[movie] Ghostbusters - female edition

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: [movie] Ghostbusters - female edition

Post by Kraken »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
The humor there was lost on me. I'm not religious but I just didn't find it funny. At least no one is going to call me misogynistic for not liking his review.
I haven't liked any of this fellow's reviews yet.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
The humor there was lost on me. I'm not religious but I just didn't find it funny. At least no one is going to call me misogynistic for not liking his review.
It's a one-note satire that doesn't hit that note very well. I wasn't impressed, either.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I thought it was pretty good, though yeah one note. I was impressed they didn't take the obvious route and go with the misogyny angle. Still, it pales in comparison to their excellent review of The Hunger Games.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:
I haven't liked any of this fellow's reviews yet.
Then you haven't watched his Superman vs. Batman review.

I love Rosenthal's "reviews". This one not so much, true. But they can't all be great, I suppose.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

YellowKing wrote:We were two of four people in the entire theater on a 9:00pm showing on a Friday night in the second week of release. Not what Sony was hoping for, I imagine.
They still haven't broken even: Worldwide Gross: $122,856,739
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Moliere wrote:
YellowKing wrote:We were two of four people in the entire theater on a 9:00pm showing on a Friday night in the second week of release. Not what Sony was hoping for, I imagine.
They still haven't broken even: Worldwide Gross: $122,856,739
Their foreign box office is not good. Only $36 million. I dont know how wide spread the release was but that does not look good.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe they cant make another one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I'm honestly shocked, SHOCKED I tells ya, that so many people idolize the original film to the degree they claim. Don't get me wrong: I loved the original movie when it first came out, I even saw it twice at the theater, but after that I was good. Never had the slightest desire to see it again. Certainly never considered it an Untouchable Classic That Should Not Be Remade, and I can't help but be suspicious when everyone I know that knocked the movie (long before it was released, BTW) is also someone who thought the Phantom Menace was a great film.

Finally, I look at the cast of the film and realize three things: 1. This is a much better choice than going with a bunch of 70 year olds 2. This is a much better choice than going with any of the male comics of our age (Adam Sandler and David Spade, etc. were not going to cut it) and 3. This cast is at least potentially funnier than the original one.

I have a strong feeling that all the negative publicity drummed up on the internet about this film has everything to do with the all-female cast and nothing to do with it being a remake. In any event, I can't wait to see it (On DVD, of course :mrgreen: )!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I loved the originals but that has nothing to do with my hate of this film.

1. Director said fuck all the idiots.
2. It has McCarthy in it and I hate her..so unfunny
3. It plays the race card
4. It looks bad in the effects and way its shot
5. The stuff I saw in the trailer did not get a chuckle or even a grin..worst opposite end of funny to me..not funny and lame.
6. it has that idiot McCarthy in it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote:Oh I loved the originals but that has nothing to do with my hate of this film.

1. Director said fuck all the idiots.
I know nothing of this.
2. It has McCarthy in it and I hate her..so unfunny
I liked her in Gilmore Girls - haven't been a fan of her movies. I thought she did well in this one. They weren't playing her as a fat person - simply a person.
3. It plays the race card
I'm not sure what this one means. There is a person of color in it. She is somewhat stereotypical, but she's also funny and competent.
4. It looks bad in the effects and way its shot
Not sure what you are comparing it to. The effects were fine - it all looked as real as any science fiction thing does these days.
5. The stuff I saw in the trailer did not get a chuckle or even a grin..worst opposite end of funny to me..not funny and lame.
The only part of the trailer that eventually grew on me was the demon riding on the shoulders. But the trailer is not the whole movie.
6. it has that idiot McCarthy in it.
YMMV, but she's not bad in it.

On the plus side - Kate McKinnon is in it. She is very, very good in a zany kind of way. I found myself paying attention to her reactions more than who was talking. Wish she had had a bigger role.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Apollo wrote:I have a strong feeling that all the negative publicity drummed up on the internet about this film has everything to do with the all-female cast and nothing to do with it being a remake. In any event, I can't wait to see it (On DVD, of course :mrgreen: )!
This is your politics, here, and has little to do with reality.

The funny male actors you can think of are Adam Sandler and David Spade? You can't imagine Chris Pratt, Neil Patrick Harris, John C. Reilly, Simon Pegg, Zach Galifianakis, Paul Rudd, John Goodman, Will Ferrell, or any of the hundred other good comedic actors?

As for the men-just-hate-women argument, that's puppies. There seems to be no problem at all with the Wonder Woman trailer. If men hate leading women, why is that?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

cheeba wrote:As for the men-just-hate-women argument, that's puppies. There seems to be no problem at all with the Wonder Woman trailer. If men hate leading women, why is that?
Just floating a theory here - but Gal Gadot is painfully attractive. This new Ghostbusters movie is not marketed on sex appeal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Damn straight Gal is a super mega hot babe. WOW.
On the plus side - Kate McKinnon is in it. She is very, very good in a zany kind of way. I found myself paying attention to her reactions more than who was talking. Wish she had had a bigger role.
Never heard of her before the trailers. I looked her up because she is damn cute. Turns out she is a good actress....well from the little snips I found online of her. Too bad she got associated with this movie.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:
cheeba wrote:As for the men-just-hate-women argument, that's puppies. There seems to be no problem at all with the Wonder Woman trailer. If men hate leading women, why is that?
Just floating a theory here - but Gal Gadot is painfully attractive. This new Ghostbusters movie is not marketed on sex appeal.
Also the fact that the new movie's reason for being is essentially "Ghostbusters but with girls", of course it was going to become something of a culture war flashpoint.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If they had just gone with a mixed-gender crew with the best comedians that fit the roles, it wouldn't have been a big issue. But the us-vs-them mentality is still prevalent on both sides. And obviously, one side has had the lion's lioness' tiger's genderless-big-cat's share of the advantage for a long time.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

cheeba wrote:
Apollo wrote:I have a strong feeling that all the negative publicity drummed up on the internet about this film has everything to do with the all-female cast and nothing to do with it being a remake. In any event, I can't wait to see it (On DVD, of course :mrgreen: )!
This is your politics, here, and has little to do with reality.

The funny male actors you can think of are Adam Sandler and David Spade? You can't imagine Chris Pratt, Neil Patrick Harris, John C. Reilly, Simon Pegg, Zach Galifianakis, Paul Rudd, John Goodman, Will Ferrell, or any of the hundred other good comedic actors?

As for the men-just-hate-women argument, that's puppies. There seems to be no problem at all with the Wonder Woman trailer. If men hate leading women, why is that?
From every account I've read, little girls generally love this movie. If this gives little girls a reason to have an active fantasy life with a reason to reject separate spheres then I'm all for the movie even if the movie isn't for me. All entertainment media doesn't have to be for me even if it's based on fond memories of my little boy childhood.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Let's be honest, Sony exploited the shit out of that culture war aspect to it. Here's director Paul Feig writing an article, "Why Men Aren't Funny".

I think Comic Book Girl 19 hit it out of the park with her video on the whole thing. tl;dw - she thinks the movie is soulless Hollywood pap made by people who are in it for the money and not interested in making great movies, and the marketing machine exploited the controversy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Amen, LM. I think that might be the best response I've read. :wink:
cheeba wrote: Here's director Paul Feig writing an article, "Why Men Aren't Funny".
I'm pretty sure that was a response to Adam Carolla once saying women weren't funny.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Apollo wrote: I have a strong feeling that all the negative publicity drummed up on the internet about this film has everything to do with the all-female cast and nothing to do with it being a remake. In any event, I can't wait to see it (On DVD, of course :mrgreen: )!

Much of that was amplified by and taken advantage by Sony to drum up PR for their agenda. I think you'll find that most reasonable people don't care if the cast is all-female at all, but rather wished for a good movie to to at least be in-line with and pay respect to the original. The whole misogynist angle was overplayed. And to be honest, the way Sony handled it did no favours to them. It only attracted negative attention towards the movie. It's like pissing into the wind. You know it won't end well. Had they just let that go, it would pretty much be a non-issue.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: The whole misogynist angle was overplayed. And to be honest, the way Sony handled it did no favours to them. It only attracted negative attention towards the movie. It's like pissing into the wind. You know it won't end well. Had they just let that go, it would pretty much be a non-issue.
You have no way of knowing that. And what happened to Leslie Jones on Twitter was just wrong.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:
Rumpy wrote: The whole misogynist angle was overplayed. And to be honest, the way Sony handled it did no favours to them. It only attracted negative attention towards the movie. It's like pissing into the wind. You know it won't end well. Had they just let that go, it would pretty much be a non-issue.
You have no way of knowing that. And what happened to Leslie Jones on Twitter was just wrong.
Just read on this based on your post. The Internet is such a vile place. And at what point do people become shamed for associating with brietbart?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As I pointed out in my review, the race/sex angle that so many feared from the trailer simply doesn't exist in the movie. There is literally one line referring to race/gender (the Leslie Jones line from the trailer), and virtually no other reference to them being women - the closest reference to sexism is Chris Hemsworth showing the "ghost with boobs" logo, but it's one of many logos he comes up with and makes sense in the context of the gag.

It's really odd, because all the drama playing out doesn't actually exist in the film. I was totally prepared to rip Feig to shreds, but he keeps propaganda out of the movie. For that I have to eat crow.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now, while YK is weak, let's make him watch Spy!
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote:

Of course it is. I don't think anybody is arguing that it isn't. It really is terrible and I feel for her. But Sony did play up on that angle in the PR and marketing of the movie and only helped fuel the fire. That's what I'm speaking of in being overplayed. They fed into the drama, which in itself is wrong.
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:As I pointed out in my review, the race/sex angle that so many feared from the trailer simply doesn't exist in the movie. There is literally one line referring to race/gender (the Leslie Jones line from the trailer), and virtually no other reference to them being women - the closest reference to sexism is Chris Hemsworth showing the "ghost with boobs" logo, but it's one of many logos he comes up with and makes sense in the context of the gag.

It's really odd, because all the drama playing out doesn't actually exist in the film. I was totally prepared to rip Feig to shreds, but he keeps propaganda out of the movie. For that I have to eat crow.
At least two of the young daughters of friends I know who saw the movie thought it had sexist moments because of the way it mocked and reduced Chris Hemsorth's character. Haven't seen the movie but it just feels like a "from the mouths of babes" moment.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote:
YellowKing wrote:As I pointed out in my review, the race/sex angle that so many feared from the trailer simply doesn't exist in the movie. There is literally one line referring to race/gender (the Leslie Jones line from the trailer), and virtually no other reference to them being women - the closest reference to sexism is Chris Hemsworth showing the "ghost with boobs" logo, but it's one of many logos he comes up with and makes sense in the context of the gag.

At least two of the young daughters of friends I know who saw the movie thought it had sexist moments because of the way it mocked and reduced Chris Hemsorth's character. Haven't seen the movie but it just feels like a "from the mouths of babes" moment.
That was the point of that character. So at least they got it. :)

It really is unfair that people who look like him exist in the world.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

LordMortis wrote:At least two of the young daughters of friends I know who saw the movie thought it had sexist moments because of the way it mocked and reduced Chris Hemsorth's character.
It was a gender reversal of the "secretary hired just for her looks" trope, so in that respect you could stretch and say it was sexist towards men. However, it's clearly played for laughs - in fact, it's one of the few times Kristen Wiig is allowed to actually be funny in the film so I welcomed it.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote:Now, while YK is weak, let's make him watch Spy!
"Spy" was awesome. Just seeing Jason Statham lampoon the character he plays in every movie was worth the price of admission.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just got back. It was enjoyable. I have to admit, when I saw the trailer way back when I wasn't happy of the reboot. It didn't need to be rebooted. But with that said, it was a fun movie.

As far as the race card. Umm huh? There was one line where she staged dived and nobody caught her. She made a joke stating I don't know if that was because of my race or my sex, but I'm pissed off now. That's it. Hardly inciting.

I liked the cameos. I don't think the movie would be any better if they stuck with the same cast. They're old, and one is dead right?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote:one is dead right?
Or possibly a ghost.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I've watched pieces of this and it is so bad that I can't sit through a whole showing.

The characters are unlikable and unfunny. Not because they are women, but because they are written so poorly
The special effects are decent, but mostly do nothing in service of the story - the direction is as if it could be done by a 12-year old
The writing is god-awful

What's interesting is that Paul Feig has co-writing and direction credits here.

IMHO, it would have been far better if they had let Kristen Wiig write, rather than Feig and the co-writer. That was funny with decent characters, if still a bit juvenile in some of the humor.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.