Frozen 2

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Frozen 2

Post by Isgrimnur »

Telegraph
The news was revealed by the company at Disney’s Annual Meeting of Shareholders in San Francisco on Thursday.

John Lasseter, chief creative officer at Pixar, Walt Disney Animation Studios, and DisneyToon Studios, made the announcement with Bob Iger and actor Josh Gad, who provides the voice of Olaf in Frozen.

It was confirmed that Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck, the directors of the original Frozen, will continue in their roles for the next film after winning the Best Animated Feature Oscar and the Best Original Song Oscar (for Let it Go) in 2014.

Idina Menzel, the actress who voices Elsa, told the Telegraph last year that a Frozen sequel and a stage musical - in addition to a six-minute short - were "all in the works.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Re: Frozen 2

Post by Exodor »

My 9 year old daughter, who just one year ago loved Frozen so much we saw it in the theater twice, now calls Frozen "stupid" and "for babies." Sadly I think she's reached the age where she's more concerned with what the group considers "cool" than what she really thinks.

Maybe she'll be over it by the time Frozen 2 comes out because I'm sure going to see it whether she wants to go or not. The first is one of my favorite Disney movies. :oops:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, according to my wife, our baby liked it when they watched the DVD several months ago. So perhaps it is for babies. I will warn my wife that she is going to be stuck watching 2 with him when it comes out on video.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I heard a radio interview with Menzel who said her son refers to Frozen as that mf'ing movie.

:shock:

I guess he has seen it or heard the songs so many times he is just sick of them.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

My two year old will only watch Frozen, Finding Nemo, and Ice Age. Seen them all about a dozen times in the last month. I think they're all good but the Elsa and Anna need some serious therapy.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just watched the original. Any way, I watched all the extra material I could and how they developed it was interesting.

Basically, they originally casted Elsa as a heavy villain (kinda like the Snow Queen in the original story) and the composers (husband wife team Bobby and Kristen Lopez) are asked to come up with "Badass Elsa song" about Elsa getting her powers and will soon gather her evil snowmen that's going to terrorize the village, and they went for a walk to the park, where they started pitching each other ideas, and they composed the melody and the rest of the song from that in a day or two. And that was "Let it go". The producers and the directors loved it, but also means the entire script had to be rewritten from scratch, as Elsa had to be recast as someone who have to come to terms with her powers and only caused misery by mistake and fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHp_LYMV9zE

I find the creative process fascinating. it's big enough it MUST have a sequel.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Odin

Post by Odin »

I also thought the story of how "Let it Go" redefined the entire movie was fascinating.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I feel like I ought to see the first Frozen movie someday, but it has a little-girl Disney-princess vibe that repels me. Is it a movie an adult male with no children would enjoy?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As an adult male with no children, I did enjoy it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll give it a try one day, then.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Frozen was pretty good for what it was, but I personally preferred Moana over it. Felt it had a better story and songs.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I had no idea the woman in the Enterprise Car ads was the other sister from Frozen.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I might have seen/overheard Frozen more than any other movie. My middle son loved it and for the past two years my daughter picks it any time she gets to pick the movie. That usually relegates her to our bedroom so that my older kids don't have to watch it again.

We will be seeing Frozen 2 at the theater. There's simply no way around it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:31 pm Frozen was pretty good for what it was, but I personally preferred Moana over it. Felt it had a better story and songs.
I've never seen Moana, either. Or the Lion King. Or much of any Disney fare from the 80s-onward, really.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:05 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:31 pm Frozen was pretty good for what it was, but I personally preferred Moana over it. Felt it had a better story and songs.
I've never seen Moana, either. Or the Lion King. Or much of any Disney fare from the 80s-onward, really.
I don't know what you look for in a Disney movie, but Robin Williams' performance in Alladin is pretty classic.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:13 pm
I don't know what you look for in a Disney movie, but Robin Williams' performance in Alladin is pretty classic.
You young'uns just don't realize how traumatic the whole Uncle Remus experience was back in the day.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Moana is fantastic. I'm meh on the Lion King.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:24 pm I'm meh on the Lion King.
I've seen the animated version, the traveling stage version, and the "live" action version. The only one that entertained me at all was the stage version.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've seen a local stage production of The Lion King earlier this year, and it was amazing. They had done it with middle-school and high-school kids. It was very cute. I'd love to see a stage version of Moana. But I assume I'll have to wait awhile as Disney just started touring a stage version of Frozen.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Of the modern Disney films, the one that entertained me the most was Tangled. Something about that movie hit me perfectly.

Frozen was pretty good, I saw it the one time. Moana was fun too. But Tangled. That's the one for me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Watched it with my 5 years old daughter. She loved it and want to watch again.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Took our kids to see it yesterday...decent movie, but not as good as the first. The story is okay, but the songs all fall pretty flat for a movie that depends on them so much. I actually looked at my wife during the Kristoff song and questioned whose idea it was to include a cheesy 80s moment. The kids (11yo girls and 5yo boy) loved it though, so my opinion probably doesn't matter that much...
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hentzau wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:14 pm Of the modern Disney films, the one that entertained me the most was Tangled. Something about that movie hit me perfectly.

Frozen was pretty good, I saw it the one time. Moana was fun too. But Tangled. That's the one for me.
I think it’s the music.

It was a massive hit in our house too.

Most underrated Disney Princess movie.
Plus Maximus seriously nails it.
Victoria Raverna

disarm wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 am Took our kids to see it yesterday...decent movie, but not as good as the first. The story is okay, but the songs all fall pretty flat for a movie that depends on them so much. I actually looked at my wife during the Kristoff song and questioned whose idea it was to include a cheesy 80s moment. The kids (11yo girls and 5yo boy) loved it though, so my opinion probably doesn't matter that much...
I love the cheesy 80s moment.

I also like half of the songs in the movie. I didn't like most of them when I first listened to them but now Into the Unknown and The Next Right Thing are my favorite. The cheesy 80s Lost in the Woods is also not bad. Reminded me of my high school years.
Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Our kids (and the grown-ups) all really liked it. Olaf summarizing the movies stole the show.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've been seeing rave reviews from family and friends, which I guess is good. The trailer was pretty bland and uninteresting.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I really liked the first one but absolutely hated the stupid snowman. It really felt forced and out of place to be honest.
Not looking forward to eventually seeing the second one because of that annoying little *****.

Aside from that, yes! Tangled! Seriously good movie.

And I also agree with the fact that the live version of The Lion King is super awesome. Saw it twice in London and blew me away twice, that soundtrack also has some very good songs (shadowlands,...)
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ugh, for penance for possibly going out with my friends tonight, I have to take wife and kids to see this over the weekend. Makes me want to punch myself.

We're going to have to bring them to a theater that has a bar so daddy has something to do when the kids need to be extracted from the theater due to their complete inability to sit still more than 10 minutes.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My family and I saw it last night. It was good, but not as great as the first. And I'd agree it's mostly the music that felt bland. Maybe the songs will grow on me if I hear them more, but nothing really caught my ear much on the first listen. My wife loved the 80s power ballad though.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

"Samantha?"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Enjoyed the movie, but it did not have a stand out song like the first. Seemed like they were trying too hard to make "into the unknown" into a hit, except that it is not a hit. It just is not. I was annoyed by a particular side character that seemed to be "token inclusivity"

But overall, a good disney movie, and plenty of fun to watch.

before the movie there was a commercial with the muppets in it, and I cried. because they sang the song, and that song always makes me cry.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Which side character was that?

There was a "friend" from that other clan that was teaching Kristoff how to propose. Their interaction was kind of strange and it seemed like it was heading towards a love interest.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:32 am Which side character was that?
I'm curious about that too. I can't even imagine.

The whole family enjoyed it as did I. A little bit predictable, but still good.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Saw it this past weekend and enjoyed it. Wife was very taken with the fire salamander (Bruni).
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Took the family during the break and we all enjoyed it. Agreed on most of the opinions above regarding the music, and 100% agree with Olaf stealing the show with the Frozen recap. Menzel's voice is stunning, and her two main songs stood out to me. Kristoff's song was awkward to say the least. Loved the Captain of the guard in the mists, thought his character was great.

All in all, very good, not quite on par with the first, but had its moments for certain.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My nine-year-old son complained about having to see this at the theater (it was mainly for his 4-year-old sister), but he ended up laughing his ass off and enjoying it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

THR
A South Korean civic group has filed a complaint with local prosecutors against the Walt Disney Company, claiming that Frozen 2 violated the country's antitrust act by showing on 88 percent of domestic movie screens.
The metric used by PWC, as well as other film industry bodies, to measure screen share uses the percentage of screens showing a specific film at least once in the given day. But the other organizations, including the state-run Korean Film Council (KOFIC), calculate screen share by taking the total number of times a certain film was shown and dividing it by the total number of times any film was shown on that day.

Using KOFIC's measure, the screen share — or percentage of showings — of Frozen 2 on Nov. 23 was 46.3 percent, not the 88 percent figure cited by PWC.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I have 2 daughters 11 & 14, and 2 nieces 19 & 22. I've been exposed to most of the Disney princess movies over the last 2 decades.

I enjoyed Frozen 2. I didn't enjoy the songs. There were too many and they were forgettable - which may be better than the carpet bombing popularity of Let It Go. I particularly liked Anna's story. When things were bleak and at the lowest point imaginable, she found the strength to get up and do "the next right thing". No one rescued her. She didn't witlessly blunder into the solution in some humorous fashion. She grieved then got up and went on even though she had no reason to think that it would fix her problems. It was very similar to the first movie when she saw Kristoff coming towards her, but Elsa was in danger, so she turned to help Elsa, knowing it would likely kill her.

And yes, Tangled may be the best of the Princess movies. Songs are catchy, but not overdone. Rapunzel and Flynn are both strong characters who each get their moments to shine. Rapunzel needed help. Flynn was flawed and incomplete. They were both given room to grow. My one complaint about Frozen is that Kristoff doesn't really play a part. He helps guide Anna up the mountain, but that's about it (although his speech about marrying someone you just met was classic). And in Frozen 2, he might as well have been harvesting ice the whole time and not even showed up.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Victoria Raverna

Weezer recreated Kristoff's 80s music video scene with Kristen Bell.