Go Duke!!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RLMullen

Go Duke!!

Post by RLMullen »

While Duke's basketball team was working the hardwood, take a look at what Duke's researchers have been up to...

Killing Cancer.

A jaw dropping story.
Daehawk

Re: Go Duke!!

Post by Daehawk »

Cancer research fraud at Duke?

LINK 1

LINK 2
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Daehawk wrote:Cancer research fraud at Duke?

LINK 1

LINK 2
I'm pretty sure those links refer to a different doctor doing different treatment than what RLMullen posted. Does it suck? Of course. But unless you think that incident is evidence of a systematic attempt to fake cancer research at Duke, then it really doesn't have much to do with the current research.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
Duke University will pay $112 million to settle a whistleblower lawsuit after federal prosecutors said a research technician's fake data landed millions of dollars in federal grants, the school and the government said Monday.

The private university in Durham submitted claims for dozens of research grants that contained falsified or fabricated information that unjustly drained taxpayer money from the National Institutes of Health, the Environmental Protection Agency and other federal agencies, the U.S. Justice Department said. The school said it is repaying grant money and related penalties.
The lawsuit was first filed in 2015 by whistleblower and former Duke employee Joseph Thomas. The Justice Department took it over afterward. The suit claims the faked research was conducted by former research technician Erin Potts-Kant, who was supervised by pulmonary medicine researcher William Michael Foster. Foster's lab experimented with mice, seeking to determine the effects of inhaling diesel exhaust, among other tests. Several research papers by Foster's team were later retracted.
The settlement was announced on the same day that U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles had scheduled a hearing on why the deal supposedly struck in November hadn't been finalized by the Justice Department.

The government alleged that between 2006 and 2018 Duke knowingly submitted faked data to federal agencies in 30 grants. The university had warning signs that some of the research was fraudulent but didn't act until discovering in 2013 that Potts-Kant had siphoned off money for spending on clothes and other items, the lawsuit said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Screw Duke. They rejected my kid this year even though he had way better scores than their average admissions. The college admission process is a joke. I know we have a thread on it, but I'm too pissed to wade into it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jag wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:34 pm Screw Duke. They rejected my kid this year even though he had way better scores than their average admissions. The college admission process is a joke. I know we have a thread on it, but I'm too pissed to wade into it.
You should be happy, your son was spared :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jag wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:34 pm Screw Duke. They rejected my kid this year even though he had way better scores than their average admissions. The college admission process is a joke. I know we have a thread on it, but I'm too pissed to wade into it.
They rejected me despite my scores and grades being above their averages, and it still pisses me off 30 years later. Go Blue!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Grifman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 pm
You should be happy, your son was spared :)
+1

The undergrads at Duke are the worst.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

You probably should have upped your bribe.
Black Lives Matter.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:07 pm
They rejected me despite my scores and grades being above their averages, and it still pisses me off 30 years later. Go Blue!
He is 99% sure going to Michigan. So Go Blue indeed. He's been a Wolverine fan since his alum mom swaddled him in maize and gold, so that's something.