its target is often religion. But I'm not sure I understand what was frustrating some of you about the narrative though. It doesn't give you all the answers in the first episode (hell, I doubt you'll get them in the first season), but I didn't see anything that was contradicting itself or purposely obtuse. It's a mystery that we need to watch unfold...just like any other mystery story.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:But I'm not sure I understand what was frustrating some of you about the narrative though. It doesn't give you all the answers in the first episode (hell, I doubt you'll get them in the first season), but I didn't see anything that was contradicting itself or purposely obtuse. It's a mystery that we need to watch unfold...just like any other mystery story.
Let's be fair - it gave NO answers. Every character introduced is completely out of context. I mean, the chick in the car, fighting over a map in the back seat, then making a bazooka out of vegetable cans and shooting a helicopter out of the sky? We literally jumped into the car as she was shooting a passenger. That's about as purposely obtuse as I think I've ever experienced in a TV show. Exploding priests (and celebrities), some invisible force wailing on the main character. Something about a waitress who doesn't really like to do her job and does like to sass the mayor. A guy who eats tea bags. Don't know what any of that was about.

Like I said above, I'm intrigued and plan to give the show a chance, but maybe I just don't watch a lot of "mysteries." Scratch that, I definitely don't watch any "mysteries." Is that what this is supposed to be? Like Agatha Christie or something? Because frankly I have no idea what this show is about, and I told AMC as much when they sent me some surveys before it came out. Having watched the premiere... I still have no idea what this show is about, other than really vague summaries like "A small-town priest has issues." I don't need everything laid out for me on day 1, but I'm used to about 100x more character introduction than this show seems willing to give, and it's not my favorite experience ever.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I trust that they will tie the pieces together. I already have a faint idea of the underlying story arc -- I suppose I ought to spoiler it.
Spoiler:
The space-traveling thing that opened the show is looking for a host -- the exploding preachers were failed attempts. It entered The Preacher successfully, giving him who knows what mad powers...we saw the power to command with the guy who opened his heart. IDK if the entity is an alien or Holy Spirit or The Force or what, and that could become a central question. Tulip is there to show Preacher's shady past and outsider status. I suspect that the vampire is going to be drawn to Preacher's inner entity.
That's about all I sussed and it might not all be right, but it definitely left me wanting more. I do wish they'd subtitle the vampire's lines, though. His brogue is too thick for me.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Odin wrote:Like I said above, I'm intrigued and plan to give the show a chance, but maybe I just don't watch a lot of "mysteries." Scratch that, I definitely don't watch any "mysteries." Is that what this is supposed to be? Like Agatha Christie or something? Because frankly I have no idea what this show is about, and I told AMC as much when they sent me some surveys before it came out. Having watched the premiere... I still have no idea what this show is about, other than really vague summaries like "A small-town priest has issues." I don't need everything laid out for me on day 1, but I'm used to about 100x more character introduction than this show seems willing to give, and it's not my favorite experience ever.
Preacher is more of a modern western with supernatural overtones, unafraid of satirizing Christianity. Some of the more weird stuff you saw in the pilot makes sense when you learn what's going on. I actually appreciated the teabag eating, because it was the first and only sign in the pilot of who these two guys actually are. Having said that, the TV show takes this much, much slower than the graphic novel. The first time you see these guys there, you're told exactly who they are, what importance they have, and what their motivations are. I suppose we're going to have to wait a few episodes for that to be revealed in the TV show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would advise some of you to avoid the Twin Peaks reboot coming up. It will positively enrage you, I suspect. :wink:

But Odin makes some fair points. I'm guessing my history with the source material is making me more biased than I should be. That or I'm just more lenient towards shows that unfold slowly.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

TiLT wrote:
Lassr wrote:Just now read the Wikipedia for The Preacher characters and it now makes more sense. So hopefully it is explained further in the future episodes. There were some spoilers in the Wikipedia so I didn't read far into each characters bio.
There's no need to be reading character bios at this point.
It was necessary for me. After the first episode I was completely lost and not sure I was going to watch the next episode. I have other things I could be doing like playing Stellaris. So with no clue what I was watching I needed to know in what direction this show was going. Reading the wiki helped and I liked the premise so I am invested in watching the first season. If I had not read the wiki, the next time it came on it may have went unwatched because I had forgotten about it and then the next time I would say why bother I have already missed one episode...

At least if a movie starts out this way you have 2 hours to explain what happened; with a series you may have to wait 6 weeks or so. Do I want to invest that time and then it ends up being something that I didn't find compelling.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The rule of 3. This show is made for it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... he-tv-show

Some thoughts from Garth Ennis about the changes for the TV show.
tgb

Post by tgb »

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong and I'm nothing if not a big man. The second hour was a lot more enjoyable than the first 30 minutes. I can't say I'm hooked, but I'm intrigued enough to come back.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Daehawk wrote:The rule of 3. This show is made for it.
If this is in regards to how the show is recorded, you might have added points to your :wub: account from my husband! He did camera work for a TV show several years ago. He told me once about the 3's
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite things on tv.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah the plot is coming together with the latest episode. Tell me: Was that E3 or E4? I suspect that my DVR might have missed E2 because there was a long jump after the pilot.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote:Yeah the plot is coming together with the latest episode. Tell me: Was that E3 or E4? I suspect that my DVR might have missed E2 because there was a long jump after the pilot.
Last night was E4.

Did you see the episode where the beginning was set in the late 1800s? That was E2.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote:
Kraken wrote:Yeah the plot is coming together with the latest episode. Tell me: Was that E3 or E4? I suspect that my DVR might have missed E2 because there was a long jump after the pilot.
Last night was E4.

Did you see the episode where the beginning was set in the late 1800s? That was E2.
Nope, my dvr decided not to watch that one. The disorienting 3-week jump after the pilot almost lost me because E3 didn't make much sense, but E4 pulled me back in.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Shit. I forgot about this. When they took the 1 week break it left my mind
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

pr0ner wrote:
Last night was E4.

Actually AMC has done something strange with the way they have numbered the episodes. They numbered the pilot Episode 0 and the second episode is actually Episode 1, so by AMC's accounting, we are on episode 3, although we have seen 4 episodes.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rshetts2 wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
Last night was E4.

Actually AMC has done something strange with the way they have numbered the episodes. They numbered the pilot Episode 0 and the second episode is actually Episode 1, so by AMC's accounting, we are on episode 3, although we have seen 4 episodes.
I'll bet that's why my DVR decided it didn't need to record E2...er, E1. AMC probably screwed up the "new" flag when they screwed up the numbering.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

As a bonus, you can watch E0 and E1 (second episode, the one you missed) on AMC's website without logging in.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Great show so far. A little confusing in the first couple of episodes trying to figure out who all the characters are and their relationship to one another, but they are being fleshed out.
Spoiler:
I am curious about the rationale of Rorschach shooting those people as "serving god".
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I need to get back to this having a premiere and then not airing the second episode for couple of weeks did the show no favors for making a regular, especially as the pace is slow.

I hope my DVR did not also mess up. If it did, that will probably be the end of the show for me. Right now TiVo is just collecting episodes and I haven't been bothered to watch anything. TV, in general, is not pulling me in right now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't find the pace to be all that slow, though. I've been watching Outcast on cinemax lately and THAT'S an example of slow. But Preacher? I think it moves at a pretty decent clip.

This is still climbing my list of best shows on TV right now. The only thing I don't like about it is the actress playing Tulip. For some reason she's just not working for me. I think it's because she's so damn tiny and delicate that I have a hard time envisioning her as the bad ass from the comics. She's certainly easy on the eyes, though.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those that have missed them, my DVR was grabbing the first 5 episodes tomorrow labeled as "extras" or something similar. It looks to me like AMC is just re-airing them all. I'm really enjoying it but I think they screwed up having the premiere and then taking a week off. That really makes no sense at all.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: The only thing I don't like about it is the actress playing Tulip. For some reason she's just not working for me. I think it's because she's so damn tiny and delicate that I have a hard time envisioning her as the bad ass from the comics. She's certainly easy on the eyes, though.
I still see her as Flower from Agents of SHIELD. Keep expecting her to turn into a mutant.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My wife has been watching it with me and she is utterly confused. I'm about 14 issues into the comic and the show is utterly confusing me as well since it diverges so completely from the comic.

I learned patience watching Better Call Saul, but this is losing me. Not even the events of this week's episode (where something totally happened) have inspired much interest.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hepcat wrote:I don't find the pace to be all that slow, though. I've been watching Outcast on cinemax lately and THAT'S an example of slow. But Preacher? I think it moves at a pretty decent clip.

This is still climbing my list of best shows on TV right now. The only thing I don't like about it is the actress playing Tulip. For some reason she's just not working for me. I think it's because she's so damn tiny and delicate that I have a hard time envisioning her as the bad ass from the comics. She's certainly easy on the eyes, though.
Have you read the graphic novel or are you familiar with the plot? Because for someone who has no background, they are definitely filling in the blanks at a very slow pace. The two episodes they have opened with the western setting in the 1800's, zero context at all so it makes no sense, unless you already understand what the tie in is. Now Im fine with how they have paced the show but they are holding their cards really close to the vest. I guess Tulip must be a matter of prior knowledge as well because I think Ruth Negga has done a fantastic job.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Moliere wrote:Great show so far. A little confusing in the first couple of episodes trying to figure out who all the characters are and their relationship to one another, but they are being fleshed out.
Spoiler:
I am curious about the rationale of Rorschach shooting those people as "serving god".
Did you miss what the angels said to Jesse at the diner? That'll answer your spoiler.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote:
Moliere wrote:Great show so far. A little confusing in the first couple of episodes trying to figure out who all the characters are and their relationship to one another, but they are being fleshed out.
Spoiler:
Did you miss what the angels said to Jesse at the diner? That'll answer your spoiler.
Crap, I did miss that. Could you spoiler the answer for me? :oops:
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

pr0ner wrote:Did you miss what the angels said to Jesse at the diner? That'll answer your spoiler.
Spoiler:
Something about what was inside him wasn't god. I guess implying that it was a force of evil? It certainly creates interesting scenarios like the "open your heart" command, but I still don't see how killing people "serves god".
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Moliere wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Did you miss what the angels said to Jesse at the diner? That'll answer your spoiler.
Spoiler:
Something about what was inside him wasn't god. I guess implying that it was a force of evil? It certainly creates interesting scenarios like the "open your heart" command, but I still don't see how killing people "serves god".
Hepcat, this is for you too:
Spoiler:
If the Voice is not from God but is from something evil like Satan, being told to serve God means being told to serve Satan and therefore do things like murder people.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, thanks. I didn't get that twist. I mean, I read the graphic novels, but that's a bit of a different interpretation of the power.
He won. Period.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I don't think that interpretation is correct. It's more likely that it's Odin Quincannon's interpretation that matters here. What he considers to be "serving god" is likely entirely different from what Jesse expects. He might be going all Old Testament on the town.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That sounds a bit more like the spirit of the graphic novel, but I'm also aware that there are bound to be changes. So I'm not discounting any interpretations yet.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote:Ah, thanks. I didn't get that twist. I mean, I read the graphic novels, but that's a bit of a different interpretation of the power.
It's what I took out of watching the ep, and I've never read the graphic novels. It's entirely possible I'll be shown to be wrong in the next ep (no spoilers from the novels, please).
Hodor.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

COMIC BOOK SPOILER REGARDING THE VOICE

(pr0ner, DO NOT READ)
Spoiler:
It is "something new", offspring of Good and Evil
:horse:
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Odin could also be taking his command way more literally than even we are. Remember that meat is a big part of his life. He could see "serve God" as literally serving him (as in serving him dinner). We'll see if he starts chopping up those people he murdered.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

AMC just announced that Preacher has been renewed for a second season and increased the order from 10 episodes to 13 for next year.

Also for those who have had DVR issues or either want to catch up with the series,
This Thursday night ( June 30th ), AMC will air a “Preacher” catch-up/DVR marathon of the first five episodes of the current season, starting at 9:00 p.m. and running through 2:35 a.m. Friday morning. The sixth episode appears on AMC this Sunday in the show’s regular timeslot at 9:00 p.m.