[movie] Star Wars Rogue One

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: [movie] Star Wars Rogue One

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon wrote:If that's what we get, I can live with it. I still hold some hope for more given Kevin Smith's ebullientedness.
I wouldn't put too much stock in Kevin Smith's reviews of Star Wars movies...
Kevin's Phantom Menace Review

Originally posted May 1999

I saw 'Episode One' tonight.

Hee-hee-hee! Ah - being in this business finally pays off.

The good folks at the BBC sent me to a press screening, so that I can review the flick next week for them. I offer my new Brit peeps a shoutout for that.

Of the film, I can say many things. But the long and short of it is that I liked it - quite a bit. I'd rank it right after 'Empire' in a list of fave 'Star Wars' flicks. It starts great, ends great, and has great stuff sprinkled in between.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ive seen several reviews that rave about it so Im not about to let a few negative reviews sway my interest. The one thing Ive seen in the positive reviews is that the movie diverges somewhat from the basic thematic formula of the other Star Wars and that may be why some are marking it down. Ill be seeing it on Friday in a very comfy recliner theatre.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Zaxxon wrote:...and then I read the NYT review. Ouch.
After reading that review I have to wonder if he has a bone to pick with Disney. He turns a request by Disney for reviewers to avoid spoilers into an Empire-like force choke on journalists. He even states halfway through the review that maybe he exaggerating his dislike. He then accuses anyone who likes the movie that they are merely Disney drones and are hopelessly trapped. A reviewer should review, not insult the audience for not seeing things his way.
It doesn’t so much preach to the choir as propagandize to the captives, telling us that we’re free spirits and partners on the journey. The only force at work here is the force of habit.
Yeah, thats not pretentious at all.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:If that's what we get, I can live with it. I still hold some hope for more given Kevin Smith's ebullientedness.
I wouldn't put too much stock in Kevin Smith's reviews of Star Wars movies...
Kevin's Phantom Menace Review

Originally posted May 1999

I saw 'Episode One' tonight.

Hee-hee-hee! Ah - being in this business finally pays off.

The good folks at the BBC sent me to a press screening, so that I can review the flick next week for them. I offer my new Brit peeps a shoutout for that.

Of the film, I can say many things. But the long and short of it is that I liked it - quite a bit. I'd rank it right after 'Empire' in a list of fave 'Star Wars' flicks. It starts great, ends great, and has great stuff sprinkled in between.
Ugh.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That Phantom Menace review was pretty damn funny looking back.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kevin Smith saw The Phantom Menace and claimed he couldn't place the Viceroy's accent, then decided it was... Czech?

Maybe the whole review was trolling.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To be fair to Kevin Smith, there were a LOT of die-hard Star Wars fans trying to put lipstick on that pig (Phantom Menace). I remember walking out of the theater and everyone trying their best to put on a brave face and say how great it was. Nobody wanted to believe the movie they had waited for their entire lives actually sucked.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Roger Ebert initially liked The Phantom Menace as well. But yeah, Kevin Smith is a fanboy who isn't going to crap on a new Star Wars movie when he sees it. Personally I kind of like his enthusiasm for the series. You just have to keep in mind it's not fair criticism.

I expect Rogue One to be... I don't know, actually. I haven't really paid too much attention to it. I'm not particularly excited about it, though I probably will go see it on Thursday night if I can.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I remember enjoying it too the first time I saw it. It's weird - I guess the experience of new Star Wars in the theatre (and the Darth Maul fight was a little cool in parts) up to that point made it seem better.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The beginning and end WERE cool. The rest of it was uneven and showed Lucas didn't understand the lightning he had caught in a bottle.

But I'm not a hater of the prequels. I kept hearing from a friend working on the Star Wars digital pinball to tone down our expectations on Episode One to "kid friendly" because of the daily film he was previewing. We were so jealous at the time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, when I rewatched episode one earlier this year with my daughter, the beginning in particular wasn't bad. Also Ewan McGregor was pretty good across the prequels - his performance really stands out (though the competition admittedly isn't fierce).
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've been avoiding reviews because I would go see this movie even if it were bad (the bad-ass shots in the trailer looking up at the Star Destroyers and AT-ATs are sufficient for me) and I want to avoid spoilers. But for people who have read reviews - has there been anything in reviews about the appropriate age level for the movie? My daughter is 7.5 YO and desperately wants to see the movie. For context she's seen all the other Star Wars movies and hasn't had much issue with the content in these, although this seems like a darker movie than most Star Wars.

Anyway, probably going to "pre-screen" it myself regardless, but I'm curious what the sense is on age level.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm in a similar position with a 7yo Star Wars fan and that's one of the benefits of work paying me to see it Friday morning. I don't have to gamble on going in blind with the kids.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie- ... ars-story#
this installment gets quite violent (somewhat more so than 2015's A Force Awakens), with scenes that make painfully clear the sacrifices and casualties necessary in a war against tyrannical evil. There's a high body count, as well as violence that's both large-scale ... and up close and personal.
It depends just how graphic it is.
Last edited by coopasonic on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My 6 and 4 year old sons have seen only the original trilogy. I didn't take them to TFA and they haven't seen it at home yet because that one felt just a little too mature for them. I'm taking them to see Rogue One though. It's time they saw one at the theaters.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote:My 6 and 4 year old sons have seen only the original trilogy. I didn't take them to TFA and they haven't seen it at home yet because that one felt just a little too mature for them. I'm taking them to see Rogue One though. It's time they saw one at the theaters.
With TFA (which I saw in the threater and my daughter saw at home) I was worried about the impact of Kylo Ren shanking Han, but she seemed to handle that ok (might have helped that she picked up from people in advance that Han bites it).

It's hard to predict what will scare a kid sometimes. My daughter saw Book of Life in the theatre with her aunt. We later watched it at home. She warned me that there was a "scary part" in the movie that she wanted me to be there with her for. Turned out it was a two-second bit where the hero gets bitten by a snake. Of course, like 20 minutes after that the hero fights this giant skeletal flame and smoke spewing undead bull. But of course the snake bite was the scary part.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I saw TFA in theaters with my boys (12 and 9 at the time) on one side and my own father on the other.

Dad and I were both pretty tense after Kylo and Han. My kids were fine.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote:It's hard to predict what will scare a kid sometimes. My daughter saw Book of Life in the theatre with her aunt. We later watched it at home. She warned me that there was a "scary part" in the movie that she wanted me to be there with her for. Turned out it was a two-second bit where the hero gets bitten by a snake. Of course, like 20 minutes after that the hero fights this giant skeletal flame and smoke spewing undead bull. But of course the snake bite was the scary part.
I was 9 when I saw Watership Down in theaters. There's a scene where the warren is buried and you see rabbits suffocating in a tunnel with no exit. It gave me a few nightmares, and for years afterwards I remembered the scene as lasting a long, painful time, so much so that I distinctly remembered wanting to look away and feeling unable to.

I watched the movie with my kids a couple of years ago. The scene in question lasts about a second and a half.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

El Guapo wrote:
Punisher wrote:
hentzau wrote:I promised my son that we would wait until his birthday on the 22nd to see it with the whole family.

Rotten kid.
Actually, I don't think that this one is kid safe... You should go Thursday to make sure.
This is a pending issue for me, since my daughter desperately wants to go see this. I'll have to pre-screen it for sure.
Worried about this too. My daughter will be devastated (severely bummed at least ) if she can't see it.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Redfive wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Punisher wrote:
hentzau wrote:I promised my son that we would wait until his birthday on the 22nd to see it with the whole family.

Rotten kid.
Actually, I don't think that this one is kid safe... You should go Thursday to make sure.
This is a pending issue for me, since my daughter desperately wants to go see this. I'll have to pre-screen it for sure.
Worried about this too. My daughter will be devastated (severely bummed at least ) if she can't see it.
Yeah, we kind of went through this with VII, and I read everything sans spoilers with everyone saying "oh, it is great for kids of all ages." Crap.

My son (now 5.5) had watched IV, V, VI, I, and II without issue. we went to this and he was actually scared by the hologram lord (whatever in the F that thing was - I am obviously not a fanboi) and when, in his words, "kylo ren pushed han solo off of the bridge."

I will be waiting on this one, not only due to the overhype of it is the second coming of "a new hope" (see what I did there?) but also to make sure it isn't as dark as VII.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:
El Guapo wrote:It's hard to predict what will scare a kid sometimes. My daughter saw Book of Life in the theatre with her aunt. We later watched it at home. She warned me that there was a "scary part" in the movie that she wanted me to be there with her for. Turned out it was a two-second bit where the hero gets bitten by a snake. Of course, like 20 minutes after that the hero fights this giant skeletal flame and smoke spewing undead bull. But of course the snake bite was the scary part.
I was 9 when I saw Watership Down in theaters. There's a scene where the warren is buried and you see rabbits suffocating in a tunnel with no exit. It gave me a few nightmares, and for years afterwards I remembered the scene as lasting a long, painful time, so much so that I distinctly remembered wanting to look away and feeling unable to.

I watched the movie with my kids a couple of years ago. The scene in question lasts about a second and a half.
The main scene I remember scaring me as a kid was the scene in The Neverending Story where they have to go between two giant unicorn-ish statues that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those weren't unicorns. (NSFW)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote: The main scene I remember scaring me as a kid was the scene in The Neverending Story where they have to go between two giant unicorn-ish statues that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.
I watched that a few years ago with my niece and nephew who were something like 8 and 6 at the time. The statues (sphinxes, not unicorns for the record) didn't scare them. But they couldn't watch when the horse got pulled into the muck.

edit: I should've known Isg would beat me to it...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BAM! :horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Holman wrote:

This movie scarred me for a while, too. I hated the first "vision" Fiver had because of the intensity, and the Black Rabbit of Inle scenes bothered me, as well. I later read the book in high school, and it is one of my all-time top 5 books.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: But they couldn't watch when the horse got pulled into the muck.
Who the hell could???

DON"T GIVE UP, ARTAX!
naednek

Post by naednek »

If my son can handle Anakin burning up in lava I think he'll be ok with this. Between that scene and the Emperor nuking Luke in Return of the Jedi he didn't seem to have any issues. I know I had issues with the emperor. I'm still scared of him at 40.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
El Guapo wrote: The main scene I remember scaring me as a kid was the scene in The Neverending Story where they have to go between two giant unicorn-ish statues that shoot laser beams out of their eyes.
I watched that a few years ago with my niece and nephew who were something like 8 and 6 at the time. The statues (sphinxes, not unicorns for the record) didn't scare them. But they couldn't watch when the horse got pulled into the muck.

edit: I should've known Isg would beat me to it...
Yeah I was a little hazy on the statues. The main issue was the eye beams.

And yeah, the dying horse was sad too. Curious why that doesn't really stand out for me in my recollection of watching the movie.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Horse was the worst part for my daughter. The chasing the bullies at the end made up for it though. She was DYING laughing. Oh and I'll wait a month before seeing this. I somehow avoided spoilers for the last one for 2 months so I'm happy to wait for the crowd to die down a bit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

My 9-y.o. had a couple of nightmares after I let him watch Alien, but he loved the movie.

Bad father, or *excellent* father?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Paying for psychologist father.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Watched the movie last night, and it was pure fan service in a good way. Loved it.

It's the darkest Star Wars movie yet by a wide margin though. While it's not very graphic, I would imagine that children could get quite upset with some of the things that happen in it. This is just as much of a war movie as it is an adventure movie, and no Star Wars movie has really gone into that territory before.
Insert witty comment here.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad to hear our first impressiOOns are positive.

This was far more fun than it has a right to be.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lucked into two tix for 10:15 showing tonight. Woo!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote:Glad to hear our first impressiOOns are positive.

This was far more fun than it has a right to be.
How has Alan Tudyk not aged a single iota in the 15 years since Firefly aired?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

He's an android.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've only skimmed the thread as I am avoiding any spoilers - I haven't even seen a trailer in months.

Question - anyone see it in IMAX 3D? Is it worth it?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:Question - anyone see it in IMAX 3D? Is it worth it?
I'll let you know on Sunday.
stessier

Post by stessier »

That will work. Thanks!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
naednek

Post by naednek »

stessier wrote:I've only skimmed the thread as I am avoiding any spoilers - I haven't even seen a trailer in months.

Question - anyone see it in IMAX 3D? Is it worth it?

If its anything like Force Awakens, no 3d isn't worth it. There wasn't anything to gain from it. I'm seeing it in Imax 2d on Saturday.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"