Bill Cosby... Finally

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Bill Cosby... Finally

Post by Isgrimnur »

Something something banality of evil.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Better late than never but it's too late for them to ever get another shit given by me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sentencing (up to 30 years in the slammer) is today. Court is in recess until 1:30 ET.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Backfire in court today:
Defense attorney Joseph Green Jr. tried to argue that his elderly client hadn’t drawn any new accusations since Andrea Constand was drugged and sexually assaulted by her mentor and friend in his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.

“Because if it hasn’t happened in the last 14 years, how far forward should we look?” Green asked Dr. Kristen F. Dudley, who assessed Cosby prior to Monday’s sentencing. “There’s no reasonable prospect that an 81-year-old blind man would re-offend.”

Green went on to underscore that his “un-sighted” client didn’t exactly have the capability to gallivant around town picking up and drugging women.

“How is he expected to meet people?” Green barked.

“It is possible he has already met someone who could be a future victim,” Dudley replied, prompting Cosby’s present accusers to turn and look at one another in surprise.

“I cannot predict with accuracy when a defendant would re-offend,” she added.

Earlier Monday, Dudley said the entertainer suffered from a sexual abnormality that caused him to seek out non-consenting sexual partners.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

WTF did "A Little Rapey" become a sexual orientation?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cosby faces anywhere from zero to 30 years behind bars when sentenced, which cannot occur until O’Neill rules on his predatory status.
He said he can’t sentence Cosby without first hearing testimony from experts on both sides to determine whether the defendant’s a predator.

“I’m stuck. I’m going to implore that you call him,” O’Neill said of the defense’s witness, Dr. Timothy Foley.

They said they’d reach out to the doctor over the lunch break. At worst, he would testify Tuesday.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With his age and star status he may get no time......maybe some house arrest or a huge fine . Maybe probation. But he is no different than the next guy. he is a predator. He should be in prison. But I doubt it.

It sucks even for me as I grew up on him from Fat Albert on. This has ruined him for me and all he touched. F him for it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pmThis has ruined him for me and all he touched.
Too soon!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm This has ruined him for me and all he touched.
That joke is like school in the summer.

:wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm With his age and star status he may get no time......maybe some house arrest or a huge fine . Maybe probation. But he is no different than the next guy. he is a predator. He should be in prison. But I doubt it.

They're arguing that the sole reason for incarceration is to protect the population, ignoring all punitive and deterrent reasons.

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

If he gets off with no jail time he needs to throw his attorneys a big party. BYOB of course.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:12 am
Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm With his age and star status he may get no time......maybe some house arrest or a huge fine . Maybe probation. But he is no different than the next guy. he is a predator. He should be in prison. But I doubt it.

They're arguing that the sole reason for incarceration is to protect the population, ignoring all punitive and deterrent reasons.
Punitive I could see, but what sexual predator see someone else in jail and rethinks his plans?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Comic legend Bill Cosby, a once-beloved father figure and moralizing African American cultural icon, was sentenced to 3 to 10 years in state prison Tuesday in a sexual assault case that was capped by the first celebrity trial of the #MeToo era.

In his ruling, Judge Steven O’Neill said the evidence that Cosby planned the drugging and sexual assault of his victim was “overwhelming,” based on Cosby’s own words in a civil deposition.
Before the sentence was announced, the judge quoted Constand, who in a written statement released Tuesday said Cosby “took my beautiful, healthy, young spirit & crushed it.” As the judge spoke those words, Cosby grumbled in a scoffing manner loudly enough to be heard by the audience.
But on Tuesday, after officially he was designated a sexually violent predator, his power was stripped from him. He was not in command, and he was forced to listen quietly as a young prosecutor ran through a series of restrictions that will be imposed on him for the rest of his life.

Cosby, who never testified during the case, answered “Yes” over and over. Yes, he understood that he would have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Yes, he understood that he’d have to let the state know about any job he took or anytime he changed residences.

But a puzzled look crossed Cosby’s face when Assistant District Attorney Stewart Ryan asked Cosby whether he understood that he would need to notify the state about his travels.
Another condition clearly concerned Cosby. He seemed to misunderstand a requirement that his victim be notified if he moved to another house.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think there is value in locking a guy like him(age/ill health) up, beyond merely protecting the public. For one, victims get to see him answer for what he did, rather than watch him get a slap on the wrist. There are many more victims of other crimes out there, this is a hopeful development. It also has value to people like me, who see wealthy people weasel their way out of so much. If we can build supermax prisons, certainly it can't be that difficult to put together something for a prisoner like this.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Punitive I could see, but what sexual predator see someone else in jail and rethinks his plans?
Deterrent for others. If being 80 or nearly blind gets you a free pass...

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Which others? How many blind 80 year olds are thinking - whew - I'll never have to serve a day!

I submit the only people who are doing this are not going to be deterred by any type of punishment. It's liking threatening a drug cartel boss with the death penalty - like the job isn't already under threat of death.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its bad that he got away with it so long in his younger years and hurt so many women. Its not like he had to do that. Its a sickness and impulse. Evilness if you will. He got a thrill out of it and would not or could not control that thirst. He should have served time earlier in life and maybe he would have stopped. Im surprised a little that he didn't escalate the abuses.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

When this first came out I told my coworkers "If Bill Cosby so much as passes me in a hallway and nods at me... I'm gonna jump on that money train!"
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:20 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Which others? How many blind 80 year olds are thinking - whew - I'll never have to serve a day!

Prison is a deterrent. His defense was arguing that the sole purpose is to protect the populace.

Famous blind 80-year-old rapists may be a small cohort but 80 year olds, blind people, rapists, and famous people are significantly larger. The point is that him not being a threat is not a reason to keep him out of jail. There's also the victims' side. If he's not going to get time, why would any victims come forward in the future if a rapist seems too old or infirm to do time?

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There's no justice if there's no jail time. No other serial rapist would get a pass. He should die in prison.

There are horror movies with more sympathetic monsters than him. He's a friggin monster, period.

Throw him in a hole and don't let him out unless he's in a box.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I was listening to a podcast, "behind the bastards" that did a two part special on Bill Cosby. They said he had a suitcase full of pills and dope to ply his trade of "loosening girls up". They also mentioned that he said that he never took them himself.

His dad on the other hand, was not a support to him growing up because he would "spend his rent money on booze and dope"

I think that in Bill Cosby's mind anyone who would use booze or dope around him deserved to be taken advantage of, I dont think he saw these poor souls as people, just objects to take advantage of.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:19 pm I think that in Bill Cosby's mind anyone who would use booze or dope around him deserved to be taken advantage of
however, he took advantage of women by drugging them - so them being drugged wasn't what made them a target.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:07 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:19 pm I think that in Bill Cosby's mind anyone who would use booze or dope around him deserved to be taken advantage of
however, he took advantage of women by drugging them - so them being drugged wasn't what made them a target.
Yes yes I know he drugged them. I think that once they put themselves in the position of taking what he was offering, he saw them as less then human. He saw people who would use drink or take drugs as less then human.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Being drugged isn't the same thing as taking drugs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:11 am Being drugged isn't the same thing as taking drugs.
I dont think Bill Cosby saw it that way. Not defending it, just saying.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP News
A Pennsylvania appeals court rejected Bill Cosby’s bid to overturn his sexual assault conviction Tuesday over issues including the trial judge’s decision to let five other accusers testify.

The Superior Court ruling was being closely watched because Cosby was the first celebrity tried and convicted in the #MeToo era. The same issue was hard-fought in pretrial hearings before movie mogul Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault trial.
Cosby, 82, can now ask the state Supreme Court to consider his appeal.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Cosby's conviction has been overturned by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

More details (this involves an attorney who helped defend Trump in his second impeachment):

Full decision can be found here: https://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinions ... 8.pdf?cb=1
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Must be nice to be so rich that you can get out of anything. Disgusting
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:16 pm Must be nice to be so rich that you can get out of anything. Disgusting
I mean, what Cosby did is abhorrent, but legally/Constitutionally speaking, this appeal decision is the correct one.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't have time look at it right now but what was Castor doing? Was he trying to set up the civil trial? Are DA even supposed to care about civil trials?

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:36 pm Don't have time look at it right now but what was Castor doing? Was he trying to set up the civil trial? Are DA even supposed to care about civil trials?
From what I've read, yes. Castor didn't think he had enough evidence for a criminal trial against Cosby, so he declined to prosecute him then so as to compel him to give depositions in the civil trial. Those depositions are a big reason why Cosby was arrested in 2015.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:24 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:16 pm Must be nice to be so rich that you can get out of anything. Disgusting
I mean, what Cosby did is abhorrent, but legally/Constitutionally speaking, this appeal decision is the correct one.
Sure but it seems like the elite seem to have far more "luck" finding these gaps.
pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:04 pmFrom what I've read, yes. Castor didn't think he had enough evidence for a criminal trial against Cosby, so he declined to prosecute him then so as to compel him to give depositions in the civil trial. Those depositions are a big reason why Cosby was arrested in 2015.
Right. Another factor being that these poor women's allegations weren't enough in the first place. And the system no matter how legally correct let them down again. We can say the law is the law but that means little to the people he harmed. I'll stop since that is about as P&R as I'll get here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

As further proof this is a simulation Cosby thought the best move was to have a ... press conference. To put it mildly it was a hot mess. Women were yelling at him and it appropriately ended with perfect absurdity with someone yelling 'Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself' as he walked away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cosby is a rapist who benefited from a legal technicality and will thereby escape paying for his crimes. The best and most moral thing he could do is disappear from public life forever.

Fully expect him to appear as a frequent guest decrying "cancel culture" on Fox/OANN/Newsmax/etc for years to come.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:57 pm Cosby is a rapist who benefited from a legal technicality and will thereby escape paying for his crimes. The best and most moral thing he could do is disappear from public life forever.

Fully expect him to appear as a frequent guest decrying "cancel culture" on Fox/OANN/Newsmax/etc for years to come.
FWIW Cosby appeared to be very unhealthy so I don't know if he'll be on tv anytime soon.

As an aside, I spent some time reading some of the lawsplainers opinions and this case is a real mess. It divided the PA Supreme Court and it divides the lawsplainers equally. I found one Twitter thread by Susan Simpson useful. She walked through the majority opinion and pointed out logical inconsistencies in the decision but also others throughout the timeline of the case. In any event, one outcome is that Castor looks super corrupt -- what a shock. Simpson pointed out that a concurring/dissenting opinion on the case joined by the Chief Justice essentially hints strongly to this effect.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hopefully he is too old but he could......

Enlarge Image
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The Supreme Court left in place Monday an opinion by Pennsylvania's highest court that overturned comedian Bill Cosby's sexual assault conviction, rejecting a bid from Pennsylvania prosecutors to review the decision.