Books Read 2015

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

wanderingoutlaw

Re: Books Read 2015

Post by wanderingoutlaw »

I haven't been reading as much lately--I've been playing games on the PC more than usual.

Books Read 2015:
Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein
Mad Ship (Liveship Traders #2) by Robin Hobb
Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders #3) by Robin Hobb
Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by George Lucas (presumably Alan Dean Foster actually wrote this novelization of the movie but doesn't get credit in my edition)
A Death on Diamond Mountain: A True Story of Obsession, Madness, and the Path to Enlightenment by Scott Carney
Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie
The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson
Child of a Rainless Year by Jane Lindskold
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett
Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2) by Ann Leckie
Natural Born Heroes: How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance by Christopher McDougall
Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Currently Reading:
Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training Body and Mind by Sakyong Mipham
Last edited by wanderingoutlaw on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Private LA by James Patterson :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Jack Morgan is back in this seventh installment of the series. Taking place at the LA headquarters, we again have multiple story lines going on in this fast-pace novel about the Private investigation agency. Stories include the disappearance a very public (somewhat modeled after Brad and Angelina) movie star couple; a domestic terrorist group engaged in random public killings that is trying to extort the city out of millions, and finally, personal drama involving Jack himself as his brother, accused of capital murder, tries to bring him down as well.

There are some twists we don't see coming (particularly in the movie star story line) and the book is fast-paced. It's not the best book of the series, but it's probably in the top 3.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Magicians by Lev Grossman :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Harry Potter with vices and a book within a book sums up this novel. A cast of rather unlikeable characters, starring a mopey teen, Quentin, find themselves taking entrance exams for Breakbills Academy, a college for magicians. Quentin, along with Penny, Alice, and others, make the cut. The school is a 5 year program, and most of the book tells the story of their education (this is the start of a trilogy, so other adventures are to follow).

Before being whisked away to magic school, Quentin was involved in a fantasy novel series set in a mystical land called Fillory. Quentin didn't realize this escapist text was actually a historical narrative...something fleshed out in the second half of the book.

Quentin, and the others, are entirely unlikeable characters. Some don't survive, and I'm okay with that, I wish more of them didn't. There's the obligatory setup for the next book at the end, but it's tough to work up enthusiasm for it. When the graduate magicians go to Fillory, it's like being dropped into a simplistic fantasy novel -- even the characters realized they need only play out the plot line, whatever it was. A clever idea...but executed with a teenage simplicity that is more annoying than charm.

Grossman's writing isn't all bad, but the story doesn't rise above teen angst. I'm a little interested in where the story goes next, but my library doesn't have audiobook versions of the last two books and Kindle versions will have to wait in a long queue before I get to them.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Tried and failed to read The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco. I was given this by my Sister knowing that I like historical fiction, but I couldn't make it past the first 10 pages before I realized it wasn't going to be my cup of tea. She even had it signed by the author. Basically a book about conspiracies and anti-semitism, which was a bit much to handle. Didn't like the style either.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir:
The Martian is the first published novel[1] by American author Andy Weir. It was originally self-published in 2011 after which Crown Publishing purchased the rights and re-released it in 2014. A science fiction novel, the story follows an American astronaut, Mark Watney, as he becomes stranded alone on Mars and must improvise in order to survive.[2][3][4] It has been described as an Apollo 13 meets Cast Away.[5] The Martian, a film adaptation directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon, is scheduled for release in November 2015.[6][7]
Really, really enjoyed it. Great blend of scientific/technical writing and adventure. I found Watney to be an amazingly endearing character, although I had to suspend disbelief at times regarding his incredibly upbeat and positive attitude to an incredibly challenging (at times, hopeless) situation.

Now, I'm in a space groove. Anyone have any recommendations for something from the space-faring sci-fi section of the library?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Ready Player One" (I know, I'm late) and it's a lot of fun, a real tribute to the 80's
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just finished "A Night to Remember," widely considered one of the best books on the Titanic because it was sourced from first-hand accounts of the survivors. Quick read but fascinating.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just finished The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks. Third installment of the Lightbringer series. Definitely A list, if not quite A++.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kurth wrote:Just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir:
The Martian is the first published novel[1] by American author Andy Weir. It was originally self-published in 2011 after which Crown Publishing purchased the rights and re-released it in 2014. A science fiction novel, the story follows an American astronaut, Mark Watney, as he becomes stranded alone on Mars and must improvise in order to survive.[2][3][4] It has been described as an Apollo 13 meets Cast Away.[5] The Martian, a film adaptation directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon, is scheduled for release in November 2015.[6][7]
Really, really enjoyed it. Great blend of scientific/technical writing and adventure. I found Watney to be an amazingly endearing character, although I had to suspend disbelief at times regarding his incredibly upbeat and positive attitude to an incredibly challenging (at times, hopeless) situation.

Now, I'm in a space groove. Anyone have any recommendations for something from the space-faring sci-fi section of the library?
Consider Leviathan Wakes. I have read the first 3 and am picking up the fourth. Excellent space opera that does not disappoint.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

What Jayman said, on all accounts. First, The Martian is a very good read. And definitely consider Leviathan Wakes. Its modern space opera at its best. Also a big thumbs up for Brent Weeks Lightbringer series, as well. Excellent fantasy series with a unique system of magic. A lot of fun so far.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Lost Island by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

This is the third book of the Gideon Crew series by Preston and Child. I liked the other two a lot. Gideon Crew is a talented thief recruited to work for a black ops organization. He has a fatal congenital brain disorder and has a very limited life span. At the time of this book, he has an estimated 10 months to live.

His boss, Glynn, is confined to a wheel chair after an assignment gone awry. He fancies himself as a savant in predictive sciences. He relies a lot...too much, on his mathematical models and forecast outcomes. He especially likes working with Gideon because when the models predict doom and gloom, he finds a way out (ala McGuyver).

This book starts out with an assignment for Crew to steal a page from the Book of Kells, an Irish national treasure. Security during a traveling exhibit to the US was seemingly tight, but of course, former art thief Crew finds a way and page is acquired. However it's not the illuminated manuscript Glynn and cohorts are interested in. The vellum is recycled and what was previously on it IS the object of their interest.

What follows borrows from The Odyssey, The Lost World, and King Kong. Crew, and his assigned companion, Amy (Amico), are set upon a quest to find a substance that can cure any condition, including regrowing a lost limb. The premise, of course, it utterly absurd...such a cure would have to be able to replicate an ideal human DNA and replace errant copies, as well as perform other regenerative tasks. So the premise is a major plot hole.

From here, the book begins a slow ascent to even greater absurdity. The Odyssey, it seems, is not a work of fiction, but a travelogue, culminating in Central America. The object of the quest, naturally, it found on an island that time forgot. The vellum was DNA tested for its origin and found to be 97% human. Somehow from the differences they extrapolate the source had but one eye...

The first third of the book...before the silliness started, was good. Not sure why Lincoln and Child went off the deep end...it wasn't necessary and surely this book will taint subsequent novels in the series. If you can check your brain, you might enjoy it; as much as I wanted to like it, I just can't forgive it's unnecessary silliness and now I'm afraid this will stain future books in the series.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Martian by Andy Weir
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington #1)
The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington #2)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Angel's Ink" by Jocelyn Drake 6 out of 8 tentacles

Urban fantasy... Imagine a world much like Shadowrun, where trolls, vamps, elfs etc. roam the land, and humans can be trained for warlocks and witches, among other things. Where tattoo when mixed with potions can have magical powers... Gage Powell is a tattoo artist... who mixed a mean potion too... but he's more. He actually escaped from his Warlock trainer/mentor, and now he's holed up with an elf (pretending to be human) and a troll all doing ink... With a minor caveat... He can never use magic in the mortal realm... except in self-defense.

When a girl stricken with cancer with mere days to live came to his door seeking angel wing tattoo on her back, Gage decided to do a little somethin special. He used a tiny frond of a feather... believed from an actual Angel, along with some lily pollen, in the tattoo ink. Now the Grim reaper union is mad at him because he had made a girl immortal and their rep wants Gage's soul if he didn't figure out how to reverse the condition. The local mob (actually dark elves) want a piece of his action and didn't take too kindly when he turned one of the minor Werewolf bosses into a Chihuahua (for 2 weeks). His former mentor wants him dead, believing that's the only thing preventing him from ascending to a seat on the elite Ivory Tower council. And his colleague/not-quite flirting partner is being chased by... the Elite Guards of the Elf King for the past 300 years... because she refused to be a concubine. And his "monitor" from the elite Council to make sure he abides by the no magic rule is practically riding his ***. And Gage has less than 3 days to solve all these problems. How will he get out of this mess... and hopefully keep his life and soul?

I don't generally read urban fantasies but this one is rather... cute. I think I got it as either HumbleBundle or StoryBundle. I understand the world well enough, and given the amount of stubborn obstinance from Gage Powell it's a lot of fun to read. While not a romance, there's a steamy sex scene in the middle when Gage finally get to bed the girl / elf of his dreams. All the characters seem to behave just about right, nothing majorly out of place, though being book 1 of a series there were a lot of balls left up in the air for the later books. If you dig this genre, it's a fun read.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just finished The Bowl of Heaven by Gregory Benford and Larry Niven. Fairly "hard" sci-fi, which apparently met with mixed reviews (see link). But I used to love Niven back in the day, so I gave it a try. The aliens were a bit underwhelming, but at least I can tell you it is a page turner, and I was glad I had the second volume in hand when I finished it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

"The Girl on the Train" should have stayed on the train. Dreck.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Burning Man" by Alan Russell, a Gideon and Sirius novel.

(Could have swore I did post this, but can't find it?)

LAPD officer Michael Gideon and his police dog partner Sirius became reluctant celebrities after capturing a notorious serial killer in the midst of an inferno, and they all left scarred. Hailed as heroes, they were chosen to be a new "Special Cases Unit" to tackle extraordinary cases... When a teen was found crucified in a city park, Gideon and Sirius are handed this case, while he also tries to solve a dead baby left near a monastery. As he investigates, he's finding that the dead teen was no saint, but a true bully and harasser. Could one of the victims have struck back? As Gideon searches for the truth, he's navigating the LAPD bureaucracy, confronting his PTSD demons, and trying to survive his weekly hellish meeting with the serial killer, i.e. Santa Ana Strangler i.e. Weatherman at San Quentin Penitentiary as the request of the FBI profilers. Gideon gets by with a truly sarcastic wit, but his partner Sirius and his friends knew the real him. Can Gideon find the true perp, as well as mother of the dead baby? And what is the price he will have to pay?

Michael Gideon disguises his vulnerable self with a sharp tongue and few people knew the real him: his partner Sirius, his Shaman, his priest, and sort-of girlfriend. to the top brass of LAPD, he's a guy to be used for PR value along with Sirius. To the rank and file, he's a cranky guy to be avoided and be jealous of, unless you can take the joshing and dish some out in return. He is a pretty complex character. His nemesis, the "Weatherman" strangler, enjoys tormenting him by proxy via messages, mail, packages, all untraceable, but no doubt it came from him. As some sort of a Doomsday Messiah, the Weatherman seem to understand Gideon as much, if not more so, then Gideon himself. Still don't quite get his motivation, the nemesis just comes across as creepy, not evil.

The case as a procedural is pretty good, as they chase down one lead after another, got distracted by red herrings, and so on. Juxtaposing multiple cases as well as various relationships makes for an interesting balance act. I'm not a pet person period, but I like the way they read each other's mind, sort of.

All in all, fun book. I just got started on book 2: Guardians of the Night
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Zero-History ... words=1945

Year Zero: A History of 1945 by Ian Buruma

This was a very very good book. I never thought much about what happened when the war was declared over. It is easy to see the foundation of many of todays world issues. Highlights include the real lack of prosecution of most of the declared war criminals in Germany and Japan- the most egregious being a Japanese doctor we knew performed chemical and biological experiments on prisoners yet he avoided prosecution so we could supposedly keep his knowledge from the Soviets.
Life was pretty tough almost everywhere on the world for the bulk of the year after the war was over except for the USA which may explain why we tend not to understand different peoples may view the world.

The book touches on almost every area of the world post war but only for 1945. The Middle East, Southeast Asia, Japan, Europe, the Mediterranean, Russia and China.

Highly recommended
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished Guardians of the Night by Alan Russell, book 2 in the Gideon and Sirius novel.

LAPD detective Michael Gideon and his police dog partner Sirius work the Special Cases Unit... the special cases that are weird even by LA standards. And this one is so weird, it may be... out of this world...

Ronald "Wrong" Pauley is a homeless wino that prefers to stay sauced every night... until there's a detonation of light, and he sees what he described as a "being of light" in the alley, and ended up witnessing what he described as murder of a fallen angel.

Michael Gideon and partner Sirius are already on a case trying to discover the identity of who the media dubbed "The Reluctant Hero", who appeared out of nowhere at an elementary school, tackled the shooter amidst gunfire, then disappeared without a trace. LAPD needs a PR opportunity, and media needs a hero.

When "Wrong" Pauley turned up dead a day later, Gideon and Sirius have their work cut out for them... Was it an angel... or was it some advanced technology like drones and holograms? And Gideon's investigation lead him to a defense contractor "OZ", and their leader, who has some powerful resources at his disposal...

The dog didn't have to do too much saving the day, and Gideon is fighting his demons a bit less, but when the Weatherman had somehow interfered in the case, and potential perps turned up dead, can Gideon live with himself, as well as dispense justice... even though he had to twist some arms to make it happen?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

White Fire by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

With a trilogy of family-related business wrapped up, our pretentious crime fighter, Aloysius Peminndergast is back for book #13. This time, though, Pendergast plays a supporting role to young protégé, Corrie, whom he is putting through a prestigious police academy. Corrie is vying for a prize, to win she needs to first get the dean's approval on the topic then attempt solve what are typically cold case files. And the one she chooses is colder than most -- miners allegedly killed by a ravaging bear in Colorado. The town is now an exclusive resort area populated by movie stars and other millionaires. And some aren't too keen on Corrie's snooping are ound investigating something long dead.

The book starts with a meeting between Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle. Wilde, it seems, passed through this town while on a tour of the US and picked up on the gruesome story about the bear attacks. Conan Doyle then incorporated some of this story into a Sherlock Holmes adventure that proved too shocking for Victorian sensibilities and was lost, never published; Lost, that is, until Pendergast takes an interest.

The story was well paced and well polished. My only gripe is Corrie. She is becoming insufferably annoying and prone to feats of epic stupidity. She really didn't deserve to survive this story. Thankfully, the next story in the series is all about Special Agent Pendergast with no Corrie in sight (1/4 through it).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

In the mid-90's, humorist Bill Bryson decided he would take on the monumental feat of walking the Appalachian Trail. The AT runs approximately 2100 miles from George to Maine (there's a whole chapter discussing measurement of its precise length). A friend of his, Katz, offers to come along. A reformed alcoholic, single, middle-aged couch potato, Katz didn't seem to give it much thought when agreeing to go. We all know that kind of guy...the one who wants to come along for the party, even if there is little party to be had.

Taking up hiking and starting with such an extraordinary adventure is kind of like taking up running and immediately signing up for an ultra marathon. While Bryson researched this trip for nearly a year before starting, the lack of actual experience meant he was still woefully unprepared. Bryson conveys the history of the trail, history of certain landmarks along the way, and the culture of fellow hikers throughout the course of the book.

Slowed down from the start by unusually brutal weather, Bryson and Katz quickly fell off the pace required to finish in the typical 7 months it takes for successful hikers to complete the journey. Side trips to towns get a little longer, and start to expand beyond a night in an inn and some hot gruel. Before long, they are renting cars, and catching up on the distance deficit the easy way. In the end, they actually hiked nearly 40% of the trail -- a good effort, and Bryson spins this into a fine story. I like to hike, but I've never been tempted by the AT (not after watching Deliverance when I was a kid). Reading this book makes me less inclined -- the hardships endured were real, and the "this is why we do this" moments seemed too few and too far between. I'll stick to day hikes for now, when I know what to expect when I get there, and can choose to endure bad weather or not.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Out of the Woods by William D. Carl :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

This is the second horror book I've read in a month that draws from Lovecraft's "old gods" creation. Cthulhu and friends are a happy bunch of horrific monster-gods that seem to want to come to our world for something something and then need vanquishing. Out of the Woods is a formulaic horror story where Lovecraft's bizarre novels may, fact, be more non-fiction than they might have appeared.

Bob and Deena are both doctors working at a closing mental hospital (naturally). The day before closing, a new patient is dropped off by local police, who don't know what else to do with him. Gary is spouting all sorts of end-of-the-world non-sense, except that he seems particularly lucid. When he draws Bob a map showing caves containing drawings that an unknown village has taken to revere as some sort of holy text, Bob and Deena set off to investigate the cave and look for the village.

The cave is exactly what Gary described...a pictorial instruction on how to bring the Old One into this world through an inbreeding program. When Bob and Deena discover the village, it indeed is rife with mutated people, victims of generations of incestuous breeding. Gary said he was the "Preacher", a prophet that would be the portal for the Old One to pass into this world.

After the villagers get nutty and pursue Bob and Deena back to civilization, the two doctors go to speak again with Gary, who is incensed over their visiting the village after being told not to. Rollo, a guard, meanwhile was being treated for a most unusual bite wound. A few patients remain, as well as several guards, a nurse, and the hospital administrator. Following the canonical path of horror movies dating back to Friday the 13th, these extras form a posse that you wouldn't want to be a member of.

The action is fast paced. and the characters are rather well developed. Carl uses a bludgeon for foreshadowing, however, so the outcome really isn't all that surprising. The end game does trend toward silliness, however, particularly in regards to the Old One's "portal." It was an enjoyable, quick read, though, if you like Lovecraft, you'll probably enjoy this story.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Love that Bill Bryson book, Jeff. I alctually gave it to my Dad a few Christmases ago after having read it and he found it fantastic. Did you know they've made a movie? Coming out later this year, I believe. They have Robert Redford playing Bryson and Nick Nolte as Katz.

A Walk in the Woods - IMDB
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Wasteland Saga: Three Novels" by Nick Cole

Three stories, shared background, somewhat linked crew. Sort of like Fallout where US ended up with a nuclear war with the Chinese and the entire country is kaput, but there were no vaults, and people survived out in the open with what they can, and some even rebuilt civilization... to what they can. It was a bleak and unforgiving existence, and often, the worst predators are fellow humans.

Each story has a few twists and turns, and is told in limited third-person POV where the main character shared his thoughts.

The first novel had "The Old Man" leaving his village on a salvage mission... Toward a possible salvation of "Fort Tucson". Is that place real or mythical? What trials will he meet along the way, and what will he do when he got there?

In the 2nd book, "The Boy" had followed Staff Sergeant Pressley, who was sent out from the West Coast and explored all the way East to Washington D.C., and back. Took him years, but with the help of the boy he found (parents slaughtered) and brought up the boy grew up to be a fine warrior, but the old Sargeant knew he won't make it back to West Coast. So the Boy carried on his mission... Through wilderness, friends, enemies, army of outlaws, and even the Chinese Garrison, or what's left of it, where he found purpose, but had it suddenly ripped from him. He wandered into the Desert, wanting to die... then...

In the 3rd book, The Old Man's village received a visitor... There is a vault... in Cheyenne Mountain, old NORAD, that did survive, but front is irradiated. ONE MAN made it out, looking for help, because the village had turned on an FM radio and is the only way to get there. That man died of radiation miles before reaching the village, but he was found by a village scout. And the old man, along with his granddaughter, decided to go on a rescue mission... with the tank. Along the way, they ran into the Boy (in 2nd novel) and rescued him, and gave him purpose to live again. Can they make it to Colorado in time to rescue the bunker? What trials will they encounter along the way? Who will live, and who will die?

The bleak atmosphere of the 3 books is very personal, and very dark, and the savagery of fellow humans is very hard to read at time, but there is always a bit of hope, that perhaps the Good will prevail against evil, and sacrifices will not be in vain. Each character is clear and properly motivated, and there were twists and turns in the story that surprised me somewhat. perhaps life... will continue, and civilization will be rebuilt... with the sacrifices of a few men and women who continued to believe in a brighter future.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kasey Chang wrote:Finished "Wasteland Saga: Three Novels" by Nick Cole

Three stories, shared background, somewhat linked crew. Sort of like Fallout where US ended up with a nuclear war with the Chinese and the entire country is kaput, but there were no vaults, and people survived out in the open with what they can, and some even rebuilt civilization... to what they can. It was a bleak and unforgiving existence, and often, the worst predators are fellow humans.

Each story has a few twists and turns, and is told in limited third-person POV where the main character shared his thoughts.

The first novel had "The Old Man" leaving his village on a salvage mission... Toward a possible salvation of "Fort Tucson". Is that place real or mythical? What trials will he meet along the way, and what will he do when he got there?

In the 2nd book, "The Boy" had followed Staff Sergeant Pressley, who was sent out from the West Coast and explored all the way East to Washington D.C., and back. Took him years, but with the help of the boy he found (parents slaughtered) and brought up the boy grew up to be a fine warrior, but the old Sargeant knew he won't make it back to West Coast. So the Boy carried on his mission... Through wilderness, friends, enemies, army of outlaws, and even the Chinese Garrison, or what's left of it, where he found purpose, but had it suddenly ripped from him. He wandered into the Desert, wanting to die... then...

In the 3rd book, The Old Man's village received a visitor... There is a vault... in Cheyenne Mountain, old NORAD, that did survive, but front is irradiated. ONE MAN made it out, looking for help, because the village had turned on an FM radio and is the only way to get there. That man died of radiation miles before reaching the village, but he was found by a village scout. And the old man, along with his granddaughter, decided to go on a rescue mission... with the tank. Along the way, they ran into the Boy (in 2nd novel) and rescued him, and gave him purpose to live again. Can they make it to Colorado in time to rescue the bunker? What trials will they encounter along the way? Who will live, and who will die?

The bleak atmosphere of the 3 books is very personal, and very dark, and the savagery of fellow humans is very hard to read at time, but there is always a bit of hope, that perhaps the Good will prevail against evil, and sacrifices will not be in vain. Each character is clear and properly motivated, and there were twists and turns in the story that surprised me somewhat. perhaps life... will continue, and civilization will be rebuilt... with the sacrifices of a few men and women who continued to believe in a brighter future.
I loved these books...
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Illium and Olympos by Dan Simmons

I'm reviewing these two books together. If you've read any Dan Simmons, you'll know that his stories are unusual. These stories take place with three very different worlds. The first involves a professor who is resurrected and allowed to watch afull-on reenactment of the Trojan War and report to the Olympic gods on any discrepancies. The second takes place on the moons of Jupiter as the unique cyborgs that work there are drawn into a strange mystery around Mars. The third involves humans of the future who live on Earth and are protected from dinosaurs by lethal robots. It's all very weird. Like the book The Terror, I found the story best when you had no idea what was going on and the explanations weren't entirely satisfying. It's a good read though.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "The Taken (Celestial Blues Book One)" by Vicki Pettersson

Grif is a "guardian"... working for God guiding the recently departed to the Everlast. Having been violently murdered 50 years ago, along with his beautiful wife Evie didn't help his attitude much, but he does his job, and it was supposed to be an easy assignment. The girl just had her throat slashed in a seedy hotel attempting to meet an informant. In a moment of weakness, Grif allowed the girl a temporary flick in life to change to a different set of cloths to have died in, but little did he realized in doing so, he had changed fate of the girl's parner, "Kit" Craig. For that indiscretion, Grif was cast back down to earth and wearing flesh once again. To atone, he is ordered to track down Katherine "Kit" Craig, intrepid girl reporter (and newspaper owner) who is the partner of the girl that was killed, in order to reap her soul as well... but something made him interfere in the event that was to be her death, and Kit lived. Now Grif's superiors in Everlast want him to fix things on Earth, while he's desperately looking for leads to who killed him and his beloved Evie, but he can't help but to fall for Kit Craig in the now, even as Kit discovered corruption so deep in the Sin City is almost staggers the mind, and she's doubting whether this man who saved her is delusional or merely mislead. As Grif and Kit readies the showdown, the guardians from the Everlast are closing in. Can Grif alter fate? Who will be left standing at the end?

I don't usually read books with a heavily religious overtone (there had been few exceptions) but this one, which I got in a StoryBundle, is quite good. Grif was basically 50's man, with complex needs that did evolve through the book. Part of the book is about letting go, and Grif managed to do that. Kit is an interesting character, as she's, in author's words, "cavalier". There's obviously a bit of romance involved between Grif and Kit. The bad guys are sufficiently evil that gets truly disgusting at times, but that's the way bad guys are.

All in all, probably 6 out of 8 tentacles. I can put it down, but it's quite good.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just finished The Heist by Daniel Silva. Never read anything by him before, but I think he'll be my new goto for spy fiction. So good! Main character is sort of like a Middle-Eastern Bond, and the writing is full of panache remeniscent of Bond. Good stuff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

OLD VENUS An anthology of science fiction short stories, edited by G. R. R. Martin. The stories are written in classic 'Golden Age of Science Fiction' fashion wherein Venus is inhabitable and occupied by Russians, Americans, and, of course, Venusians. It's sort of a companion book to 'Old Mars.'

The well-produced audiobook, with several excellent narrators, wasn't a good choice for me. I'm a long-time uber-fanatic audiobook reader but the stories would end before I truly understood the premise, characters, jargon, concepts. I listened to 2/3 of the audiobook before deleting it.

Fortunately, the library had a deadwood version of Old Venus and I discovered while none of the stories blew me away, I did enjoy the retro style of the stories and - now that I could re-read a paragraph and comfortably stop and digest an usual term or alien concept - discovered the stories were straightforward.

It's scary though to have listened as intently as I usually do and find that I'm not 'getting' something that should be easy listening. Short stories with weird character names, titles, places, cultures are no longer something I can pick up on the fly.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Dark Tower - Stephen King

After I read the first one, I was borderline deciding whether or not to continue (and purchase the second, etc). So glad I did. While I felt the first left the reader almost too much in the dark (too many unanswered questions leaves me frustrated), the second one, which IMO is QUITE different, is a page turner...something I have been lusting after for sooo long with no joy until now. So many books I have started, and stopped, looking for something that would really hook me.

It's good enough so far that whilst flying in coach, in the far back, subtly fighting over the middle arm rest with an arm rest bully, I couldn't stop reading the damn thing, even when the chop hit and I felt slightly woozy. THAT's a good book, and as mentioned, exactly what I was needing.

Here's hoping the rest of the book (and series) continues to enthrall.

As a standalone, I would probably not rate the first very high on a scale of 1-10...maybe a 6.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Prime Asset" by C.G. Cooper (free on Amazon Kindle)

Cal Stokes, head of "Stokes Security International", is an ex-marine that never shied away from violence when it's for the right cause... like justice. When the company tech wiz Neil Patel disappeared attending a tech conference in Jackson Hole Wyoming, Stokes and a team of security pros scrambled. Patel was not only a friend, he's a tech genius and computer hacker that has serious national security implications should he fall into the wrong hands. With possible mole within and threats from without, an old enemy to Cal's father has apparently surfaced and taken Patel to be sold for a large payday. As the team head into middle of a snowstorm in the Wyoming winter, who will be left standing?

(NOTE: the first 3 books in a 10 book series are free on Amazon)

The books reads a little formulaic, but they are good reads if you like the genre, where Stokes is the hard but fair leader who's not afraid to get in front of bullets to save his friends and see justice done, and bad guys get their comeuppance... eventually. 5 out of 8 tentacles.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote:Love that Bill Bryson book, Jeff. I alctually gave it to my Dad a few Christmases ago after having read it and he found it fantastic. Did you know they've made a movie? Coming out later this year, I believe. They have Robert Redford playing Bryson and Nick Nolte as Katz.

That combo is going to be a little off in terms of age. Bryson and Katz were in their 40's, IIRC, when they did this hike in the mid-90's. Should be entertaining though.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Love that Bill Bryson book, Jeff. I alctually gave it to my Dad a few Christmases ago after having read it and he found it fantastic. Did you know they've made a movie? Coming out later this year, I believe. They have Robert Redford playing Bryson and Nick Nolte as Katz.

That combo is going to be a little off in terms of age. Bryson and Katz were in their 40's, IIRC, when they did this hike in the mid-90's. Should be entertaining though.

Yeah, I agree about the casting. An odd choice given the age discrepancy from those in the book. I would have chosen younger people, but I guess they wanted to go with higher profiled actors.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

On an icy planet, Breq is coming close to completing her quest...

Once, she was the AI of a giant warship: Sword of Toren, controlling thousands of soldiers, serving the Radch, protecting humanity among the stars.

Then one day, in an act of treachery that not even she fully understands, all that was ripped away, leaving her with one fragile human body, a ton of unanswered questions, and a desire for vengeance.

The book sounds like a standard adventure novel, but it's also a very interesting mystery, as Breq struggles to learn what is really going on, and who gave the order that had the rest of her destroyed, and how. It also dealt with a very interesting method of rule: the ruler is almost physically present everywhere through use of clones and ansible technology, so it operates sort of as separate parts of the same mind, or different appendages of the same body. The ships use the same technique to control the ship, and control the ancillary units as both servants, advisors, AND soldiers. And then there's a question that must be asked which is the main thrust of the book...
Spoiler:
What happens... when that communication was cut, and each separate unit / body had to act on their own? Would they still think alike... or will some of them... go rogue?
The book sometimes reads confusing because the Radch language only uses a single gender: she, both both male and female, but it's used to highlight the alien effect.

There's no huge battles but there are action sequences that are quite good, and characterization is excellent. I would give this... 6.5 tentacles out of 8.

Sequel "Ancillary Sword" is out, and the final chapter, Ancillary Mercy, is due in October.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Inventing Modern: Growing up with X-Rays, Skyscrapers, and Tailfins by John H. Lienhard

Part history, part science, part philosophy, part old man rambling about his youth.

The author is retired Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Houston, and member of the National Academy of Engineering.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Cartoon reviews of books. Pretty good stuff. Liked his reviews of Ishiguro's Buried Giant and Tartt's The Goldfinch. Done in only a few panels and done well. Plenty more too. Worth looking at.

Rumpus.net. Horn! Reviews
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blue Labryrinth by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

In which our hero finds his humility. Of course, teaching Aloysius Pendergast a lesson is no small task. To get his attention, his sociopathic son Alban is delivered on his door step, quite dead. Who could best this rival of Pendergast himself? The clues lead to an abandon resort town in New Mexico, where he smells lilies...

Pendergast is plagued by the doings of long-dead ancestors more than any other character in literature. It seems one of these ancestors who also happens to take credit for the large fortune Pendergast enjoys was something of a snake oil salesman. Except the snake oil worked for a time...then it killed the user. Oops. A cure came too late to save his own wife, and besides, one of the ingredients was a plant now extinct.

Pendergast is actually incapacitated through a large portion of the end game in this book, his ward, Constanza, taking the lead role. Which is fine, she is every bit as competent as Pendergast himself when it comes to MacGuyvering her way out of a tough situation. She certainly knows how to rack up a body count.

In the end, Pendergast takes responsibility for his ancestor's crimes and does what he feels is the right thing, something he didn't do when he vanquished another ancient ancestor earlier in the series. When called on it, he said he'd rather live with the guilt than live as a pauper. At least he's not disingenuous.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Monty Python meets Douglas Adams and dances to the music of Queen in this end-of-the-world farce. Angels, devils and demons are all cruising around England preparing for the end of times, as prophesized by a witch, Agnes Nutter, who had a reputation of truthful prophesies but most were excessively mundane. The more in tune you are with British humor, the more you'll like this book. There are parts where I laughed out loud, and other parts I undoubtedly just didn't get. But over all it's a quick, funny read. But if you happen to find religious humor blasphemous and get all twitchy/bomby over it. do us all a favor and stay away from this book.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Emperor's Tomb: A Novel (Cotton Malone) by Steve Berry :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Cassiopeia Witt is in trouble. She has been kidnapped and is being water boarded in an effort to get her to disclose the location of a lamp from an ancient Chinese tomb. The torture is being broadcast to Cotton Malone, whom it is though Witt gave the lamp to. After many adventures together, Malone was not about to stand idle while Witt is tortured.

The story that follows takes place in China, where three ancient disciples of Mao vie for power and the ability to set the future course of China. The crux of the story revolves around a theory that not all oil is fossil fuel, that it is created by the earth and endlessly replenished. Proving this makes all of the difference: with China's reliance on foreign oil and the fact they can be cut off with just two blockades far away, they forever have be diplomatic, especially when dealing with the west. If they could knew their meager production was actually endless, though...release the hordes!

As with Berry's other novels in this series, a history lesson is wrapped up within the story. Unless you are well-read on Chinese history, though, you'll have to wait until for the historical notes at the end where Berry separates the fact from fiction. Witt and Malone endure, of course, but another recurring character does not survive (and Berry leaves it to the reader to ultimately decide why).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Manager's Craft: Exercising Control, Building Commitment, Sustaining Productivity by Dr. Glenn A. Bassett :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

As one who manages people, I enjoyed this book. As a historian, I really enjoyed this book.

This is the first book on business I've read that looks at 100 years of industrial research, points out where initial conclusions were not accurate, explains how data, though, is still useful and can be re-interpreted in a different light. Now. I didn't get to management through academic study, I rose through the ranks, as did my manager. Yet working in a Fortune 500 company, one can see how some of the evolution In industrial sciences led to where we are today. At least in terms of managing people within this country. Overseas I think is still largely in the dark ages and only because it is cost effective not to evolve to a more modern standard.

I learned a lot about industrial research -- not so much about applied management where I am a product of my current environment, which in turn follows standard practices outlined in this book. Unless you are a manager that holds all of the cards, not everything discussed is even practical (such as granting financial incentives to employees). I've always been a proponent of working within your means to achieve desired outcomes, and Bassett does offer good advice that in my case, validates what I already do. A large portion of the book is managing a different environment that I'm used to: factory workers, for example, and I found it interesting to read of the common challenges in that environment and compare it to the white collar management style my own field (IT) requires to achieve similar goals.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote:if you happen to find religious humor blasphemous and get all twitchy/bomby over it. do us all a favor and stay away from this book.
LOL. I snickered.