[TV] Daredevil Season 1, et al.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Odin

Re: [TV] Daredevil Season 1, et al.

Post by Odin »

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this. I loved DD season 1, and this looks like it's going to be terrific.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got my wife to watch Jessica Jones, mainly on the presence of Tennant. She's seen bits and pieces of Daredevil, and has no desire to join me in watching it.

Oh, well. More fodder for the bike rides once I finish Arrow Season 1.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even my overpowering hatred of ninjas in movies and tv will not prevent me from watching season 2 of Daredevil.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Even my overpowering hatred of ninjas in movies and tv will not prevent me from watching season 2 of Daredevil.
What you talking about, hepcat?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote:my overpowering hatred of ninjas
hepcat wrote:my dad used to make us go out trick or treatin' every halloween as ninjas and would dress us head to toe in non-reflective black cloth...then tell us that "eyeholes are for girls!".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ninjas are the most overused character class in any action show with even a hint of Asians in it. I hate their backflipping, burka wearing, gang/mystical hand sign making, wall to wall split hanging, aerodynamically awkward star throwing, slipper footed, kneeling in front of a guy in white selves.

There. I've said. :snooty:

edit: Thanks for the trip down memory lane, AWS! :lol:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:Ninjas are the most overused character class in any action show with even a hint of Asians in it. I hate their backflipping, burka wearing, gang/mystical hand sign making, wall to wall split hanging, aerodynamically awkward star throwing, slipper footed, kneeling in front of a guy in white selves.
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On that note: two weeks ago I bought a new TV from Best Buy and had them deliver it. The day of the delivery, these two huge gentlemen show up with it at my door. I let them in and the first one through the door of my living room looks over and sees this big action figure of the Tick that I've had for years (someone gave it to me at a former workplace) over the faux fireplace. At which point he suddenly yells out "SPOON!". :lol:
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Final Trailer Looks like they nailed Elektra in this adaption. Also , more Stick and The Hand

Binge watching starts on Friday!!!!
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

tru1cy wrote:Binge watching starts on Friday!!!!
Thursday night, soldier!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isn't the 18th a Friday?
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:Isn't the 18th a Friday?
Yes, but midnight Friday is Thursday night. :tjg:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, they put 'em up at midnight the day of? I did not know that. Cool!
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:Oh, they put 'em up at midnight the day of? I did not know that. Cool!
Yes, although I think it's midnight Amazon time, aka 3 am Eastern.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Amazon time?

And yeah, I ain't stayin' up that late. I needs me beauty sleep! I'll just binge watch a few over the weekend.

I'm almost done with House of Cards latest season. Seems I'll be finished just in time.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As a GenXer that was a teen during the resurgence of the Punisher, this new trailer has me giddy. He's one of my favorite characters, hands down.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Gah - why does it have to debut during the NCAA tournament???!!!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just found out that Netflix is apparently broadcasting it in HDR. Since I have this brand spankin' new 65 inch 4k tv that is HDR capable sitting in my living room now, I'm doubly excited for the premiere. :D
He won. Period.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote:I just found out that Netflix is apparently broadcasting it in HDR. Since I have this brand spankin' new 65 inch 4k tv that is HDR capable sitting in my living room now, I'm doubly excited for the premiere. :D
But not if you watch it on a PC. For TV you need a 4k capable receiver like the Roku 4.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If his TV is anything like mine, it has a Netflix app that will handle it just fine.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Always fun to Isg Isg.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I'm eager to watch it tomorrow. I'll be curious about how the costume goes over for DD as a lot of fans didn't like the "full blown" one in the season 1 finale. I was OK with it but I remain puzzled why costume designers seem convinced a scarlet red DD costume won't work on film or TV and think what we really want to see is brown leather?

I mean, if you're patterning yourself after the devil, why would you go for a glossy brown leather design that looks like a Samsonite suitcase? :? I get we won't get red spandex per se. I just think they oughta give him a little bit more actual red in his outfit. Or change his name to Brownie Man. :mrgreen:

Doesn't look like Elektra's outfit will get to be red either, aside from sort of splash of scarlet (maybe it's a scarf).

I call an end to red-discrimination. :P

I've glossed over a few initial Season 2 reviews, and everything seemed pretty enthused aside from an EW one where the reviewer seemed to have an axe to grind about The Punisher as a concept and Charlie Cox in general. Super Hero Hype's only kvetch was it wanted more graphic violence for the Punisher kills, which I dunno -- perhaps with all the mass shootings happening, they weren't comfortable focusing on bodies getting eviscerated by bullets per se.

Elektra apparently shows up in about...
Spoiler:
Episode 6, they seem to say.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote:If his TV is anything like mine, it has a Netflix app that will handle it just fine.
Yup. Smart tv's have been around a long time. Actually, the roku 4 can't even do HDR.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What do you mean by HDR? UHD?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Never mind. I let me Google that for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

High dynamic range. It makes the contrast between light and dark look amazing. Shafts of light are bright and realistic. Scenes of a sun in the sky almost hurt your eyes. It:'s being called a bigger jump in picture quality than 4k. My Sony 850c got a firmware update while back that enabled it. It:s pretty damn impressive.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

blackjack wrote:I'm eager to watch it tomorrow. I'll be curious about how the costume goes over for DD as a lot of fans didn't like the "full blown" one in the season 1 finale. I was OK with it but I remain puzzled why costume designers seem convinced a scarlet red DD costume won't work on film or TV and think what we really want to see is brown leather?

I mean, if you're patterning yourself after the devil, why would you go for a glossy brown leather design that looks like a Samsonite suitcase? :? I get we won't get red spandex per se. I just think they oughta give him a little bit more actual red in his outfit. Or change his name to Brownie Man. :mrgreen:

Doesn't look like Elektra's outfit will get to be red either, aside from sort of splash of scarlet (maybe it's a scarf).

You're colorblind. This is not brown:

It's a very dark crimson.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Grifman wrote:
blackjack wrote:I'm eager to watch it tomorrow. I'll be curious about how the costume goes over for DD as a lot of fans didn't like the "full blown" one in the season 1 finale. I was OK with it but I remain puzzled why costume designers seem convinced a scarlet red DD costume won't work on film or TV and think what we really want to see is brown leather?

You're colorblind. This is not brown:

It's a very dark crimson.
Agree, watched it again last night, it's red on red. The lighting is what makes it not bright.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm only 2 episodes in, but S2 delivers thus far.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Yep.
Spoiler:
"Bang."
:shock:
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

In my color defense, this is what I'd been seeing:

While I can point out plenty of other muddy brown images from both seasons, it does seem to just be a trick of the light :oops: , and they understandably keep him in shadows, so I'll just shaddap about it. If folks want to call me a color blind bat, then I think Matt Murdock would approve. :)

I caught episode 1 in the morning.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The actor playing Foggy steals every scene he's in. They really picked the right actor for that role.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I just started episode 6 and I'm so hooked. I LOVE this show. Jessica Jones was good, but at its best it still fell short, for me, of the top Daredevil episodes.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

There's more action in one particular 5 minute clip of Daredevil than there was in all of Jessica Jones. Daredevil is so much better. I'm loving every episode so far. I think I've finished 6 of them. Very mild casting spoilers through episode 6.
Spoiler:
Really, the first several episodes were more "The Punisher" than "Daredevil", but I don't mind that. I was worried about Shane from The Walking Dead playing Frank because to me he's always gonna be Shane, but he NAILED the role. The graveyard scene was excellent. Elektra seems fun so far as well, so gotta applaud the casting.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Agreed. I thought that I didn't like Berenthal, but it may just be that I disliked Shane because he played the character so well. He's terrific as Punisher.

I don't know Electra much beyond the Daredevil movies and spin-off, which I've largely forgotten, but the character is entertaining enough in the show so it works for me.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thank god for Netflix so I can fast forward through every scene that includes Karen Page.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, her acting leaves a lot to be desired.

And I agree with everyone else on Berenthal. He's just fantastic as the Punisher. The final moments of episode 4 were painful to watch solely because he made it work so damn well.
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I'm almost done as I made it to episode 11 last night. They season is coming along nicely with plenty of Easter eggs tossed in at the right places

My only real complaint Stick and Elektra related
Spoiler:
There is no way Elektra could take Stick in a fight, but they had her almost beating him. I also call bullshit with Stick being kidnapped so easily by The Hand
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Odin

Post by Odin »

Moliere wrote:Thank god for Netflix so I can fast forward through every scene that includes Karen Page.
???

I'm baffled by this. She's not lighting up the screen or anything, but I haven't noticed any issues. She certainly hasn't made me want to reach for the remote.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wow, what a great ride this season was! There were tons of plot lines going on and lots of surprises along the way, they really did a great job of bringing them all together. Highlights:
Spoiler:
The stairwell right scene surpassed the hall fight scene of last year.

Bernthal was great as The Punisher but Jung as Elektra stole the show. She was absolutely fabulous and was mesmerizing in just every scene she was in. Interestingly, she actually has a black belt, I think in karate.

One batch, two batch; penny and dime

The rooftop discussion between Punisher and DD was great.

The fights were really great. Daredevil has upped his ante but so have his opponents. But prison fight with the Punisher was something else and one of the most brutal things I've seen on TV.

Seeing Kingpin again was a surprise and always great. His confrontations with Punisher and Murdock were highlights.

Geeked out when DD got his new batons. Using them to "fly" around the city like in the comics was really cool.

Comments related to Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were great. Bring on The Defenders!

They really left a lot of stuff unresolved and hanging. Do I really have to wait another year?! I'm already dying here!!!
FYI there are already rumors that both Bernthal and Yung will each get their own series. Both of them really gave strong performances and I'm up for either both.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton