Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Isgrimnur

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 am

When Frosty comes home, we will not be spared.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:13 pm

That planet needs a sammich and some dust clouds. It's looking a little too thin.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Mordor: Shadow of War, Curious Expedition

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Kraken wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:07 am
Also, OSIRIS-ReX slipped into orbit around Bennu, which is only news because it's really hard to orbit a body that has basically no gravity.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Moliere

Post by Moliere » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Hubble trouble
A hardware problem has put the main camera onboard the Hubble Space Telescope out of operation, according to a brief statement released by NASA today (Jan. 9).

The issue with the Wide Field Camera 3 occured on Jan. 8 at 12:23 p.m. EST (1723 GMT), according to the statement. NASA did not provide any details about the glitch itself beyond saying that it was caused by a hardware problem and that the camera carries redundant electronics that could be used to get the instrument running again.

It's not clear how long it will take to address the malfunction. It comes as NASA, like other agencies of the federal government, is partially shut down, and has been since Dec. 22, because Congress and President Donald Trump have failed to agree on a budget.
Silver - 3k

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:27 am

Astronomers Glimpse a Luminous Object Born From a Star’s Death
“It was very clear that it was not a normal supernova,” says Raffaella Margutti, an astrophysicist at Northwestern University, one of the many scientists who followed the mystery object, known as AT2018cow.

The alleged supernova was dozens of times brighter than any supernova on record. It reached its peak luminosity in two days and faded after 16 days. This, on the vast timescales of the universe, is extremely fast—faster than astronomers had ever seen.

According to current understanding in astronomy, this scenario should not be possible. The brightest supernovae usually come from the deaths of the biggest stars. These are slow affairs: The more material a dying star expels, the longer it takes for the afterglow of the explosion to reach its peak radiance. How could the mystery explosion flare so brightly and fade so quickly?

“It’s weird to see something that’s bright and evolving fast,” explains Iair Arcavi, an astronomer at Las Cumbres Observatory, a global network of ground-based telescopes. “It’s kind of a contradiction.”

When astronomers took a closer look at telescope data, they saw an unusual excess of X-rays. “Our first reaction, when we got that data, was maybe we made some mistake, because we’ve never seen that,” Margutti said. It meant that, deep in the core of the explosion, there was a source of X-rays so persistent that it would shine through the material surrounding it.

That gave the astronomers a clue about what they could be looking at. Almost all massive stars are thought to produce new astrophysical objects when they die— either a black hole or a neutron star. Black holes are invisible maws that gobble any material—gas, dust, entire stars—that comes near. Neutron stars are fast-spinning cores of tightly packed neutrons, the stripped-down versions of their progenitors. Both are extremely dense objects capable of violently whisking surrounding material. Margutti and her colleagues suspect that, in this case, those effects were enough to produce an unusually radiant light show.

The telescope, they’ve concluded, had captured the creation of a brand-new astrophysical object, either a black hole or a neutron star, for the first time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:35 am

I wish more than other objects they could retrieve Hubble and bring it home to a museum. We can put stuff up there but cant get it back safely still.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am

Daehawk wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:35 am
I wish more than other objects they could retrieve Hubble and bring it home to a museum. We can put stuff up there but cant get it back safely still.
There is some speculation that the SpaceX Dragon capsule could reach Hubble and repair/maintain it indefinitely. Nothing official yet, but it is being discussed.

Meanwhile, NASA can't try to revive it due to the government shutdown.

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Apparently steam-powered spacecraft are a thing. Sort of. Potentially.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Dont forget the huge Super Blood Wolf Moon eclipse this Sunday.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... e/70007122
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk