Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: [movie] Ghostbusters - female edition

Post by AWS260 »

Needs more Pat Kiernan, less Al Roker.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

McCarthy is not funny at all though. She has no funny bone in her skeleton. No nothing. But Ive not watched a movie with her...Just clips and trailers. Just so bad from what Ive seen. I thought her movies bombed because she was so bad.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

What's really funny about this Ghostbusters is the outrage and idiot journalists using this as another weapon in the great culture war.

The Angry Video Game Nerd (who I had never heard of before), a reviewer with Cinemassacre made a video saying he wasn't going to review the new movie. He said the original Ghostbusters was one of his favorite movies of all time and the new one looks like shit and he's going to make a radical choice and not go see and review a movie he knows is going to be shit.

And of course a bunch of people are totally outraged by this obvious SEXISM!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm a big sexist when it comes to comedy and the ratio of guys that can make me laugh to girls is pretty lopsided. However, McCarthy is a funny woman. She might not always have the best material to go off of, but her comedic timing is impeccable.

And how in the hell can you completely dismiss her comedic abilities when you've never seen her in a movie?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Forget it, McNutt. It's Daehawk. :)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I like Kate McKinnon more than Melissa McCarthy. This SNL video where she had her cast cracking up is hilarious.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

McNutt wrote:I'm a big sexist when it comes to comedy and the ratio of guys that can make me laugh to girls is pretty lopsided. However, McCarthy is a funny woman. She might not always have the best material to go off of, but her comedic timing is impeccable.

And how in the hell can you completely dismiss her comedic abilities when you've never seen her in a movie?
I don't even know who she is and I just decided that I don't like her. :P
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I loved Melissa McCarthy until I realized she was a one-trick pony. And to be fair, that's probably not her fault. She just happens to be a favorite of Paul Feig, who knows only one style of comedy (girls can be gross!) and rubs your face in it every chance he gets. Unfortunately he used this gimmick so successfully in Bridesmaids that she will be forever playing the same crass-mouthed role in every movie from here on out.

I enjoyed Bridesmaids, though I didn't find it as uproarious as everyone else did. Same with Spy. I didn't bother with Tammy since it got horrendous reviews. I didn't bother with The Heat because it's another Paul Feig/Melissa McCarthy movie, so I knew I'd already seen it since he only knows how to make the same damn movie over and over. McCarthy's career is doing fine, but it's also a career launched by her shitting in a sink. Which is unfortunate.

Despite all that, I don't blame the cast one iota for this movie, because they are all extremely funny women. The blame lays squarely on Feig who was hell-bent to do this his way or the highway (go read the hacked Sony emails if you don't believe it), and whose only goal with this film is to push his feminist poop-joke agenda at the expense of the fans. The film is going to be a hit - the brand is too recognizable, and the CGI effects too plentiful for it not to be. It's just too bad that after 30 years, this is the best they could do. The thought of enduring another tired Paul Feig poop joke or Melissa McCarthy pratfall.....except with a Ghostbusters logo slapped on it.....makes me want to shove ice picks into my brain.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

cheeba wrote:I like Kate McKinnon more than Melissa McCarthy. This SNL video where she had her cast cracking up is hilarious.
Yeah, me too - Kate McKinnon is tremendous (and that sketch is great).
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote:She just happens to be a favorite of Paul Feig, who knows only one style of comedy (girls can be gross!) and rubs your face in it every chance he gets. Unfortunately he used this gimmick so successfully in Bridesmaids that she will be forever playing the same crass-mouthed role in every movie from here on out.

And that's just the thing, isn't it? I don't feel his brand of comedy is right for this at all. I'm all for the team itself, under the right circumstances. Maybe a different director would done a better more balanced job without resorting to falling to stupid stereotypes.

I find it frustrating. He accuses people of being sexist for not wanting to see it, yet at the very same time, his movie resorts to stupid stereotypes that scream "look at me!" that don't help its case. I can't take him seriously. A bad movie is a bad movie any day of the week.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

cheeba wrote:What's really funny about this Ghostbusters is the outrage and idiot journalists using this as another weapon in the great culture war.
It's only a culture war to those on both sides who have nothing better to do than try to wage one. It's freaking tiresome at this point.

p.s. "great"? It's a juvenile squabble involving folks that want to be able to masturbate to everything they consume. It's not the War of 1812. :wink:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I became aware of McCarthy with Mike and Molly, which I enjoyed while I had a DVR. Once I dropped cable, most of the TV I was watching was abandoned. But that show had none of McCarthy being the disgusting one.

The show lasted six seasons and made it to syndication. All without the taint of Paul Feig.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still maintain that Spy was utterly hilarious.

:snooty:
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

hepcat wrote:p.s. "great"? It's a juvenile squabble involving folks that want to be able to masturbate to everything they consume.
Bullshit.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I've only seen McCarthey in Identity Theft and Heat, and I thought they were both very funny (though admittedly she played essentially the same character in both of them). I don't think I'm familiar with any of the other actress/comedians in this film, but it wouldn't matter if I did. It's not them that I don't like (in the trailers, anyway). It's the material they're delivering and/or how they're delivering it that doesn't work for me. I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way even if Ghostbusters wasn't a classic 80s comedy film that I have some affection for.

Post by Default »

hepcat wrote:
cheeba wrote:What's really funny about this Ghostbusters is the outrage and idiot journalists using this as another weapon in the great culture war.
It's only a culture war to those on both sides who have nothing better to do than try to wage one. It's freaking tiresome at this point.

p.s. "great"? It's a juvenile squabble involving folks that want to be able to masturbate to everything they consume. It's not the War of 1812. :wink:
Didn't dbt once say that he masturbated to the war of 1812?
Or am I thinking of someone else?
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, he said he'd masturbated DURING the War of 1812.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don't doubt that this will probably have a big opening weekend, if for no other reason than because of the cast. But I think a lot of the target audience will have seen the original Ghostbusters and the comparison of the two, which will be unavoidable, will lead to a quick reduction in tickets sold.

Unless the movie is a lot better than it looks.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have to wonder how badly the negative press will affect opening box office for this one.

Although if it really is good, I'm betting that word of mouth will negate that problem.

But it will have to have GREAT reviews before I consider going.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

El Guapo wrote:
cheeba wrote:I like Kate McKinnon more than Melissa McCarthy. This SNL video where she had her cast cracking up is hilarious.
Yeah, me too - Kate McKinnon is tremendous (and that sketch is great).
I dont know her due to finding SNL non funny since the early 1980s but I admit to her being the cute one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
morlac

Post by morlac »

MHS wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Maybe this movie will end McCarthy's career..such as it is.
"Such as it is," seriously? Her films are very successful commercially. I personally don't understand it but Spy grossed $110+ million domestic, The Heat did $159+ million domestic, Tammy $84+ million dom...her career is doing just fine.

I just don't the hate for her. I thought Spy was awesome. I also thought she was great in St. Vincent. For a plus sized actress I love how bankable she has become in Hollywood.
morlac

Post by morlac »

McNutt wrote: And how in the hell can you completely dismiss her comedic abilities when you've never seen her in a movie?

Easy, she's never done a Skyrim nude mod.

I kid Daehawk, but seriously you've never even seen one fo her movies.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not sure why he needed to release a six minute explanation when he could've just...you know...not reviewed it.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Until this movie came out I never realized how many people hold Ghostbusters as some sacred work of art. I liked the movie and all, but I can't imagine a reviewer going on a "how dare you" rant like that guy in saying why he won't review the movie. The absurdity of a reviewer protesting a Ghostbusters movie is fascinating.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The last time I saw this much gnashing of the teeth, Ted Turner was trying to colorize The Maltese Falcon. And even then folks pointed out you could just...you know...NOT watch it.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:The last time I saw this much gnashing of the teeth, Ted Turner was trying to colorize The Maltese Falcon. And even then folks pointed out you could just...you know...NOT watch it.
1989. :ninja:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’m not that huge of Ghostbuster fan but I can understand the hatred/ frustration since I’ve experienced it with other reboots. When a reboot like this happens it basically means you will never get more of the thing you loved. It’s not like a bad sequel, which at least acknowledges the memory of the original; this replaces it. For people who never experienced the original, this is all Ghostbusters will ever be. If it is successful, you get more of exactly this. If it flops, the franchise is officially dead. There is no winning outcome.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote:
hepcat wrote:The last time I saw this much gnashing of the teeth, Ted Turner was trying to colorize The Maltese Falcon. And even then folks pointed out you could just...you know...NOT watch it.
1989. :ninja:

Pretty sure it was the attempted colorization of Citizen Kane that drew the public outcry. Isg got the year right though... :dance:
morlac

Post by morlac »

Just wait till the remake of Roadhouse comes out.....
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
The film was colorized for television by Turner Broadcasting System, and released on Home Video by MGM/UA in 1989, but that version is no longer available.
geezer

Post by geezer »

McNutt wrote:Until this movie came out I never realized how many people hold Ghostbusters as some sacred work of art. I liked the movie and all, but I can't imagine a reviewer going on a "how dare you" rant like that guy in saying why he won't review the movie. The absurdity of a reviewer protesting a Ghostbusters movie is fascinating.
Somehow, someway, Bill Murray has become some sort of savant/institution/icon.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Lordnine wrote:I’m not that huge of Ghostbuster fan but I can understand the hatred/ frustration since I’ve experienced it with other reboots. When a reboot like this happens it basically means you will never get more of the thing you loved. It’s not like a bad sequel, which at least acknowledges the memory of the original; this replaces it. For people who never experienced the original, this is all Ghostbusters will ever be. If it is successful, you get more of exactly this. If it flops, the franchise is officially dead. There is no winning outcome.
That's wrong though. The Matrix sequels sucked so hard that it taints the greatness of the original. But reboots don't touch the originals in any way. The fact that the new TMNT movies are offensive to my childhood doesn't ruin the original two movies at all for me.

Turtles In Time already did that 20 years ago.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I want to love Bill Murray more than I actually do. The Netflix Christmas special was painful and I punched out less than halfway through.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The problem with being passive is that it basically just tells the studios that you are OK with them trotting out whatever pile of crap they want and you will happily lap it up. The only way to get studios to make better movies is to not support the bad ones with your dollars.

The great thing about the internet is that now you have a direct line of communication with the people who produce content. There have been many instances of companies responding to fan backlash. If that nerd rage prevents Sony from running one of my favorite franchises into the ground I say let loose the hounds of war.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote:Wiki
The film was colorized for television by Turner Broadcasting System, and released on Home Video by MGM/UA in 1989, but that version is no longer available.

Notes nothing of gnashing of teeth like happened with Citizen Kane...

"In the 1980s, Citizen Kane became a catalyst in the controversy over the colorization of black-and-white films. One proponent of film colorization was Ted Turner,[222] whose Turner Entertainment Company owned the RKO library.[223] A Turner Entertainment spokesperson initially stated that Citizen Kane would not be colorized,[224] but in July 1988 Turner said, "Citizen Kane? I'm thinking of colorizing it."[225] In early 1989 it was reported that two companies were producing color tests for Turner Entertainment. Criticism increased when filmmaker Henry Jaglom stated that shortly before his death Welles had implored him "don't let Ted Turner deface my movie with his crayons."[226]

In February 1989, Turner Entertainment president Roger Mayer announced that work to colorize the film had been stopped due to provisions in Welles's 1939 contract with RKO that "could be read to prohibit colorization without permission of the Welles estate."[227] Mayer added that Welles's contract was "quite unusual" and "other contracts we have checked out are not like this at all."[228] Turner had only colorized the final reel of the film before abandoning the project. In 1991 one minute of the colorized test footage was included in the BBC Arena documentary The Complete Citizen Kane.[t][229]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Kane

My history of Film professor would be proud I remembered :)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

While colorizing old films is in fact evil, making a bad Ghostbusters only rises to the level of annoying.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

msteelers wrote:
Lordnine wrote:I’m not that huge of Ghostbuster fan but I can understand the hatred/ frustration since I’ve experienced it with other reboots. When a reboot like this happens it basically means you will never get more of the thing you loved. It’s not like a bad sequel, which at least acknowledges the memory of the original; this replaces it. For people who never experienced the original, this is all Ghostbusters will ever be. If it is successful, you get more of exactly this. If it flops, the franchise is officially dead. There is no winning outcome.
That's wrong though. The Matrix sequels sucked so hard that it taints the greatness of the original. But reboots don't touch the originals in any way. The fact that the new TMNT movies are offensive to my childhood doesn't ruin the original two movies at all for me.

Turtles In Time already did that 20 years ago.
The Turtles are on a slightly different spectrum though since they have already existed in multiple iterations throughout the years. What would your opinion on the Matrix be if they rebooted it with Adam Sandler as Neo and that movie went on to spawn two more dreadful sequels of its own?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I wish there was this level of outrage for every remake Hollywood shovels out at us. For god's sake they're currently attempting to remake:

Jumanji
Roots
Flatliners
Interview with a Vampire
The Craft (wtf?)
Commando
WarGames

And that's just a few. Some of these movies are hardly 20 years old.