X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Doomboy wrote:Yep, I get to hope they put it on demand soon so I can watch it, since my DVR recorded a half hour of football people telling everyone that watched it what they just watched.
The only thing more boring than watching sportsball is watching people talk about sportsball.

At least fox knows they fucked up and made the episode available online. Getting it to play took some doing (their site didn't like Wife's Toshiba-licensed version of firefox but it played ok through the browser formerly known as IE as long as you were willing to sit through an ad) but we managed to finish the episode.
rshetts2 wrote:The first episode was decent. It was clearly made to re-establish the underlying mythos and the X-Files themselves. I think now that they have all the necessary introductions out of the way things flow a bit better.
The Globe's TV critic is of the opinion that the X-Files was worst when it was doing its Serious Alien Conspiracy story arc (which ultimately fizzled into silliness) and best when it did monster-of-the-week shows when the writers could stretch. The premier jumped right back into Serious Alien Conspiracy stuff, so he didn't like it as much as the next few episodes to come.

With that foreshadowing, I thought the premier was better than expected, although I can see his point: The show's better when it doesn't take itself so seriously. I did like how they brought the conspiracy right up to date though.

I guess episode 2 is recording right now. Probably watch that tomorrow if there wasn't sportsball again tonight.
disarm

Post by disarm »

They did a preview show last week, and I'm pretty sure that Chris Carter started in that show that this new run would have two episodes heavy on the old mythology at the beginning and end, with the four middle episodes being more 'monster of the week.' It should be interesting to see how everything plays out...
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The episode tonight was much better, and seemed like an old X Files story. Nice quips from M/S a couple of times. Felt like old times :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I was able to watch it on demand, got to sit through all the commercials though, thanks football!

I guess they are going to undo all the alien conspiracy stuff from the first time around. I don't really remember it all anyway, so that is okay. I like that the opening had some of my favorite monsters in it. Fluke man, the cannibal guy, and I guess one of the "family".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if The Lone Gunmen will somehow make an appearance?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I enjoyed it thanks mainly to the nostalgia factor, it did reinforce my long held opinion that Carter is just not a good writer. His conspiracy theory stories read like bad young adult fiction.

He lucked into creating some memorable characters, but he really shouldn't be writing tv shows.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Next week's episode is written by Darin Morgan - writer for what might be three of the greatest X-Files episodes ever filmed (Jose Chung's From Outer Space, War of the Coprophages, and Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose). Season 3 was killer. As much as I love Jose Chung (it's pure entertainment), the Clyde Bruckman episode is arguably a better story. The Coprophages is just total B-movie campy fun.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent!
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm trying to restrain myself, but my expectations for next week's episode are quite high.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd like to see a light hearted episode featuring the wacky misadventures of the family from the old episode Home.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You might be in luck - Episode #4 is titled "Home Again" and written by Darin's brother, Glen - co-writer of the original. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:shock:

I was kidding.

But now I'm hoping it is a sequel of sorts to that infamous episode. It would be cool if they discovered oil on their land and moved to Beverly Hills. One of the Peacock brothers could be obsessed with becoming a double naught spy.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote::shock:

I was kidding.
Home was just an allegory of Home Alone.

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

hepcat wrote::shock:

I was kidding.

But now I'm hoping it is a sequel of sorts to that infamous episode. It would be cool if they discovered oil on their land and moved to Beverly Hills. One of the Peacock brothers could be obsessed with becoming a double naught spy.
After reading a review of episode 2 from Entertainment Weekly, episode "home again' isn't a sequel
to the horrific episode "home". Sorry all you incest fans, guess you'll have to find your fix
elsewhere. :mrgreen:
tgb

Post by tgb »

We just watched the premiere. All it was missing was Happy Harry Cox
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I must have missed the part where they reinstated the X-Files and Mulder and Scully. It was a bit of a surprise to see them investigating a scene at the beginning of the second episode without any sort of hint that they were back at the FBI.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Doomboy wrote:I must have missed the part where they reinstated the X-Files and Mulder and Scully. It was a bit of a surprise to see them investigating a scene at the beginning of the second episode without any sort of hint that they were back at the FBI.
Yeah they kind of glossed over that part but at the end of the 1st episode they do mention that the x-files were being re-opened.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Finally getting around to watching this and I got goosebumps watching the classic opening credits. And it was hysterical listening to Mulder and the Art Bell wannabe spouting off as many conspiracy theories as they could under a minute while Scully had this WTF look on her face, even if a third of it was real... :ninja:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
geezer

Post by geezer »

I've managed to get the wife interested this, to the point that she wants to go back and watch the originals. It's interesting to see how Mulder has changed over the years - from a nerdy-Oxford-trained psychologist to.. I'm not sure what, but the character he became certainly isn't the character from the first few eps at least.

So far we've made it up to and through "Squeeze," which seems to be when many people think the series started to hit its stride in the first season. We had to watch it over two nights b/c my wife was creeped out and had to quit and come back the next day :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Squeeze is even better when you put together the actor that plays Tooms is none other than Doug Hutchinson -- of Courtney Stodden fame. What's even better is that Gillian Anderson said (in the last few years) that during the filming of that episode it was her 26th (?) birthday and Doug offered to come up to her hotel room to help her celebrate. So yes, Tooms was perfectly cast - he's one creepy dude. :D
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Yeah the Tooms episodes were great and showed the potential the The X-Files had. Those episodes are always among the first I think of when asked what I liked about the show. The mythology episodes were good for giving the show something to build itself on but pretty much everyone agrees that the monster of the week episodes are the ones where the X-Files really kicked ass.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

geezer wrote:So far we've made it up to and through "Squeeze," which seems to be when many people think the series started to hit its stride in the first season. We had to watch it over two nights b/c my wife was creeped out and had to quit and come back the next day :)
I've got most of these on DVD and tried going back through, but got frustrated when it seemed like every single episode could have been nullified by smart phones. For some reason it just kept popping in my head and every time I was all "Well, if he could just snap a picture" or "Well, if they could just call each other" or "Well, if he just had GPS"... :?

In the original I loved the stand-alone episodes and completely lost interest when it became a massive alien conspiracy every episode instead.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

What a great episode! Holds up with the best of their "funny" episodes. Really brought smiles to my face!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Yeah that was fun. There were a ton of easter egg type things in the episode. Things like Mulder's ring tone and Guy Mann's sex story and follow up explanation had me laughing, most of the episode.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah, that was an instant classic. So many in-jokes and the fan service was off the charts. Totally missed the Kim Manners tombstone reference -- I figured it was significant, but didn't realize why while watching. Regardless, as far as I'm concerned, that episode alone was worth the show returning. You can't do that all the time, but it was a well written treatment of the characters.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

But that costume at the end......yikes.
Seen better rubber suits in Godzilla movies.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The episode tried a wee bit too hard at times, I thought, but it was still a lot of fun. Given that they've only got 6 episodes to work with, I'd rather they have an over the top comedy episode than make them all too serious.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Keep meaning to post, but I didn't really enjoy this last episode ("Home Again"). It felt like the entire episode was written for the final scene/discussion between Mulder and Scully, specifically to give her the ability to suggest that their son never feels like he was treated like garbage. I'm still not exactly sure how the guitarist from Operation Ivy (or the singer from Rancid, depending on your preferences) worked his way into playing the Trashman, but overall I was left feeling "meh".
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Smoove_B wrote:Keep meaning to post, but I didn't really enjoy this last episode ("Home Again"). It felt like the entire episode was written for the final scene/discussion between Mulder and Scully, specifically to give her the ability to suggest that their son never feels like he was treated like garbage. I'm still not exactly sure how the guitarist from Operation Ivy (or the singer from Rancid, depending on your preferences) worked his way into playing the Trashman, but overall I was left feeling "meh".
I thought it was a good return to the "scary", low-light episodes with some nice (if obvious) parallels and a sort of in-joke.
The "in-joke" was the discussion of the beliefs behind the creation of Trashman with Mulder - who, years ago, would have accepted some level of legitimacy for the beliefs - shrugging off the possibility that the artist had somehow created a real Trashman. Then, of course, it turns out that that was what had happened.
Parallels (besides the one you mentioned about Mulder's and Scully's son) would be Mulder wishing Scully back to life (flashback) and Scully's brother Charlie bringing their mother back to life for a moment.
And, of course, more offhand jokes about flashlights, a central element of the X-Files. :)
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmmm...those are all valid points and solid observations that I missed out on. I think I was so fixated on the idea that we were looking at a man apparently made of garbage creeping around and killing people. I think the bigger messages were lost on me, though what you've stated makes more sense in context. Regardless, with two to go, here's hoping... :D
Bad Demographic

It's probably good that there are only 2 more episodes - I am starting to sit in front of the tv again, something I sort of gave up (at least I don't have any "must watch" nights anymore)
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Just watched last night's episode. The storyline didn't grab me but Duchovny's acting was top-notch (with some really good soundtrack to boot :D )
Spoiler:
If *that's* what the creators meant by "bringing back the Lone Gunmen", that's a major cop-out. Hopefully they'll be back in the last 2 episodes in a more substantive capacity.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

(In response to a comment in your spoiler.) I think there's only one more episode left.
Bad Demographic

I honestly don't remember seeing
Spoiler:
the lone gunmen. But then I know they look quite different now.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Bad Demographic wrote:I honestly don't remember seeing
Spoiler:
the lone gunmen. But then I know they look quite different now.
Spoiler:
They were present at the club during Mulder's trip.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't really enjoy this last episode either. Something just isn't working for me with how the show is being presented. It was like Mulder turned into Hank Moody for 5 minutes. I'm trying to be positive about this whole thing but I was kind of hoping with a 6 episode arc they'd be tight as hell. Maybe I'm still secretly harboring ill-will because of the path the original run of the show, but I'm just not into this version of Mulder or Scully. I really thought this last episode was going to have some type of misdirection or twist, but nope - it was straight up Muslim terrorist action meets the X-files. I also agree that it was a weak-ass showing of TLG, but I guess it made sense. I think the Were-Monster episode is still the best of the new run, followed by the first episode. Considering this final one next week is returning to that story line, hopefully they finish strong.

EDIT: Holy crap - Lauren Ambrose is 37?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think they really hurt themselves by doing just 6 episodes. There wasn't enough time to focus on the mythology while still doing the monster-of-the-week episodes that made the show so much fun. I know people like to crap on the mythology episodes (especially as things wore on), but they were really crucial to tying everything together and establishing and reinforcing the motivations and personalities of the characters. With just 6 episodes, we don't have enough depth to see how Mulder and Scully have evolved over the last 20 years, and without that reestablishment of their characters, the MOTW episodes aren't as much fun. Even the Were-Monster would have been a lot more enjoyable if it were somewhere around episode 10-12 of a full season.

One thing I don't want to see: A spin-off following the exploits of Miller and Einstein. :naughty:

[edit]Sounds like I'm crapping on the season, and I'm not meaning to. I'm still enjoying it - I just think it would have been so much better as a full season.[/edit]
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that last episode was certainly heavy handed. But it did contain some Tom Waits, so at least there was that.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote:I think they really hurt themselves by doing just 6 episodes. There wasn't enough time to focus on the mythology while still doing the monster-of-the-week episodes that made the show so much fun.
It doesn't know if it's a tribute or a pilot or a sequel or a reboot, and it doesn't succeed at being any of those. Although it has its moments, I hope it doesn't become a zombie existence of six episodes at a time with an uncertain future.

Agree that I really don't want a spinoff with those new agents. They're ok as occasional foil characters.

Wife thought that was Lauren Ambrose. I thought it was Allison Pill. Apparently she was right...and apparently those women were separated at birth.