[AMC] Preacher

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TiLT

Re: [AMC] Preacher

Post by TiLT »

I can see why they're showing the first five episodes again, since they crashed with Game of Thrones. I still can't fathom why they put Preacher head to head with the biggest TV series ever.
Insert witty comment here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rshetts2 wrote: The two episodes they have opened with the western setting in the 1800's, zero context at all so it makes no sense, unless you already understand what the tie in is.
I'm glad I wasn't supposed to understand that, because I totally didn't. I trust that they'll eventually tie it in.

Just gotta say that I wish they would subtitle the Irish guy's lines instead of Arseface. I can understand most of what Arseface is saying, but scarcely a word that comes out of the vampire's mouth.
rshetts2 wrote:
This Thursday night ( June 30th ), AMC will air a “Preacher” catch-up/DVR marathon of the first five episodes of the current season, starting at 9:00 p.m. and running through 2:35 a.m. Friday morning. The sixth episode appears on AMC this Sunday in the show’s regular timeslot at 9:00 p.m.
Oh good. I was too lazy to look up the missing episode online (I'm not keen on watching TV on my computer anyway), so I'll tell my dvr to snag the "episode 1" that was really E2 tonight.
TiLT wrote:I can see why they're showing the first five episodes again, since they crashed with Game of Thrones. I still can't fathom why they put Preacher head to head with the biggest TV series ever.
Do people really still watch "live" TV? Once I enter something into the DVR schedule I don't care what day/time/channel it's on unless it conflicts with two other scheduled recordings (because the DVR can only do two things at a time, see).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Get this: AMC is bundling their reruns into 2-hour blocks and labeling them "new" with "bonus" content. That convinced my DVR to re-record the whole series...which I'm just going to let it do, because I've learned that it's best not to argue with the DVR (and because Wife's penchant for falling asleep in front of the TV might spur her to re-watch the whole thing).
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just gotta say that I wish they would subtitle the Irish guy's lines instead of Arseface. I can understand most of what Arseface is saying, but scarcely a word that comes out of the vampire's mouth.
I have been using the caption option on Preacher for that very reason. The funny thing is a lot of what he says still does not make much sense. The Irish can be very strange, indeed.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

rshetts2 wrote:
I have been using the caption option on Preacher for that very reason. The funny thing is a lot of what he says still does not make much sense. The Irish can be very strange, indeed.
Even if you read the words, you still have to know how to translate it to know what they mean. I've developed a pretty good ear for understanding accents, even very thick or messy ones - and while I don't know everything he says, I think I glean enough from the language, inflection, and situation to understand it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Episode 5 rates a 8.7 and great

Also seems its renewed for another season.

Saying the motel fight is one of the best on tv.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife and I absolutely love this show. I haven't read any of the comics, and don't really plan to since I'd rather they not color my experience. Any time a show can make me laugh out loud and squirm in fear/disgust in the same episode, it's a keeper.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I haven't watched tonight's yet, but I did watch the pilot again along with the one I'd missed...and it all makes more sense now. Probably going to re-watch the next four, since they're on the DVR, and then forge ahead.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, that opening fight scene pushed the show firmly into my number 1 spot for shows on tv right now.

And Ruth Negga is starting to grow on me as Tulip.

Jessie: "I'm not letting you have Genesis!"

Cassidy (just walking in): "You mean the bloody band?"

:lol:

Also, they couldn't have picked a more comedic look for the Seraphim. Even the stunted, quick walk she had made me laugh.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know anything about the actors that are playing DeBlanc and Fiore but they're perfect. I also thought it was pretty harsh to have a Nirvana sticker in Eugene's locker at school.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In the comics, Kurt Cobain's suicide was what drove Eugene to do what he did.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interesting. I didn't read 'em so I guess that was a nod to the fans. It jumped right out at me as soon as he opened the locker door. He's another great part of the show and I'm rather curious to see what happens now based on what Jesse just did...didn't see that coming at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was expecting them to reveal the circumstances behind Eugene's "incident" at some point. During that, I assumed they'd bring up the Cobain thing. But with this latest development, I'm not sure that's happening.

They diverge from the comics, but they've managed to keep true to the spirit of the series with surprising adeptness.
He won. Period.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Kraken wrote: I do wish they'd subtitle the vampire's lines, though. His brogue is too thick for me.
I asked Neal to turn the closed captioning on because of this. Sometimes the CC gets distracting (horse whinnies...dog barks...birds chirp...) but it's helpful for the thick accents and the soft talkers. And I sometimes get a bit more from the soundtrack since I see the lyrics.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's like watching Snatch with Brad Pitt. It's like a whole new movie with subtitles on when you can see everything he's actually saying. :D
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Since I started watching Preacher I have been known to use the word gobshite in casual conversation.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Last night's episode was tough nuts. I think I was about 5 seconds away from having a seizure during the "groundhog day" cut towards the end. Next week is the season finale and I have enjoyed this show a great deal.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just got caught up. We had to replay a scene and I'm still not 100% sure, but Wife maintains that
Spoiler:
when the tall angel tells the cowboy that he has to kill Preacher, it's Eugene's voice.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Are there 9 episodes or 10? My dvr recorded 9 but on episode 8 it said two episodes left and on the 9th it said one. I went to Amazon to see about the last episode but they have only 9 as well.

Also, I hate, hate, hate when stations label shows as "new" when they are just reruns with 30 seconds of extra/different content. I have stopped watching shows because of it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

EvilHomer3k wrote:Are there 9 episodes or 10? My dvr recorded 9 but on episode 8 it said two episodes left and on the 9th it said one. I went to Amazon to see about the last episode but they have only 9 as well.

Also, I hate, hate, hate when stations label shows as "new" when they are just reruns with 30 seconds of extra/different content. I have stopped watching shows because of it.
The pilot was episode 0. Yeah, that screwed up my DVR too.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Kraken wrote:Just got caught up. We had to replay a scene and I'm still not 100% sure, but Wife maintains that
Spoiler:
when the tall angel tells the cowboy that he has to kill Preacher, it's Eugene's voice.
Spoiler:
I dont think so. I think its just that the angels voice is shaky and cracking because he knows that the cowboy has a special power that puts his existence at greater risk than ever before. The similarity in the voice that is shared with Eugene is the angels fear for his continued existence. When you just pop back anytime youre killed, facing a permanent death has to be a bit core shaking.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That was some ending to Season one.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You want a new show to end the season with a bang.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice call out to a Breaking Bad episode towards the end there.

The story of the mascots may be the greatest subplot of the last decade.

This is definitely in my top 20 greatest shows ever now. I think it may even be as good as the source material.
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Also enjoyed the "Talking Preacher" segment that was on just after it. The actor that plays "Arseface" was there and got a unreleased vinyl of his character and someone in the audience got their own Meat Baby. :lol:

Helped me a lot as someone who hadn't read the source material, laid out some of the rational behind how they handled the first season.
-mf
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Well I sure as hell dont want Jesse coming to save my town! I think he messed up just a little bit there.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That was an amazing finale, right down to the soundtrack. I can't wait to see how they're gonna top that one. Tulip got her fries!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So...

Finally got around to watching the last episode.

Yeah...

Wow...

I...

Um...

Wha...

Huh...

Wow.

I did not foresee any of that. It's pretty rare these days to not be able to at least guess some of what is coming. Holy shit there was a lot packed into the last 15 minutes. Damn. I'm going to be processing for a while.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Steve Dillon the creator of the Preacher comics along with Punisher work has died at the age of 54
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Garth Ennis would like a word with you.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 2 starts on 6/25 and the first teaser trailer is here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that's it then. Going into hibernation until June 25th. See y'all in about 5 weeks.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IN!

And may I say, ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anyone else watch the premiere on Sunday night? Because it was absolutely bananas. I didn't realize it's moving to Monday nights (?) but apparently I have another one ready to go.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Loved both episodes.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Best...chase scene...evah. :lol:
He won. Period.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Shit, there was a second episode?

Grrrrr
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Okay cool, they will be playing them in the am, 4 and 5.

DVR do your thing.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Vudu.com had season 1 in HD for 10 bucks. I couldn't resist.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I never, in a million years, thought they'd get Herr Starr right.

I was wrong. Delightfully wrong.
He won. Period.