X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Post by Daehawk »

LINK

Not sure on this one. Like I posted on IGN I think the 1990's were a special time for tv and shows like Xena, Hercules, and The X-Files. Im just not sure it would be the same. That was 20 years ago.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Re: X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote:LINK

Not sure on this one. Like I posted on IGN I think the 1990's were a special time for tv and shows like Xena, Hercules, and The X-Files. Im just not sure it would be the same.
Unless they wandered down the hallway and found the Fringe unit.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think it could work. They would have to focus on other myths, new stuff, and of course, stuff that popped up in the years since the show ended.

They could also explore more of the world too.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I could welcome a spinoff or reboot with new actors, but propping up Mulder and Scully seems sad and cynical.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

See, I would only be interested if it were the original actors. And no alien conspiracy bs. Just weird paranormal things.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

They're both old. Which doesn't mean they'll be bad in the role. However, their time is done in the show as the leads. Their characters have pretty much done all that they could.

Better that they're used sparingly as support characters, and backup for new leads. Agent Dogget could be there too.

You know what, I bet they have a Slenderman episode.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Canuck wrote:See, I would only be interested if it were the original actors. And no alien conspiracy bs. Just weird paranormal things.
It needs some conspiracy bs, just not the alien stuff. Otherwise it is just Supernatural with badges.

I could see Mulder and Scully heading a small division/office, with a few field agents under them, then having the show focus mostly on the field agents.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

When I watched t0eh show as it progressed I preferred the weird stuff over the alien stuff however when I watched the box sets in a big hit teh alien stuff worked a lot better.

I loved the show and would be happy for Mulder and Scully to come back and add a couple more key players and make it a team job, you could spread out more and have more than 1 storyline going if needed, there is certainly room for a sci-fi / weird / monsters / aliens all in 1 show
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rumor no more - it's official:
“The X-Files” gang is getting back together for a six-episode limited series that has formally been given a series order by Fox.

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will be back as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. Series creator Chris Carter will be at the helm for 20th Century Fox TV and Ten Thirteen Productions. Production is set to begin this summer although Fox has not yet set an air date
I WANT TO BELIEVE
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least it win't wear it its welcome. As much as I loved the show in the early years, that ardor had cooled by the time the T-1000 took over, and the film didn't do much to rekindle it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:At least it win't wear it its welcome. As much as I loved the show in the early years, that ardor had cooled by the time the T-1000 took over, and the film didn't do much to rekindle it.
1st film was fine, never saw the second
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nor did I. I got confused while researching earlier because the first film was during the run.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The second film felt like a really well-funded extended episode. It was rather dark.

I had started re-watching the entire series last year (before getting a dog and fence completely derailed my exercise routine) and I was amazed at how many absolutely awful episodes there were early on. There's zero chance S1 of that show would have survived 8 episodes before being cancelled in 2015. Zero. The fact that they aired 24 episodes in the first season and then another 49 during the next two is amazing to me.

If they could scratch together a solid 6 each year or use the current cable-tv 12 episode standard? They might be able to craft a seriously good show.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote:
I had started re-watching the entire series last year (before getting a dog and fence completely derailed my exercise routine) and I was amazed at how many absolutely awful episodes there were early on.
This is true for a bunch of now classic shows from the 80s or 90s. When's the last time you've watched the first season of ST:TNG or Seinfeld? They are both pretty terrible and would never have lasted more than a season if they were on today.
Black Lives Matter
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

6 episodes to either get it right, or screw it up.

I wonder if the paycheck is one of the main reasons why the 2 stars are getting back
on the horse?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably not. They're both pretty well established elsewhere at this point. It's probably more of the fact that their ego (mainly his, I never was under the impression she thought the show was beneath her) is back into a realistic realm and the realization they can maybe cap off and finish what should have been theirs alone to end.
DD*

Post by DD* »

X-Files is one of those shows that I was supposed to like but I just never got into it.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: If they could scratch together a solid 6 each year or use the current cable-tv 12 episode standard? They might be able to craft a seriously good show.
If the six episode run is a hit, one option would be to basically make it a sci-fi / conspiracy theory version of True Detective.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I notice that both Amazon and Netflix have the series available to stream. I may take this opportunity to re-watch it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:I notice that both Amazon and Netflix have the series available to stream. I may take this opportunity to re-watch it.
That's what I did via Amazon Prime to un-load and I think I made it almost to the end of Season 3. I'd read through the Wiki pages of each episode to pick up any random trivia or interesting bits about the story or the actors. Now that I'm re-loaded I should really try to figure out a way to get back into it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So excited, I watched the show from the very beginning. It was so cool to see other people discover my secret show.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Everything X-Files did (and I enjoyed it) Fringe did better (well, except have a cute redhead lead).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daveman wrote:Everything X-Files did (and I enjoyed it) Fringe did better (well, except have a cute redhead lead).
Not so sure about that. In particular X-Files had some pretty humorous episodes, which I don't think Fringe ever did.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To this day The X-Files still has claim to the episode that freaked me out the most of any tv ep ever...that damn inbred southern family. Ugh shivers still.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Grifman wrote:
Daveman wrote:Everything X-Files did (and I enjoyed it) Fringe did better (well, except have a cute redhead lead).
Not so sure about that. In particular X-Files had some pretty humorous episodes, which I don't think Fringe ever did.
But... Walter Bishop! Singing corpses!!??
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fringe was great, but by the end every episode was part of the convoluted main story arc, such that you rarely had any idea what was happening. X-Files' main arc wasn't all that much clearer, but it was moderated by more variation in the episodes.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daveman wrote:
Grifman wrote:
But... Walter Bishop! Singing corpses!!??
I'll take X-Files meets Cops any day. Hard to beat that one!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think the earlier comparison to Supernatural was a good one, even if it was used as an example of what not to do.

However, Supernatural has had quite a big storyline running through all the episodes. Even if most episodes do seem like monster of the week, every season they've gotten better at weaving in and out of the big story.

Another thing is that, I don't think we can ever have a style of show like the original X-Files again, mainly because X-Files was so new, it didn't need a bit of self-awareness in it because it was new enough that people could buy into it. Nowadays, if they tried to play X-Files straight again, it would feel more strange than natural.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Grifman wrote:So excited, I watched the show from the very beginning. It was so cool to see other people discover my secret show.
Remember the shows that use to be on before the Xfiles time slot?

The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr.

Then they had another show that was on in another slot, Mantis.

I was there from episode 1 also. By season 2 my uncle had joined me in watching. We would talk
about the show during lunch the day after, comparing mental notes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JSHAW wrote:The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr.
Wiki wrote:When the series was being promoted in the summer of 1993, Fox Entertainment chief Sandy Grushow said that if Campbell "isn't the next big television star, I'll eat my desk."
Oh, and bring back Strange Luck! :horse:
theohall

Post by theohall »

Turtle wrote:They're both old. Which doesn't mean they'll be bad in the role. However, their time is done in the show as the leads. Their characters have pretty much done all that they could.
Gillian Anderson looked damn good in "The Fall" on Netflix.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Grifman wrote:
Then you clearly didn't watch much of Fringe. As someone else already mentioned... Walter Bishop!

"Asterisk! Could you be a dear and get me some tea?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He is freaky in Sleepy Hollow.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

theohall wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Then you clearly didn't watch much of Fringe. As someone else already mentioned... Walter Bishop!

"Asterisk! Could you be a dear and get me some tea?"
I watched a fair amount of Fringe but other than Bishop, I don't remember it as being particularly funny or humorous. Nor do I remember there being near the amount of humor as in some X-Files episodes. I'm going to need a lot more than exclamations of "Oh, my, Walter Bishop" to convince me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Every single episode of Fringe with Walter (which I'm pretty sure was 90% of the episodes) had funny parts. Totally different than entire episodes of X-Files which were intentionally written to be funny.

They're still shows cut from the same cloth. "Better" is so hard to argue. Both had great characters. Fringe probably had better, consistent writing and an actual plan for the plot. The X-Files was a victim of the TV programming mentality of the 1990s where 22+ episodes a season was normal. If they only had to write 12 the show would have been tight as hell.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I still laugh at the episode with the OCD vampires or the one with the alien insect probes and Mulder constantly calling Scully and her reaction to the entomologist's name .... "Her name is Bunny!?!?"
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

In other X-files news, Netflix seems to have quietly switched their copies from SD 4:3 to HD widescreen versions (presumably what was on the Blu-ray release) in just the last few weeks. I had watched the first three episodes a few weeks ago, then watched episode 4 last night, and it was suddenly full screen and full of detail. Went back and checked, episode 3 had been updated too, so I assume they all are.

So, no better time to rewatch it!
Twitter: joerumz
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So, do they do some kind of retro-fake HD to update the picture? Was any of the original series shot in HD?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote:So, do they do some kind of retro-fake HD to update the picture? Was any of the original series shot in HD?
It just doesn't add up!

I bet this goes all the way to the top.
Black Lives Matter.