How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: How is your career going?

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:SSA 2013 Actuarial Life Table
For this table, the period life expectancy at a given age is the average remaining number of years expected prior to death for a person at that exact age, born on January 1, using the mortality rates for 2013 over the course of his or her remaining life.
Exact ageMale Life expectancy
I believe I previously stated the need to continue working long after my death. Thanks for the statistical support! :D
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D Glad to help.

I'm on the hook for my house until just before my 69th birthday. And I have no kids at present to fall back on.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Annual raises came through. 3.5% each for myself and my minion, and they will finally giver her the removal of "Junior" from her title that she deserved nine months ago.

I will probably buck for her to get Senior Developer by next year, as she's already handling a good number of complex tasks with a minimum of supervision.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, and the boss hits the eject button on July 7th. No word yet on the Chief's plan for July 8th.

Did I mention that we start working on an acquisition next month?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The first three classes I take this year will end up giving me four security certs:

CNSS 4011 – Information Systems Security Professionals
CNSS 4012 – Senior Systems Managers
CNSS 4016 – Risk Analyst
CNSS 4013 - Systems Administration

And $80k is more than I make now. Of course, I'm not in California, either.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Up until bumfuck o'clock in the morning trying to fix an issue with app updates from the Citrix XenMobile environment. I'm freaking tired of Citrix. Can't wait until we get migrated from this piece of shit device management environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote:$80k is more than I make now. Of course, I'm not in California, either.
Entry-level Security positions in Maine are around $35k to $45k ... about half what you'd make in California, then. It's no wonder all the smart people leave the state. Wait... :think:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

7:30 am conference calls 6PM meetings... I LOVE IT. :tjg: If it weren't for coffee I would be dead. Dealing with global companies is crappy...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Octavious wrote:7:30 am conference calls 6PM meetings... I LOVE IT. :tjg: If it weren't for coffee I would be dead. Dealing with global companies is crappy...
I went through a period where I was working deals in Europe and Australia at the same time. That was murder!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

If those jobs are in the Bay Area then that kind of money probably would get you a dump apartment within 45 minutes of where you are working. :)

Maybe closer if you could find a room mate.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Octavious wrote:7:30 am conference calls 6PM meetings... I LOVE IT. :tjg: If it weren't for coffee I would be dead. Dealing with global companies is crappy...
I went through a period where I was working deals in Europe and Australia at the same time. That was murder!
That demands long lunches and naps.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

ImLawBoy wrote:
My job entails a lot of this, too. I'm tasked with "emerging markets,' which spans from South America to India to Korea to Australia. Communicating effectively across those time zones is a challenge.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kurth wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
My job entails a lot of this, too. I'm tasked with "emerging markets,' which spans from South America to India to Korea to Australia. Communicating effectively across those time zones is a challenge.
My main client is Mondelez... They pretty much cover the entire world. We have other offices that deal with things, but we also have upper management in all those offices. So when they all want to talk, sleeping is optional. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

raydude

Post by raydude »

Just came back from a four day stint in Tuscon, AZ where I was part of a Science/Planning/Processing exercise for the OSIRIS-REx mission. A whole bunch of scientists came together and simulated how we would work together to get from an initial map of the Bennu asteroid to adding data to that map, analyzing the data, and coming up with scientifically useful yet safe areas to target for sample collection. It was four nonstop days of coding to fix bugs and develop new processing tools and interacting with the science team to help them add products to the central project database.

Got kudos along the way from both my team and the Project Science Data Processing Lead. And came away with a good feeling about how this was all coming together.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That is awesome.

In some parallel universe, I am good enough at higher math and became an astronomer.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just accepted a post-doc in St. Louis that will start in July. Good timing because the funding for my current post-doc ends at the beginning of June. The downside is that I will have to move; it's going to be hard to beat living four blocks from the beach...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Google tells me that Creve Couer Lake has a beach, and is 20 miles east of STL.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote:Google tells me that Creve Couer Lake has a beach, and is 20 miles east of STL.
West?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Google tells me that Creve Couer Lake has a beach, and is 20 miles east of STL.
West?
I think he means East St. Louis, where Creve turned his barren back yard into a "beach" so you can lounge and enjoy all of Mr. Couer's amenities. I hear he cooks a mean batch of meth.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's a mistake from the source material, as Creve Coeur Lake and Maryland Heights are west of St. Louis.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you for the correction. Imagine RW's confusion if he ended up at Scott AFB instead.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm starting work with a new client in South Carolina just over the border from Charlotte. Monday through Thursday for 6-months. A standard management consulting type gig for a major healthcare provider. I focus on cybersecurity strategy and execution and they have a pretty big program. It should be fun to dig in and help them solve problems in a new field as I usually deal with energy and financial services clients.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Only midwesterners consider sand by a lake a beach.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You have to make do with what you have. Or trucked in.
mori

Post by mori »

Sand + body of water= beach.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Yesterday at work I was crushing fresh pieces of human bone to prepare them to be put back into the body they just came from.

Working in the OR can be a little weird at times.
No sig, must scream, etc.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

New DBA starts Monday and will end my stint as our temp-DBA for the past 9 months.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MY GP said "Quit your job, get on SSRIs, or see a shrink" cause your body is killing itself through autoimmune responses you shouldn't be having. My experience with SSRIs is not good and I'm already on too many meds. So I'ma see a shrink. I have no idea what I'm in for. Something new!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

paulbaxter wrote:Yesterday at work I was crushing fresh pieces of human bone to prepare them to be put back into the body they just came from.

Good Lord ! Did the patient live???
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Only midwesterners consider sand by a lake a beach. Image
Wait. What? This is not a beach?

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote:
paulbaxter wrote:Yesterday at work I was crushing fresh pieces of human bone to prepare them to be put back into the body they just came from.

Good Lord ! Did the patient live???
They had to first liquefy what they didn't crush, but I hear he survived being pushed back through the Playdough mold.

o.O
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm so tired from all these damn early meetings that I stared at my computer screen for a good 30 minutes today. I'm channeling my inner Office Space.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:MY GP said "Quit your job, get on SSRIs, or see a shrink" cause your body is killing itself through autoimmune responses you shouldn't be having. My experience with SSRIs is not good and I'm already on too many meds. So I'ma see a shrink. I have no idea what I'm in for. Something new!
While I am not currently under care, the time when I was so bad off that answering the door for the pizza guy was more human interaction than I wanted to do responded well to therapy visits. Having someone to listen to you that has no agenda other than your mental health is a freeing thing. You don't have to censor your words or thoughts, as you have no personal relationship with them to damage.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

For the last month a combination of tiredness and frustration have translated into a physical manifestation of rolly eyes while working. Thank god there were no video conferences.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:While I am not currently under care, the time when I was so bad off that answering the door for the pizza guy was more human interaction than I wanted to do responded well to therapy visits. Having someone to listen to you that has no agenda other than your mental health is a freeing thing. You don't have to censor your words or thoughts, as you have no personal relationship with them to damage.
/describes me (except for the addition of chronic pain) and hopes you're right. Though I blather openly here and on social media and mostly openly at my parents, so I am dubious but we'll see.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Actually my career is going well even though my company is going through a rough time. I am in automotive and we are currently going through a downswing in volume. It is very stressful to have to sit through meeting after meeting to go over why our operating income is not meeting expectations. Then have every VP come up with their own separate action plan on how to fix things. I am one of the guys that then has to implement said action plans throughout 22 manufacturing locations in North America. So that is the bad part. The good part is my CFO came to my office last week out of the blue and gave me a piece of paper that was a retention bonus to be paid out next October if I'm still here. He said this was only given to a few key people. That was quite a shock since I talk to my actual boss (the guy who reports to the CFO) about once a month and feel like I'm just kind of left on my own 99% of the time. Of course they may just want me to stick around until next Oct to let me go before the retention date. :shock:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

LordMortis wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:While I am not currently under care, the time when I was so bad off that answering the door for the pizza guy was more human interaction than I wanted to do responded well to therapy visits. Having someone to listen to you that has no agenda other than your mental health is a freeing thing. You don't have to censor your words or thoughts, as you have no personal relationship with them to damage.
/describes me (except for the addition of chronic pain) and hopes you're right. Though I blather openly here and on social media and mostly openly at my parents, so I am dubious but we'll see.
In my professional opinion I think you need to relieve your stress by gaming more with your friends. :ninja:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

bb2112 wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
In my professional opinion I think you need to relieve your stress by gaming more with your friends. :ninja:
Concurred.