How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: How is your career going?

Post by LordMortis »

Define near. Also, note my health is for crap. Physical labor is not likely to work for me unless I can somehow reverse that trend. I am in such bad shape that I have to mow a 1950's postage stamp lot of land's lawn in two increments with a large break between them.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:05 pm Define near. Also, note my health is for crap. Physical labor is not likely to work for me unless I can somehow reverse that trend. I am in such bad shape that I have to mow a 1950's postage stamp lot of land's lawn in two increments with a large break between them.
Less than 5 miles. Can you lift bags of groceries?

I mention it again, only if you need to put your mind at ease that you are doing SOMEthing, to bring in some income. You can easily make $30-$50/hour working delivery for WF/Amazon (due primarily to tips), especially now that COVID is surging, AND we are getting close to holidays. Better still, you can work as little as you want (but you will likely not get more than 4 hours a day), so it's super flexible, and zero stress.

I saw a posting yesterday for "rapid COVID tester" making $20/hr. That's not great money, but again, things like that are out there where you have very little responsibility, thus little stress. So many lower level or PT/contract jobs like that right now paying premiums bc they can't find anyone to work.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:11 pm Less than 5 miles. Can you lift bags of groceries?
Google says... 20 Miles, but there are plenty of places I could get pick and delivery work if I'm willing to put the wear and tear on my car and go to people's homes.

Lift, yes, I grocery shop. Lug around for 5 or 6 hours a few times a week, probably not at least not yet. We'll see if I can increase my endurance and lung capacity once I re-catch my brain and emotional state and hopefully don't feel exhausted 24/7.

But I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. First I have to get to an exit date, then I have to do.... nothing for probably longer than is healthy. Then I have to literally get my house in order. Then I can revisit my need for income or to do something with my life.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I need to do is change my viewpoint. I've put in 30 years in the corporate world, and about 5 or so before that working odd jobs in college/just after college. If I retire now and decide to just take small, easy, low paying or even part time jobs to supplement my savings in my retirement for a few years, that's not me failing. That's me just relaxing after all those years.

I've already started researching places I could potentially just pack up and move to if that becomes something I want to do/the current job goes bye bye.

Still...it's the change that will kill me initially. Need to let this possibility become a part of my world without viewing it as some kind of judgement on my self worth, or some kind of exile from a family.

Like LM, I've never built a family. But I could create a new life somewhere, and acquire new friends (while keeping the old ones I still value and appreciate...as well as the imaginary ones).

OO...my personal sounding board this last week or so. :P
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:09 pm What I need to do is change my viewpoint. I've put in 30 years in the corporate world, and about 5 or so before that working odd jobs in college/just after college. If I retire now and decide to just take small, easy, low paying or even part time jobs to supplement my savings in my retirement for a few years, that's not me failing. That's me just relaxing after all those years.
That's where I'm at only I'm broken not getting laid off... I'm just hoping I have the oomph for small, easy, low paying or even part time jobs.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:09 pm What I need to do is change my viewpoint. I've put in 30 years in the corporate world, and about 5 or so before that working odd jobs in college/just after college. If I retire now and decide to just take small, easy, low paying or even part time jobs to supplement my savings in my retirement for a few years, that's not me failing. That's me just relaxing after all those years.
Feel free to pm me. I did this very thing in 2017. Just....pre-maturely. :D When people asked me what I was doing, I actually told them I was semi-retired (at 45!) Now that I have my big boy pants on, it's time to earn some real money again, but it WAS a wild ride for a few years. From consulting, to home remodeling and construction to delivery, shopping (effing Instacart!!) and most recently USPS (though 75h a week, 7 days straight is hardly PT), I have a pretty good feel for the kind of temp/1099/PT jobs that are out there.

While I couldn't answer anyone at the time (including myself) as to why I chose those kinds of jobs (when I could have easily transitioned into one making 10x more $$), I THINK the answer is: I was sooo burned out, especially after two absurdly intense years of work post-buyout, that I had to have a break. Something with zero stress, zero responsibility, and something that wouldn't keep me up at night thinking about all the unsolved problems I would have to face the next morning. It was almost as if my subconscious knew what I needed, and just took over, fed up with the idiot conscious driving the bus. :D
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

As I've mentioned before I'm getting fairly burned out on teaching and planned to retire any time now. But right now I'm going to shift the conversation.

My son just got a job offer. from company A I don't know anything about it yet except that it is IT for a company with many regional offices where he will be expected to move every few years. He's also waiting on a third round interview from company B. B sounds more interesting to him for many reasons. An insider at B that he knows says that the third round is the hiring round.

I've been out of the real job market for a while know and education is very different from tech/IT. My thought is take job A but if B comes through quickly then take it. But I don't know what counts as quickly or what the general view of that practice is.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't know what the practice is, but I've had team members quit within a week of being hired, or even before starting, but after excepting the offer. So, while I don't know how I'd feel about doing something like that myself, it is definitely something that people do. The rational part of my mind that recognizes that as workers we don't owe our companies anything says that he should go for what will make him happier.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

That's basically my take also but it is nice to hear it from someone since I can't use education as a reference point. In education if you quit to change jobs in the first week you might have your certificate pulled.

BTW I feel reasonable compensated for my work but hearing offers in the tech/IT area makes my salary feel puny.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:52 amOh yeah, I'm a cheap fucker. Still I don't have quite enough ducks in a row. Unless I have a short life. :shifty: then I can dip into the 401/IRA before 59.5. :D I do think I'm in good shape to take a few years off and hopefully be in a good way to find a low stress part time job then. I should be OK with that.
Sounds like a plan.

Not to turn the thread dark, but I've had multiple extended family members set a retirement date, then pass away less than a year before the date hits. These experiences had a big impact on my views of planning for 'the future' in some nebulous form vs ensuring that I'm taking care of me and mine today. The only time we're guaranteed is the present--major props for doing what's best for you and your physical/mental health now rather than putting it off.
Now you know why I keep telling my wife my retirement date is at age 86! It's the point where my 401k will generate more income than when I was working.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh well, back to the job hunt. Today I'm informed by text that I'm dismissed from the previous job that I MAY have violated NDA on. They didn't want to hear my reasoning. In fact today was only the 2nd time I got ANY communication from them. Phooey.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wow, that's cold. Guilty with no chance to be proven innocent?

Today I had interview's 4 and 5. It was the first time I was on this side of the table for a FTF interview in nearly 12 years, and it probably showed. The guy who would be my boss wasn't terribly engaging either, and he seemed to focus somewhat on what scripting I've done in the past to automate some processes. I've done so, just not a lot. He didn't seem satisfied with my best example, which had save the company $thousands.

The CIO maybe went a little better. What he wants out of the position (and to be clear, it's a new position) is someone who can be a business relationship manager with the plants. Well, that was one of my primary tasks for years at my old job, and something I've done with great success at the hospital as well. Thursday is the final interview with the IT director, and that will be video. Now that I know what the CIO wants, I can be more direct in my responses to the director's questions.

Winner is expected to be announced in 2 weeks.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If they want to argue that "stuff visible from a public street" is covered under the NDA then I guess I violated the NDA.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:32 pm Wow, that's cold. Guilty with no chance to be proven innocent?

Today I had interview's 4 and 5. It was the first time I was on this side of the table for a FTF interview in nearly 12 years, and it probably showed. The guy who would be my boss wasn't terribly engaging either, and he seemed to focus somewhat on what scripting I've done in the past to automate some processes. I've done so, just not a lot. He didn't seem satisfied with my best example, which had save the company $thousands.

The CIO maybe went a little better. What he wants out of the position (and to be clear, it's a new position) is someone who can be a business relationship manager with the plants. Well, that was one of my primary tasks for years at my old job, and something I've done with great success at the hospital as well. Thursday is the final interview with the IT director, and that will be video. Now that I know what the CIO wants, I can be more direct in my responses to the director's questions.

Interesting. I thought I'd give some perspective from my Group at APL. Our Group mainly functions as the go-between for the scientists and engineers who need software support. Since most of us are not software engineers by training or career path but instead have science or technical degrees, we're able to comprehend what the scientists and engineers want and turn that into software solutions without having to request requirements documents.

Because of that when our Group hires folks, we put less stock into what languages a person knows, and put more stock into whether a person has had experience translating scientific problems into software solutions. And the less hand-holding the better. Sounds like your position is one of those where it's more important to find the person who can translate high-level tasks into actionable code or responses. Good luck!
raydude

Post by raydude »

Just thought I'd post a quick "what's going on where I work". To celebrate the fact that we've completed work on the DART spacecraft and sent it to Vandenburg Space Force Base to get ready for launch, the Lab put a mini-arcade into the cafeteria of the Space Sector building. It's tiny, only 4 cabinets - Space Invaders, Galaga, Galaxian, and Stargate, and 2 pinball machines: Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Mandalorian, but the games are all set for free play.

Unfortunately, the arcade is only there for 1 week. I'm hoping at least some of the games stay permanently.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

raydude wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:16 amIt's tiny, only 4 cabinets - Galaga
That's all you need (although the pinballs are a huge plus).
raydude

Post by raydude »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 am
raydude wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:16 amIt's tiny, only 4 cabinets - Galaga
That's all you need (although the pinballs are a huge plus).
I would have loved to have Robotron instead of Stargate, but yes, Galaga is pretty fun.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Sorry I'm coming in a little late to the stuff from LM and Tectla, but I do feel compelled to respond to a couple earlier posts, as I've been on the fence to retire early for the last couple of years. I know it's a different situation, but there are commonalities that might be worth sharing.

First off, the "59 1/2" thing is not a set rule. If you are loathe to take the 10% penalty, you can look into the SEPP option which allows you to take a (limited) amount out each year with NO penalty, as long as you don't stray from the program over the next years. If you are in your early 50s it's something to consider. I would do this for sure if I pulled the trigger on early retirement.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/su ... c-payments

There's also a book the FIRE people recommend. It's a little repetitive and annoying in some parts, but a lot of the core concepts are good to think about in terms of spending down before it's too late, and making sure you remember to focus on life experiences instead of only money.

https://www.diewithzerobook.com/welcome

I've also been playing around with a number of different retirement planner sites and apps, in case any one is interested. Even if you aren't looking to retire, they do have interesting "case study" kind of potential to look at your finances.

https://www.flexibleretirementplanner.com/wp/
https://firecalc.com/
https://www.i-orp.com/Plans/index.html (I haven't quite figured this one out yet)

Silvur app (phone)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm interested. I'll have to take a look later.

Also I will have to develop a brain to digest this

That could be game changer. If I hit the math right I'd start pulling from my 401k at 57 and hopefully it would padded enough to carry me through. If I can make that work, it could change everything.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:37 pm I'm interested. I'll have to take a look later.

Also I will have to develop a brain to digest this

That could be game changer. If I hit the math right I'd start pulling from my 401k at 57 and hopefully it would padded enough to carry me through. If I can make that work, it could change everything.
If you're retiring before 59.5 and want to take distributions, SEPP may be for you. My understanding of the downside (such as it is) is that the SEPP payments must be maintained for at least 5 years as well as through 59.5, or else the 10% tax comes into play. This is true even if you will hit 59.5 in under 5 years from starting SEPP payments, so if you start at 57, you are locking in your payments through 62, where if you didn't use SEPP you'd have more freedom starting at 59.5.

Note that my understanding could be incorrect, as I haven't started looking at this stuff with a serious eye toward actually doing it yet.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As I would be ready to take distributions for a lifetime when I commit to taking distributions, I'd be quite alright with a 5+ year commitment as long as the numbers work out to a livable wage for those 5+ years. There will be studying to be done and plenty of time to do it. I'm just glad that this may be an option I didn't know existed until rittchard pointed it out. It can take me from frightening under budgeting to I ought to be able to make it OK, if this is as I perceive it to be without understanding.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. Also note when you look into it that the Uniform Lifetime Tables were updated late last year with an effective date of 1/1/22, and they assume slightly longer lifespans (eg, they have larger divisors at each age, resulting in lower annual withdrawals).

Definitely worth a couple of hours' consulting with a CPA or financial advisor on this stuff, IMO.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:54 pm I'm just glad that this may be an option I didn't know existed until rittchard pointed it out. It can take me from frightening under budgeting to I ought to be able to make it OK, if this is as I perceive it to be without understanding.
We were actually discussing this last Friday. It's also called the Rule of 55 by some folks (like me when i brought it up over a week ago). :wink:
LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:52 am It sounds like you have a good cushion and the Rule of 55 is in your favor. Hopefully that can take root in your mind somewhere and provide you a bit of comfort. Being in fear for your job is no good. Boy, do I know that. But having security ought to take most of the sting out.
I've been running numerous retirement calcs and simulators. Sticking with it for another couple of years (if possible) and holding off on SS until full benefits and living on about 75 percent of what I make now until then shows a 96 percent success rate in the worst simulation result I've tried. That's quite doable.

I called my 401k plan advisor (provided by the company) yesterday and the first thing he did was congratulate me on having that much in my 401k. I guess the national averages for 401k/IRA/retirement savings in general is shockingly low. That cheered me up a bit...although at the expense of others. :oops:
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:54 pm I'm just glad that this may be an option I didn't know existed until rittchard pointed it out. It can take me from frightening under budgeting to I ought to be able to make it OK, if this is as I perceive it to be without understanding.
We were actually discussing this last Friday. It's also called the Rule of 55 by some folks (like me when i brought it up over a week ago). :wink:
Rule of 55 won't apply to me. I'm not 55 yet. Rittchard's link might. It's the first I've ever seen of it, even as I've looked before for tax implications of early exits and how mitigate against them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, never mind. I thought you were my age.

And it looks like the Rule of 55 is not the same as the SEPP. My mistake.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:39 pm Ah, never mind. I thought you were my age.

And it looks like the Rule of 55 is not the same as the SEPP. My mistake.
Sadly, I see no reality in which I keep the kind of job and salary I make now until I'm 55. (I'm right at 51 now) That's why I'm looking for an exit now. I'm having a hard time seeing how I make it until 52 and my calculus says I need to make it until 53 to have a reasonable but by no means comfortable standard of living, and I fear my math may be too optimistic, so cutting bait now is pretty fool hearty.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 pm I called my 401k plan advisor (provided by the company) yesterday and the first thing he did was congratulate me on having that much in my 401k. I guess the national averages for 401k/IRA/retirement savings in general is shockingly low. That cheered me up a bit...although at the expense of others. :oops:
Yes it is.

Code: Select all

AGE	AVERAGE 401K BALANCE	MEDIAN 401K BALANCE
25-34	       $26,839	                 $10,402
35-44	       $72,578	                 $26,188
45-54	       $135,777	                 $46,363
55-64	       $197,322	                 $69,097
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Back to the grind for me... more applications. The strange part is I'm getting my application round-filed ("we're moving in a different direction") without even getting into second round despite what seems to be eminently qualified or even overqualified for the tech/customer support position. Before this, I was turned down for customer support positions (basically phone banks) for no particular reason at all. I thought I was quite personable in person, and quite professional over the phone. Perhaps I overestimated myself?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:49 pm Back to the grind for me... more applications. The strange part is I'm getting my application round-filed ("we're moving in a different direction") without even getting into second round despite what seems to be eminently qualified or even overqualified for the tech/customer support position. Before this, I was turned down for customer support positions (basically phone banks) for no particular reason at all. I thought I was quite personable in person, and quite professional over the phone. Perhaps I overestimated myself?
Dude, how many times do we have to tell you that you can't waltz into interviews wearing full plate mail armor?! The clanking alone is obnoxious as hell.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:10 am
Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:32 pm Wow, that's cold. Guilty with no chance to be proven innocent?

Interesting. I thought I'd give some perspective from my Group at APL. Our Group mainly functions as the go-between for the scientists and engineers who need software support. Since most of us are not software engineers by training or career path but instead have science or technical degrees, we're able to comprehend what the scientists and engineers want and turn that into software solutions without having to request requirements documents.

Because of that when our Group hires folks, we put less stock into what languages a person knows, and put more stock into whether a person has had experience translating scientific problems into software solutions. And the less hand-holding the better. Sounds like your position is one of those where it's more important to find the person who can translate high-level tasks into actionable code or responses. Good luck!
It's always interesting to see the relationship between the indisputable talent and the various support services. When I worked for the hospital, I was heavily engaged in a process to implement an electronic health record system. I attended a conference where they discussed why implementations fail...and they mention that anything that puts additional workload on the highest-value employees (ie, doctors) is flat out going to fail because it is not an efficient use of their time. In the roles I've been in since, most of the focus has been on making sure C-level execs don't have issues related to tech, even when they insist on having unique equipment not otherwise supported by the business.

I had once been proposed for a team lead for a group that would ostensibly lock down and monitor PC's at Fermilab. At the time, their systems were out of control from a security and licensing standpoint, scientists would install whatever the hell they wanted from whatever, often dubious, source. I was told it would struggle to change the culture there...the recruiter who put together the team and pitched it came in second...twice. Incidentally, a good friend of mine is now in a similar role there.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Talking to my boss today and she was talking about "they have to understand I only have one of you" sounded a whole lot like she took my resignation without an exit date as a means to blow steam and not something serious. I don't want to put shit in cheerios but I may have to push the topic, which may be a poor thing to do (she also has plate so full it looks like she's eating at a pot luck) If nothing else, when I reduce my 401k contributions to zero for the next quarter, that ought to let her know we can't wait forever before coming up with an exit plan.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm Talking to my boss today and she was talking about "they have to understand I only have one of you" sounded a whole lot like she took my resignation without an exit date as a means to blow steam and not something serious. I don't want to put shit in cheerios but I may have to push the topic, which may be a poor thing to do (she also has plate so full it looks like she's eating at a pot luck) If nothing else, when I reduce my 401k contributions to zero for the next quarter, that ought to let her know we can't wait forever before coming up with an exit plan.
You think she monitors your 401k contributions??
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm Talking to my boss today and she was talking about "they have to understand I only have one of you" sounded a whole lot like she took my resignation without an exit date as a means to blow steam and not something serious. I don't want to put shit in cheerios but I may have to push the topic, which may be a poor thing to do (she also has plate so full it looks like she's eating at a pot luck) If nothing else, when I reduce my 401k contributions to zero for the next quarter, that ought to let her know we can't wait forever before coming up with an exit plan.
You think she monitors your 401k contributions??
I was gonna say it, but you said it first...
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I thought it. Do I get any credit? :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm You think she monitors your 401k contributions??
She is the person in charge of my 401k contributions filing and paycheck deduction, so... yes?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm You think she monitors your 401k contributions??
She is the person in charge of my 401k contributions, so... yes?
I was under the impression that you worked at a large company; is that wrong? If your company has more than a few dozen people, having someone not dedicated to HR in the loop on your benefits elections is... very weird.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I work at a big company and all that stuff is done online. I've never spoken to a person about any of it... Never even filled out a paper form.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:46 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 pm I called my 401k plan advisor (provided by the company) yesterday and the first thing he did was congratulate me on having that much in my 401k. I guess the national averages for 401k/IRA/retirement savings in general is shockingly low. That cheered me up a bit...although at the expense of others. :oops:
Yes it is.

Code: Select all

AGE	AVERAGE 401K BALANCE	MEDIAN 401K BALANCE
25-34	       $26,839	                 $10,402
35-44	       $72,578	                 $26,188
45-54	       $135,777	                 $46,363
55-64	       $197,322	                 $69,097
49, under average, over median. I invest what my company will match (didn't start that anywhere near early enough, obviously).

Think I'm on the JeffV plan - work til I die or get RFO. Hope my company is on board with that plan.

Or Wally's plan works pretty good :)

https://dilbert.com/search_results?term ... ement+Plan
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:15 pm I was under the impression that you worked at a large company; is that wrong? If your company has more than a few dozen people, having someone not dedicated to HR in the loop on your benefits elections is... very weird.
My office is 47 people. In addition to keeping them working, I have lesser support functions for 100s at many locations from a larger corporation. My boss is head of accounting for our location and also shares some HR responsibilities as well as keeping the IT person doing IT things. There is no other IT staff in my location.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm Talking to my boss today and she was talking about "they have to understand I only have one of you" sounded a whole lot like she took my resignation without an exit date as a means to blow steam and not something serious.
We we got stuck in private four hour meeting today on evaluating policy and procedure. Yay us. She has to told her boss but she informed me she is not preparing for my exit. She is rather preparing for bringing someone else on and grooming them but wants to keep me comfortable in the idea that I have a place to work when the stock market tanks and I feel like I need to stay. Very kind of her. Sort of the reason I don't want screw her over.