How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RMC

Re: How is your career going?

Post by RMC »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:04 pm
Exodor wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:40 pm We recently had one of our top techs leave the company. This morning my boss came to me offering to pay for training that will lead to a promotion to that role which comes with a significant pay increase.
Always take the training. If the "significant pay increase" turns out to be smoke and mirrors, the training is still shiny on a resume.
As an IT Manager I will say that you should always take the training. You might find the new stuff will renew your interest in IT. And let's be honest, the company you work for, most likely can afford it, and if you like doing the job, the extra pay will be icing. And both you and the company benefits.

If you refuse the training, then some managers might look at you as a flight risk, and start treating you differently. Not that I know your situation, so it might be fine to refuse the training, and something normal at your place of employ.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

RMC wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:11 pm
Exodor wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:40 pm We recently had one of our top techs leave the company. This morning my boss came to me offering to pay for training that will lead to a promotion to that role which comes with a significant pay increase.
Always take the training. If the "significant pay increase" turns out to be smoke and mirrors, the training is still shiny on a resume.
As an IT Manager I will say that you should always take the training. You might find the new stuff will renew your interest in IT. And let's be honest, the company you work for, most likely can afford it, and if you like doing the job, the extra pay will be icing. And both you and the company benefits.

If you refuse the training, then some managers might look at you as a flight risk, and start treating you differently. Not that I know your situation, so it might be fine to refuse the training, and something normal at your place of employ.

I already agreed to the training - it's more about gauging how guilty I should feel about accepting the training knowing I may make a career change in the next few years.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Exodor wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 pm

I already agreed to the training - it's more about gauging how guilty I should feel about accepting the training knowing I may make a career change in the next few years.
How guilty do you think the company will be if you lose your job to downsizing cuts in the next few years? Look out for number one (and number one's family).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm soaking getting my employer to pay for a Master's degree. When the last tuition reimbursement clears in January, I owe them one year of service before I can leave without owing them anything back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 pm
Exodor wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 pm

How guilty do you think the company will be if you lose your job to downsizing cuts in the next few years? Look out for number one (and number one's family).
This. I go the extra mile for the company I work for, but have no illusions about how long it would take them to lay me off if they determined that they needed to cut my department. I would like to think I would not be the first to go, but honestly, politics can kill a career faster than being the best worker.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh, I rarely take training because my job doesn't go away when I do. :oops: I wish I had more *oomph*. I used to love learning new stuff and still do when it's in the course of performing my duties. But taking x hours to learn something while those same x hours of work pile up faster than I can work, not so much. That and if I'm not using something, I forget it badly. I took a 40 course in cisco management maybe six years ago. I've not used it but I couple of times and don't even have access to my own cisco equipment any more. I remember nothing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You need to start agitating for a subordinate.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Fuck a guilty feels. Guilt is like jealous, they don't ever need to linger. That's just your super-ego talkin'...

Your EARNED the training.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Assistant Vice President, Programming and Analysis.

Age 42, in my 11th year as a professional programmer, four months from earning a Master's degree.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 pm Assistant Vice President, Programming and Analysis.

Age 42, in my 11th year as a professional programmer, four months from earning a Master's degree.
Well done. Drinks are on you. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

:clap:
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 pm Assistant Vice President, Programming and Analysis.

Is that your OO title? :D

Seriously, congrats
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 pm I'm soaking getting my employer to pay for a Master's degree. When the last tuition reimbursement clears in January, I owe them one year of service before I can leave without owing them anything back.
Same story here - one class to go. I'll owe them a year to get to 50% payback and a year and a half to get to 100%. That said I just was approached by a top 3 consulting firm who wants a strong technical director. If I decide to take the risk (they don't have a strong Cyber Security practice atm) then they are likely going to pay me a signing bonus to clean that up. I'll have a much shorter path to partner likely so I need to really think about this.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Announced today, but effective on 9/16, my title changes to Legal Counsel. Took over twenty damn years, but I'm finally a lawyer for AT&T (as opposed to a lawyer who works at AT&T). Technically, I'm still at the same HR level in the company, but it did come with a 10% pay bump.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats. May your section of the Death Star's escape pods always be in working order.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

And congrats to you too, of course!
Zarathud

How is your career going?

Post by Zarathud »

Congrats! Welcome to the Dark Side, IML.

I'm nearing my 1 year anniversary at the new law firm. 18 more months and many billable hours until I'm officially up for partner. Brought in a new colleague who I recruited, so hopefully we can share the practice management load.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I took a job a few months ago in database management. I like the guy I work for, the people I work with, and the place I work at. The work, itself, is good but it's pretty siloed and limited in both scope and challenge. Just a day ago, someone in another department gave their two week notice. I am thinking about applying for their job. I am pretty sure it would be a step up in responsibility, pay, and enjoyment. I did this job before for 10+ years and loved it. The issue is that it's internal and I have only been at the current position I'm in for a short time. I feel I'd be pushing them back at least a few months before they could get back on track.

I truly think I'd be a better fit in the other position. I don't particularly like being under someone else (in my area) even if they are great to work for. While I enjoy the work, half of the stuff I've done is because I've asked to do it. I've been training for two months despite having a much higher level position the last place I worked and doing the job of my current boss for almost as long as he's done his (and having more experience in IT overall) It's not that he's bad at his job (he's quite good) it's just that I'm being eased in so slowly despite having a few years of experience and it's frustrating. An example is that we are planning on upgrading our current system but are pushing it back because the guy in the other position was going to help with some of the programming. I'm honestly hurt that he wouldn't have even considered asking me to look at it. I have a lot of experience with exactly what we can't do which is causing us to push the upgrade back.

I think it's in my best interest to apply for the other job but I'm not sure how to tell my current boss. He's a good guy, does an excellent job, and truly owns his area (maybe a bit too much). I'm also not certain I'd get the job (though I think I have a very good chance at it as I have quite a bit of experience). My current boss has been here quite a while and is friends with the guy leaving. I know what I should do but I'm just not sure of the best way to approach it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
RMC

Post by RMC »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:34 pm I took a job a few months ago in database management. I like the guy I work for, the people I work with, and the place I work at. The work, itself, is good but it's pretty siloed and limited in both scope and challenge. Just a day ago, someone in another department gave their two week notice. I am thinking about applying for their job. I am pretty sure it would be a step up in responsibility, pay, and enjoyment. I did this job before for 10+ years and loved it. The issue is that it's internal and I have only been at the current position I'm in for a short time. I feel I'd be pushing them back at least a few months before they could get back on track.

I truly think I'd be a better fit in the other position. I don't particularly like being under someone else (in my area) even if they are great to work for. While I enjoy the work, half of the stuff I've done is because I've asked to do it. I've been training for two months despite having a much higher level position the last place I worked and doing the job of my current boss for almost as long as he's done his (and having more experience in IT overall) It's not that he's bad at his job (he's quite good) it's just that I'm being eased in so slowly despite having a few years of experience and it's frustrating. An example is that we are planning on upgrading our current system but are pushing it back because the guy in the other position was going to help with some of the programming. I'm honestly hurt that he wouldn't have even considered asking me to look at it. I have a lot of experience with exactly what we can't do which is causing us to push the upgrade back.

I think it's in my best interest to apply for the other job but I'm not sure how to tell my current boss. He's a good guy, does an excellent job, and truly owns his area (maybe a bit too much). I'm also not certain I'd get the job (though I think I have a very good chance at it as I have quite a bit of experience). My current boss has been here quite a while and is friends with the guy leaving. I know what I should do but I'm just not sure of the best way to approach it.
If your boss is not a jerk, talk to him. Ask him his thoughts. As a Manager, I have had people I hire go to other roles, and while it sucks, I am usually happy for them, because it gives them what they want. If your boss is a jerk, then you have an issue, and you could always go and talk to the other manager first, and see what the job entails. He will almost certainly talk to your boss about your questions, but <shrug> at least you will know what your chances are to get the job, and if the other manager is looking for someone like you and your skillset.

But if it is a better fit, then do it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

RMC wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:43 pmAs a Manager, I have had people I hire go to other roles, and while it sucks, I am usually happy for them, because it gives them what they want.
I've always been excited for the few people I've managed when they found something that made them happier. I never wanted to be the guy in charge who'd say "Nope. You're good right where you are" ... because in my mind, a person looking for something else will find it. Better to help them get there and stay with you than watch them go.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I emailed the division leader with the open position. I also saw that they job was posted publicly. What I find odd is that it is the posting is only up for a week. Makes me wonder if they already have someone in mind.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Had my end of the FY review today. Got rated outstanding, along with a 10.75% bonus (my bonus for the year, because some bonuses are paid out quarterly, is 14% this year), and some timely advice about how, sometimes, I need to let subordinates fail at their jobs.
Hodor.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Just moved my family from The US to New Zealand to start a new job as Chief Software Architect. Going to be quite the challenge both technically and culturally, but I’ve never been more excited to take a 35% paycut! 😁
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's amazing. Congratulations!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've always had the idea that I'd love New Zealand, but that it would be expensive.

I was hoping to win megaball or powerball this week so I could end my career. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:56 pm That's amazing. Congratulations!
Thanks!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Congrats!

According to American Lore you're now a Hobbit now - right? Gotta update your profile location. :D
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Ænima wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm Just moved my family from The US to New Zealand to start a new job as Chief Software Architect. Going to be quite the challenge both technically and culturally, but I’ve never been more excited to take a 35% paycut! 😁
I have never been able to consider moving(My own personal limitations, my wife would love to move), so I applaud you. And hope it is everything you were hoping for. Sounds like an awesome opportunity.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I have never been able to consider moving
This is such a foreign concept to me. I've been in my current location for 5.5 years which is the longest I've been anywhere since I was 18. Before my current location, my average was 3.5 years and I've moved 8 times since college.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Not counting college, I've only lived in two places my entire life -- Westmont, IL and NYC. My plan is to stay in my current apartment until I die (and possibly for a couple weeks thereafter, depending on when they find the body).

That said, if I were to just pick up and go, New Zealand sounds awfully tempting!
RMC

Post by RMC »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:41 am
This is such a foreign concept to me. I've been in my current location for 5.5 years which is the longest I've been anywhere since I was 18. Before my current location, my average was 3.5 years and I've moved 8 times since college.
I have been around the world in the Navy, and have had 3 jobs where I traveled extensively. Been to every state in the US, including Alaska and Hawaii, and most of Central America, the Middle East, Asia, and lots of other places.

Currently I have 3 kids, and they are all in school, and living in the house I grew up in. I bought my parents old house and put an in law suite for my mother. So I want my kids to have a stable place to grow up and go to school at.

I have a great career, and make good money, so no real reason to move, and if my career path stays on target I'll get my bosses job when he retires in a few years. <shrug>

Once my kids are out of school, and my mother is out of the house then maybe I will move. Not really sure what I will do honestly. But I have been all over the place and like home the best honestly. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If ever I get there (it's on the bucket list) I'll give you a holler. I have a good friend who is a native Kiwi (really, he has an exceptionally long, thin beak) and currently lives in suburban DC. He's an artist, and I once received an invitation from the NZ ambassador to attend a showing of is art at the NZ embassy. Wish I was able to go...I was working 2 jobs at the time (one a travel job) and it just wasn't logistically possible.

As far as moving elsewhere, my wife and I were reviewing my 401(k) statement yesterday. The punchline is I might be able to retire someday (after age 70); provided we sell the house and move into a Manila shit hole (literally, the kind of place that has no indoor plumbing, just a hole). But hey, travel to NZ and AU are cheaper from there!
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

philly - a little under two years
rochester, ny - a little under two years
columbia, sc - one year
dallas(ish) - 20 years as of this month, 2 years in an apt, 9 years in our first house, 9 years and counting in our current house

Career-wise I am starting to consider the shift to people management but I am not excited about the prospect. My problem as an individual contributor is that it's hard to be an individual contributor anymore, it takes a team to do anything and I am not what you call a people person and I've never been comfortable reaching out for help. On the other hand it seems that managing people also requires dealing with people and I feel like my hands are pretty full just being responsible for me. We are starting the journey slowly as a "development advisor" for a couple college hires which means I am there for them, as someone outside their org and chain of command, if they need help with pretty much anything related to work, job growth, career moves, etc. We'll see how it goes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

RMC wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:38 am
I have been around the world in the Navy, and have had 3 jobs where I traveled extensively. Been to every state in the US, including Alaska and Hawaii, and most of Central America, the Middle East, Asia, and lots of other places.

Currently I have 3 kids, and they are all in school, and living in the house I grew up in. I bought my parents old house and put an in law suite for my mother. So I want my kids to have a stable place to grow up and go to school at.

I have a great career, and make good money, so no real reason to move, and if my career path stays on target I'll get my bosses job when he retires in a few years. <shrug>

Once my kids are out of school, and my mother is out of the house then maybe I will move. Not really sure what I will do honestly. But I have been all over the place and like home the best honestly. :)
I took your name out of the quote to make it more general, so I hope you don't feel I called you out. :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:14 am
RMC wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:38 am

I took your name out of the quote to make it more general, so I hope you don't feel I called you out. :)
Oh not at all. I am who I am. :) Just wanted to give perspective on why I felt moving was not really an option.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 am philly - a little under two years
rochester, ny - a little under two years
columbia, sc - one year
dallas(ish) - 20 years as of this month, 2 years in an apt, 9 years in our first house, 9 years and counting in our current house
Huh. I would have guessed you were older than 25.

:D
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

My career is gone as I am retiring at the end of this year. Woo-hoo!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have no career. I was an IT/Logistics guy currently doing grunt work as a delivery driver, since I can't find a job as anything else. Too many young guns taking jobs I barely qualify for. :-) My technical education is behind, and the job kept me busy so I don't have time to do anything else.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

So I just got a huge-ass raise yesterday out of NOWHERE. 11%, no new responsibilities added. They explained that they're trying to retain certain people and that they're recognizing people who are good contributors and I'm like "WHY ME." Weirdest thing that's ever happened to me.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:47 am So I just got a huge-ass raise yesterday out of NOWHERE. 11%, no new responsibilities added. They explained that they're trying to retain certain people and that they're recognizing people who are good contributors and I'm like "WHY ME." Weirdest thing that's ever happened to me.
That's awesome man. Congrats!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.