[TV] Daredevil Season 1, et al.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Re: [TV] Daredevil Season 1, et al.

Post by noxiousdog »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
naednek wrote:I liked JJ too, but I think she's hard to like just because of her personality. The actress playing JJ did a great job, she's not supposed to be likable.
I think there is a fun comparison of JJ being a good person, trying to keep everyone away by acting like an asshole vs. DD being an asshole trying to keep people by claiming righteousness.

JJ is still an asshole, she just embraces it. She's not a sociopath though.

DD is just a martyr which fits right into his Catholicism.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I liked Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones, though I thought the show itself was average at best. There was more action in Daredevil's season 1 hallway scene or season 2 stairway scene than there was in all of Jessica Jones, unless you count her relentless war against locked doors.

I've been thinking about it, and I don't think they should have a Punisher show. He was perfect just like this - as a side-character. Let's be frank (hah!) he's not exactly a complex character. I'd be worried his series would be too monotone. Give him 2 or 3 episodes in all of the other shows they're doing and he's perfect.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jessica is a detective, not a vigilante.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

The show isn't about her being a detective, either.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Just finished it last night. Liked it a lot, though not as much as Season 1. A few thoughts:
Spoiler:
The story seemed more convoluted this season compared to last, possibly because they had too many story lines going on. I liked the Punisher story line but The Hand/Black Sky part just didn't get enough time to be effectively told, IMO.

In general, The Hand stuff seemed forced. How many damn ninjas are there in NY? And how can 20 ninjas scale a hospital, be seen by hospital staff and patients and still remain under wraps/dismissed?

More than I remember last season, there were way too many Deus ex machina moments. Just a few examples: Daredevil saving Stick from Elektra (how did he know where Stick was?), Daredevil saving multiple people from the Punisher, the Punisher saving Daredevil, the Punisher saving Karen, etc. In most of these cases, these people just showed up without much beforehand indicating that they even knew where to go.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I spaced 'em out and just finished season 2 this past weekend. I think it started strong, then started to taper off. But to be honest, the inclusion of ninjas in any show dramatically reduces my enjoyment of said show. They're like the Cousin Oliver of action shows.

Also, it was distracting to see the horde of ninjas patiently waiting their turn to attack our heroes in any given fight scene. The reason evil never wins is because it can never wrap its mind around the concept that you can actually attack your enemy with more than two henchmen at a time, for christ's sake.

I would've preferred they remain focused on Jon Bernthal's Punisher the entirety of the season. The exploration of what it means to be a vigilante to the public, and to the authorities, was a great story line, I thought.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Every tv show or film that shows the enemies dogpiling the hero then shows the hero crawling out from the bottom of it while the enemies continue to beat on each other, or the poor slob that was first on, etc.

Given that I am not an expert on group fighting techniques, I leave the idea of what would actually work to others.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote:Every tv show or film that shows the enemies dogpiling the hero then shows the hero crawling out from the bottom of it while the enemies continue to beat on each other, or the poor slob that was first on, etc.
I've only seen that in slapstick comedies. In any action film that I've seen in which they truly gang up on someone, that person usually ends up in the hospital, recovering from extensive injuries; or dead.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unsurprising news is unsurprising. (Really, it was all but guaranteed since he's in Defenders.)

Still, good.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

S3: 10/19/18

Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

These seasons are coming so close together. I have such little time to watch TV that we haven't even started the latest Iron Fist yet. We've got a few episodes of Orange is the New Black left, then maybe we'll get done with Iron Fist by the time Daredevil comes out.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

msteelers wrote:These seasons are coming so close together. I have such little time to watch TV that we haven't even started the latest Iron Fist yet. We've got a few episodes of Orange is the New Black left, then maybe we'll get done with Iron Fist by the time Daredevil comes out.
A crossover of all the Netflix shows would maximize watching efficiency. I would love to hear the conversation between Jessica Jones and a time traveling Anne With an E.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Did we see Kingpin in the white suit in season 1? It looked great there in the trailer.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:24 pm S3: 10/19/18
I haven't even started season 2 of Luke Cage. How can there be too much Marvel Netflix to keep up with!?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
Yea! The whole plot revolving around The Hand was pretty underwhelming so it will be good to have a proper villain again hanging about the city.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Day-um.... did not see that coming. Looks good.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, for the first time in a while, I'm honestly looking forward to a netflix marvel show again.
Covfefe!