[movie] Star Wars Rogue One

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: [movie] Star Wars Rogue One

Post by hentzau »

I just turned down a free ticket for tonight. :cry:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Enlarge Image
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am going tomorrow morning, if I can get my credit card straight. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

hentzau wrote:I just turned down a free ticket for tonight. :cry:
:shock:

[I'm bowing out of this thread until Sunday.]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just got back - loved it - but I could see why there are mixed reactions to it critically. Saw it in 3D and on the fence if it was worth it - oh except it was the same price for some reason so no extra cost! :)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Should we start a spoiler thread? I haven't read this one at all. Just got back.
I have but one advocate.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just got back! It was incredible! Not perfect, but incredible.

I personally enjoyed it more than The Force Awakens. :shock:
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I don't know if I enjoyed it more, but it had fewer obvious flaws. I'd like to talk about them in a SPOILER THREAD.
I have but one advocate.
Chrisoc13

[movie] Star Wars Rogue One

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Saturday cannot come soon enough...

Also I'm seeing it in 3D because... It's the same price so... Yeah why not.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Disappointed. No spoilers.

Interesting battles. Uninteresting characters. Worst Star Wars villain ever. Heroes were boring. No characterization. Writing was at times cringeworthy. Gary Whitta and whoever else wrote this need to be exiled from ever working on Star Wars again. Mostly brilliant effects, of course. Watching X-Wings swoop into battle is almost enough to bring a tear to my eye. Several nice throwbacks to the old movies. If I were grading it I'd give it a B-/C+.
naednek

Post by naednek »

cheeba wrote:Disappointed. No spoilers.
Gary Whitta and whoever else wrote this need to be exiled from ever working on Star Wars again.

Wow he gets around. I remember him back in the day in PC Gamer
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

For what it's worth, spoiler thread now open.
I have but one advocate.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've got more in the spoiler thread, but in short: it has its flaws, but I had a blast and am looking forward to seeing it again on Sunday.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Flawed but fun? Sounds like they might have the Lucas magic, good and bad.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:Flawed but fun? Sounds like they might have the Lucas magic, good and bad.
Less flawed, more fun than I-III.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Great overall, some not-greats.

--ed moved to other thread because some people are really goddamn insane. If you're complaining about a certain mention of a person who is in the trailers then you really just need to not consume any media at all until you go see the movie.
Last edited by killbot737 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no hug button. Sad!
naednek

Post by naednek »

time to bow out. While not exactly spoilerish, the above post was enough to realize I need to refrain for another day when I do see it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Killbot, that should prob be in the other thread.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote:Killbot, that should prob be in the other thread.
Agreed. If someone had been actively avoiding any sort of spoilers, there's a pretty damn huge one in your post. :naughty:

I'm at 6 hours and counting. Can't wait!!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Especially when we have a spoiler thread specifically to keep this one clean. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote:I've only skimmed the thread as I am avoiding any spoilers - I haven't even seen a trailer in months.

Question - anyone see it in IMAX 3D? Is it worth it?
Just saw it in RealD 3D... I didn't see anything to make the 3d stand out... I guess maybe it stood out in its subtlety?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just came out of imax3d, will post impressions in a few hours due to pending errands.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

coopasonic wrote:
stessier wrote:I've only skimmed the thread as I am avoiding any spoilers - I haven't even seen a trailer in months.

Just saw it in RealD 3D... I didn't see anything to make the 3d stand out... I guess maybe it stood out in its subtlety?
All 3D seems to be more subtle now that it is common in so many effects-heavy movies. It was only dizzyingly noticeable in one scene looking down a shaft.
I have but one advocate.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

JetFred wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

All 3D seems to be more subtle now that it is common in so many effects-heavy movies. It was only dizzyingly noticeable in one scene looking down a shaft.
That's what she said

*rim shot*
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I saw it in IMAX 3d and around the last third I started getting the eye strain I usually get with faked 3d movies. It's definitely worth seeing for the size and sound of an IMAX screen, but if non-3d IMAX is an option to you then that's what I'd do.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

cheeba wrote:Disappointed. No spoilers.

Interesting battles. Uninteresting characters. Worst Star Wars villain ever. Heroes were boring. No characterization. Writing was at times cringeworthy. Gary Whitta and whoever else wrote this need to be exiled from ever working on Star Wars again. Mostly brilliant effects, of course. Watching X-Wings swoop into battle is almost enough to bring a tear to my eye. Several nice throwbacks to the old movies. If I were grading it I'd give it a B-/C+.
Yeah, I think I'm closest to cheeba's opinion on just about every point. With all of that said, I was entertained enough to probably give it a B. Not jumping back to see it again though. I'd put it in that admittedly wide chasm between Episodes 4-7, and Episodes 1-3. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, just not enthused. It is was it is.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got back. Wasn't perfect, but I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to see it again.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It was fun Star Wars tale, but I really miss jedi knights.

Didn't quite like the beginning, doesn't look that bad. The heavy wasn't that heavy, that I have to agree, but we may be too much into the nostalgia. The heavy just look moody and angry, with occasional sliminess. The good guys... too many of them, it's kinda hard to keep track. Battles are cool, but some of the stuff was just kinda WTF? But that's a cool twist on the space battle (hahaha) and it's a perfect lead-in to (censored).
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I saw it in Real 3D as well and yeah, the 3D effects add a nice depth to the movie but it really wasnt a throw stuff at you and make you jump kind of 3D. I have no visual/physical issues with 3-D movies, like some do, so for me the added depth is worth it but if 3D bothers you in any way, you really wont be missing much by watching it in 2-D.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote:I've got more in the spoiler thread, but in short: it has its flaws, but I had a blast and am looking forward to seeing it again on Sunday.
Sunday is the IMAX version?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The 3D was a nice touch in the space battles, but there wasn't enough of them to really make a difference.
naednek

Post by naednek »

killbot737 wrote:Great overall, some not-greats.

--ed moved to other thread because some people are really goddamn insane. If you're complaining about a certain mention of a person who is in the trailers then you really just need to not consume any media at all until you go see the movie.
Killbot, It wasn't the person you mentioned, infact I don't know who you mentioned, if it was spoilered I didn't read it. It was the music part you mentioned. While it wasn't a spoiler about story or character it was something I would have liked to realize on my own I guess. I do agree with what you said now that I've seen it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I've got more in the spoiler thread, but in short: it has its flaws, but I had a blast and am looking forward to seeing it again on Sunday.
Sunday is the IMAX version?
Yep, IMAX 3D. We just got back. For what it's worth, I liked it even more the second time. Definitely worth seeing it in IMAX 3D. The <redacted> over <redacted> was friggin' awesome in this format.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Family and I saw it on Friday in IMAX 3D. Didn't really think the 3D added much, but didn't have a choice, so as other people mentioned, it is worth it for IMAX for view and sounds.
Whole family loved it.
So glad they finally let us know what happened to Jar Jar. Was very surprised that the Emperor kept him around and trained him.
Looking forward to seeing more of him in Episode 8 as Snoke.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

:twisted:
I have but one advocate.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

cheeba wrote: If I were grading it I'd give it a B-/C+.
And what do you give TFA?

I am seeing this tomorrow with my 2 girls. Not taking the 6YO boy since he is a bit sensitive to scary or intense scenes in movies (not crying sensitive but 'leave the room' sensitive). Anyone take a kid that age?

I've read several articles about kids and this one saying this is the darkest, most intense (and probably most 'adult') SW of them all.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Not many happy funny aliens and droids and more (non-brutal) death.
I have but one advocate.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The couple next to us had two young children. I don't know the exact ages, but I'd guess 5-6 years old. They didn't seem to have issues. But he did say that he'd spent some time getting them into Star Wars.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
cheeba wrote: If I were grading it I'd give it a B-/C+.
And what do you give TFA?

I am seeing this tomorrow with my 2 girls. Not taking the 6YO boy since he is a bit sensitive to scary or intense scenes in movies (not crying sensitive but 'leave the room' sensitive). Anyone take a kid that age?

I've read several articles about kids and this one saying this is the darkest, most intense (and probably most 'adult') SW of them all.
I give Rogue One a B+. To me it's not as grand as TFA, but it hits the right notes and it's hugely enjoyable. I think I'd list it #4 (after Eps IV, V, and TFA). (I'm not a fan of Ep VI.) It has moments that rank with the best in the franchise.

It's a war movie, but not an "adult" one: there's a lot of action and excitement and many explosions, but there's little blood. Heroes die, but they do it heroically and with decency. There's plenty of tension, but I can't recall any moments of serious fear--TFA had more of that.

A sensitive 6YO might have a few problems with it, but it won't be long before he's old enough to watch it at home.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

The Kyle Ren / Han Solo scene in TFA was more intense than anything in Rogue One.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive