[TV] Daredevil Season 1, et al.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

[TV] Daredevil Season 1, et al.

Post by hentzau »

Reminder, the first season hits today on Netflix. I watched the first episode this morning (instead of getting ready for OctoCon), it seemed to hit all of the right notes.

Although, that brings up a question...what is the spoiler etiquette for a TV show that releases an entire season at once?
Last edited by hentzau on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Re: [TV] Daredevil Season 1

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd say you tag spoilers for at least the first week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I've watched the first two episodes and so far the show seems like a winner.

Only, aspect of the show that is already getting tiring is flashbacks
Spoiler:
OK, I get it your experiences with your dad made you into what you are when it comes to adversity. No need to keep hammering into my head, Hell, starting to feel like I am watching Kung Fu in the 70's
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Odin

Post by Odin »

Daredevil wins. That's pretty much all there is to say. I'm two or three episodes into it and it's nailed every aspect you'd want a TV show to hit - the writing, the acting, the action, the humor, the MCU references, the easter eggs, everything. If they can maintain this level, this is going to be an absolute classic show.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just finished the first 2 episodes. So far it's been great. There's a fight scene in the 2nd episode that is fantastic; better than in any recent movie that I can remember.

One question for those that have gotten this far (but not farther, since you'll know more than I do):
Spoiler:
Does the girl from True Blood know that her lawyer is the man in the mask? I assumed after the first episode she did, but the second episode made me wonder.
Black Lives Matter
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I just finished the first 2 episodes. So far it's been great. There's a fight scene in the 2nd episode that is fantastic; better than in any recent movie that I can remember.

One question for those that have gotten this far (but not farther, since you'll know more than I do):
Spoiler:
Does the girl from True Blood know that her lawyer is the man in the mask? I assumed after the first episode she did, but the second episode made me wonder.
no
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Wow. Two episodes in and this is making Agents of SHIELD look like amateur hour. This is what a Batman series made by HBO would feel like.

Edit: And holy crap I cannot wait for Luke Cage now.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Hamlet3145 wrote:Wow. Two episodes in and this is making Agents of SHIELD look like amateur hour. This is what a Batman series made by HBO would feel like.
As much as I like Agents of SHIELD, and I do like it, I have to agree that Daredevil operates on an entirely different level of quality and... whatever the TV equivalent of the term "film-making" would be. If they can maintain that quality, I'll be really happy.

I did have one question that I don't think is a spoiler (well, the question isn't - if the answer is, then by all means hide it) - the gym that Matt works out in has a name that's similar to or possibly the same as his partner's first name. Is there some relationship there? I liked that at that gym there was a crumbling poster on the wall foreshadowing an upcoming flashback. And the fact that this show foreshadows flashbacks is just one example of how complex the show is.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

tru1cy wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I just finished the first 2 episodes. So far it's been great. There's a fight scene in the 2nd episode that is fantastic; better than in any recent movie that I can remember.

Spoiler:
no
But
Spoiler:
it really seemed like her attitude about him changed after being saved. That scene where she made dinner for him and his partner made it seem like they were in on a secret together. Plus she 1) heard him talk and 2) saw him with a mask covering his eyes. And presumably he didn't just leave her after rescuing her.
Black Lives Matter
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
tru1cy wrote:

Spoiler:
no
But
Spoiler:
it really seemed like her attitude about him changed after being saved. That scene where she made dinner for him and his partner made it seem like they were in on a secret together. Plus she 1) heard him talk and 2) saw him with a mask covering his eyes. And presumably he didn't just leave her after rescuing her.
keep watching
Jag

Post by Jag »

How violent? More or less than Arrow? My 11 year old would love it but it looks kind of rough. I let him watch Arrow but I'm not a fan of all the killing in the show.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jag wrote:How violent? More or less than Arrow? My 11 year old would love it but it looks kind of rough. I let him watch Arrow but I'm not a fan of all the killing in the show.
Yeah, there were a couple scenes in the first few episodes that made me uncomfortable. Not sure I would let an 11 yr old watch it. At the least, maybe screen the episode before hand and see.

I'm enjoying it so far. I'd put it above Gotham and SHIELD, but below Flash. Slightly above Arrow for now, IMO.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Jag wrote:How violent? More or less than Arrow? My 11 year old would love it but it looks kind of rough. I let him watch Arrow but I'm not a fan of all the killing in the show.
It's by far the most violent Marvel show/movie. Arrow violence is restrained by comparison.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

After 2 episodes I'd put it a hair behind Arrow and ahead of Agents of SHIELD (I haven't seen Flash or Gotham). Its grittier and more real than Arrow; I would not have let my sons see it at 11 but I wouldn't have been against it at around 14 or 15.

My biggest issue with the show is how (realistically) poor the lighting is.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Thanks guys. That's what I thought.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The fight scene at the end of episode 2 is just pure awesome sauce. It makes the fight scenes in arrow look like the power rangers. The thing I hate about arrow is that the fight scenes are so over choreographed. It almost looks like they are dancing with each other. In comparison daredevil is dirty and it makes it seem like the fights really do take a toll on the hero.
FTE
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

After the end of episode 3 I would definitely not want my kids to see it until 15 or 16. I appreciate the fact that we see the fights taking a toll on Matt. I appreciate the darker tone and more realistic look at the limitations of vigilantism. The ending is still brutal.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Madmarcus wrote:After the end of episode 3 I would definitely not want my kids to see it until 15 or 16. I appreciate the fact that we see the fights taking a toll on Matt. I appreciate the darker tone and more realistic look at the limitations of vigilantism. The ending is still brutal.
Yeah, I was watching that with my family (kids 15, 14, and 11) and we were all like "WHOA!! Didn't see that coming!!" I don't think it bothered them overly, but it certainly was a surprise.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Are you referring to when
Spoiler:
the Kingpin kills the Russian by slamming his head and neck in the car door until he decapiates him? Yeah that was brutal and no way would I be showing it to a younger kid
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That was episode 4.

Episode 3 is when
Spoiler:
the killer that they defended spiked himself on the fence rather than live with having given up Fisk's name.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:Are you referring to when
Spoiler:
the Kingpin kills the Russian by slamming his head and neck in the car door until he decapiates him? Yeah that was brutal and no way would I be showing it to a younger kid
Nope.
Spoiler:
When the killer impales himself after giving up Fisk's name.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:
IceBear wrote:Are you referring to when
Spoiler:
Nope.
Spoiler:
When the killer impales himself after giving up Fisk's name.
Yeah, that was bad too.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Episodes 1-4 felt very gritty and real. Matt had senses and skills but I got the feeling that he was getting almost as beat up as the losers of the fights. He was all guts and willingness to go all out but he didn't seem to be that much better of a fighter than the guys he was taking on. Episodes 5-7 have taken it up a notch. He enhanced senses have gotten even better (sensing that they are MP7s with silencers from the rooftop?) and he's a much better fighter.

He's now getting to be the Daredevil I expected from my limited comic experience but it seems fairly inconsistent.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like everyone but Charlie Cox. It's not that he's doing anything bad, I just don't see him as Daredevil. I was worried about that when they announced his casting, but I hoped it would work out.

But I love what Vincent D is doing with Kingpin. And the actor playing Foggy is better than I expected. The stories are good, the fighting cinematic, and I'm really enjoying it all.

I just wish they'd cast someone else as Matt Murdoch.
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I'm now 3 episodes in and have to agree with the compliments that fight scene in episode 2 is getting. I'd dare say that's the best fight scene I've seen since The Avengers.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I finished episode 2 yesterday afternoon, and it was amazing. I need to go back and watch it again...it felt like it was filmed in a single take. I know there were a couple of spots where the could have used camera trickery to cut away, like when nobody was fighting in the hallway, but impressive nonetheless.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hentzau wrote:Yeah, I finished episode 2 yesterday afternoon, and it was amazing. I need to go back and watch it again...it felt like it was filmed in a single take. I know there were a couple of spots where the could have used camera trickery to cut away, like when nobody was fighting in the hallway, but impressive nonetheless.
According to the fight director it was filmed in 1 take. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/13/ ... n-one-shot Which makes it even more impressive.
FTE
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scraper wrote:
hentzau wrote:Yeah, I finished episode 2 yesterday afternoon, and it was amazing. I need to go back and watch it again...it felt like it was filmed in a single take. I know there were a couple of spots where the could have used camera trickery to cut away, like when nobody was fighting in the hallway, but impressive nonetheless.
According to the fight director it was filmed in 1 take. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/13/ ... n-one-shot Which makes it even more impressive.
Damn that's some good work! I loved how claustrophobic the scene was and how part of the fighting took place off screen. At the end of that I felt that Daredevil really worked for that win.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I didn't like it because it wasn't all camera jerk like most fights you see in movies these days :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm really liking everything about this show. I kind of wish the Kingpin was a little more physically impressive, as in the comics they make him out to be just slightly smaller and weaker than Hulk from those times I've seen him (I'm not exactly a Kingpin devotee - or a Daredevil expert, for that matter), but I like how he's being played (and my kids freaked when I told them it was the same actor as the "Egger suit" from Men in Black).

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the season, and I can already tell that the only thing that's going to really bug me is going to be the wait for the next season after I've binged on this one. It's good enough that I might well watch it again, which isn't something I often do.

And as I was watching it the other day, I was thinking about how somebody here didn't care for the flashbacks. I actually like them, and I think they're probably borrowed to some extend from Arrow, which has a somewhat similar feel to this show, at least superficially. And that's fine with me - Arrow in some ways redefined the superhero TV show, and if Marvel wants to set it as an example to build on, that's cool.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will always remember a quote from the Kingpin in the comics when he noted that everyone mistook his bulk for fat...when it was actually pure muscle. I always found that silly, but I guess that's what they're going with in this series.

What I love about Vincent's portrayal is that he gives the character this almost child like humility at times, but we all know that he's a freakin' Moriarty with the ability to take your head off with his bare hands (or a car door).

Although I do have a question:
Spoiler:
What was the purpose of the fiber like substance that was revealed as being under his suit in episode 4? Is that covered later, or is it something I was supposed to understand?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
It was body armor. He's well aware that people will want to kill him and is prepared for it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Spoiler:
I thought that was just showing he was wearing kevlar or something.
Last edited by stimpy on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, that's what I thought, but the way they kept focusing on it made me think it was supposed to be more significant.
Hamlet3145 wrote: Edit: And holy crap I cannot wait for Luke Cage now.
You and me both, brother. I've been a Luke Cage fan since the days of Power Man and Iron Fist. I would kill for an appearance by Danny in the series.
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

hepcat wrote:I will always remember a quote from the Kingpin in the comics when he noted that everyone mistook his bulk for fat...when it was actually pure muscle. I always found that silly, but I guess that's what they're going with in this series.

What I love about Vincent's portrayal is that he gives the character this almost child like humility at times, but we all know that he's a freakin' Moriarty with the ability to take your head off with his bare hands (or a car door).

Although I do have a question:
Spoiler:
What was the purpose of the fiber like substance that was revealed as being under his suit in episode 4? Is that covered later, or is it something I was supposed to understand?
It will be made clear what it was later on.

Btw, I finished the series on Saturday and I really enjoyed it. I like the foreshadowing that they do
Spoiler:
Stick showing up in episode 7 was really enjoyable. Matt getting his ass handed to him by Nobu (who is a Hand Ninja if you didn't know). Also the fallout from Foggy finding out was handled well. Also. Having Mr. Potter AKA The Gladiator was awesome. Lastly, that fight between Kingpin and DD un episode 13 was pretty good
Overall, I think the series did well for the MCU
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

I finished the season...

Loved the show. All of it.

The end.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Stayed up nearly all night watching this (and the episode of Game of Thrones) and somehow got through 6 episodes. The cinematography in this show is amazing. I love when they keep the camera in place and let action happen off camera and then come back to it. The hallway fight scene is impressing me even more as I think about it, especially if, as they say, it was 1 take. I can't think of a better fight scene at the moment. I mean I was thinking how much I enjoy the finale fight from The Avengers after the "Hulk? Smash." but that was more a collection of fight scenes with, obviously, a huge amount of special effects. I guess the only thing you could compare the hallway scene to is Jackie Chan movies, which is extraordinary praise, especially for an American show.

I do have to say I'm not impressed with the dude who plays Foggy, though. His acting seems the low point on the show. I like the character, but the guy's acting is not up to snuff.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

cheeba wrote:\The hallway fight scene is impressing me even more as I think about it, especially if, as they say, it was 1 take. I can't think of a better fight scene at the moment. I mean I was thinking how much I enjoy the finale fight from The Avengers after the "Hulk? Smash." but that was more a collection of fight scenes with, obviously, a huge amount of special effects. I guess the only thing you could compare the hallway scene to is Jackie Chan movies.
I got a definite Gareth Evans' The Raid feel off that scene. If you haven't already seen it, I'm betting you'd like it. I would go so far as to say that scene was almost an homage to his work.

edit: Actually, I would say it's an homage Oldboy's hallway scene, as someone mentioned earlier. Still, The Raid has a lot of scenes that play out like that.
I do have to say I'm not impressed with the dude who plays Foggy, though. His acting seems the low point on the show. I like the character, but the guy's acting is not up to snuff.
I really like him. He captures the Foggy I always envisioned from the comics almost perfectly. In the courtroom scene in episode 3, you can see him still reacting to everything around him even though he's barely in focus. I love that he went that extra mile for a throwaway scene for his character. Little things like that have impressed me about his performance.
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Odin wrote:I'm really liking everything about this show. I kind of wish the Kingpin was a little more physically impressive, as in the comics they make him out to be just slightly smaller and weaker than Hulk from those times I've seen him (I'm not exactly a Kingpin devotee - or a Daredevil expert, for that matter), but I like how he's being played (and my kids freaked when I told them it was the same actor as the "Egger suit" from Men in Black).

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the season, and I can already tell that the only thing that's going to really bug me is going to be the wait for the next season after I've binged on this one. It's good enough that I might well watch it again, which isn't something I often do.

And as I was watching it the other day, I was thinking about how somebody here didn't care for the flashbacks. I actually like them, and I think they're probably borrowed to some extend from Arrow, which has a somewhat similar feel to this show, at least superficially. And that's fine with me - Arrow in some ways redefined the superhero TV show, and if Marvel wants to set it as an example to build on, that's cool.
I liked when he and Vanessa were on a date and she was talking about the prince who was dressed all in white with an ascot and how the Kingpin scoffed at it :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Finished over lunch today. Enjoyed it, although for some reason I thought the last episode was a little flat. Really that's only in comparison to the rest of the season being so awesome.

Anyone heard when Jessica Jones will hit? I know it's this year (and that Luke Cage and Iron Fist are 2016), but that's all I've found.