SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by Daehawk »

God forbid a company tests it's own products. Better to pay out huge lawsuits later.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

SpaceX rocker collapses in on itself. Made it a little too flimsy.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Curiosity rover captures high-resolution panorama of its home on Mars

Enlarge Image
NASA's Curiosity rover has been delighting those of us on Earth with stunning photos of Mars since it landed in 2012. But its latest image is a detailed panorama that surpasses all others, stitched together using more than a thousand photos.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Soon, when Voyager 2 phones home, it's going to get a busy signal. The only radio dish that can send signals is going offline for upgrades to handle a spate of other deep-space missions. We'll still be able to listen, but not talk. If something goes wrong, V'Ger is on its own.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats the weather like out there Ollie? ......ITS HOT!!.....Thanks Ollie.

This new exoplanet is so hot it rains liquid metal

Astronomers detected a distant exoplanet with iron rain.

Iron is vaporized due to high daytime temperatures and then condenses into rain as it moves to the cooler night side, becoming rain.

The planet is located 640 light years from Earth and was studied using ESO’s Very Large Telescope.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't do all virus all the time

https://futurism.com/the-byte/nasa-mars ... elf-shovel
NASA’s InSight lander, which is currently on the surface of Mars, has faced some unexpected problems during its mission to explore and study the planet.

Namely, a digging probe that was built to burrow beneath the surface like a jackhammer got stuck because Mars’ soil is clumpier than scientists expected, Popular Science reports.

After a few failed attempts to get it out, NASA had to get a bit creative. Ultimately, it freed the probe up by giving it a solid thwack with InSight’s shovel.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if that works on politicians?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 pm Image
:P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

James Webb Space Telescope put on hold due to virus.

https://www.space.com/coronavirus-impac ... sions.html
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

NASA mulls restoring Saturn V to service as SLS delays mount
"Achieving the President's goal is our number one priority," said an anonymous agency insider, "and with the continuing delays in the SLS program, we've decided that the only way to meet, or even beat that goal is by looking to our heritage."

The abrupt cancellation of the Apollo program meant that there were several major components left over, including Saturn V rocket stages and Lunar Modules, some of which were in relatively flight-ready state at the time. Certainly when compared to the SLS.

"The plan," the insider told us, "is to take the Saturn V at Kennedy [Space Center] and launch that from the launch platform we've had sitting around for SLS.

"The engineers have already performed the adaptations necessary, and we're confident that we could launch in the coming weeks rather than the years needed for SLS."
Spoiler:
Notice the dateline. :lol:
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is pretty neat - reprocessed images from Apollo 13.

Just one of them showing the improved detail - click to embiggen.

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MSN
Intelsat's IS-901 satellite is nearly 20 years old, and well beyond its expected lifespan, but a small spacecraft built by Northrop Grumman succeeded in docking with the satellite and giving it another five years of service, the companies announced on Friday.

The feat is a space industry first, as extending the life of spacecraft already in orbit has only been done with human help before – such as the Hubble telescope servicing missions conducted by NASA astronauts.
MEV-1 traveled out to the satellite, matched its orbit and then successfully docked with IS-901. In the process, MEV-1 took one-of-a-kind images of IS-901, as a geosynchronous satellite had never been seen from the view of another spacecraft before.
IS-901 has now returned to service, with MEV-1 essentially fueling and steering the satellite. MEV-1 will provide five years of life extension services to the satellite before returning IS-901 to an orbit for decommissioning. Then MEV-1 will be available to provide extension services for other satellites in orbit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

raydude

Post by raydude »

I've been working so hard on the technical end that I didn't realize there's more info on the DART main page:
https://dart.jhuapl.edu/

Especially in the Gallery section. More stuff there that I haven't seen before.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

raydude wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:31 pm I've been working so hard on the technical end that I didn't realize there's more info on the DART main page:
https://dart.jhuapl.edu/

Especially in the Gallery section. More stuff there that I haven't seen before.
Super cool. Do you work directly with Bruce Willis, or solely via remote conferencing solutions?
raydude

Post by raydude »

LOL. Speaking of Bruce Willis, I was just in a meeting and we were told to never reference the Bruce Willis movie when talking about DART. To which I am disappointed because he and I share the same current hairstyle.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

raydude wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:46 pm LOL. Speaking of Bruce Willis, I was just in a meeting and we were told to never reference the Bruce Willis movie when talking about DART. To which I am disappointed because he and I share the same current hairstyle.
:lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope scientists never say "Whoops, while testing ways to make inbound objects change course we accidentally made one come right at us"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That was cooler than I expected it to be. I hadn't realized how much work the SLS main stage has to do.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:48 am This seems pretty not-great...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05 ... -be-worse/
Need to know what his "bad decision" was. I suspect it has to do with the lunar lander contracts. Or Boeing. Or both.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote:

Need to know what his "bad decision" was. I suspect it has to do with the lunar lander contracts. Or Boeing. Or both.
Same, but I haven't seen any of the space journalists I follow get anything but speculation.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The space telescope formerly known as WFIRST gets a name.
Today, NASA announced that it is naming its next-generation space telescope, the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST), in honor of Dr. Nancy Grace Roman, NASA’s first Chief Astronomer, who paved the way for space telescopes focused on the broader universe. The newly named Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope (or Roman Space Telescope, for short), is set to launch in the mid-2020s.

Dr. Roman is credited with making the Hubble Space Telescope a reality, leading to her nickname "mother of Hubble." In the mid-1960s, she set up a committee of astronomers and engineers to envision a telescope that could accomplish important scientific goals. She convinced NASA and Congress that it was a priority to launch the most powerful space telescope the world had ever seen.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its both nice and a shame its named that. Nice that its for her and she deserves it. Shame that she has the same name as that moronic attention whore bitch on tv. :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Examining Crew Dragon’s launch abort modes and splashdown locations
It’s a cliché statement to say Demo-2 will usher in a new era for human space exploration. That much is certain.

But with each new crew launch vehicle comes the inevitable question: how will Crew Dragon actually perform a launch abort and how will it aim itself to predetermined locations in the Atlantic Ocean stretching from the Kennedy Space Center across to the western Irish coast?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case you were planning to come witness the first launched of Crewed Dragon: Safety Alert/Traffic Advisory Issued for SpaceX Crewed Launch Visitors
BREVARD COUNTY, FL. – Brevard County Emergency Management wants to remind residents and visitors to think safety first and foremost as you make plans for watching the return to human spaceflight with Wednesday’s historic SpaceX Crew Dragon rocket launch from Kennedy Space Center.

The launch, scheduled between 4:27 p.m. and 4:37 p.m. Wednesday, will generate a variety of potential safety obstacles for those who want to venture out for the launch. First, there’s the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. For your own safety, and to help you avoid becoming infected or unknowingly infecting others with the virus, the Centers for Disease Control has issued social distancing guidelines to keep 6 feet between yourself and others, to avoid groups of 10 or more people and to avoid mass gatherings. As we saw during the Space Shuttle program, Brevard County beaches and parks are prime viewing areas. Please be sure to protect yourself and others by following the CDC social distancing guidelines.

Traffic is also a concern because there is a limited amount of north/south and east/west roadways that lead to prime viewing locations. When gridlock occurs, that’s not only frustrating for motorists, but it also poses major safety issues for law enforcement, fire and ambulance units that might need to respond to an emergency. For your own safety and the safety of others, please obey traffic laws, don’t park on the side of roadways, stay alert and watch for pedestrians, and be prepared for significant traffic delays before and after the launch. There will be increased law enforcement presence.

Multiple agencies have worked together to develop a traffic plan to help motorists get to and from the launch, including some changes to traffic patterns. Please take heed and be aware that a left or right turn onto a roadway you might normally take may not be available on launch day in an effort to keep traffic delays to a minimum. The launch plan is viewable at https://www.cfltim.com/ (Click on Launch Traffic Plan.)

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is planning to control traffic flow on SR 528 and SR A1A, particularly at exits for George King Boulevard on Port Canaveral. Post launch, all eastbound 528 traffic will be directed south on SR A1A to 520 westbound. Traffic lights on SR A1A will be modified to expedite traffic flow. SR 401 will be open but limited to commercial and official traffic heading to the Port’s northside operations and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Visitors may use the Waze smartphone app to monitor traffic and be alerted of parking availability. Waze will be continuously updated with countywide parking availability. Public parking will be limited in some areas, including access to popular launch viewing points at Port Canaveral. Traffic in and around the port will be controlled.

Brevard County Emergency Management will be using social media -- @BrevardEOC and @BrevardCo_FL on Twitter; Brevard County Emergency Management and Brevard County Government on Facebook – to provide residents and visitors with updates on traffic snarls and parking lot status. You can also text BrevardEOC to 888-777 for text alerts.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:34 am
Kraken wrote:

Same, but I haven't seen any of the space journalists I follow get anything but speculation.
From Space.com, an interview with Doug Loverro: Why did NASA's human spaceflight chief Doug Loverro abruptly resign?
Spoiler:
NASA has yet to offer an explanation as to exactly why the agency's human spaceflight chief abruptly resigned on the eve of a historic launch.

Doug Loverro served as the associate administrator of NASA's Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate for less than seven months before he resigned from the position on Monday (May 18) — nine days before two NASA astronauts are scheduled to launch on a SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft on a test flight to the International Space Station.

According to Space Policy Online, in a statement emailed to the NASA workforce, Loverro said that he took a "risk" and "made a mistake," but he did not elaborate on what exactly prompted his resignation. Space.com spoke with Loverro to try to get an explanation about the nature of the "mistake."

While he would not disclose the circumstances that led to his resignation, Loverro did take the opportunity to dispel some rumors propagating on the internet.

So, while we don't yet know exactly what happened at NASA's human spaceflight division, we at least know what didn't happen, according to Loverro.

First, Loverro said that the reason for his resignation had nothing to do with NASA's commercial crew program, which has contracted SpaceX and Boeing to begin launching astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS). The timing of his resignation just before SpaceX's first crewed test flight to the ISS has led to some speculation that Loverro's "mistake" was related to the upcoming launch.

"The biggest false rumor, the one that I was most concerned about and I think the agency was most concerned about … was that there was a problem with the commercial crew launch coming up next week that I resigned over, and nothing could be further from the truth," Loverro told Space.com. He added that there has been "no indication" that the launch could be delayed because of the shakeup at NASA.

Space.com also asked if the resignation could have been prompted by a recent audit by NASA's Office of Inspector General (OIG). On March 25, the OIG announced on Twitter that it was opening an audit into NASA's acquisition strategy for its Artemis program, which aims to put humans on the moon in 2024.

"That IG report is an acquisition-related report that was started by the IG just the way they start other things, they select certain things to look into and to see how the agency is doing," Loverro said. "It's so completely different. It happens to be contemporaneous, but it's completely different than anything that would happen that affected this."

Several media outlets have speculated that Loverro's mistake may have happened during the procurement process for human landing systems that will take NASA's Artemis astronauts to the moon. On April 30, about two weeks before Loverro resigned, NASA announced the three teams the agency has selected to develop the Artemis moon landers: SpaceX, a Blue Origin-led team and Dynetics.

In the process of awarding those contracts, Ars Technica reported that several sources said Loverro may have violated the Procurement Integrity Act, which "prohibits the release of source selection and contractor bid or proposal information" before a contract is awarded, according to the Department of Justice. In other words, those sources alleged that Loverro may have unlawfully leaked information about the companies selected to build human landing systems before the decision was publicly announced.

Loverro declined to comment on that theory, adding that he could only address the other two rumors about the commercial crew program and the OIG investigation. When asked if the circumstances of his resignation will be made public in the future, pending an investigation into his mistake, Loverro said, "I can't tell you that. I don't know that there will ever be any more details." Space.com reached out to NASA for comment, and a spokesperson said they "are unable to discuss personnel issues"

Whatever Loverro did, it apparently had something to do with NASA's Artemis program — and with the lofty goal of putting humans on the moon in brand-new spacecraft just four years from now.

"Look, I made the calls I thought I needed to make in order to go ahead and make the mission happen. And obviously the mission was to get to the moon by 2024," Loverro said. "So, I don't think I can deny that there is a difference between the things that I chose to do and the need to go ahead and get there in 2024."

Loverro added that he does not foresee his resignation affecting the ambitious timeline for Artemis.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Mot sure if this has been posted here before.... First time I've seen something like this. (Looped 60 times for who knows what reason.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Falcon 9 Crew Dragon Launch Weather Criteria (click to enlarge)

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
Virgin Orbit’s test flight ended in failure shortly after LauncherOne dropped from under the company’s carrier 747 airplane [Cosmic Girl]. Virgin Orbit confirmed that the drop was successful and that the rocket’s main engine ignited. But then it quickly suffered some kind of anomaly at the beginning of the flight. The company says no one was hurt during the test and the team will be digging into the data to learn what went wrong.
LauncherOne is loaded up with a weighted dummy payload that the company has treated like an actual customer’s satellite. That means the team has been handling it with care and even cleaning it, as if it were the real thing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did they give themselves a refund?
LauncherOne is loaded up with a weighted dummy payload
Wait, does that mean Trump was on board? :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just in case you wanted to know: SpaceX's Crew Dragon has a new space toilet for astronauts. But how does it work?
SpaceX has a new toilet! So, to answer the burning question of every kid (and most adults): what is this space toilet like?

The company's new waste removal system (that's space talk for a toilet) is set to launch aboard the Crew Dragon capsule tomorrow (May 27) as part of the Demo-2 test flight to the International Space Station. Veteran NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley will launch on this historic mission from NASA's Kennedy Space Center. But they won't arrive at the space station until the next day (May 28), so it's important that there's a toilet on board.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And what the heck, here's another interesting article: SpaceX crew first to forgo mission patch for launch since Gemini
The first NASA astronauts to launch from the United States in almost a decade will also be the first American crew in 55 years to lift off wearing spacesuits that lack a mission patch.

It is not that SpaceX's first mission to fly with astronauts does not have an official insignia — in fact, it has two — but rather, it was a choice made by the company to not add either patch to the pressure garments that crew members Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley will wear when they board the Dragon spacecraft for launch. The commercial mission, dubbed Demo-2 (DM-2), will resume U.S.-based spaceflights from Kennedy Space Center in Florida since the space shuttle was retired in 2011.

Although a relatively minor detail in the context of a technically-challenging and history-making flight, the absence of a mission patch on the astronauts' pressure suits breaks a colorful tradition that dates back to NASA's Gemini program. Up until the Demo-2 mission, 158 NASA crews donned spacesuits adorned with either an embroidered or silkscreened insignia representing both themselves and their flight's objectives before boarding an American spacecraft and lifting off for space.
I've got tons of the patches from the Shuttle era as they were passed out post-launch to the firing room teams. For more than half the program they were the classy embroidered cloth patches :D , but later on they were just the plastic peel-and-stick kind :?
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:54 pm I hope scientists never say "Whoops, while testing ways to make inbound objects change course we accidentally made one come right at us"
One does wonder about the butterfly effect when we go messing around with flight paths of interstellar objects.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Solving the space junk problem
Space is getting crowded. Aging satellites and space debris crowd low-Earth orbit, and launching new satellites adds to the collision risk. The most effective way to solve the space junk problem, according to a new study, is not to capture debris or deorbit old satellites: it's an international agreement to charge operators "orbital-use fees" for every satellite put into orbit.

Orbital use fees would also increase the long-run value of the space industry, said economist Matthew Burgess, a CIRES Fellow and co-author of the new paper. By reducing future satellite and debris collision risk, an annual fee rising to about $235,000 per satellite would quadruple the value of the satellite industry by 2040, he and his colleagues concluded in a paper published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

2020 in a nutshell: "O hai, I heard you had a major launch scheduled for today that will bring folks together and serve as a spot of light in an otherwise terrible timeline. Here's a tropical storm right in your abort path for today. Kthxbye."