[TV] Daredevil Season 1, et al.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Odin

Re: [TV] Daredevil Season 1

Post by Odin »

IceBear wrote:I liked when he and Vanessa were on a date and she was talking about the prince who was dressed all in white with an ascot and how the Kingpin scoffed at it :)
Well dammit - I'm glad you mentioned that, because it went right over my head at the time.

So have they said when season 2 of this show would happen, or is it

Daredevil Season 1
Jessica Jones Season 1
Luke Cage Season 1
Iron Fist Season 1
The Defenders (or whatever it's called)
Daredevil Season 2
etc.

Because I'm not super-keen on waiting until 2017 or beyond to see more of this excellent show.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Well it's now 4:30am and I binge watched the last half of the series. Awesome. I now want all Marvel stuff to be Netflix series rather than movies. And how am I supposed to enjoy Agents of Shield now?

On a technical standpoint, it looks like my nephew screwed with some settings somewhere on my Roku or TV but I can't find it. All the signs in the series had German subtitles. But it was only the signs. It wasn't under CC, I had that set to off and English anyways.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I forgot to add that Vincent D'Onofrio speaking Chinese is the vocal equivalent of riding a bicycle on train tracks.
Odin

Post by Odin »

We made it up to the penultimate episode last night and whoa - what a ride. The constant suspense of "will this or that character be killed??!?" was actually palpable. There were a number of things I never saw coming and I was right on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to see the final episode. What a rush! They'd better get working on Season 2 PDQ!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote:Anyone heard when Jessica Jones will hit?
No date, only " late 2015" has been stated. Maybe it will be something they release around the Thanksgiving holiday so people can sit at home and go crazy watching it. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Odin

Post by Odin »

Finished the last episode tonight. I said to my family "That series was so awesome I can't stand it." They all heartily agreed. The finale episode didn't quite surpass the best of the best from the rest of the season like I'd hoped, but it was a solid capstone and nicely wrapped up the season as a whole. I suspect I'm going to watch it several more times, which isn't really something I commonly do.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wow, what an amazing series, I don't know really where to begin . . .
Spoiler:
First off, D'Onofrio was fantastic, easily the best villain since Ledger's Joker, and in my mind maybe even better. Rather than a one note baddie twisting his mustache, he was a multi-layered character, vulnerable yet violent, awkward yet powerful, solicitous yet unforgiving. What a great character. The most awesome moment was at the end when he told the Parable of the Good Samaritan, when he said that he used to think he was the Samaritan (the good guy) but he finally realized he was the evildoer that set upon the ones who went where they should not have gone.

Cox was great too, struggling with how far he should go to fight evil. The religious angle was also interesting because so few shows really go there. His slow transformation into Daredevil was a great journey. I loved how everyone kept commenting on his need for something better to fight in, sort of got to be running joke. I loved the first time he showed up with the batons on his hip, you knew what was coming. And too, his highlight of course was in the last episode when he donned the costume/uniform for the final battle, flying/jumping all around, using the batons, it was just right out of the comics.

There were no throw away characters. Foggy and Karen were great as was Claire the nurse and Ben (RIP). I loved the interaction between them all and how they were fleshed out, with their own stories and motivations. A great ensemble cast, which the show was much stronger for.
The only bad thing is I can't wait for next year!

PS Question:
Spoiler:
What was the "Black Sky"? They never explained that.
Or is this something likely to be revealed later in another season?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Great article on the evolution of Daredevil's fights:

http://io9.com/the-evolution-of-daredev ... 1697998580
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heh . . .
Spoiler:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just finished episode 4 last night. Hell of an episode.
Spoiler:
When the Russian walked into the restaurant I turned to my daughter and we simultaneously said "Well, he's dead."
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I think I may be a somewhat dissenting voice. While I enjoy it I am up to episode 5 so far I am not loving it. The violence while very real in feel and effect isn't something I am enjoying watching.

On a personal level I am enjoying The Flash way more, I like the more relaxed, comic style rather than the realistic agressive style of Daredevil. I can see why people are loving the show but for me I like that kick that drops them in 1 or spin and move that takes out 3 people in one, sure it's not realistic but it's fun and while the show is well filmed, acted and the action very realistic it isn't fun for me.

I find the whole russian gangsters / Fisk stuff rather boring and the same old drug dealing, prostitution and mafia style baddies a tad bland, it's not terribly exciting.

I find myself watching it inspite of everything it is rather than because of what it is. It certainly won't stop me watching it all or any of the other series that are coming but it's not something I will rush to watch again.

Things I really like though are the intro which is great, I like the DD actor, don't know him but he works for me. The actual Hell's Kitchen setting is great and very atmospheric and it's well filmed.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Reemul wrote:I think I may be a somewhat dissenting voice.
Oh there's no question about it - you're in the minority by a pretty substantial margin from all I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, I love Flash and Arrow as well and count myself lucky that such high-quality genre shows are on TV since I have zero interest in sports, police procedurals, reality shows, and 98% of the dramas or sitcoms on TV. But while I enjoy Flash and Arrow, they've never blown me away the way Daredevil did. It was, IMO, a real step above in terms of all the key elements. And the way the main character has to really work to defeat his enemies is a plus for me, particularly after a season or two of Flash and Arrow decimating the bad guys, often without breaking a sweat. No show ever pleases everyone, though - as long as you find some entertainment in it, that's probably good enough.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Odin wrote:
Reemul wrote:I think I may be a somewhat dissenting voice..
Oh there's no question about it - you're in the minority by a pretty substantial margin from all I've seen.
Oh I don't know, 25 people on a forum isn't that large a group ;).

What I have been doing is enjoying the revival of Superhero stuff with my Son who is 8.

We have watched most of the 12a rated films as well as anything superhero based that is age suitable as well as The Flash. Watching it with him and seeing his face light up, him getting out his massive DC and Marvel directories to find it more information is delightful in only a way a father watching his son enjoy the stuff he does can be.

We are stoked for Avengers 2 and Antman and he was well up for Daredevil. I watched a couple first to check and obviously it's not suitable for an 8 year old and I think I miss him being with me. I end up watching them at midnight once everyone is in bed and I have some time free.

I think a lot of the enjoyment is in the shared enjoyment as much as the show itself.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Reemul wrote:
Odin wrote:
I actually didn't mean here.
I think a lot of the enjoyment is in the shared enjoyment as much as the show itself.
I know that was a big part of it for me. Watching with my family and enjoying the funny lines, the suspense, the close-calls, and the hard-won victories was pretty great.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Odin wrote:
Reemul wrote:
Odin wrote:
I actually didn't mean here.
I know that was a big part of it for me. Watching with my family and enjoying the funny lines, the suspense, the close-calls, and the hard-won victories was pretty great.
I know, that was what the wink for, it was a bit tongue in cheek as it seems generally very popular.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Reemul wrote: I find myself watching it inspite of everything it is rather than because of what it is. It certainly won't stop me watching it all or any of the other series that are coming but it's not something I will rush to watch again.
And yet you've watched 5 hours of it in one week. :P

...I tease, I tease. :wink:

Sounds like you're more of a silver age comic lover. Those comics were geared more towards younger audiences. Since you're exploring the genre with a young son, I can see that having more appeal. Flash is great for family enjoyment, yet doesn't sacrifice on the story telling for adults.

But for a character like Daredevil, who has always existed in a world that's just depressing and ominous, I think the show's tone is perfect.
Covfefe!
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I like Daredevil, it is actually very similar to Arrow (First season)

I think:
Night avenger Arrow > Night Avenger Daredevil
both guys have the same mission (really), Arrow seems more on target with his

Daredevil's evil guy Fisk > Arrow's evil guy Malcolm
Both guys have the same mission, Fisk is just far more compelling

Arrow Sidekicks (Diggle/Felicity) > Daredevils (Foggy & Karen)
kinda get bored with the Foggy and Karen scenes

Fight Chorography --- Daredevil > Arrow
(but once again Arrow more convincing - Daredevil just overpowers everybody and it just makes the fight scenes seem staged instead of a battle over life and death)

Daredevil thus far has no super villain of the week, Arrow is full of them and it makes Arrow less interesting to me.
Daredevil bad guy set up far superior to Arrow

Oliver's (Arrow) back story is so interesting it could make for a series by itself. Matthew Murdocks (Daredevil) back story is just backstory and is actually pretty much the same as 60s tv show Longstreet, that had Bruce Lee as the Martial arts instructor. I got a great kick out of Scott Glen being the Daredevil's martial arts instructor. He was in a great, but little known Martial Arts movie called "The Challenge." If you know the story of that movie, it is supremely ironic that Glen ends up a master in this series.

Kind of interesting that Dc's Arrow was super violent when he started out killing many criminals for almost the full first season before turning a new leaf. Marvel's Daredevil has taken the DC Superman route and has vowed not to kill.

Daredevil also has another fascinating character. Fisk's girlfriend.

I have went through 9 episodes and will definitely finish the series either tomorrow or Monday. Can't say if I will commit to season 2, but I will finish season 1.
AKA: Dajjer
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

D.A.Lewis wrote: I got a great kick out of Scott Glen being the Daredevil's martial arts instructor. He was in a great, but little known Martial Arts movie called "The Challenge." If you know the story of that movie, it is supremely ironic that Glen ends up a master in this series.
To me, he'll always be Glaeken.
Covfefe!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

D.A.Lewis wrote: Daredevil's evil guy Fisk > Arrow's evil guy Malcolm

Daredevil also has another fascinating character. Fisk's girlfriend.
I know I'm in the minority but I really don't like Fisk or his girlfriend. The actors are good but nothing about their time together on screen is compelling to me. I know its not going to happen but the more I see of Fisk the more I expect his assistant to secretly be running everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I felt the same way about Fisk after his first appearance. He felt...awkward. Unformed. But then I realized something: this is just as much an origin story for the Kingpin as it is for Daredevil. We're seeing a Kingpin who has the brains and wile to become an overpowering crime lord, but still has some spark of humanity in him (albeit a slowly diminishing one). He still questions his actions. He still doubts his decisions. That made me realize just how much Vincent D is bringing to the character with his halting speech and uneasy performances...except when he explodes in rage. Then you can see the Kingpin to be.

I'm still undecided about the girlfriend though. In the comics, she was the one thing that made him human in a way. She saw in him some goodness, and more than once Fisk almost walked away from his criminal empire after she issued an ultimatum that it was her or his illegal endeavors. In the series though, she seems to be the polar opposite. She's the one goading him towards becoming the Kingpin.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grifman wrote:PS Question:
Spoiler:
What was the "Black Sky"? They never explained that.
Or is this something likely to be revealed later in another season?
A couple theories.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

D.A.Lewis wrote:I like Daredevil, it is actually very similar to Arrow (First season)

I think:
Night avenger Arrow > Night Avenger Daredevil
both guys have the same mission (really), Arrow seems more on target with his

Daredevil's evil guy Fisk > Arrow's evil guy Malcolm

Arrow Sidekicks (Diggle/Felicity) > Daredevils (Foggy & Karen)
kinda get bored with the Foggy and Karen scenes
I'll agree with the first two, but I have to disagree with the Karen scenes. I think she is a fantastic actress, and as hot as Felicity is, Karen is waay hotter. I also like Foggy and the interaction between him and Daredevil much better. All around better actors, IMO.
D.A.Lewis wrote:Fight Chorography --- Daredevil > Arrow
(but once again Arrow more convincing - Daredevil just overpowers everybody and it just makes the fight scenes seem staged instead of a battle over life and death)
Here I'm going to have to throw a big HUH?? at ya. How can you not see Daredevil's fights as life and death? He's getting effed up in just about every one; you can see if not actually FEEL the damage and punishment he takes, and the bruises and cuts carry over from one episode to the next, sometimes for three episodes. Hell, I think he took more damage in Ep. 2 alone than Arrow took in the first season (ok, maybe an exaggeration, but not by much...). Daredevil choreography trumps Arrow by far.

Overall, my FAVORITE aspect of Daredevil is the lack of teen-angst CW drama that Arrow has. I got my fill of that with Smallville; who does Clark love? Lana? Chloe? Lois? Back to Lana? Ignore Chloe this week? New hot chick only to find out she's been kryptonited, and is using a love potion power on Clark at the whim of Lex? Does Lex even like Clark? Or are they best friends? Has Lex been toying with us the whole time?

Blah. Give me Daredevil beating the shit out of everyone any day.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Some aspects of the show seem poorly thought out. At one point a character is surrounded and mobbed by a bunch of people, then next we see him he's walking around freely in a completely different area from those people, what happened? Another time someone is threatened(best scene of show imo) and doesn't mention it to the other person who is also threatened(but who doesn't know it) until much later...and even then only says "we may be at risk". MAY?!?! The main character can pick up massive amounts of information just by listening, yet he doesn't simply plant himself in the corrupt police station and absorb it all. There's at least two times I can think of where he got valuable info just by listening in on those cops, but I guess that's cheating or something haha.

Overall though I enjoyed it. D'Onofrio's performance was interesting to me because it was as if Pvt Pyle had survived boot camp and went all Col Kurtz in Vietnam, then returned home to Hell's Kitchen. I kept thinking too bad Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando didn't have an awesome fight scene in Apocalypse Now. Foggy grew on me, at first he was too goofy but his character improved. This show has a distinctive visual style, which I always appreciate. There are so many otherwise good shows that don't make the effort to look like anything other than a standard tv show.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finished the series yesterday. Really enjoyed it. I thought the final episode felt a little rushed and would have preferred more closure, but that aside, all around pretty great.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ep 11:
Spoiler:
Poor Wesley.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote:Ep 11:
Spoiler:
Poor Wesley.
Spoiler:
I found it interesting that he tried the "You don't really think I'd put a loaded gun on the table, do you?" line on Karen... and I'm thinking to myself - yes, yes I do - let's find out! :twisted:
-mf
Odin

Post by Odin »

Daredevil renewed for a second season! Woo!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woot!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Oh, boo. You kind of buried the lede since a renewal was a given. The current show runner is out for season 2.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Zaxxon wrote:Oh, boo. You kind of buried the lede since a renewal was a given. The current show runner is out for season 2.
I was so excited I actually just skimmed it and then came here and posted it. :D

It's not ideal, but it's also not as if the guys taking over are outsiders. I didn't know this year's showrunner from Adam, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

DeKnight's credits include running the various Sparticuses, and working on Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

DeKnight wrote and directed a couple episodes I thought too.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Odin wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Oh, boo. You kind of buried the lede since a renewal was a given. The current show runner is out for season 2.
I was so excited I actually just skimmed it and then came here and posted it. :D

It's not ideal, but it's also not as if the guys taking over are outsiders. I didn't know this year's showrunner from Adam, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hmmmm, the series lost some steam when it dealt with the "lovey dovey" stuff. I hope they "don't" try to fix that next season. But I do hope they continue the show like it's a mini series. The show had a very nice arc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think for season 2, I'll start a drinking game. Every time Deborah Ann Woll looks down (or looks at someone sideways) while talking to someone instead of looking them in the face, you have to do a shot.

I fully expect to be drunk 4 minutes into any show in which she's heavily featured.
Covfefe!
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Malificent wrote:DeKnight wrote and directed a couple episodes I thought too.
Deknight wrote three and directed the last episode
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

hepcat wrote:I think for season 2, I'll start a drinking game. Every time Deborah Ann Woll looks down (or looks at someone sideways) while talking to someone instead of looking them in the face, you have to do a shot.

I fully expect to be drunk 4 minutes into any show in which she's heavily featured.
The thing I noticed more about her is she's so cheerful about everything. Even in scenes that were serious she has this look on her face like she's about to smile. Considering the hints about her character's past, I don't know if I should think that's explained in her character's back story or just a limitation of her acting ability.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm fairly certain she was hired for her beauty first...and her acting chops a distant ninth.

Maybe I'm just misremembering her time on True Blood, but I thought she was capable of more than the one note performance she gives on Daredevil.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It's interesting how much Daredevil broods about killing bad guys, but he has no qualms when it comes to torturing information out of them. Almost every episode has him breaking bones until they give up the information. I guess it helps that he always knows if they're lying since no one would have an elevated heart rate during a fight and follow-up torture routine with a masked man in a dark alley unless they were withholding information.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's an important distinction when it comes to military intelligence for most countries, so it makes perfect sense to me. :wink:
Covfefe!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

A good Catholic boy is used to torture but Thou Shall Not Kill is firmly ingrained.

While they are focused on the heart beat thing, I think there are several things (temperature, how much they are sweating, etc) taken together that he uses to decide if someone is lying. Agreed that I would probably react the same way when being tortured but I am fine with accepting his superhuman ability to note the difference between tortured bad guy and tortured lying bad guy